GEICO

Getting the Interview

512 candidate interviews

Management Development Program Interview

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in March 2014.

Interview Details – The most challenging interview I have ever taken. Apply online. Received Email for phone interview in less than a week. Standard interview questions and was immediately invited for further action. (if you are not immediately invited for further action you will not be. I applied for this position 3 years ago. I also had 2 other friends apply who were immediately scheduled when I was not) Overwhelming face to face application. Take a look at my break down below.

Interview Question – 1st. Multitasking program where you listen to recorded information and fill in specific information into program, Some information is in an e-mail format. Timed and difficult to make sure you select the correct tab and input the correct information. 2nd. Typing assessment (typical) 3rd. Problem solving similar to SAT or ACT exam (timed and somewhat challenging)
4th.
Very, Very , Very impressive extensive roll play where you are put in an office alone, given 20 minutes to read instructions on how to do the job. Client folders and claim forms are laid in front of you then.... the phone rings and HR representative pretends to be angry customer, English as a second language ect. I was disarmed at how elaborate this was and the only instruction provided was a 8 page document that you review alone for 20 min. 1st pretend call was broken English customer. "Why you not pay my room bill, me no understand." Then HR rep walked in an hands me a piece of paper that reads. "I listed to your call and want you to type a letter to the customer." Given 5 minutes to hand write letter to customer. 2nd call "My furnace broke and this better get fixed now!" Scramble to find customer's file folder, review for coverage and confirm if policy will cover hotel stay. Customer did not have hotel coverage but fine print ready that if its a furnace problem coverage will cover Hotel. (still not sure if I answered correctly) 3rd call. Customer is in a hotel but wants a suit because he conducts business out of his home. HR dropped off another document to me which was a potential bill from the hotel. Conveyed to customer to only stay in suit one night and normal room 2 nights to not incur out of pocket expenses. When I was done they told me I would be notified in a few business days if I was selected.(not good) Spoke with another applicant in the parking lot who was scheduled for another appointment that week to meet a manager. I was sent an e-mail stating I was not selected 2 days later. (If you are not notified right away you should not expect to get the position.) I knew I had failed after the first call because I did not provide a clear smooth voice of concern and sympathy as well as not answering the hotel room question correct or providing the name of the company that would be conducting the repair. I was surprised and overwhelmed with how elaborate this process was and did a terrible job. I would not have hired me either..... however; if I had known that this was going to happen I am 100% sure I would have been ready and received the position.
  Answer Question

Auto Damage Adjuster Interview

Auto Damage Adjuster

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – This was a long Process over the course of 2 months. It was hard to tell what the next step was as I feel it started bit backwards.
1. Was the initial phone call. Pretty standard, this step was looking for the basic information.
2. Was an online assessment test. This consisted of being able to identify sequences and count the number of touching boxes in a 3d image.
3. was the driving record and credit check.
4. was the phone interview ( about 1/3 hour, basic questions).
5. was a 1x1 interview with one of the regional supervisors. For me, this went about 1 & 1/3 hours as they had a multi-page print out of numerous questions. Many of the questions were identical to the phone interview, so this part almost felt counterproductive. The interview in general was very positive, and seems like I had the position at this point, which left the next step...
6. The Dreaded Role Play Session. For me, this was 10 minutes after my 1x1 ( I wish I knew, I would have eaten before the interview). As previously described, it saw me left in a room (which I was suppose to pretend was my office) to review a packet of information and listen to a CD of instructions for 30 minutes. The information had me as a Damage Adjuster for a made-up company called Occidental Equipment group, which was basically an insurance company for a variety of equipment. I had to review ( in this 30 minutes) how to fill out multiple internal forms regarding claims, and how the adjustment and payour process went. This was a lot of information, but was pretty basic. The key seemed to be in knowing how deductibles worked/applied, and how the company determined if a payout was to be made or not. This seemed really easy, until you begin the scenarios.
     Your are given 5 minutes between the CD ending and the first "call" ( I had to use my cell phone as the room did not contain an actual phone. This made it awkward when other phone calls for other positions came in during this roleplay time) where the supervisor I interviewed with called as a service rep for the fake company, with a priority claim. This meant taking down claim number, name, item damaged. location. On my phone it was hard to hear just what the damaged item was, and I missed writing down the address.
    Almost right after that another staff member came in as a customer, looking to get a claim settled. He had all the paper work written out, but acted as a disinterested/unknowing client. For me, there was a misinformation here that the repaired item was under manufactures warranty and was going to be sent to the manufacturer for repair. I mistook this for the 'client' not having a place to send it for repair, and basic information on what the manufacture says the repair would cost. Instead of sending this 'client' with a payout check, I told them we would have to look into and estimate the coverage and get back to them.

The rest of the scenarios followed much like this, with very little ( 2-3 minutes) downtime before shifting gears to another step. I feel that at the end I was more confident nd able t ohandle the "negotiations" with a repair company for a smaller rate, and contacting a "client" to tell them their item was at a total loss. But this may have been too little too late.

I'm awaiting a supposed 48 turn around to hear back with a yay or nay.

Interview Question – During the Role Play, every document ( as well as personal notes you made) are taken and graded somehow in order to determine if you passed or not. Safe to say, I was not expecting a physical graded aspect.   Answer Question

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Liability Claims Representative
Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at GEICO in December 2013.

Interview Details – Plan on spending over 6 hours if you pass the computer test.

Auto Damage Adjuster Trainee Interview

North Hollywood, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GEICO in September 2013.

Interview Details – I received a call from the recruiter a few days after applying online. Had a phone interview (passed that), then a skills test (reading comprehension, spacial identification), then another phone interview with the regional Auto Damage Adjuster recruiter. The next week I had a 1-on-1 interview with the same regional recruiter, who was impressed with my interview. After that, I moved onto the role playing section. In this section, keep your paperwork neat and organized! They'll try to fluster you with phone calls, paperwork and irate customers. Word of advise in this section - NEGOTIATE rates and be FIRM about company policies! I think my negotiation skills were great, since I met with the hiring manager, however, I'm assuming the paperwork was a bit unorganized. I received an email the next day stating I didn't get the job. I was disappointed to say the least. The hiring manager mentioned the next steps were drug tests, background checks, etc. and next thing you know I got rejected. I'm surprised they weren't more lenient since you had 30 minutes to figure EVERYTHING out. I think they should keep in mind this is a TRAINEE position.

Interview Question – Tell me of a time where you failed at helping a customer?   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Claims Representative
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GEICO in October 2013.

Interview Details – UGH! are you serious. I am a licensed Claims Adjuster and multi task all day betwwen screens and I still had to do the skills test really? and just because your testing software is outdated and ridculous. I didn't pass. and now wait 6 months! no thanks! All set!!

Interview Question – The Testing was absolutely ridiculous. I multi task all day! really GEICO?   Answer Question

Insurance Service Agent Interview

Insurance Service Agent
Lakeland, FL

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – The interview process after the online application began with a phone interview. When that was successful an invitation for on-site testing was offered 2 weeks later. The test was something I had never experienced before because it throws a lot of questions at you at the same time. The company is trying to determine how well a person copes under pressure I believe. After passing the test I had a face to face interview which consisted of standard interview questions. Once I passed that there was yet another role play simulation with the interviewer where you're in one room with a phone and are playing the past of a customer service agent for a fictitious company and the interviewer calls from another room pretending to be a customer. When I passed that the process still isn't over . Another 2 weeks went by and I went back where I first listened to real calls shadowing an agent for about 3 hours, then another interview with a hiring manager.

Interview Question – Most unexpected question was that throughout the process I was always asked where else I had applied.   View Answer

Supervisor Leadership Program Interview

Supervisor Leadership Program
Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in February 2013.

Interview Details – Fist of all I would suggest not applying for this position unless you are really are considering working at GEICO. The hiring process is time consuming and not easy. I am a senior in college and GEICO came to my college to interview students. I talked to a HR rep in the morning and they wanted to interview me in the afternoon. I had no time to prepare for the interview because of my class schedule. The interview started off as a one on one interview with a HR rep. They ask situational questions that are somewhat difficult to answer off the top of your head without preparation. After the one on one interview I had to take 3 test. One test you have to rate statements 1-5, There about 100+ questions. Next test is a little more difficult and hard to explain. It ask question as if you were a supervisor and how you would delegate task, how many vacation day you earn, and other questions. The next test is a simulation test were the HR rep calls you and you have to pretend you work for a fake insurance like company. You have 20 minutes to study information on the company. During every call there is an opportunity to sale another product. This part took about 3 hours. 2 weeks later I was called and ask to come up to NY for a second round interview. In the morning I had to take 2 more test. I taping test and a multitask test where you have enter data into a fake insurance sales computer system. You receive the data by "email" and "calls". This test is not hard. After that I had to shadow 2 CSR for about an hour. They both seemed to like the job and both had only been working there for about a year. The environment was somewhat loud and the lights were dim. Most people seemed to enjoy there job. After this I had a panel interview with 3 department managers. They asked similar questions as they first interview but more specific questions. The interview lasted about an hour. After the interview they took me to an empty office. They told me to wait there while they discussed if they were going to offer me the position. I thought this was a little strange to make me wait in the office for an offer. It took about 15 minutes. After that I was told a HR rep would let me know if I got the job in a week. I knew I didn't get they job right away because they would have told me that day if I did. Personally I am glad I didn't get the job. During the entire process they never really said what the SLP does and how long the process takes. They also seemed to cover up that it was a call center or afforded telling candidates right away. For the information I got out of the HR reps it seemed like there was a chance that when you are done with the SLP program you might not get a management job which basically means you are fired or you work as a CSR. I would do your research and find out if you really want to work for GEICO. Seemed like it potentially would lead to a good career if you put your time in. But GEICO is not for everyone. It also seemed like they were looking for someone with supervisor experiences that is unrealistic for the "traditional" college student.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer   Answer Question

Emergling Leader Interview

Emergling Leader
Chevy Chase, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – This was probably the worst interview process I have ever been on. It took 3 months. There was a major lack of communication between everyone. I had to get in touch with the company several times because they went weeks without contacting me. I probably had about 7 interviews. In the end they said I was not qualified enough for the position, which they could have told me in the beginning, it would have saved me a lot of time. I thought they handled the situation extremely poorly. They basically strung me along and I am so glad I learned this about the company. They offered me a different position but I chose to not take it simply based on how difficult they made this interview process.

I was really impressed with how nice and polite everyone was, they even thanked me for my business. I was actually quite interested in working for them, but not after the interview process.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had a difficult team member   Answer Question

Supervisor Leadership Program Interview

Supervisor Leadership Program
Virginia Beach, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in April 2012.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview and did well. She then emailed me back to setup a time to meet in person for some in office testing. About two weeks later I went in for this testing. It consisted of a mutli-tasking and typing test of which I passed both. Then I proceeded to take a decision making skills test, a personality test, and some role-playing. After all of these were complete the HR person was talking to me about next steps and sounded extremely positive. Unfortunately a week and a half later I got a rejection email. I thought the process was just taking longer due to the department they were looking to put me in was slower to respond she said. Unfortunately that was not the case here.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you encountered a difficult situation and how you overcame it?   Answer Question

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Liability Claims Representative
Macon, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GEICO in April 2012.

Interview Details – Geico is a load of crap. They have a high turnover not b/c the don't hire qualified people but b/c the treat them like crap when they get there. I went in for testing and did not pass I have a college degree and working on a masters why do I need to test for the job. People suffer from test anxiety I can't teach my self the insurance business in 500 secs (that's how long the give you to learn a system). Make sure you learn how the system works.

Interview Question – Why Geico   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at GEICO

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!

GEICO Videos

GEICO – Why Work for Us?

Government Employees Insurance Company. Puzzled, are you? Well, the name goes back to the beginnings of the company. Founder Leo Goodwin first targeted a customer base of U.S. government employees and military… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GEICO interview questions and advice. All 512 interview reviews posted anonymously by GEICO employees and interview candidates.