GEICO

Getting the Interview

33 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Claims Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online after hearing about openings from a friend who worked there. The next morning I received a call from HR asking for a phone interview. I was asked to complete an online personality assessment and received a callback shortly after to schedule an appointment to come into the office for testing. My testing took approximately 6 hours. Needless to say I was not thrilled with spending several hours waiting between role-playing exercises, computer based tests, and multi-tasking tests.

Interview Question – When would you like to start?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation since salaries are set by corporate. It's a take it or leave it type of situation

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in March 2013.

Interview Details – First was the phone interview where they asked basic questions: Why are you leaving your current job? How many times in a year did you call out without a 24 hour notice? They then scheduled me for the 2nd phase of the hiring process which was the computer based test. Its hard but they tell you over and over that its suppose to be. They check for typing speed and accuracy as well as how fast and accurate you can listen to fake calls and type the info in the required fields. 3rd phase is if you pass the computer test which is the face to face interview. They ask the typical interview questions. My interviewer was especially tough. After that they give you paperwork and simulate calls. I signed paperwork that I would not go into detail about that part. After that, the interviewer tells you how you did and more interview questions. THEN you come back for the next phase which is the 1 hour of shadowing and then interview with the floor manager. Then you're done (after the drug, criminal, and credit background tests)

Interview Question – Imagine you're working for Geico and we are promoting a faster way to pay online. I caller calls in to make a payment and as you try to explain the new and fast way to pay they immediately say they are not interested. What do you do?   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – None. It is already set.

Stafford, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – The Interview at Geico comes in between stages of testing. I was fortunate and was able to pass every one of the the test, If I had failed i would not have been able to interview. After the first test, a seriies of computer execises I was interviewed by an HR rep. This is for lack of a better term an standard Interview. Only real difference was a stronger than usal fcous on my job history. After this I was asked to take a claims test, the details of which I agreed not to disclouse. After that I was taken up to the claims floor where I was sat with a claims rep and shadowed her for about a half hour. After this I was taken to meet with a manager, I was particularly surprised because I was told I would meet with a manager, but in actuality I meet with two. This was a little unnerving and threw me of balance. The two of them than sat me a good distance away from them and bombarded me with questions, again the interview was more interested in my work history than my education and also I was questioned extensively about what I was able to observe while I shadowed there employee. All in all I felt like the interview went well, but I was wrong since I was not given the job offer. I'd have to say that I think the mistakes I may have made would have either been over dressing, I wore a suit when no other applicant did, or prehaps because I allowed my self to get caught off guard when faced with two interviewers instead of the one I expected. I'd have to say that If someone ngoes through this process just remeber to stay clam and answer them in an energetic and confident manner.

Interview Question – What challenges are you expecting to face as a claims represenative?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Woodbury, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at GEICO in May 2012.

Interview Details – I started the application online and it was lengthy so I stopped but then they emailed me that they were interested in the information I submitted so far and to continue the application. Once I submitted it they emailed me immediately to do the personality assessment and set up a phone interview. The phone interview went smooth and I went in the following day for the computer skills test. I passed and went on to complete a 1 to 1 interview. The person that interviewed me told me I was over qualified for the position and she told me I should apply for Liability claims. I came in the next day to interview for that position but they had just gave it to someone else, I was a little bummed out but then the HR manager told me he really liked me and suggested me for a different department. I shadowed someone then interviewed with a supervisor then with the manager and supervisor where the offer was made. All in all it was a relatively average interview process. Not too hard, not too easy. I accepted the offer then completed my background check, drug screen and physical.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Getzville, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GEICO in December 2011.

Interview Details – I had applied online on a Wednesday night, and received a phone call for my phone interview on that Thursday afternoon. It went smooth. I answered all the questions to the best of my ability and I was asked to come in for the skills test, personality test, & a one-on-one interview the following Saturday. The gentleman on the phone informed me of a drug test, background check, and credit check.

Interview Question – What do you plan to do with this degree once you obtain it?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Virginia Beach, VA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at GEICO in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the position on Sunday and was contacted via email the next day that I would be contacted by a HR Recruiter for a phone interview. During the phone interview on Tuesday I was asked several generic interview questions such as How would you respond to an angry/upset customer? Explain your previous work history/experience? Have you ever been convicted or pled guilty to a felony or misdemenor? I answered that I had pled guilty for a misdemeanor 5 years ago and was told that it would not hinder my hiring processs as it was not a felony. I was then given the training schedule which I was told would be 3 months and given an idea of my possible work schedule. I was schedule to come in the following Monday to do the Computer testing, Claims Simulation Modules, 1:1 Interview and Shadowing, Interview with Senior Management. I successfully passed the computer typing test and simulation modules and was told to wait to have my 1:1 interview. I spoke with an older lady during my interview who was extremely rude and cold. Upon entering her office, she had a paper where I need to explain in detail my conviction, why I did it, what were my consequences and am I still on probation. From that moment forward she was extremely cold in her questions. During the first process we had to watch a video that gave you an idea of what you would be doing in claims, so when the Interviewer asked what I would do if I can't resolve my claim. I stated that I would pass it on the the second tier claims specialist and she said NO you are the only one who handles your 200-300 claims and that their isn't a second tier specialist. I told her that I concluded that answer BASED on the video that stated that's the claims process. She asked me to explain in detail what I thought I would be doing everyday and I gave her my best answer, she didn't like the fact that my answer was not exactly what the job entailed. I then told her I have never worked in claims nor insurance so I couldn't possibly know EXACTLY what I would be doing without training or experience, yet that didn't matter to her. She asked my why would I want to work at GEICO because I have a degree in something else. I didn't understand why that was so hard to comprehend, I needed a job! I'm sure not everyone who works for GEICO has a degree in INSURANCE (I know that no such degree exist). She stated that she would have to pass my application and scores to another HR Manager and it would take 5 business days for me to hear a response. I knew at that point I hadn't been hired because the position started on 9/26/2011 which was exactly 5 business days away.

Interview Questions

• What would be the least favorite thing about your job as a claims specialiast?   View Answer
  • Training is 6 months and you are not allowed to miss any days, do you have anything planned during these 6 months?   Answer Question

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GEICO in August 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was great until I got passed the whole personality/IQ/Typing test. The recruiter was cold and made a huge deal about me relocating. Asked me the same questions over and over again. Very condescending. Seemed to warn up at the end. Was told that since I was interested in two position she needed to e-mail the departments (this was a lie to not tell me I got the job). Did not go on to role-play even thought highly qualified for the job due to the fact of re-locating. Got an email 6 days later declining me to go any farther.

Lakeland, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at GEICO in August 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email inviting me to a testing session. I was taken in with a group to a computer and I was tested on my typing skills and my multi-tasking skills. I made it through that, though some were sent home. I had already completed my two interviews at the college (GEICO had a day of recruiting on campus). I waited for about an hour and was finally taken back to role play. I was very nervous during this. It is the same scenario that has been mentioned over and over on here. I was told that I should receive a call back next week to meet with a manager for an interview, if I am chosen. I read earlier that many go on to that next interview if they are chosen...so I am not sure. A bit nervous now.

Interview Question – Name a time when you have negotiated something.   Answer Question

Lakeland, FL

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at GEICO in July 2011.

Interview Details – After a very easy typing test in which everyone in the group of 6 passed, I was forced to wait for over 3 hours until I finally got my 1 on 1 interview. The interview was with a very robotic and monotone woman which made it miserable to take part it. I have been to many interviews and I had wonderful answers lined up for all her questions, but was told I would recieve word via email in a couple days. Those fools rejected me. The starting salary is very low but they lead you to believe that you will move up rapidly in the company. With all the employees that they have, hardly anyone is moving up. I would only try this company as a last resort which was where I was at when I applied.

Lakeland, FL

The process took a day - interviewed at GEICO in July 2011.

Interview Details – I completed an online resume and later received and email that requested I schedule a time to come to their facility for testing. Upon arriving I was asked to complete a questionnaire about what I thought was most appealing about the position and what was least appealing.

Once this was completed, I was herded into a computer lab with other potential employees. It data extraction, typing exercises, and personality test. I was notified that I had passed test and would be interviewed that day.

The interviewer was polite, but not the hiring manager. She immediately notified me that what the hourly wage and hours would be and asked if I would like to proceed. Though the wage didn't necessarily excite me, I had already spent 3 hours waiting and decided to move forward.

The questions asked were very formatted and there was obviously strict boundaries on what types of feedback the interviewer could provide. A very cold, clinical process.

Interview Question – What do you think will be your greatest motivator doing this job?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at GEICO