GEICO

511 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Auto Damage Adjuster Trainee Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at GEICO in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and I received a call the next morning. The person asked if it would be fine to do a phone interview then and there but I should have rescheduled. I was still asleep and I didn't answer the questions to my full potential. I received an email 2 days later saying that they didn't want me and that I could reapply in 6 months. I was hopeful because the interviewer said that they had a training class they were trying to fill in May.

Interview Question – The strangest question was one about the job taking you into dangerous places and what would you do.
Why do you want to work here?
  View Answer

Management Development Program Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – Did a phone interview after I applied online and sent my resume and transcript.
It wasn't too bad. It lasted about 30 minutes.
All questions were just like what you get from other interviews

Interview Question – How would you handle upset customer?
How did you manage your employees on your past job?
  Answer Question

Auto Damage Trainee-New Jersey Interview

Freehold, NJ

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in February 2014.

Interview Details – Long 5 step interview process. I applied online. If your resume attracts them, the steps are as follows.

1. Take an in person reading comprehension test and space visualization test. This was easy. Read some passages and answers questions on what you read. The other test is a series of 8 of the same size blocks arranged in different patterns. You have to tell them how many other blocks certain ones touch.

2. If you pass that you will get a phone interview. A recruiter basically goes over you resume and asks basic questions on background and experience. Takes 15-30 minutes. If you pass, on to step 3.

3. In person interview with a supervisor. Detailed interview took about 60-90 minutes. I was asked behavioral questions, how I would deal with certain situations, and past experiences. Interviewer takes very detailed notes. I was told I did well and would probably move on to the next step, which is the dreaded role playing interview.

4. In a few days I was set up for the role playing interview. This took about 2 hours. I was placed in a room that became a fake office. I was given about 20 sheets of instructions, guidelines, Geico ways of handling customers and situations, claims forms, rules, and info on a fake company I would be a claims agent for that would be the role playing portion. I listened to a 30 minute recording that went word for word on what the documents have written on them, and was given a pad to take notes. After the recording ended, I had 5 minutes to absorb everything and organize myself for the role playing. This consisted of 5 scenarios, where the supervisors either came in as repair facilities reps or claimants, or called on a phone. All the scenarios combined tested skills on negotiations, customer service, claims handling, organization, figuring out damages, filling our their forms, accounting for deductibles and filling out paperwork. My role was to be a claims adjuster for a fake company called Occidental, a company that sold service contracts to fix things such as phone equipment, cabinetry, heavy duty equipment, but not cars. They leave you a crappy flip phone that had external keys disabled, and didn't always pick up when I pressed send. The last scenario was dealing with an unhappy claimant. This entire interview was quite intensive and there was a lot to absorb in a short period of time. The supervisors sometimes spoke very quickly and I was sometimes rushed. As soon as the last scenario was played, the supervisors rushed in, literally just swept all the papers off the desk, and that was it. Not sure how they grade the interview, but I know they grade you on filling out the paperwork, notes taken, and how they felt you reacted with them.

I felt I did well, and one supervisor told me "good job". I asked him if he had any feedback on how I did, he said he wasn't supposed to say anything but said he thought I would move on to next phase, probably in a day or two. From what I understand, this is an interview with the hiring manager and is usually the last step before an offer is made.

Much to my dismay, they never contacted me one way or another. It has been almost a month. I emailed my original recruiter for an update on my status. She said she would find out and get back to me. She hasn't in more than a week. I emailed the HR dept for an update and also no response. It's almost a month since the interview so it's pretty obvious I didn't pass. I would have rather been told no than to be left in limbo. Quite surprised they won't contact me to let me know. I've applied to other companies and they all state they inform you one was or another.

Interview Question – Role playing interview by far. You are expected to absorb a ton of info in a short period of time and demonstrate you can apply this data in a real life situation.   Answer Question

Call Center Representative Interview

Dallas, TX

I interviewed at GEICO in February 2014.

Interview Details – Received a phone call back after a few emails back and forth. Went through a 20-25 min phone interview and was asked to schedule testing at their corporate offices.

Interview Question – To sell items in which I had no previous knowledge of.   Answer Question

Product Management Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – Applied through campus career fair. First round I filled out a few behavioral interview questions (I think this was a substitute for a phone screen interview), Next, I took an analytical test. I never received confirmation that they received it, and it took them 2+ weeks to inform me that I wouldn't move to the next round.

Interview Question – Question regarding interest rates   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Project Leader Program Interview

Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was only interviewed via telephone, and found the questions asked were irrelevant to the position applied for. The woman interviewing me was monotone, seemed bored with her job, asked and recorded the questions as if she has done this 100 times that day, and could not answer the questions about the company and the specifics of the available position that I had for her. I was later e-mailed that I was not chosen for the job.

Interview Question – I cannot remember specific questions, but be prepared for very informal interview questions and keep your answers short as the interviewer will seem distracted.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Part Time Billing Technician Interview

Macon, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GEICO in April 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process is a 5-stage process and is fairly elaborate. Qualified candidates can expect to spend 5-7 hours in a rapidly thinning lobby and various other rooms before they receive an offer.

-Preliminary stage is a phone interview. It's difficult to fail this portion. It's mostly to make sure you're an eloquent speaker and you meet their minimum requirements. Also, serves to schedule a real interview date.

-First stage is a two-part computer literacy test and then a personality test.
Part 1: listen to a pre-recorded voicemail or email, then navigate multiple windows/tabs and type relevant account info (no predictable order).
Part 2: Standard WPM timed typing. Any millennials should have no problem with this portion.
Part 3: Personality test. "Do you like to be the center of attention?" Stuff like that.

-Second Stage is a face-to-face interview.
70% of the questions were regarding "How would you handle an upset customer?"
A few others "Why do you want to leave your current job?"
"What skills have prepared you for this job?"
If you pass the interview, you move on.

-Third Stage is a mock phone scenario where you have to role play the phone center environment.
You are given 20 minutes to familiarize yourself with a fictitious insurance company and it's policies. Skim the pages and HIGHLIGHT relevant phrases, you have no chance of memorizing everything! That way you can reference them quickly during your phone call. Remember the broad strokes and refer to highlights seamlessly during phone call. Your interviewers may take up phony accents and bad attitudes in an attempt to throw you off. If you lose your train of thought, salvage the situation by saying "allow me a brief moment to review your account information" instead of saying ummm or uhhhh.

Remember, try to close the deal on promotions (don't just offer it). Let the customer know how valuable the service is (it pays for itself based off your claims history) and never let them cancel their service without a trying to turn them around.

-Fourth stage is just a shadowing portion, where you listen in on an actual employee make live calls.
Relax, get to know the gist of things and see if the job appears enjoyable to you or not.

-Fifth and final stage is a face to face interview. You're not out of the woods yet, this is an actual interview by the person who actually hires you. Between studying the day before and everything you've learned over these long 7 hours, you should easily be able to craft targeted answers to ace the final interview.

Key concepts for applying with this job: Multitasking is huge. Fast paced. Unwavering professionalism regarding upset customers. GEICO loves a great attitude.

Interview Question – "How would you handle an upset customer?"   View Answer

Management Development Program Interview

Buffalo, NY

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – Ridiculously lengthy interview process (approximately 10 hours spent at Geico office interviewing/shadowing):

Applied online, was notified by the college recruiter to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview I was invited a few days later to come in for some personality testing, typing tests, and role playing exercises. After all of this I met with the college recruiter again and he advanced me onto the next step where I would meet with the Vice President of Sales and the Management Development Program Manager. This took place a week later and I had to spend about 6 hours there interviewing with higher ups and shadowing a sales agent and customer service agent. I also had to give a 10 minute PowerPoint presentation during the interview with the higher ups, which I thought I did extremely well on. Overall, I thought I had the position in the bag. My interviews went phenomenally, and I easily passed the testing. However, I was completely shocked and aggravated when I was called to say that they weren't choosing me for the position (unbelievable).

Interview Question – How do we know that you won't leave the company after finishing this program in 18 months?   Answer Question

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GEICO in March 2014.

Interview Details – Everyone gets a call for an initial interview which will last 30 minutes and review your employment history and any gaps in employment. They'll also ask why you're interested in the job etc. Getting past this is easy unless you admit to being a serial killer. You have to remember that how GEICO hires people is by casting the largest net possible, then slowly eliminating through a several step interview process.

Once you go in for your test - for me it was a Liability Claims Rep - you will be put in a room full of computers and carious other applicants applying for various other positions. The computer test you'll take is fairly easy and will test your typing skills and your ability to transcribe information and learn computer systems. This is tested by setting you up as a representative for a fictional company which processes insurance claims and sells new policies. You'll be given several different scenarios from callers and emails where you'll basically have to input into this fictional system, whether the person wants to start a new insurance policy, file a claim for an existing policy, cancel an existing policy or alter an existing policy. The computer system is set up by giving you a set time to complete all of the inquiries coming in - for each one you have to choose what the caller is calling about (new claim, new policy etc) then transcribe the appropriate information (policy number, what the claim is about, how they want to pay etc.). The second part of this computer test will have you transcribe a statement from a client about some fictional claim they intend to file. It is set up with a divided screen - the top portion will be an account from the claimant which you have to read and transcribe. It tests how fast you can type and how many mistakes you'll make. Easy really - just get done with more than two lines and you'll pass.

Once you have passed your test the HR team will come in to interview you. Q's run the range from "why would you be good in this position" to "tell me about a time when you weren't able to please a customer and how did it turn out?" and "what would you do if a customer called in and you couldn't do what they were asking of you". Definitely got an algorythm esq. feel. Also got the feel that they realize nobody grows up wanting to be in insurance...but this was a feeling I got from my HR person - not something the company said openly of course.

SO - from the interview process (which lasts about an hour) - you'll go on to the roleplaying exercise, assuming you pass. This was actually kinda fun because the person on the other end of the phone is your interviewer and they have to pretend to be everyone from a shiztey contractor who is trying to overcharge for services to someone who doesn't speak any english. How it works is they set you up in a room with an instruction manual which explains to you a scenario in which you represent a claims representative from a fictional real estate company. You'll read this instruction pamphlet which contains what you need to know about the policies offered, and will be given several case files (which will be referenced during the calls you are about to take) and some information on the cost of the different policies. You'll also be given some forms which you have to fill out based on the calls you'll receive. Basically they want to see how well you can learn the process of filing new policies, filing new claims, talking with contractors and NEVER ACCEPTING THE INITIAL BID (if you get it below 5% of the initial bid that is acceptable) - and reviewing customer information. Once you take your calls - which range from someone filing a new claim to buying a new policy and an angry customer who wants to redo his house with the insurance company's money instead of just fixing the damage - you'll turn in your paperwork which will be graded along with your response to the calls.

FROM HERE - if you pass - you'll be taken to shadow a claims representative on the floor. MAKE SURE TO ASK QUESTIONS as if the person you're shadowing doesn't explain much or do much during your hour long session with him/her - you won't have anything to tell the supervisor who will be interviewing you in the next phase of the process.

Once you're done shadowing you get an interview with the person managing the TCR1 representatives which you'll be working with. This person, again, asks you everything the initial HR person did during the first part of the process and again notes everything in little boxes on a sheet of paper. The fact that GEICO will be investing a lot in you during the training period is emphasized - and if this person likes you - you can go on to the final step which is the background and credit check, along with the physical.

My experience was exhausting as I did ALL these steps in one day - it took me SIX HOURS. The starting pay for the Liability Claims Rep is $37,495 - this is paid during the training period as well.

Interview Question – WHY do you want to work in a call center and be tied to a phone for 7.5 hours a day? Are you ok with not moving?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - salary is set at $37,495

Customer Service Representative Interview

Interviewed at GEICO

Interview Details – VERY long process, a few computer testsw and alot of rounds with supervisors and managers, asking the same type of questions

Interview Question – The mock phone call trying to calm the customer down   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at GEICO

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!

GEICO Videos

GEICO – Why Work for Us?

Government Employees Insurance Company. Puzzled, are you? Well, the name goes back to the beginnings of the company. Founder Leo Goodwin first targeted a customer base of U.S. government employees and military… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GEICO interview questions and advice. All 511 interview reviews posted anonymously by GEICO employees and interview candidates.