GEICO Liability Claims Representative Interview Questions

Updated Mar 30, 2015
Updated Mar 30, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at GEICO in March 2015.

Arrived at 7 for a 7:30 am interview. You can not enter the building until 7:30 so this was a waste of time. Computer test for typing proficiency and ability to multitask. The simulation is designed to overwhelm and see how an applicant handles pressure and ability to enter data accurately into a fake healthcare program from phone call and email transcriptions. This is timed. After passing (some in my group did not ) a supervisor brought me to sit with a liability claims rep for about an hour. They will explain their job and show you software you know nothing about. Everything will seem overwhelmingly foriegn. PAY ATTENTION TO WHATS GOING ON AS THEY WILL ASK YOU WHAT YOU LEARNED AND EXAMPLES OF THE TYPE OF CALLS THE REP HANDLED. Now the CHALLENGING part in my opinion is the interview. It lasted about 45 minutes and they asked many detailed situational questions. Have 3 or 4 stories of workplace success that show skills in problem solving, multi-tasking , and customer interaction. Be prepared to go into specific detail because they will make you elaborate and are fishing to see if you are full of crap . After the inquisition , if you do well, you will be asked to undergo another long interview with similar questions from the hiring manager, Your future main boss. Again be prepared to share specific work experience. emphasize problem solving, multi tasking, and being able to work in a fast paced call environment and you've got it. IF YOU DO NOT PREPARE FOR THIS INTERVIEW YOU WILL GET EATEN ALIVE.

Interview Questions
  • Give an example of when you were asked to achieve a challenging goal in your prior work experience? How did you achieve this goal? Give an example of ... How would you handle a customer who ... etc.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for GEICO

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GEICO in March 2015.

The phone interview was basic and pretty quick, but also 15 minutes later than the time I scheduled for. In short, they just went over the basics of what the job was about, the pay, the schedule, and when it started and does all of that sound good. It wasn't very detailed or thorough I thought. At the end, I was asked to schedule a time to come in and do a computer test and interview, followed up with an email of all of the necessary information to prepare. It included how to dress, what to bring, and that I might be there for up to 5 hours (yes, 5 hours) depending on who was available to speak with me.

Upon arriving, it was myself and about 6 other applicants all given our applications and information that we had to double check for accuracy. For the computer test, it was pretty straight forward. You have a simulation of a made-up insurance company and you have to listen to voice recordings of customers pretending to need various assistance, and emails along the same lines. Part of the test explains that they are looking for your multi-tasking and accuracy abilities, and that the test would intentionally give you more than you could handle and not to worry about it. Following this was a speed/accuracy typing test, like you'd take in a high school computer class. You get two chances at both tests, and it seems frustrating and intimidating at first, but its really not. As long as you are fairly computer savvy, read the directions, and focus, you'll do just fine.

After all of that, I was told I would be meeting with a recruiter for the next step of the interview. This was much more in-depth and took what seemed like quite a while. It was your standard interview with going over background information, previous jobs, etc., followed with questions along the lines of "tell us about a time when...." or "how did you do this..." followed by a series of hypothetical questions pertaining to the GEICO job role. Personally, I thought the interview went very well and had a great feeling about it, especially since she highlighted my Masters degree and said they were considering me for an "upper level claims rep" or something. After the round of questions, the recruiter gathered all of her paperwork and said she would turn it in and 1) make sure she didn't need to ask any more questions and 2) see if there was a hiring manager available to speak with me. After being gone two minutes, she returned and rather quickly said she had no more questions, there wasn't a manager available and that they would be in touch with me by the end of the week explaining the next step to me. She escorted me to the door back to the main lobby in a hurried manner and REFUSED TO SHAKE MY HAND! Didn't take that as a good sign.

So then a few days later, on a Friday at 4:30pm, I get an email saying that they have been trying to contact me, and since they "have been unable to reach {me}" that they "are therefore closing {my} file." It further explained that I have 48 hours to reach them to schedule a further discussion time or they will close the file. Slick huh? They email me on a Friday at 4:30 saying I have to get in touch with them in the next 48 hours. Nice. It's also laughable that they say that they can't get in touch with me, seeing as they had no issue getting in touch with me before and you have to verify your contact information at the computer test. I quickly called in and (surprise!) got a recording prompting me to leave a message, which I did, and additionally I emailed in at the address provided. In both forms of correspondence, I assured them I was interested in the position and left them the means to contact me along with the times. About 30 minutes after that, I got an email saying that previous email was an error, and that I was still considered a candidate and that someone would contact me on Monday by the end of the day. Monday morning, I received another email thanking me for my interest in their company and that they "appreciate the time {I've} spent getting to know our company" blah blah blah, and that they've "carefully considered" by application and information but that I haven't been selected but could reapply after six months.

In all it was just the standard hoops to jump through. Honestly, I can take a rejection, I'm just really irritated at unprofessional behavior like the interviewer not wanting to shake my hand and the supposed email errors. It hindsight I'm not sure that I would want to work for a company that gave me such images.

Liability Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO.

Basic customer service question. Can you work weekends if needed. How many days did you miss work for the current year? Phone interview with recruiter then in person interview with hr and then hiring manager

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you have to deal with a hard customer situation. What was the outcome   Answer Question
    No negotiatons. Set salary

Liability Claims Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at GEICO in January 2015.

Easy phone interview. Simulated computer tests were slightly challenging but okay. Easy face to face interview. Mock phone calls were tough and at times bizarre. They give you forms to fill out while you're taking calls and periodically come inside the room to give you more papers to look at in between calls.

Liability Claims Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at GEICO in December 2014.

I was very nervous about the interview process as it was a whole new world. I went in at 9:30 for a 9:45 time slot. Once you get there you wait about 15 minutes take the computer test. This by far was the hardest part in my belief. Its nerve racking as it is quick and its the basis of if you get seen or not. (pass fail) If you pass you are told someone from the department in which you applied for will come and get you, about another 10-15 minutes. The supervisor for my department came down and brought me upstairs to the liabilities claims department. I was introduced to an employee and was told that I will be watching him for a little bit to get a feel for the job I will be doing. This took about an hour. Listening to the calls that came in and watching the computer screen that looked like a new language. After that hour was up the supervisor came and got me and took me to a room to interview me. She asked basic interview questions that were in a booklet about work experience. (tell me about a time when you.......)
    Once done with that I waited about 15-20 minutes. She came back and asked if I was ready to see the manager in charge of our department. Once in her office she asks you similar questions to that of what the supervisor asked you. (Why should we hire you, Why do you want to work in this position) If all goes well you will get an offer. Be prepared to be there for no less then 5 hours if all goes well. It is a long day however it is worth it.

Interview Questions
    • The test in the beginning was the most difficult part of the whole process for me. But be prepared to talk about yourself, and offer great experience stories.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate seeing as the pay is a great start for a great career.

Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GEICO in September 2014.

Okay so I applied for GEICO online, within a day I got an email saying with a link to take an assessment. So I did. The next day I got another email stating that I need to set up an phone interview, So I did for the following day. I got the call and she asked a few basic questions, told me about the hours and salary, she also told me what the next hiring date would be. The call lasted about 8 minutes, after the phone interview was a success the recruiter ask when can I come in, I told her that following Friday. I came into the office signed in, filled out some forms and then waited to get set up for the test. After I passed the test, I then met with an Tier 1 supervisor, whom placed me to sit with a claims rep for about 45 min to and hour. After this went and sat with the Tier 1 supervisor who proceeded to ask me some basic and scripted questions and wrote down my answers. This took about an hour, after this she left me for about 10 min and then returned by saying she will be referring me to an hiring supervisor. We walked back down stairs to the recruitment area, and the supervisor told the receptionist that she is referring me to a hiring supervisor, without even looking up at me she told me to " take off your visitor pass and give it to the security on your way out, and a hiring manager will be reviewing your file and will follow-up in 3 to 5 business days...Now I am a bit confused but after that I had a gut feeling that I did not get it... Based on GEICO hiring process online and all the reviews and comments that are posted from previous and current candidates,my process was completely different. I did not meet with a recruiter, hiring manager, or had a chances to role play. I felt like I wasted my time they filled that position before I even arrived, because it surly wasn't that I was not qualified or incapable of doing the job. I have worked in customer service all my life, I have a MBA and most of all I have personality....The icing on the cake for me is that they reject you and then tell you to reapply in six months,...what so I can be rejected again...

Liability Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO in September 2014.

The GEICO location in Katy, TX will be bringing over 2000 jobs to the area over the course of a few years is what I was told. As of mid 2014 about 500 positions had already been filled. From what I witnessed roughly 90% of the positions were filled by African Americans. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with that however the demographic of the west Houston area is around 70% white. I passed the assessment during the initial part of my interview. They test typing speed and how fast you are able to handle customer service tasks. I was interviewed by a seemingly liberal Caucasian male that was transferred to Houston from Buffalo, NY. He had a list of ten or so ridiculous personality questions that he stated he would prefer to get through rather quickly. After insulting me under his breath several times he proceeded to tell me how wonderful it is that GEICO employees can indirectly invest in Berkshire Hathaway stock. He even mentioned that Warren Buffett visits the location every once in awhile to build personal relationships with each individual employee. I have been adjusting claims since 2008 for multiple carriers and was basically told sarcastically that the carriers I previously represented cannot match the benefits that GEICO has to offer. If you are a true insurance professional I would recommend staying away from this opportunity as the GEICO location in west Houston was built for and run by inexperienced amateurs that would otherwise be on the government dime. I was told that I would receive a follow up email after the interview and that I was going to feel "like a kid in a candy store" after starting the job. I never received a follow up phone call or email after I left that day.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I would prefer to work auto property damage claims rather that liability claims because it pays $45K a year rather than $41K a year.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online – interviewed at GEICO in September 2014.

2 phone interviews were standard and easy. They want to verify you can communicate well and are looking into this for the right reasons.

You are required to take a Caliper personality assessment. Easy, just make sure your answers are consistent - they'll recommend a position that best fits your personality e.i. sales, customer service, claims.

Called in for a skill set assessment test - typing and multi-tasking test. MAKE SURE CAPS LOCK IS OFF prior to the typing test. The multi-tasking test requires you to simply organize incoming calls and/or emails into three different categories in a fake medical software program. Be patient and calm with it. Just remember ALWAYS submit the phonecall/email into the system, even if its not %100 completed prior to time running out.

Was told that I passed. Scheduled me for an interview for two weeks down the line. Granted the hiring date wasn't for another month at that point in time. Waiting for the interview day.

Interview Questions
    • SImply look/listen for key words during the multi-tasking test.   Answer Question
    Still waiting on formal interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO in August 2014.

Applied online, within a day I got a call to schedule a phone interview. The Phone interview were mainly just basic questions on your work history and some school questions. Very basic. Then we scheduled another interview for face to face with the recruiter, and some assessment tests. If you do fine on the test you will speak with the recruiter, the question are roughly the same as the phone but more in depth, be ready with examples on customer service that you've given in the past.

After all the initial interviews....yes, I know its a long process....but it will pay off. The next part you will meet two managers, they will ask you questions that the recruiter asked you. So if you can remember them after the initial interviews, try to make them better, short and to the point. Also some possible questions on leadership skills. Mainly questions about past leadership roles that you've had. Be careful...they will go in depth and need specific answers. So also brush up on your past leadership experiences. Then the Role-play part begins!!! 40 mins of you acting like a Rep. answering calls from employees that call you and see how empathetic you are and how much you can write down. Always answer with a smile, it will help. If you do well congrats, after another talk with the Manager you will get an offer. Hardest part is the Role-play. Be ready and Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • How you think you will do in a goal-oriented environment?   Answer Question
    no neg

CLAIMS LIABILITY Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at GEICO.

Geicos hiring process is grueling. Once you get it you good to go though. I believe there was about 4 interviews for myself. After being hired i hear some people have more or less...just depends. The 1st "interview" almost EVERY person who applies gets called in to take a skill based assessment on the computer which is timed. If you pass they will sit you down and interview you directly with someone. Depending on how busy it is they may call you back in for the next Interview. On the same day 2nd interview, they asked very basic questions about resume, myself etc. 3rd interview was all situational case questions. About 20 questions that were repeated and switch around to trick you. Final interview was a "practical" or role-play interview where you were placed in a room with a phone and computer to mimic a true work environment. The interviewer called in a pretended to be a customer, and a few people come in the room to distract you to see how you would handle a real call, multitasking, and being empathetic.

Once you pass all that...good luck on the hair sample test. ALL employees must do a hair sample style drug test.

no neg