GEICO

Average Difficulty
36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Getzville, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – First step is phone interview-very basic and general questions
After that, you come in for some testing. Personality test, typing test, ect.
After that you come in yet again for some strange roleplaying situations with HR
Interview with HR
Interview with Supervisor
Interview with manager

Interview Question – Not really a question, just the roleplaying thing is where most people loose the job   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Claims Service Representative

I interviewed at GEICO in October 2013.

Interview Details – 10 min telephone call with manager. He was very nice but I could not do the training as it was from 4pm to 12am for 6 weeks. Even though the pay was good, I was not able to keep those long hours at night and then start a night shift for a year or more. My health is way more important.

Interview Question – Their hours to start for new hires are overnight or late shifts   Answer Question

Claims Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GEICO in September 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received a call the same day. Took an online test and had a phone interview. Went on site for additional testing. It was mostly typing and multi-tasking testing. Unorganized and it took 5 hours one day and another 3 hours the next day to complete my testing/interview process. Hired and given a start date 60 days away.

Interview Question – There is a simulated section where you are the call-center worker and you receive a call from a difficult customer. Mine was someone who cursed and spoke spanish.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. There is no compensation for your degree or experience. The rate is whatever they offer and if you challenge it they pull their offer.

Claims Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online after hearing about openings from a friend who worked there. The next morning I received a call from HR asking for a phone interview. I was asked to complete an online personality assessment and received a callback shortly after to schedule an appointment to come into the office for testing. My testing took approximately 6 hours. Needless to say I was not thrilled with spending several hours waiting between role-playing exercises, computer based tests, and multi-tasking tests.

Interview Question – When would you like to start?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation since salaries are set by corporate. It's a take it or leave it type of situation

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in March 2013.

Interview Details – First was the phone interview where they asked basic questions: Why are you leaving your current job? How many times in a year did you call out without a 24 hour notice? They then scheduled me for the 2nd phase of the hiring process which was the computer based test. Its hard but they tell you over and over that its suppose to be. They check for typing speed and accuracy as well as how fast and accurate you can listen to fake calls and type the info in the required fields. 3rd phase is if you pass the computer test which is the face to face interview. They ask the typical interview questions. My interviewer was especially tough. After that they give you paperwork and simulate calls. I signed paperwork that I would not go into detail about that part. After that, the interviewer tells you how you did and more interview questions. THEN you come back for the next phase which is the 1 hour of shadowing and then interview with the floor manager. Then you're done (after the drug, criminal, and credit background tests)

Interview Question – Imagine you're working for Geico and we are promoting a faster way to pay online. I caller calls in to make a payment and as you try to explain the new and fast way to pay they immediately say they are not interested. What do you do?   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – None. It is already set.

Stafford, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – The Interview at Geico comes in between stages of testing. I was fortunate and was able to pass every one of the the test, If I had failed i would not have been able to interview. After the first test, a seriies of computer execises I was interviewed by an HR rep. This is for lack of a better term an standard Interview. Only real difference was a stronger than usal fcous on my job history. After this I was asked to take a claims test, the details of which I agreed not to disclouse. After that I was taken up to the claims floor where I was sat with a claims rep and shadowed her for about a half hour. After this I was taken to meet with a manager, I was particularly surprised because I was told I would meet with a manager, but in actuality I meet with two. This was a little unnerving and threw me of balance. The two of them than sat me a good distance away from them and bombarded me with questions, again the interview was more interested in my work history than my education and also I was questioned extensively about what I was able to observe while I shadowed there employee. All in all I felt like the interview went well, but I was wrong since I was not given the job offer. I'd have to say that I think the mistakes I may have made would have either been over dressing, I wore a suit when no other applicant did, or prehaps because I allowed my self to get caught off guard when faced with two interviewers instead of the one I expected. I'd have to say that If someone ngoes through this process just remeber to stay clam and answer them in an energetic and confident manner.

Interview Question – What challenges are you expecting to face as a claims represenative?   View Answer

Woodbury, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at GEICO in May 2012.

Interview Details – I started the application online and it was lengthy so I stopped but then they emailed me that they were interested in the information I submitted so far and to continue the application. Once I submitted it they emailed me immediately to do the personality assessment and set up a phone interview. The phone interview went smooth and I went in the following day for the computer skills test. I passed and went on to complete a 1 to 1 interview. The person that interviewed me told me I was over qualified for the position and she told me I should apply for Liability claims. I came in the next day to interview for that position but they had just gave it to someone else, I was a little bummed out but then the HR manager told me he really liked me and suggested me for a different department. I shadowed someone then interviewed with a supervisor then with the manager and supervisor where the offer was made. All in all it was a relatively average interview process. Not too hard, not too easy. I accepted the offer then completed my background check, drug screen and physical.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Getzville, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GEICO in December 2011.

Interview Details – I had applied online on a Wednesday night, and received a phone call for my phone interview on that Thursday afternoon. It went smooth. I answered all the questions to the best of my ability and I was asked to come in for the skills test, personality test, & a one-on-one interview the following Saturday. The gentleman on the phone informed me of a drug test, background check, and credit check.

Interview Question – What do you plan to do with this degree once you obtain it?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Virginia Beach, VA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at GEICO in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the position on Sunday and was contacted via email the next day that I would be contacted by a HR Recruiter for a phone interview. During the phone interview on Tuesday I was asked several generic interview questions such as How would you respond to an angry/upset customer? Explain your previous work history/experience? Have you ever been convicted or pled guilty to a felony or misdemenor? I answered that I had pled guilty for a misdemeanor 5 years ago and was told that it would not hinder my hiring processs as it was not a felony. I was then given the training schedule which I was told would be 3 months and given an idea of my possible work schedule. I was schedule to come in the following Monday to do the Computer testing, Claims Simulation Modules, 1:1 Interview and Shadowing, Interview with Senior Management. I successfully passed the computer typing test and simulation modules and was told to wait to have my 1:1 interview. I spoke with an older lady during my interview who was extremely rude and cold. Upon entering her office, she had a paper where I need to explain in detail my conviction, why I did it, what were my consequences and am I still on probation. From that moment forward she was extremely cold in her questions. During the first process we had to watch a video that gave you an idea of what you would be doing in claims, so when the Interviewer asked what I would do if I can't resolve my claim. I stated that I would pass it on the the second tier claims specialist and she said NO you are the only one who handles your 200-300 claims and that their isn't a second tier specialist. I told her that I concluded that answer BASED on the video that stated that's the claims process. She asked me to explain in detail what I thought I would be doing everyday and I gave her my best answer, she didn't like the fact that my answer was not exactly what the job entailed. I then told her I have never worked in claims nor insurance so I couldn't possibly know EXACTLY what I would be doing without training or experience, yet that didn't matter to her. She asked my why would I want to work at GEICO because I have a degree in something else. I didn't understand why that was so hard to comprehend, I needed a job! I'm sure not everyone who works for GEICO has a degree in INSURANCE (I know that no such degree exist). She stated that she would have to pass my application and scores to another HR Manager and it would take 5 business days for me to hear a response. I knew at that point I hadn't been hired because the position started on 9/26/2011 which was exactly 5 business days away.

Interview Questions

• What would be the least favorite thing about your job as a claims specialiast?   View Answer
  • Training is 6 months and you are not allowed to miss any days, do you have anything planned during these 6 months?   Answer Question

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GEICO in August 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was great until I got passed the whole personality/IQ/Typing test. The recruiter was cold and made a huge deal about me relocating. Asked me the same questions over and over again. Very condescending. Seemed to warn up at the end. Was told that since I was interested in two position she needed to e-mail the departments (this was a lie to not tell me I got the job). Did not go on to role-play even thought highly qualified for the job due to the fact of re-locating. Got an email 6 days later declining me to go any farther.