GEICO Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

3.2

Insurance Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at GEICO.

Interview

Literally the hardest interview process I have ever had. Online survey, phone interview, typing test. hr Interview, phone role play and management interview. Drug test is hair sample. After that you wait and then they come back on the room with a decision. Total interview process was about 8 hours.

Interview Questions

• Name one time that you gave incorrect information to a customer. What did you do and how did they respond.   Answer Question

Claims Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at GEICO in March 2015.

Interview

Once the application is filled out online, a link is sent by email to complete a personality test. If you score well on the personality assessment, someone will contact you to do a phone interview. If the phone interview goes over well, you are then asked to go into the hiring location to complete computer testing. If you pass the computer and typing tests, you are then asked to stay for the rest of the interview process. The rest of the process consists of a face-to-face interview, role playing, job shadowing, then a final interview with the hiring manager of the department. Once you get through the role playing part of the assessment, everything else is pretty much smooth sailing. It is a rather long process but be patient and have a great attitude to show them you really want the position. It generally takes anywhere from 4-6 hours if you are going to be offered a position for the whole process in one day.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions are all based on the behavioral model interviews. Just remember to think about your answers and situations and use the STAR method when answering. STAR: Situation, Task, Action taken, and Result.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at GEICO (Virginia Beach, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

I guess my experience is more for the older worker who has been out of the loop for a while:

I applied online just a few days ago. I was given a link to schedule a telephone interview. My telephone interview was just 30 minutes ago and it lasted maybe five minutes! I was just told the hours of training, the hours of the job and what the pay would be. My interviewer asked about my commute and if I thought I could handle the hours. He also wanted to know a little about my past work history. I've been out of the job market for quite some time and think that's a negative for many employers but I answered honestly. That was about it. He didn't ask why I wanted to work for GEICO or if I had any questions to ask. At the end, he told me he would pass this info on to his supervisor and if she was interested, she'd call me back. Judging by the previous experiences given here, I didn't get the job. I have extensive call center training and love that type of environment. I really wanted this job. Oh, well! GEICO's loss WILL BE (I'm very optimistic!) some other company's gain.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakeland, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at GEICO (Lakeland, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

OK so I went in at 9 am .. By the time we went into the first step [the tests] it was after 10. The test knocked off a good 6 people, so there were 4 of us left. After the second step [face to face] there were two of us left. One of the managers came out, spoke to the other girl and then there was just me. I then went to do the role play. It was pretty intense, and I was extremely nervous. This whole process took about 6 hours so BE AVAILABLE! All the other reviews said if they don't ask you to stay after that then you didn't get the job. The lady told me someone would contact me in 3 days. 2 days later I got a call saying there was a mix-up and I was supposed to be scheduled for a manager interview after my role play. [Imagine my surprise]. Anyway .. Went in today 3/31, and listened to some calls with an agent; spoke to the manager who was very nice and got an offer. I accepted Of course.The long process is sooo worth it. I'm so excited

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiation .. It's more than I initially wanted.

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GEICO (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

The phone interview was basic and pretty quick, but also 15 minutes later than the time I scheduled for. In short, they just went over the basics of what the job was about, the pay, the schedule, and when it started and does all of that sound good. It wasn't very detailed or thorough I thought. At the end, I was asked to schedule a time to come in and do a computer test and interview, followed up with an email of all of the necessary information to prepare. It included how to dress, what to bring, and that I might be there for up to 5 hours (yes, 5 hours) depending on who was available to speak with me.

Upon arriving, it was myself and about 6 other applicants all given our applications and information that we had to double check for accuracy. For the computer test, it was pretty straight forward. You have a simulation of a made-up insurance company and you have to listen to voice recordings of customers pretending to need various assistance, and emails along the same lines. Part of the test explains that they are looking for your multi-tasking and accuracy abilities, and that the test would intentionally give you more than you could handle and not to worry about it. Following this was a speed/accuracy typing test, like you'd take in a high school computer class. You get two chances at both tests, and it seems frustrating and intimidating at first, but its really not. As long as you are fairly computer savvy, read the directions, and focus, you'll do just fine.

After all of that, I was told I would be meeting with a recruiter for the next step of the interview. This was much more in-depth and took what seemed like quite a while. It was your standard interview with going over background information, previous jobs, etc., followed with questions along the lines of "tell us about a time when...." or "how did you do this..." followed by a series of hypothetical questions pertaining to the GEICO job role. Personally, I thought the interview went very well and had a great feeling about it, especially since she highlighted my Masters degree and said they were considering me for an "upper level claims rep" or something. After the round of questions, the recruiter gathered all of her paperwork and said she would turn it in and 1) make sure she didn't need to ask any more questions and 2) see if there was a hiring manager available to speak with me. After being gone two minutes, she returned and rather quickly said she had no more questions, there wasn't a manager available and that they would be in touch with me by the end of the week explaining the next step to me. She escorted me to the door back to the main lobby in a hurried manner and REFUSED TO SHAKE MY HAND! Didn't take that as a good sign.

So then a few days later, on a Friday at 4:30pm, I get an email saying that they have been trying to contact me, and since they "have been unable to reach {me}" that they "are therefore closing {my} file." It further explained that I have 48 hours to reach them to schedule a further discussion time or they will close the file. Slick huh? They email me on a Friday at 4:30 saying I have to get in touch with them in the next 48 hours. Nice. It's also laughable that they say that they can't get in touch with me, seeing as they had no issue getting in touch with me before and you have to verify your contact information at the computer test. I quickly called in and (surprise!) got a recording prompting me to leave a message, which I did, and additionally I emailed in at the address provided. In both forms of correspondence, I assured them I was interested in the position and left them the means to contact me along with the times. About 30 minutes after that, I got an email saying that previous email was an error, and that I was still considered a candidate and that someone would contact me on Monday by the end of the day. Monday morning, I received another email thanking me for my interest in their company and that they "appreciate the time {I've} spent getting to know our company" blah blah blah, and that they've "carefully considered" by application and information but that I haven't been selected but could reapply after six months.

In all it was just the standard hoops to jump through. Honestly, I can take a rejection, I'm just really irritated at unprofessional behavior like the interviewer not wanting to shake my hand and the supposed email errors. It hindsight I'm not sure that I would want to work for a company that gave me such images.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to GEICO?   1 Answer

GEICO Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GEICO (Fredericksburg, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

Horrible! This must have been the most ridiculous interview process that I have ever experienced. The typing test and computer email questions were way too excessive for a $30,000 a year call center job. They do not even give you enough time to review the instructions before testing. I should have listened to the reviews on Glassdoor before I accepted the interview....a complete waste of time.

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at GEICO (Woodbury, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Arrived at 7 for a 7:30 am interview. You can not enter the building until 7:30 so this was a waste of time. Computer test for typing proficiency and ability to multitask. The simulation is designed to overwhelm and see how an applicant handles pressure and ability to enter data accurately into a fake healthcare program from phone call and email transcriptions. This is timed. After passing (some in my group did not ) a supervisor brought me to sit with a liability claims rep for about an hour. They will explain their job and show you software you know nothing about. Everything will seem overwhelmingly foriegn. PAY ATTENTION TO WHATS GOING ON AS THEY WILL ASK YOU WHAT YOU LEARNED AND EXAMPLES OF THE TYPE OF CALLS THE REP HANDLED. Now the CHALLENGING part in my opinion is the interview. It lasted about 45 minutes and they asked many detailed situational questions. Have 3 or 4 stories of workplace success that show skills in problem solving, multi-tasking , and customer interaction. Be prepared to go into specific detail because they will make you elaborate and are fishing to see if you are full of crap . After the inquisition , if you do well, you will be asked to undergo another long interview with similar questions from the hiring manager, Your future main boss. Again be prepared to share specific work experience. emphasize problem solving, multi tasking, and being able to work in a fast paced call environment and you've got it. IF YOU DO NOT PREPARE FOR THIS INTERVIEW YOU WILL GET EATEN ALIVE.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you were asked to achieve a challenging goal in your prior work experience? How did you achieve this goal? Give an example of ... How would you handle a customer who ... etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Getzville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GEICO (Getzville, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied in February on Geico's website. You fill out a personality test after you apply. If you pass that you get an email in a few days asking to schedule a phone interview. You can pick the day and time you want to do it. The phone interview isn't that hard, it is basic questions and they go over the job (When it starts, what the pay is, what days you have off, etc.) I suggest you schedule this phone interview the earliest time you are available. I passed the phone interview and scheduled a time for computer testing the next day. You have to dress business professionally each time you come in. The testing was in a small room and there might be other applicants with you. The testing isn't that hard, what you do is read the instructions and you take incoming email and phone calls from customers that are prerecorded for a fake company and then you transcribe an email. This tests your multitasking skills and words per minute. You get two shots at each part. The 1st time is for practice and the 2nd time is what they grade you on. Taking your time, read the instructions and take a look at all the tabs and the questions beforehand to see what to expect for the incoming calls and emails. After I passed that, everyone was busy so I had to come back two days later for my interview. When I got there the interviewer came out and said all the positions were filled for March's training class. I could either wait 2-3 weeks and come back for Aprils or try and interview for a night time job. The girl said she'd have called me but just got in and found out about it. Once again I had to get all dressed up and prepared for nothing. Since I wanted a daytime job I choose to wait. The waiting and the rudeness of this process really disagreed with me. I waited the 2-3 weeks and they finally called me. I was at work so I didn't hear it to pick up the call. I called back when I got home to try and schedule a time for the next step in the process. It took 2 days for her to call me back. I scheduled it for next week since she said they were all full for that week. I get there all dressed up again and ready to impress. The girl takes me back and I have to do the role play part of the interview process.(You might have to do this with other applicants) You get 6 sheets of paper on another fake company. This one was all about protection plans for appliances, computers and stuff like that. Then you have 5 customer sheets that 3 of those customer will call in with there problems that you have to take. You have 20 minutes to read over all the sheets and to prepare yourself, which is plenty of time. They stress that it's better to read the 6 sheets about the company then the 5 customer sheets. It wasn't that hard since they give you step by step instructions of basically what to do and say. They even give you questions of what the customers will possibly ask and what to do in those situations. (Yes, all of the questions will come up in the role play) They also want you to try and sell the customers an upgrade to there protection plans if they don't have it. Overall, I thought I did well in this part because I have about 5 years of customer service experience. I did make some mistakes, like forgetting to ask for the phone number for one customer and forgetting to sell the upgrade both times. I did sell the upgrades to the customer when they asked about it though. Then the interview calls back on the phone and proceeds to ask generals questions of you, like another phone interview. I thought I answered her questions very well and that I had impressed her. After that I got sent home saying that they needed to send everything over to someone to analyze everything and determine if I was a good fit for the company and position. I didn't know everything I did, like the phone interview, the role play, and small over the phone interview was being recorded. This whole process seems very strange and way too difficult for an entry level position. The interviewer said in 2-3 days I would get an email or a phone call and that you want a phone call because that means you would move forward in the process. After 3 days, I got an email telling me that I wasn't selected and they don't give specific reasons why and they encourage me to apply again in 6 months. I waited a whole extra month for nothing and I wasn't even granted the courtesy to give me a 1 on 1 interview. I wasn't even asked anything about myself or my job history. I did my research and really wanted to work here but I guess it isn't for me. My only advice for applicants is to be prepared to jump through many difficult hoops because Geico obviously is looking for perfection, which nobody is. If you have reservations about being in a call center and/or don't have any customer service or call center experience I suggest you don't apply, so you don't waste your time. If you are confident, go ahead and apply and I hope your experience is better than mine.

Interview Questions

• Why Geico? Can you deal with the stressful call center? How did you like the role play?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at GEICO.

Interview

After meeting a GEICO recruiter at a college career mixer and discussing my work history, I became interested in the claims Management Development Program. I was required to fill out an application online and I had to complete an online test that consisted of behavioral scenario questions. Two weeks later I completed the phone interview and I am scheduled for testing at the facility: not sure what that will entail. The phone interview felt like more of a formality as we talked at length in person, but we did discuss my work history further and the Program was explained to me in greater detail. I was asked about my availability and why I left each job on my resume.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Claims?
      Give me an example of your leadership experience.

Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at GEICO.

Interview

I received an email right after I submitted my resume, asking to schedule a phone interview for the following day. Of course anyone would be excited about that! The phone interview was quick and only lasted about 10-15 min.

Interview Questions

• The HR interviewer asked a series of questions and explained the training process. She rushed through the questions very quickly. She didn't take the time to answer any of my question, but rather give me a short answer. I just felt rushed.   1 Answer