GEICO

513 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GEICO in March 2014.

Interview Details – Everyone gets a call for an initial interview which will last 30 minutes and review your employment history and any gaps in employment. They'll also ask why you're interested in the job etc. Getting past this is easy unless you admit to being a serial killer. You have to remember that how GEICO hires people is by casting the largest net possible, then slowly eliminating through a several step interview process.

Once you go in for your test - for me it was a Liability Claims Rep - you will be put in a room full of computers and carious other applicants applying for various other positions. The computer test you'll take is fairly easy and will test your typing skills and your ability to transcribe information and learn computer systems. This is tested by setting you up as a representative for a fictional company which processes insurance claims and sells new policies. You'll be given several different scenarios from callers and emails where you'll basically have to input into this fictional system, whether the person wants to start a new insurance policy, file a claim for an existing policy, cancel an existing policy or alter an existing policy. The computer system is set up by giving you a set time to complete all of the inquiries coming in - for each one you have to choose what the caller is calling about (new claim, new policy etc) then transcribe the appropriate information (policy number, what the claim is about, how they want to pay etc.). The second part of this computer test will have you transcribe a statement from a client about some fictional claim they intend to file. It is set up with a divided screen - the top portion will be an account from the claimant which you have to read and transcribe. It tests how fast you can type and how many mistakes you'll make. Easy really - just get done with more than two lines and you'll pass.

Once you have passed your test the HR team will come in to interview you. Q's run the range from "why would you be good in this position" to "tell me about a time when you weren't able to please a customer and how did it turn out?" and "what would you do if a customer called in and you couldn't do what they were asking of you". Definitely got an algorythm esq. feel. Also got the feel that they realize nobody grows up wanting to be in insurance...but this was a feeling I got from my HR person - not something the company said openly of course.

SO - from the interview process (which lasts about an hour) - you'll go on to the roleplaying exercise, assuming you pass. This was actually kinda fun because the person on the other end of the phone is your interviewer and they have to pretend to be everyone from a shiztey contractor who is trying to overcharge for services to someone who doesn't speak any english. How it works is they set you up in a room with an instruction manual which explains to you a scenario in which you represent a claims representative from a fictional real estate company. You'll read this instruction pamphlet which contains what you need to know about the policies offered, and will be given several case files (which will be referenced during the calls you are about to take) and some information on the cost of the different policies. You'll also be given some forms which you have to fill out based on the calls you'll receive. Basically they want to see how well you can learn the process of filing new policies, filing new claims, talking with contractors and NEVER ACCEPTING THE INITIAL BID (if you get it below 5% of the initial bid that is acceptable) - and reviewing customer information. Once you take your calls - which range from someone filing a new claim to buying a new policy and an angry customer who wants to redo his house with the insurance company's money instead of just fixing the damage - you'll turn in your paperwork which will be graded along with your response to the calls.

FROM HERE - if you pass - you'll be taken to shadow a claims representative on the floor. MAKE SURE TO ASK QUESTIONS as if the person you're shadowing doesn't explain much or do much during your hour long session with him/her - you won't have anything to tell the supervisor who will be interviewing you in the next phase of the process.

Once you're done shadowing you get an interview with the person managing the TCR1 representatives which you'll be working with. This person, again, asks you everything the initial HR person did during the first part of the process and again notes everything in little boxes on a sheet of paper. The fact that GEICO will be investing a lot in you during the training period is emphasized - and if this person likes you - you can go on to the final step which is the background and credit check, along with the physical.

My experience was exhausting as I did ALL these steps in one day - it took me SIX HOURS. The starting pay for the Liability Claims Rep is $37,495 - this is paid during the training period as well.

Interview Question – WHY do you want to work in a call center and be tied to a phone for 7.5 hours a day? Are you ok with not moving?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - salary is set at $37,495

Customer Service Representative Interview

Interviewed at GEICO

Interview Details – VERY long process, a few computer testsw and alot of rounds with supervisors and managers, asking the same type of questions

Interview Question – The mock phone call trying to calm the customer down   Answer Question

Auto Damage Adjuster Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – Multiple steps. First was phone interview. Then an in person interview followed by role play and a spatial relations test on paper.

Interview Question – No curve balls here. Just the usual.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They told me what they pay, that's it. I was happy just to get the offer.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Management Development Program Interview

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in March 2014.

Interview Details – The most challenging interview I have ever taken. Apply online. Received Email for phone interview in less than a week. Standard interview questions and was immediately invited for further action. (if you are not immediately invited for further action you will not be. I applied for this position 3 years ago. I also had 2 other friends apply who were immediately scheduled when I was not) Overwhelming face to face application. Take a look at my break down below.

Interview Question – 1st. Multitasking program where you listen to recorded information and fill in specific information into program, Some information is in an e-mail format. Timed and difficult to make sure you select the correct tab and input the correct information. 2nd. Typing assessment (typical) 3rd. Problem solving similar to SAT or ACT exam (timed and somewhat challenging)
4th.
Very, Very , Very impressive extensive roll play where you are put in an office alone, given 20 minutes to read instructions on how to do the job. Client folders and claim forms are laid in front of you then.... the phone rings and HR representative pretends to be angry customer, English as a second language ect. I was disarmed at how elaborate this was and the only instruction provided was a 8 page document that you review alone for 20 min. 1st pretend call was broken English customer. "Why you not pay my room bill, me no understand." Then HR rep walked in an hands me a piece of paper that reads. "I listed to your call and want you to type a letter to the customer." Given 5 minutes to hand write letter to customer. 2nd call "My furnace broke and this better get fixed now!" Scramble to find customer's file folder, review for coverage and confirm if policy will cover hotel stay. Customer did not have hotel coverage but fine print ready that if its a furnace problem coverage will cover Hotel. (still not sure if I answered correctly) 3rd call. Customer is in a hotel but wants a suit because he conducts business out of his home. HR dropped off another document to me which was a potential bill from the hotel. Conveyed to customer to only stay in suit one night and normal room 2 nights to not incur out of pocket expenses. When I was done they told me I would be notified in a few business days if I was selected.(not good) Spoke with another applicant in the parking lot who was scheduled for another appointment that week to meet a manager. I was sent an e-mail stating I was not selected 2 days later. (If you are not notified right away you should not expect to get the position.) I knew I had failed after the first call because I did not provide a clear smooth voice of concern and sympathy as well as not answering the hotel room question correct or providing the name of the company that would be conducting the repair. I was surprised and overwhelmed with how elaborate this process was and did a terrible job. I would not have hired me either..... however; if I had known that this was going to happen I am 100% sure I would have been ready and received the position.
  Answer Question

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – I applied to the position online. In less than a week I received an e-mail telling me to select a time for a phone interview. I chose a date and time for later that week. HR called me on the selected date and asked me to reschedule for a later date because an '"emergency" happened in their department[red flag]

The phone interview was pretty straight forward. General questions.To be honest, I might has well have been talking to an automated system The person that was interviewing me was rather stoic and was just going through the motions. Not engaging at all. The person told me that there would be an assessment later on in the month and that I would come to the office to take it. They even asked me if I would be available on that date and I said yes.

Most of the questions asked were closed-ended, which is NOT a good thing for any interview. So...I thought the next step would be them sending me a message confirming me to come into the assessment since I told them that I could be available for that date.

ERS Dispatcher Interview

Macon, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – You submit application, testing ( personality test, typing test and multitasking test), shadowing, and simulation, and than final interview

Interview Question – What are your career goals? ( Its a little hard asking those types of question when you really do not know what career paths they have available at the company )   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Interviewed at GEICO

Interview Details – Apply online. Called in for basic skills testing (wpm, taking notes, etc.). Simple interview to review job history, goals, etc. Job specific interview to gauge interest, skills. Assessment. Management interview. FULL DAY PROCESS. Pack a lunch!!

Interview Question – The assessment was unexpected, but they are basically looking for how you respond to a customer and follow basic instructions/guidelines.   View Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Chevy Chase, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in January 2010.

Interview Details – Went through a recruiter. The recruiter did their first initial interview. Then, they referred me to the hiring manager. At the interview, the manager and their lead was present. Within a week, an offer was made.

Interview Question – Nothing very difficult technical questions wise. However, they were thorough with the details of the specific duties.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – did not have a lot of negotiating power, since the salary was kind of pre stated on the description.

Sales Representative Interview

Carmel, IN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in March 2014.

Interview Details – Started with phone interview. Then scheduled a computer skills test. Then one on one interview.

Interview Question – Questions that had to do with "describe a specific time".   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Found another career opportunity.

Claims Service Representative Interview

Honolulu, HI

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at GEICO in August 2012.

Interview Details – Awesome hiring process. It took two days. First went through a computer test, then on the second interview I was tested on the phone, and introduced to the work environment. Interviewer was very friendly and I was introduced to the big manager too. I was offered the job at the end of the second interview.

Interview Question – I was an engineering major, so the interviewer was curious as to why I was interested in the position since it is unrelated to the skills required for the job,   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at GEICO