GEICO

3.2

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at GEICO in June 2010.

Was contacted by Geico on 6/10/2010 by email for employment, submitted information and was automatically contacted back by email letting me know I would be contacted back in about 5 days,but they end up contacting me the very next day by phone and did a 15 mintue phone interview and asked me to come out the following Monday for in the face interview.Got there front reception was nice and helpful and directed me to testing site.We were all asked to fill out short questionaire and look over application information,and then we were asked to go to computers for typing test and simulation calls.The test proceeded to throw calls out and we were to figure out what department to connect call to and there were tabs to the side with name,policy nu and or state caller was callling from or either area code of policy holders phone number,but anyways during the fake calls the caller would make mention of hes or her name in the beginning and we were to key it in on name tab but next would make mention of their state way in the beginning of the call but there was no tab for that on the first pg.And by the time you made it to the other pg you have already forgotten the state when you did make it to the tab.The test was terrible,the typing part was'nt fair either or properly setup.They ask on their application if you have experience in the insurance field and if not you wont be ruled out.The testing is ridiculous and there is no warm up or no time to at least do your practice tests.Anyone else know of these messed up ways that they do things in their hiring process.If you going to be trained 15 wks. then whats the point of outrageous testing and if there is anyone out there can give any advice.I will probably apply again in six months but I dont know.

Interview Questions
    • During phoine interview I was asked why was there a gap between jobs.But I have only been unemployed 2 months.   View Answer
    • They asked what was my interest in wanting to work for this company.   View Answer

Service Call Center Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GEICO in August 2010.

this process is extremely long! i hope it's to week out riff raff. but this is like nothing i have ever experienced before. i am on the last interview that supposedly takes 2 hours. it's next week. to me, the role play was the hardest part.

Service Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at GEICO in October 2010.

I posted my resume on Monster and got an email to apply. i applied and received a date to come in to be tested. its on Tuesday wish me luck.

Study up!!

Auto Damage Appraiser Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GEICO in November 2010.

The initial phone interview with an HR representative went well. We briefly discussed my background, past experience and qualifications. The HR representative then set a date for a face to face interview. She mentioned in passing there would be a test while I was there. She made it sound like an intelligence test, which I had taken with my previous employer. Instead the test was a written knowledge and skills test based on identifying engine parts, body parts, estimating tools and types of vehicle paint from what I can recall. It would have been nice if they let me know ahead of time, as I had a ton of material back home I could have reviewed if I knew they were going to hit me with this kind of thing first. After the hour long test I was told to go back to a waiting room. By then it was approximately 10 o'clock in the morning. Around noon I asked someone who came by on how things were going. They said they would be with me shortly. Another hour passed by, I then asked if it would be ok if I found some place for lunch. They said that would be fine. I grabbed some take out and hurried back. I sat there the rest of the afternoon until around 5 p.m. They said they were busy and asked me to come back for further evaluation. A few days later I drove back and sat around for what seemed to be an eternity again. The office was disgusting, dirty carpets and chairs and stained cubicles and walls. Some of the people who worked there looked as grim as their surroundings. I've had worked at a few other insurance offices before, they were clean and professional in their appearance, this place was just gross. Someone finally took me to a back office and gave me about 60 different pieces of paper and a time clock. He said to study the materials for a half hour and they will come in and do an "adjuster type scenario"; basically role play. There were about 20 pages of instructions on being an office supply adjuster. The role of a typical auto damage adjuster was similar, prioritize scheduling inspections based on company guidelines and need, prepare estimates, meet with customers. Other than that, it had absolutely nothing to do with being an actual auto damage adjuster. Then two people came in and said they needed an esitmate done right away for a broken machine at a local office bldg. The repairs cost $200 to fix based on the paperwork and a used part was available. The owner said an employee dropped it. The contract said that a $50 deductible instead of a $25 deductible would apply if the damage was caused by the owners own negligence. As I explained this, one of the role players began screaming at me. This was amusing. He then said he would refuse to allow a used part for the repairs. I calmly explained that his policy allowed for this and that I would stand behind the part anyway if for some reason there was something wrong with it, over and over again, no questions asked. He never budged. After about 10 minutes of this, he finally said, "ok, you have a deal". Got the agreed price and he was on his way. There were a few more scenarios, one I had even made a mistake. I called the role player back 5 minutes after he had left to explain that I had made a mistake after rechecking my figures and it would cost this much instead. As I apologized for this, he ranted and berated me, this time over the phone. After this role playing was done, they came in and told me I would have to be trained from the beginning if I was to be hired. This I understood, as each company has different guidelines that need to be learned, however it didn't seem to matter to them I had over 4 years experience in successfully doing this type of a demanding job. After this, I had a Q&A with the ranting guy. He just read off a piece of paper and never made eye contact. He had a personality that seemed it was actually developed in a car crash. He hardly wrote anything down on his sheet. Just went through the motions. I held out thinking there was still hope in landing the job. I was left in the room for 45 minutes. Another gentlemen came in the room and said he was sorry but they can't offer me the position. I politely asked for their reasoning, however he wouldn't budge. After a solid 5 minutes politely asking for any kind of an explanation, he refused. I thanked him for his time and he walked me out. One full day of sitting in a waiting room doing nothing, then another day of yelling at me like a drill sergeant, yet still getting them to agree on the what the instructions asked me to do, and then simply telling me no thanks with out a single explanation. Not to mention the interview was an hour drive each way. Simply put, a nightmare of an experience.

Interview Questions
    • What level of supervision would you prefer?   View Answer

Claims Service Representative Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at GEICO in April 2011.

It was completely ridiculous. Apparently someone with a Bachelors in Communications is not good enough for them, they would rather take someone with just a GED.

The interview process is not even worth it. You have a phone interview than you have to come into the office to take a skills test, a typing test, a personality test and than after that a one on one interview and a roleplaying test. I did not make it past the roleplaying test, despite the fact that I did well on it.

They are very picky about who they hire, which is ridiculous considering the salary is not even that great.

I am glad I did not get the job because I know that working in a call center is not something that I want to do. I would be miserable if I had gotten and accepted the job.

I just wish I did not waste gas driving out there.

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fredericksburg, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fredericksburg, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GEICO in September 2011.

Very long and difficult interview process. They throw you right into simulations and observations. Thought I did very well with everything, but didn't get a job offer. Only took them a couple of hours after my final interview to send me a generic email saying no.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

The process took a weekinterviewed at GEICO in September 2011.

I applied for the position on Sunday and was contacted via email the next day that I would be contacted by a HR Recruiter for a phone interview. During the phone interview on Tuesday I was asked several generic interview questions such as How would you respond to an angry/upset customer? Explain your previous work history/experience? Have you ever been convicted or pled guilty to a felony or misdemenor? I answered that I had pled guilty for a misdemeanor 5 years ago and was told that it would not hinder my hiring processs as it was not a felony. I was then given the training schedule which I was told would be 3 months and given an idea of my possible work schedule. I was schedule to come in the following Monday to do the Computer testing, Claims Simulation Modules, 1:1 Interview and Shadowing, Interview with Senior Management. I successfully passed the computer typing test and simulation modules and was told to wait to have my 1:1 interview. I spoke with an older lady during my interview who was extremely rude and cold. Upon entering her office, she had a paper where I need to explain in detail my conviction, why I did it, what were my consequences and am I still on probation. From that moment forward she was extremely cold in her questions. During the first process we had to watch a video that gave you an idea of what you would be doing in claims, so when the Interviewer asked what I would do if I can't resolve my claim. I stated that I would pass it on the the second tier claims specialist and she said NO you are the only one who handles your 200-300 claims and that their isn't a second tier specialist. I told her that I concluded that answer BASED on the video that stated that's the claims process. She asked me to explain in detail what I thought I would be doing everyday and I gave her my best answer, she didn't like the fact that my answer was not exactly what the job entailed. I then told her I have never worked in claims nor insurance so I couldn't possibly know EXACTLY what I would be doing without training or experience, yet that didn't matter to her. She asked my why would I want to work at GEICO because I have a degree in something else. I didn't understand why that was so hard to comprehend, I needed a job! I'm sure not everyone who works for GEICO has a degree in INSURANCE (I know that no such degree exist). She stated that she would have to pass my application and scores to another HR Manager and it would take 5 business days for me to hear a response. I knew at that point I hadn't been hired because the position started on 9/26/2011 which was exactly 5 business days away.

Interview Questions
    • What would be the least favorite thing about your job as a claims specialiast?   View Answer
    • Training is 6 months and you are not allowed to miss any days, do you have anything planned during these 6 months?   Answer Question

Claims Review Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at GEICO in October 2011.

The initial interview consisted of a brief phone question and answer session with minor details about the position. The second phase was where you have to take a brief skills test and an interview with an HR rep. The third phase was a multitasking/simulation company roleplay interview where HR refuses to discuss the outcome. The final phase was shadowing a current rep and an interview with the manager or director of the department you are applying to.

Claims Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at GEICO in October 2011.

Phone interview- basic job info with salary expectation
    Computer testing-typing and IQ test
    1:1 interview- why do you want to work here, (talk about the importance of providing outstanding customer service and your dedication to fulfilling that area)
    Panel interview: Why should we hire you? (talk about your desire to go above and beyond, your experiences and accomplishments and how you could be an added benefit to the team)

Management Training Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at GEICO in November 2011.

My initial contact with GEICO was at a career fair near campus. After speaking with a representative there, I interviewed with him one-on-one the next day. After the in person interview, I had a phone interview. Next they sent me a webcam for the penultimate interview. You have 30 seconds to read a question and 3 minutes to record your response, but you do not get to see your responses. You are not talking to anyone, just recording answers into an online program.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult conversation you have had, and what was the outcome?   Answer Question