GEICO Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GEICO (Virginia Beach, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I went in after the phone interview for computer multitasking test I passed. Then i did my interview with a member if a HR i passed. Then I did my role playing task and after that follow up questions. Then they said they will contact me in 2-3 days after a hiring board approves it. Does this mean I did not get it.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you did not agree with your supervisor or manager decision. What did you do?   Answer Question

Claims Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO (Houston, TX).

Interview

I filled out the application online. I got an email to take an assessment test the same day. The next day, I received an email to schedule a phone interview. I then was invited in for a face to face interview (which took FOREVER).
    When I arrived, I took a multi tasking/typing test- EASY (although only 2 out of 6 of us passed). I then met with a recruiting manager and answered interview questions (typical situational questions). Then I did some mock calls. They put me in room full of papers, pens, highlighters, and folders with information in them. I had 30 minutes to read through everything and then the phone would ring. There were 4 different calls with different scenarios. I thought I did a great job! But they didn't seem to think so. They had me sit in the waiting room for a good 20 minutes only to come back and say, "I've sent everything up to management and someone will be in contact with you soon." --- YOU DO NOT WANT TO HEAR THOSE WORDS.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you are a good candidate for this position?   Answer Question

Auto Damage Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GEICO.

Interview

Please review previous post for details regarding the interview process. It is definitely one of the more challenging interview processes I have been a part of. I will say, if you plan on applying for the position and do not read about the process, you are doing a great disservice to yourself.

Time frame took about 3-4 weeks:

1) 30 min. Phone Interview: General interview about interests in the position, previous experiences, background. Explained the training process, reviewed any questions or concerns.

2) Timed Comprehensive Test: I thought this was a pretty easy test. Logic and Analytical questions, as well as, spatial relations. Only weird part is they have you call and put the phone down with them on mute as they are "administering" the test.

3) 1 hour Phone Interview: Another phone interview with an HR recruiter more in depth and specific, STAR model questions and answers.

4) Face to Face Interview approx. 1 hour: it was nearly identical to the previous 1 Hour phone interview except it was with a Supervisor in the area I was applying for.

4.5) They had time to squeeze in the Role Play into this face to face interview approx 2 hr: Refer to previous comments for more details. Essentially, you're put into a room, CD plays reading to you the papers that you are given. Just read them and pull out sheets that have "essential" info to the role play. (Use common sense, there are a lot of papers but there are a few that have things like warranty timeframes and deductibles for the role play). Employees come in and call your cell phone to give you information and you have to fill out forms for about 4 claims that you are "working" and "inherited" from a co-worker on vacation. I believe the way you treat the "customers" is whats important. You will get an angry body shop worker thats upset with your estimate, just negotiate, and stay cool. Greet every person you speak with respectfully and "put them at ease". Pretend its the real job.

5) Final Face to Face 1 hour: This part may be unique to my interview, but upon completion of the Role Play, I was told by the supervisor I did a great job, and he wanted me to meet with one more person. The person was the District Manager. Had another face to face interview, very casual. Pretty conversational. DM was very honest, said he did really get to read my files yet, so did so while I was there. Went over my previous positions, goals, and ambitions with the company. After about 45 mins, he offered me the position on the spot. Negotiations took place, and I accepted.

6) Offer was contingent with a passing Drug test and Background check.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was done, based on previous insurance and claims related experience, I was able to negotiate a higher than entry salary.

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at GEICO (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Applied online.
    Contacted about a month later by a recruiter who set up a time for a phone screening and asked for a copy of transcripts.
    Screening involved overview of position and basic situational questions

Interview was basic and recruiter was very friendly

I followed up with 3 emails and never heard anything back

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GEICO.

Interview

Pretty generic and not personal at all. First there's the phone interview that ask you irrelevant questions then there is the in person interview. You show up to a location and you're there from morning till evening. The whole process takes an entire day and not and hour or two. You're then shoved into a room where they test your typing speed and various scenario questions depending on what job you applied for. If it's customer service in any form, typing speed and how efficient you can work plus how well mannered you are is tested via role play. If it's a sales gig then they test you with a live scenario with the hiring personal role playing with you and you have to try to sell them something. The you go to the call center work floor for the department correlating with your job and you job shadow. This part gives you no idea of how it really us until you actually do the job, then you meet a supervisor or manager or someone in hiring again that ask you some stupid questions that aren't personal at all and doesn't gauge you as a person. Then they offer you a gig right then and there. No negotiations about how much you make. Turnover is high do they want you more than you do

Negotiation

None

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GEICO.

Interview

Very very long... only got to the end of the personality test and had to take a break and reschedule for another week (got there at 8:30 for open house at 9:00AM and was there until 2:30PM).. After a brief initial interview, taking a simulation test, a typing test, and then a personality test, I was told the MDP would not suit my individual needs very well and was recommended to an alternate branch of the company. Will update after further interviews there (which they mentioned would be a 30-40 min interview, a role playing exercise, and a meeting with one of the HR recruiting managers). People were very nice but the process seemed to be a bit harsh - initially there were around 25 people at the open house and by the time I left there were probably only three

Interview Questions

Have not been fully offered a job yet!

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GEICO in June 2015.

Interview

You start off with a typical phone interview in which you are asked a series of standard questions about your education (how applicable is it to the position), your leadership experiences, and your perspective on the program. I highly recommend practicing or at least having 3-4 instances ready of when you displayed "leadership qualities."

After the initial phone interview you may schedule an in-person day of tests (read: hoops). This is a long process and I recommend clearing your entire day because it can take anywhere from 6 to 8 hours, depending on if you pass all the requisite interviews/exams. The first portion of this day is a multitasking test - and it is simple enough. Just clicking boxes and filling in information + a typing test. Next you take a larger version of the personality test you likely took when first applying, except this one is twice as long. I assume that it is to see how you work or would work with others in a team.

If those go well, you get an in-person interview with the recruiter you initially spoke with (or at least I did). Same deal - just an in-person version of the questions you've already answered where the recruiter feverishly types down either what you say or some details about it. The next stage was a role play scenario. This is not as difficult as many others have said it is. You sit in a room, are given a packet to study about some fictitious company and deal with the "customers" that call. Sometimes it is easy, other times they are a little more difficult, but I never had anyone yelling at me or hyperbolically emotional. Based on the other interview experiences on Glassdoor, I focused on this portion (even in different languages), but it is really simple, just don't lose your cool on the phone. You just sell the fake product, update existing policies, and write it all down. You have 20 minutes to study the packet (but it is left with you to reference) and a notepad.

If you "pass" that, next is a tour of where you'll be working and some of the types of employees you'll be supervising after the program. Pretty simple. After that I had an interview with a supervisor in their office, which was easier than the initial interviews. At this point, if you've made it this far, you're starting to get pretty comfortable and confident, despite testing (read: competing) with others right next to you (although maybe in various stages of the process).

After this I had some mandatory shadowing of an existing employee, which isn't all that helpful when they are answering calls and aren't given any time to answer any of your questions. Lastly, and probably most crucially, is the final panel interview with executive-level management. You sit in a panel of typical business execs and answer their questions. At this point, I'd recommend not "attacking" the interview, but focus on growing and developing a career with geico in a calm way. This was probably my big mistake because at the end of the day, you're ready to just strike all their questions down, but the confidence may come off a different way. Just answer the questions in quick, pithy responses.

This was the end of my journey with geico. I wasn't offered, even after passing all of my "exams" and interviews. I was pretty shocked to be honest and some of the other people I had interviewed with seemed genuinely shocked as well, but who knows. You need to play to the position and don't seem overly ambitious. It's never good if a vice president seems intimidated by confidence and focused objectives.

Here are some cliff notes:
    1) Don't mention graduate school.
    2) Don't bother applying if you didn't major in Business.
    3) Don't expect anyone to go out of their way to help you.
    4) Don't mention geico's competitors (Progressive, State Farm [currently ahead of geico], etc)
    5) Don't talk too much.

While I wasn't offered, getting to the last "stage" is a real test and the interview skills you develop during this process are surely going to be useful elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable working with a diverse team? Are you comfortable with the amount of time you'd be working during the program? Why are you interested in the MDP? What makes you different than any other candidate?   Answer Question

Auto Damage Adjuster Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at GEICO (Woodbury, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

takes forever to receive their call for the next appt, the process is basically the same as everyone else shared on this board. it was not extreme difficult, just calm and follow the instruction and you will be fine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at GEICO (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I had applied online. After online application they send you a link for a personality test. After that was completed I received an email from a recruiter, set up a phone interview. They review the job description, ask questions about your available work days, there is NO negotiation of salary. It is what it is.
    After I had gone though interview questions they set up a face to face to face interview. I had my phone interview Friday & the face to face was set up for the following week.
    Took an assessment test for typing skills. I passed that.
    I had a 30 minute face to face with an HR Recruiter. I then did a role playing type thing for another 30 minutes.
    I was taken to the call center and sat with a CSR and watched them for about 20 minutes.
    Shortly after a manager came by and interviewed me as well. Interview was a recap of my resume.
    She made the decision to make me an offer.

They do a background check
    credit check
    and Drug test

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a situation when you went above and beyond for a customer?   1 Answer

Interview

I was first selected to interview over the phone. I spoke with a women who asked a lot of questions specific to being a manager. As a recent grad, I have not had many positions that gave me managerial responsibility so many of these questions were difficult to answer. I made it through the phone interview and was given an online recorded interview to complete. These questions were also geared towards past management experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when a company you worked for did something unethical and how did you stand up to it?   Answer Question