GEICO Customer Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2015

3.1

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO in April 2015.

Interview

The process was somewhat long, but worth it in the end. Expect to be there for a good 5-6 hours. First you do an assessment test, in which you basically have to listen to phone calls and read e-mails and type the information in. There's also a words per minute typing test, it's very simple, don't sweat it. After that you meet with a recruiter who asks you basic questions: why would you be a good fit? What can you provide for us here? Tell me about a time you had an angry customer how did you react? Nothing crazy, just be positive and end anything bad on a positive note. After that you wait for the manager of the customer service section to call you in, in which you Shadow a current employee and listen to live phone sessions and write down what you're experiencing, any questions you may have and if you think it'll be a good fit for you. After that another manager interviews you again and asks you more in-depth questions, that pertain to the job. When was a time you were given constructive feedback? Our systems are always changing, can you give me an example where you picked up on a drastic change? Make sure you have questions ready, ask about advancement, ask about peer support, etc. at the end of that they either offer you the job or further review your application. It was very straight-forward, overall a nice experience. I'm looking forward to starting on June 1st! Keep calm, you'll do great. Do some research on the company to show your interest it can definitely help.

Negotiation

None. I was happy with the initial offer.

Other Interview Reviews for GEICO

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GEICO.

Interview

Impersonal, although it was only a phone screening, I had expected a little more inquiry about my experience. However, I do feel that Geico is a reputable company and they would probably be great to work for with their competitive benefits package...It would just be nice to have a little more of an opportunity to be able to provide my past work experience before I get sent to the chopping block so quickly...I just felt like the interviewer was reading off a script and he most likely was...

Interview Questions

• I was asked how long I planned to work for Geico, which just seems like a ridiculous question. I understand the reasoning behind the question, but that is a very difficult question to answer when this is just an initial phone screening...   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO (Indianapolis, IN) in April 2015.

Interview

Like other reviews have mentioned, if you get to the computer assessment testing stage, be prepared to be there for at least 4 hours for testing and interviewing if you pass testing. When I got to Geico, I was given a copy of my application that I submitted online and was told to make any changes that were necessary with a pen. After that, the other applicants and I were taken to a room for the computer testing. I thought the computer testing was rather simple. The first part of the test simulates a call center where customers will call and email you for various reasons and you have to accurately enter in the information they give you before the timer runs out. If you type "call center simulator" into Google, you can find a couple of games that are similar to this part of the test. The second part of the test is a test to see how fast you type. You are asked to transcribe insurance claims that appear at the top half of your screen and they are testing how much of it you can transcribe in one minute. If you've ever done a typing speed test, this part of the test is exactly like that. The test took about 45 minutes to complete and four of us passed out of six applicants. The next part of the process is where the actual interviewing starts. I was taken back for a tour of the building and for a one on one interview. They asked me about my employment history, why I am leaving my current job, why I wanted to work for Geico, etc. They also asked me a lot of questions about specific situations I have been in at work and how I handled them (Describe a time when you had to deal with an angry customer, describe a time when you had to persuade someone, etc.). This interview took about 20-25 minutes. After the one on one interview, they asked me to do a role play. They took me to a room that had a phone and headset and they gave me a packet of information about a fake company that I would be pretending to work for. The packet had 11 sheets of paper. Six of the pages are information about the company and the other five pages are customer records. Three of those customers will "call" you and some of them will be angry. Since you only get 20 minutes to look over this information, I recommend focusing on the company information. This information gives you answers to the questions that the callers will be asking you and the instructions for what you are supposed to do for every call you get during the role play. In total, the role play took me about 40-45 to get through, including the time I got to study the material. The next part they had me do was job shadowing. I was introduced to a woman who works in the department I was applying for and I sat with her at her desk wearing a muted headset so I could hear the calls she took. Management gave me an observation worksheet to fill out while I was shadowing so I had to answer the questions on it based on what I observed during the calls. The worksheet was fairly simple. After shadowing the woman for about 30 minutes, I was called back into the hiring manager's office where I did another interview with him while another woman who worked in management observed. He asked pretty much the same questions as the other person who interviewed me earlier in the day did. This interview also took about 20-25 minutes and at the end he told me that they would let me know within a week if I got the job. In total, I was at Geico for over 4 hours that day. Almost two weeks after the process, I received an email saying that I was not selected for the job.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current job? Why Geico? Many questions that ask you to describe situations you have been in and how you handled them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakeland, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GEICO (Lakeland, FL) in April 2015.

Interview

Very, very long. I arrived at 9:15 did not leave until 5:00.It started with a test for your ability to multi task and type. Then situational questions. Followed by a mock phone call role play. I finished up with side by side phone call listening.

Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GEICO (Fredericksburg, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

Computer Testing, role play, and interview. Computer simulations for the CSR was a challenge for me as an older gentleman with various time limits and scenarios. Role play went well and interview with standard questions was fine. They do a great hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Testing was difficult on the computer.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at GEICO (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process i went through did not go to far, i did really bad in the phone interview that i wasn't given a phone call in 3 days. But the process is fast after you applied online. You get a phone call the same day in order to schedule an interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakeland, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at GEICO (Lakeland, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

OK so I went in at 9 am .. By the time we went into the first step [the tests] it was after 10. The test knocked off a good 6 people, so there were 4 of us left. After the second step [face to face] there were two of us left. One of the managers came out, spoke to the other girl and then there was just me. I then went to do the role play. It was pretty intense, and I was extremely nervous. This whole process took about 6 hours so BE AVAILABLE! All the other reviews said if they don't ask you to stay after that then you didn't get the job. The lady told me someone would contact me in 3 days. 2 days later I got a call saying there was a mix-up and I was supposed to be scheduled for a manager interview after my role play. [Imagine my surprise]. Anyway .. Went in today 3/31, and listened to some calls with an agent; spoke to the manager who was very nice and got an offer. I accepted Of course.The long process is sooo worth it. I'm so excited

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiation .. It's more than I initially wanted.

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at GEICO (Virginia Beach, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

I guess my experience is more for the older worker who has been out of the loop for a while: I applied online just a few days ago. I was given a link to schedule a telephone interview. My telephone interview was just 30 minutes ago and it lasted maybe five minutes! I was just told the hours of training, the hours of the job and what the pay would be. My interviewer asked about my commute and if I thought I could handle the hours. He also wanted to know a little about my past work history. I've been out of the job market for quite some time and think that's a negative for many employers but I answered honestly. That was about it. He didn't ask why I wanted to work for GEICO or if I had any questions to ask. At the end, he told me he would pass this info on to his supervisor and if she was interested, she'd call me back. Judging by the previous experiences given here, I didn't get the job. I have extensive call center training and love that type of environment. I really wanted this job. Oh, well! GEICO's loss WILL BE (I'm very optimistic!) some other company's gain.

Anonymous Employee in Getzville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GEICO (Getzville, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied in February on Geico's website. You fill out a personality test after you apply. If you pass that you get an email in a few days asking to schedule a phone interview. You can pick the day and time you want to do it. The phone interview isn't that hard, it is basic questions and they go over the job (When it starts, what the pay is, what days you have off, etc.) I suggest you schedule this phone interview the earliest time you are available. I passed the phone interview and scheduled a time for computer testing the next day. You have to dress business professionally each time you come in. The testing was in a small room and there might be other applicants with you. The testing isn't that hard, what you do is read the instructions and you take incoming email and phone calls from customers that are prerecorded for a fake company and then you transcribe an email. This tests your multitasking skills and words per minute. You get two shots at each part. The 1st time is for practice and the 2nd time is what they grade you on. Taking your time, read the instructions and take a look at all the tabs and the questions beforehand to see what to expect for the incoming calls and emails. After I passed that, everyone was busy so I had to come back two days later for my interview. When I got there the interviewer came out and said all the positions were filled for March's training class. I could either wait 2-3 weeks and come back for Aprils or try and interview for a night time job. The girl said she'd have called me but just got in and found out about it. Once again I had to get all dressed up and prepared for nothing. Since I wanted a daytime job I choose to wait. The waiting and the rudeness of this process really disagreed with me. I waited the 2-3 weeks and they finally called me. I was at work so I didn't hear it to pick up the call. I called back when I got home to try and schedule a time for the next step in the process. It took 2 days for her to call me back. I scheduled it for next week since she said they were all full for that week. I get there all dressed up again and ready to impress. The girl takes me back and I have to do the role play part of the interview process.(You might have to do this with other applicants) You get 6 sheets of paper on another fake company. This one was all about protection plans for appliances, computers and stuff like that. Then you have 5 customer sheets that 3 of those customer will call in with there problems that you have to take. You have 20 minutes to read over all the sheets and to prepare yourself, which is plenty of time. They stress that it's better to read the 6 sheets about the company then the 5 customer sheets. It wasn't that hard since they give you step by step instructions of basically what to do and say. They even give you questions of what the customers will possibly ask and what to do in those situations. (Yes, all of the questions will come up in the role play) They also want you to try and sell the customers an upgrade to there protection plans if they don't have it. Overall, I thought I did well in this part because I have about 5 years of customer service experience. I did make some mistakes, like forgetting to ask for the phone number for one customer and forgetting to sell the upgrade both times. I did sell the upgrades to the customer when they asked about it though. Then the interview calls back on the phone and proceeds to ask generals questions of you, like another phone interview. I thought I answered her questions very well and that I had impressed her. After that I got sent home saying that they needed to send everything over to someone to analyze everything and determine if I was a good fit for the company and position. I didn't know everything I did, like the phone interview, the role play, and small over the phone interview was being recorded. This whole process seems very strange and way too difficult for an entry level position. The interviewer said in 2-3 days I would get an email or a phone call and that you want a phone call because that means you would move forward in the process. After 3 days, I got an email telling me that I wasn't selected and they don't give specific reasons why and they encourage me to apply again in 6 months. I waited a whole extra month for nothing and I wasn't even granted the courtesy to give me a 1 on 1 interview. I wasn't even asked anything about myself or my job history. I did my research and really wanted to work here but I guess it isn't for me. My only advice for applicants is to be prepared to jump through many difficult hoops because Geico obviously is looking for perfection, which nobody is. If you have reservations about being in a call center and/or don't have any customer service or call center experience I suggest you don't apply, so you don't waste your time. If you are confident, go ahead and apply and I hope your experience is better than mine.

Interview Questions

• Why Geico? Can you deal with the stressful call center? How did you like the role play?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO.

Interview

I applied online. Then I got a call to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview I had to go in the office to do a computer test. I passed a test, so then I need to schedule for another phone Interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult customer you've had to deal with and what did you do?   Answer Question