GEICO Liability Claims Representative Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at GEICO (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I met a recruiter at a job fair here in Houston. I applied online, and interviewed the following week. I applied for a different position with Geico a year ago and did not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember the exact questions. However, I do recall 95% of them being those that were posted on Glassdoor. Which helped me prepare for the interview. Have several examples, this is a behavioral type interview. Also will have to do a simulation. Be sure that during the simulation you take notes and also document things during the call.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for GEICO

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GEICO (Katy, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Be prepared to be there for at least 3-5 hours and be willing to answer a plethora of questions. To begin with, you have to do a phone interview that gives you the overall description about the job, how long the training will be, and what the salary is for the position. The position that I applied for starts at about $41,600 a month which I found to be much better than my current salary. After the phone interview I set up a time the following week to do the computer testing, interview and the mock job test. The computer test went fine as long as you are able to type quickly, listen and follow directions. Out of the three other people I did the testing with only one guy failed. We then sat down for about 15 minutes until we each were assigned to a hiring manager. We then went into private office rooms and were interviewed one on one. My hiring manager was very nice and made me feel as comfortable as possible. The interview questions were very thorough. More than once she asked me if I thought this was a job that would "fit me". But to be honest I won't know until I start training and working on the job. Ten minutes after then interview they said that I could move onto a mock job test. This was the worst part of the interview process. They give you 25 minutes to read over some directions about a fake real estate company and different processes for closing on houses, doing home repairs, etc. Then you begin to receive phone calls one after the other while scrambling to find the correct papers out of a stack of about 50 that are scattered over the table. It is extremely nerve wrecking and made me feel like I didn't do very well. I was polite, and did my absolute best. This wasn't fair because they throw you into this and then expect you to pass with flying colors.

Interview Questions

• Are there any other jobs that you have applied for? Why would you choose us over another job offer?   Answer Question
    • Q: Tell me about a time where you had to deal with a difficult customer. What did you do and what was the result?   1 Answer
    • Q: Why did you apply for this job? What do you think the role of this job is?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO (Woodbury, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very simple. Follow STAR format when answering the interview questions. Majority of the questions are already listed by other people. Just remember to smile and do research about the company before you go on your interview.

Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at GEICO (Katy, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

First you get a quick call over the phone asking you simple questions like "Why do you want to work for Geico. She also went over the salary & hours of work. She placed me on hold, Then I was asked to come in and take testing and for possible interview. I was scheduled to come in 2 weeks after the phone date. But I received a call 2 days later saying that I need to come in on the following Saturday since classes were being filled faster.

1. The first thing i had to do when I got there was wait to be called to take the online test. The test was timed for each section. The test was based on listening to customers. And also a speed typing test. (This test was not hard). I passed the test so i then could move on to the next process.

2. The next step was the facet to face interview, about 10-15 questions on your background etc...I passed that part and was then told I would move on to the next step.

3. This was the last step for me, I forgot the name of the test but it was very hard. I had to basically read over to pages in 25 minutes about a company then , my phone would ring and the person would act like a customer asking questions about their claims. I was confused and did not really know what to do, but i tried my best. I feel like it i was trained on this i could do better. Since Geico would be training me anyway to do the job. I also feel like the only way to pass this test was if you had experience in working with claims and insurance, which I never had.

After this was over she asked me about 3 questions about what i had just done. She then said a hiring manager would contact me since it was a Saturday and they were not in. ( I knew at this point i did not get the job). I was glad that i made it as far as I did though. A couple of days later i then received my rejection email.

Interview Questions

• deductible question, why do you think you will be doing on this job? & situation based questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at GEICO (Woodbury, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Arrived at 7 for a 7:30 am interview. You can not enter the building until 7:30 so this was a waste of time. Computer test for typing proficiency and ability to multitask. The simulation is designed to overwhelm and see how an applicant handles pressure and ability to enter data accurately into a fake healthcare program from phone call and email transcriptions. This is timed. After passing (some in my group did not ) a supervisor brought me to sit with a liability claims rep for about an hour. They will explain their job and show you software you know nothing about. Everything will seem overwhelmingly foriegn. PAY ATTENTION TO WHATS GOING ON AS THEY WILL ASK YOU WHAT YOU LEARNED AND EXAMPLES OF THE TYPE OF CALLS THE REP HANDLED. Now the CHALLENGING part in my opinion is the interview. It lasted about 45 minutes and they asked many detailed situational questions. Have 3 or 4 stories of workplace success that show skills in problem solving, multi-tasking , and customer interaction. Be prepared to go into specific detail because they will make you elaborate and are fishing to see if you are full of crap . After the inquisition , if you do well, you will be asked to undergo another long interview with similar questions from the hiring manager, Your future main boss. Again be prepared to share specific work experience. emphasize problem solving, multi tasking, and being able to work in a fast paced call environment and you've got it. IF YOU DO NOT PREPARE FOR THIS INTERVIEW YOU WILL GET EATEN ALIVE.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you were asked to achieve a challenging goal in your prior work experience? How did you achieve this goal? Give an example of ... How would you handle a customer who ... etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GEICO (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

The phone interview was basic and pretty quick, but also 15 minutes later than the time I scheduled for. In short, they just went over the basics of what the job was about, the pay, the schedule, and when it started and does all of that sound good. It wasn't very detailed or thorough I thought. At the end, I was asked to schedule a time to come in and do a computer test and interview, followed up with an email of all of the necessary information to prepare. It included how to dress, what to bring, and that I might be there for up to 5 hours (yes, 5 hours) depending on who was available to speak with me.

Upon arriving, it was myself and about 6 other applicants all given our applications and information that we had to double check for accuracy. For the computer test, it was pretty straight forward. You have a simulation of a made-up insurance company and you have to listen to voice recordings of customers pretending to need various assistance, and emails along the same lines. Part of the test explains that they are looking for your multi-tasking and accuracy abilities, and that the test would intentionally give you more than you could handle and not to worry about it. Following this was a speed/accuracy typing test, like you'd take in a high school computer class. You get two chances at both tests, and it seems frustrating and intimidating at first, but its really not. As long as you are fairly computer savvy, read the directions, and focus, you'll do just fine.

After all of that, I was told I would be meeting with a recruiter for the next step of the interview. This was much more in-depth and took what seemed like quite a while. It was your standard interview with going over background information, previous jobs, etc., followed with questions along the lines of "tell us about a time when...." or "how did you do this..." followed by a series of hypothetical questions pertaining to the GEICO job role. Personally, I thought the interview went very well and had a great feeling about it, especially since she highlighted my Masters degree and said they were considering me for an "upper level claims rep" or something. After the round of questions, the recruiter gathered all of her paperwork and said she would turn it in and 1) make sure she didn't need to ask any more questions and 2) see if there was a hiring manager available to speak with me. After being gone two minutes, she returned and rather quickly said she had no more questions, there wasn't a manager available and that they would be in touch with me by the end of the week explaining the next step to me. She escorted me to the door back to the main lobby in a hurried manner and REFUSED TO SHAKE MY HAND! Didn't take that as a good sign.

So then a few days later, on a Friday at 4:30pm, I get an email saying that they have been trying to contact me, and since they "have been unable to reach {me}" that they "are therefore closing {my} file." It further explained that I have 48 hours to reach them to schedule a further discussion time or they will close the file. Slick huh? They email me on a Friday at 4:30 saying I have to get in touch with them in the next 48 hours. Nice. It's also laughable that they say that they can't get in touch with me, seeing as they had no issue getting in touch with me before and you have to verify your contact information at the computer test. I quickly called in and (surprise!) got a recording prompting me to leave a message, which I did, and additionally I emailed in at the address provided. In both forms of correspondence, I assured them I was interested in the position and left them the means to contact me along with the times. About 30 minutes after that, I got an email saying that previous email was an error, and that I was still considered a candidate and that someone would contact me on Monday by the end of the day. Monday morning, I received another email thanking me for my interest in their company and that they "appreciate the time {I've} spent getting to know our company" blah blah blah, and that they've "carefully considered" by application and information but that I haven't been selected but could reapply after six months.

In all it was just the standard hoops to jump through. Honestly, I can take a rejection, I'm just really irritated at unprofessional behavior like the interviewer not wanting to shake my hand and the supposed email errors. It hindsight I'm not sure that I would want to work for a company that gave me such images.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to GEICO?   1 Answer

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO.

Interview

Basic customer service question. Can you work weekends if needed. How many days did you miss work for the current year? Phone interview with recruiter then in person interview with hr and then hiring manager

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you have to deal with a hard customer situation. What was the outcome   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiatons. Set salary

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at GEICO in January 2015.

Interview

Easy phone interview. Simulated computer tests were slightly challenging but okay. Easy face to face interview. Mock phone calls were tough and at times bizarre. They give you forms to fill out while you're taking calls and periodically come inside the room to give you more papers to look at in between calls.

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at GEICO in December 2014.

Interview

I was very nervous about the interview process as it was a whole new world. I went in at 9:30 for a 9:45 time slot. Once you get there you wait about 15 minutes take the computer test. This by far was the hardest part in my belief. Its nerve racking as it is quick and its the basis of if you get seen or not. (pass fail) If you pass you are told someone from the department in which you applied for will come and get you, about another 10-15 minutes. The supervisor for my department came down and brought me upstairs to the liabilities claims department. I was introduced to an employee and was told that I will be watching him for a little bit to get a feel for the job I will be doing. This took about an hour. Listening to the calls that came in and watching the computer screen that looked like a new language. After that hour was up the supervisor came and got me and took me to a room to interview me. She asked basic interview questions that were in a booklet about work experience. (tell me about a time when you.......)
    Once done with that I waited about 15-20 minutes. She came back and asked if I was ready to see the manager in charge of our department. Once in her office she asks you similar questions to that of what the supervisor asked you. (Why should we hire you, Why do you want to work in this position) If all goes well you will get an offer. Be prepared to be there for no less then 5 hours if all goes well. It is a long day however it is worth it.

Interview Questions

• The test in the beginning was the most difficult part of the whole process for me. But be prepared to talk about yourself, and offer great experience stories.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate seeing as the pay is a great start for a great career.

Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GEICO (Woodbury, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

Okay so I applied for GEICO online, within a day I got an email saying with a link to take an assessment. So I did. The next day I got another email stating that I need to set up an phone interview, So I did for the following day. I got the call and she asked a few basic questions, told me about the hours and salary, she also told me what the next hiring date would be. The call lasted about 8 minutes, after the phone interview was a success the recruiter ask when can I come in, I told her that following Friday. I came into the office signed in, filled out some forms and then waited to get set up for the test. After I passed the test, I then met with an Tier 1 supervisor, whom placed me to sit with a claims rep for about 45 min to and hour. After this went and sat with the Tier 1 supervisor who proceeded to ask me some basic and scripted questions and wrote down my answers. This took about an hour, after this she left me for about 10 min and then returned by saying she will be referring me to an hiring supervisor. We walked back down stairs to the recruitment area, and the supervisor told the receptionist that she is referring me to a hiring supervisor, without even looking up at me she told me to " take off your visitor pass and give it to the security on your way out, and a hiring manager will be reviewing your file and will follow-up in 3 to 5 business days...Now I am a bit confused but after that I had a gut feeling that I did not get it... Based on GEICO hiring process online and all the reviews and comments that are posted from previous and current candidates,my process was completely different. I did not meet with a recruiter, hiring manager, or had a chances to role play. I felt like I wasted my time they filled that position before I even arrived, because it surly wasn't that I was not qualified or incapable of doing the job. I have worked in customer service all my life, I have a MBA and most of all I have personality....The icing on the cake for me is that they reject you and then tell you to reapply in six months,...what so I can be rejected again...