GEICO

Average Difficulty
590 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and the next day I received an email asking if I was available for a phone interview. A phone interview was conducted that same week and I was asked to take a two skills test. A ready comprehension test and a test where you had to count three dimensional blocks. Both test were fairly easy. I was called that Monday and advised I passed the test next I would have to pass an MVD background. I was called Thursday and advised I would be scheduled for a 1:1 interview in Los Angeles, if I passed I would be invited to the role play the next day. I read other comments that people were able to do most interviews by phone. I asked if I could conduct this interview by since I was traveling from Arizona to California. I was told I could not, so I took time off work and flew to Los Angeles a week and a half later. Once I got there the interview started around 30 minutes late. During the interview I didn't feel like I was given a complete interview. the manager that interviewed me would ask me questions but wouldn't write anything down. After the interview I was told that someone would get back to me today regardless of my status. I waited around all day and around 5pm that day I got an email saying I didn't get to the next phase. I think some of the questions are not designed for a trainee. It seemed as if they wanted you to have some prior experience, which I had none.

CLAIMS LIABILITY Representative Interview

CLAIMS LIABILITY Representative
Woodbury, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – Geicos hiring process is grueling. Once you get it you good to go though. I believe there was about 4 interviews for myself. After being hired i hear some people have more or less...just depends. The 1st "interview" almost EVERY person who applies gets called in to take a skill based assessment on the computer which is timed. If you pass they will sit you down and interview you directly with someone. Depending on how busy it is they may call you back in for the next Interview. On the same day 2nd interview, they asked very basic questions about resume, myself etc. 3rd interview was all situational case questions. About 20 questions that were repeated and switch around to trick you. Final interview was a "practical" or role-play interview where you were placed in a room with a phone and computer to mimic a true work environment. The interviewer called in a pretended to be a customer, and a few people come in the room to distract you to see how you would handle a real call, multitasking, and being empathetic.

Once you pass all that...good luck on the hair sample test. ALL employees must do a hair sample style drug test.

Interview Question – The hardest part was the practical   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no neg

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Liability Claims Representative
Macon, GA

I applied online - interviewed at GEICO in April 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview, come in to take tests and roll play, sit with an individual in the department you plan to work and get a feel for the job, then you are interview by an manager or supervisor and you may or not be offered a job at this point

Interview Question – what can you bring to the company   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – Online app, phone interview, in office interview, computer test, manager interview. If you have passed computer test and offer to have manager interview you've gone pretty far. I'm not sure why the hiring process is so difficult, I would have expected more out of the job environment. A lot of people behind that door aren't professional.

Interview Question – Keep calm and be honest and yourself. You'll be fine, it's not as hard as they make it seem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Ask as many questions prior to accepting. It's a lot to PTO, and hours/days, Comp day and switching shifts is so confusing.

Poway, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GEICO in June 2014.

Interview Details – Give yourself at least 2-5 hours to dedicate to Geico's interview process... in a nutshell, if you are what they are looking for, you will be there for the full 5 hours. You began by taking a few tests, one being the typing test. It is timed and you are in the testing room with other candidates. Once the test is over they wait for your results... usually about 5 minutes. They will tell you right then if you are moving on to the next part of the interview process. If you do, a manager from the department your applying for comes and get you. You go into a separate room and interview 1:1. If you pass this part, they place you in another room (sort of looks like an interrogation room) with about 5 pieces of paper, a box of writing utensils, and a phone. In about 30 minutes the phone will ring and you will go through a simulation mode (acting as a customer service rep and selling products). Once this part is done, if you pass... you meet the person who was going through the simulation with you. If you pass this part, they will take you on the floor and let you side-by with an employee for about an hour. When this part is done another manager will come get you and ask if you feel the job is still for you. This is the last part of the interview. He/she will say congrats you got the job... if this happens you will meet with the background specialist. They will tell you that the position is contingent upon passing background (credit check, criminal check, and urine test) if any one of these tests come back not within their standards you will not start the class. What I strongly suggest and this is from personal experience, is to make sure your transunion credit report is up to date with not a lot of collections/negatives etc. You fail once, you have one chance to clean it up. If they run it again and you fail, you have to wait 6 months before applying again. Good luck.

Interview Question – Questions pertain to position applied for... typical customer service questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There isn't room for negotiating. There is a hourly/salary range for each position and depending on what your educational background is, determines where you fall in that range.

Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GEICO in July 2014.

Interview Details – So I applied online, got a call the next business day. Basically you will have seven phases. Depending how well you do on each phase determines whether you go to the next.
I am copying and pasting from the email they sent me after I did the phone interview.

Phase 1: Telephone interview

Phase 2: Computer testing ( approx. 1 hour)

Phase 3: Face to face interview with Hiring Team Recruiter

Phase 4: Role-play (Simulation of the position you are applying for)
(1 hour)

Phase 5: Realistic Job Preview (Shadowing a representative within the department you are applying for and listening to live calls)
(1 hour)

Phase 6: Face to face Department Manager Interview (1 hour)

Phase 7: Pre-employment physical and background review (5-7 business days)

So I then went in for the test, five others were there. Four of us passed. The test consisted of two typing test. The test will be difficult for you if you are not extremely well oriented with basic call center systems. You have to learn as much as you can about their software in about 6 minutes than start listening to calls and reading emails and input the info.

You might have to do the one on one interview right after or they will schedule it another day. I went right after, was actually first.

The interview was some one on the hiring team. She really seemed unimportant and basically just asked me all the questions that the online application did.
I felt like she was just doing the interview to get some experience?
I am very well qualified for the job. Even though I did not get it.
I believe it is because I just was a little rusty during the interview. I really wanted the job because the pay is ver good. I felt rusty since I have not had a job in two years since we had a new addition to the family.
She asked really plain basic questions. Nothing at all difficult. Only difficult one was the whole unrealistic what would you do if blah blah blah.

They then tell you that you will receive an email letting you know if you go on to the next phase. I got the email three days later saying no. Then I received a call later that day telling me that there was no specific reason as to why I didn't get hired and they just decided to go with a different candidate. Also that they really want me to reapply in 6 months. I was really dumbfounded when she told me this. I just told her how confused I was because I am very well qualified and she said yes I know that's why we really encourage you to reapply.
So that's that. Very off.

Interview Questions

Very Difficult Interview

Auto Damage Adjuster Trainee

I applied online and interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – Phone call then schedule to come in then ridiculous test that doesn't make sense at all, if you fail one of the test, you are asked to leave.

Even though the description reads Trainee, only high school diploma and no experience, it's all BS. I don't even know why the bother posting if they aren't going to hire any qualifying people base on experience.

Interview Question – why are you here   Answer Question

Auto Damage Adjuster Interview

Auto Damage Adjuster
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at GEICO in June 2014.

Interview Details – I'm still in the interview process, but thought I'd write about my experience so far before a decision is made. I noticed that reviews where an offer was made tend to be more positive. I applied online at geico.com and a day or two later I received an e-mail for phone interview. Phone interview lasted about 15 minutes. Young lady, friendly yet to the point. I was asked very general questions to ensure I understood the role. Once she was done I was invited to do a pre-employment test, but I could only do it on a desktop. When I confirmed that I own a laptop she told me it could only be desktop and once she sent the e-mail I had one hour to complete the test and was required to e-mail her once completed to confirm this was done within the hour. This was completely unexpected. I had less than an hour to get to the nearest public library and start the test. My nearest one was closed so I had to drive about 10 minutes to another. I was able to complete the test in the hour and let her know. The recruiter called me back and invited me to another phone interview. This interview was more in-depth and involved questions about my previous work and the Adjuster role. A few yes or no answers, but the usual "tell me a time when..." They wants of details and play-by-plays, especially on how you manage your time - and I mean specific. I got the sense when we finished that I didn't do so well.

Interview Question – For me, the most difficult/unexpected questions were those directly involving the role. For example, "You quote a car for 5 hours labor, but the body shop thinks it should be 9. Please explain in detail how you would respond to this." Or "Your supervisor wants to meet an average of 22 labor hours per month and you average 21, putting you in the middle. What would your response be?"   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Auto Damage Adjuster Trainee

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – This company, by far, has the most aggravating application process I have ever witnessed to date. It doesn't matter if you have an adjuster license or experience working with automobile damage. If you cannot pass the role playing portion of their impossible hiring tactics, then you will not be offered the job.

1. Fill out an online application and complete an online assessment.
2. Receive a call from a recruiter to answer basic questions about your background and interests.
3. Take a reading comprehension and visual recognition test via the internet (timed and scored for accuracy) - (this is the counting blocks aspect) - If you pass this test, then you move onto step 4.
4. Have another phone interview with the recruiter (this time more personal) - Questions like "What would you do...?" and "Can you name a time when...?" theoretical and previous based experience questions that test your customer service skills, personality, and attributes
5. If you pass step 4, then the recruiter sets you up for the "Role Playing" situation at the nearest Auto Repair Express (ARX) location which is the most ridiculous situation (that really is designed to make you perform badly): I got to the location and one of the managers asked the other manager "What's his name?" after I just shook hands with him and told him my name 10 seconds prior. Right then and there, I felt completed disrespected and unappreciated to be there. [I drove 3 hours to get to the location and spent money for gas and a hotel room to be there]
At that point, you are to pretend you are an adjuster for an equipment company that handles at least 5 different types of situations from scheduling repairs to handing out checks:
     - First, the ten year old tape player they make you listen to is full of static and you can barely make out what the man is saying for the instructions (About 10 minutes of losing time trying to understand it, I just shut it off and read the papers for instructions)
     - Second, there are literally over 55 pages of information that they expect you to learn and remember within 30 MINUTES! A HALF AN HOUR! - Truly impossible for even the most highly educated. They expect you to be able to fill out forms A-F flawlessly just by memorization in 30 minutes.
     - The employees in charge of conducting the role play call you and walk in and out of your office acting like different clients who have different situations each time.
     - Again, there are so many papers they expect you to download like a machine that unless you've had prior experience working in claims or working at Geico, then it really is a joke.

Let me just mention that this is a TRAINEE position. TRAINEE again in all caps!
You cannot expect someone to do the role play if they have no experience dealing with the specified forms.
You wonder why so many Damage Adjuster Trainee positions are open and unfilled. They make the hiring process as difficult as possible for a job that starts out at under $40,000.

Geico, you desire for people to work for you, but you make the process unrealistic. Upon first-hand viewing of how the ARX managers act and perform, I almost walked out before the role playing even began. They do not want to see your degree or past experience you may have had in working with auto damage.

Interview Question – Your manager desires for you to have on average 22 labor hours, but you average 21. How would you respond to your manager?   Answer Question

Auto Insurance Agent Interview

Auto Insurance Agent
Poway, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – Phone interview, Face to face, Role Play, phone role play, multitasking test, hair sample for drug test. If you can make it passed the face to face, the rest is fairly easy.

Interview Question – Repetition of questions. Checking for descrepincies   Answer Question

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!