GEICO Liability Claims Representative Interview Questions

Updated Oct 10, 2014

3.4

42 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GEICO in September 2014.

Okay so I applied for GEICO online, within a day I got an email saying with a link to take an assessment. So I did. The next day I got another email stating that I need to set up an phone interview, So I did for the following day. I got the call and she asked a few basic questions, told me about the hours and salary, she also told me what the next hiring date would be. The call lasted about 8 minutes, after the phone interview was a success the recruiter ask when can I come in, I told her that following Friday. I came into the office signed in, filled out some forms and then waited to get set up for the test. After I passed the test, I then met with an Tier 1 supervisor, whom placed me to sit with a claims rep for about 45 min to and hour. After this went and sat with the Tier 1 supervisor who proceeded to ask me some basic and scripted questions and wrote down my answers. This took about an hour, after this she left me for about 10 min and then returned by saying she will be referring me to an hiring supervisor. We walked back down stairs to the recruitment area, and the supervisor told the receptionist that she is referring me to a hiring supervisor, without even looking up at me she told me to " take off your visitor pass and give it to the security on your way out, and a hiring manager will be reviewing your file and will follow-up in 3 to 5 business days...Now I am a bit confused but after that I had a gut feeling that I did not get it... Based on GEICO hiring process online and all the reviews and comments that are posted from previous and current candidates,my process was completely different. I did not meet with a recruiter, hiring manager, or had a chances to role play. I felt like I wasted my time they filled that position before I even arrived, because it surly wasn't that I was not qualified or incapable of doing the job. I have worked in customer service all my life, I have a MBA and most of all I have personality....The icing on the cake for me is that they reject you and then tell you to reapply in six months,...what so I can be rejected again...

Other Interview Reviews for GEICO

Liability Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO in September 2014.

The GEICO location in Katy, TX will be bringing over 2000 jobs to the area over the course of a few years is what I was told. As of mid 2014 about 500 positions had already been filled. From what I witnessed roughly 90% of the positions were filled by African Americans. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with that however the demographic of the west Houston area is around 70% white. I passed the assessment during the initial part of my interview. They test typing speed and how fast you are able to handle customer service tasks. I was interviewed by a seemingly liberal Caucasian male that was transferred to Houston from Buffalo, NY. He had a list of ten or so ridiculous personality questions that he stated he would prefer to get through rather quickly. After insulting me under his breath several times he proceeded to tell me how wonderful it is that GEICO employees can indirectly invest in Berkshire Hathaway stock. He even mentioned that Warren Buffett visits the location every once in awhile to build personal relationships with each individual employee. I have been adjusting claims since 2008 for multiple carriers and was basically told sarcastically that the carriers I previously represented cannot match the benefits that GEICO has to offer. If you are a true insurance professional I would recommend staying away from this opportunity as the GEICO location in west Houston was built for and run by inexperienced amateurs that would otherwise be on the government dime. I was told that I would receive a follow up email after the interview and that I was going to feel "like a kid in a candy store" after starting the job. I never received a follow up phone call or email after I left that day.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I would prefer to work auto property damage claims rather that liability claims because it pays $45K a year rather than $41K a year.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online – interviewed at GEICO in September 2014.

2 phone interviews were standard and easy. They want to verify you can communicate well and are looking into this for the right reasons.

You are required to take a Caliper personality assessment. Easy, just make sure your answers are consistent - they'll recommend a position that best fits your personality e.i. sales, customer service, claims.

Called in for a skill set assessment test - typing and multi-tasking test. MAKE SURE CAPS LOCK IS OFF prior to the typing test. The multi-tasking test requires you to simply organize incoming calls and/or emails into three different categories in a fake medical software program. Be patient and calm with it. Just remember ALWAYS submit the phonecall/email into the system, even if its not %100 completed prior to time running out.

Was told that I passed. Scheduled me for an interview for two weeks down the line. Granted the hiring date wasn't for another month at that point in time. Waiting for the interview day.

Interview Questions
    • SImply look/listen for key words during the multi-tasking test.   Answer Question
    Still waiting on formal interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO in August 2014.

Applied online, within a day I got a call to schedule a phone interview. The Phone interview were mainly just basic questions on your work history and some school questions. Very basic. Then we scheduled another interview for face to face with the recruiter, and some assessment tests. If you do fine on the test you will speak with the recruiter, the question are roughly the same as the phone but more in depth, be ready with examples on customer service that you've given in the past.

After all the initial interviews....yes, I know its a long process....but it will pay off. The next part you will meet two managers, they will ask you questions that the recruiter asked you. So if you can remember them after the initial interviews, try to make them better, short and to the point. Also some possible questions on leadership skills. Mainly questions about past leadership roles that you've had. Be careful...they will go in depth and need specific answers. So also brush up on your past leadership experiences. Then the Role-play part begins!!! 40 mins of you acting like a Rep. answering calls from employees that call you and see how empathetic you are and how much you can write down. Always answer with a smile, it will help. If you do well congrats, after another talk with the Manager you will get an offer. Hardest part is the Role-play. Be ready and Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • How you think you will do in a goal-oriented environment?   Answer Question
    no neg

CLAIMS LIABILITY Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at GEICO.

Geicos hiring process is grueling. Once you get it you good to go though. I believe there was about 4 interviews for myself. After being hired i hear some people have more or less...just depends. The 1st "interview" almost EVERY person who applies gets called in to take a skill based assessment on the computer which is timed. If you pass they will sit you down and interview you directly with someone. Depending on how busy it is they may call you back in for the next Interview. On the same day 2nd interview, they asked very basic questions about resume, myself etc. 3rd interview was all situational case questions. About 20 questions that were repeated and switch around to trick you. Final interview was a "practical" or role-play interview where you were placed in a room with a phone and computer to mimic a true work environment. The interviewer called in a pretended to be a customer, and a few people come in the room to distract you to see how you would handle a real call, multitasking, and being empathetic.

Once you pass all that...good luck on the hair sample test. ALL employees must do a hair sample style drug test.

no neg

Liability Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO in May 2014.

The process is long. There is a typing test, and a test where you input information on to different screens. If you pass that part, you will be interviewed by an hr rep. If you pass that part, you'll move on to a role play exercise. The next step is shadowing an employee and then an interview with the hiring supervisor. If your offered the job, you will then take a drug test. Expect to be there for at least 5 hours if you're doing well.

Interview Questions
    • It's a behavioral style interview. Tell me about a time...   Answer Question
    No negotiation, salary is set.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at GEICO in May 2014.

Phone Interview:Applications question repeated
    Testing- easy. You have to be really computer illiterate in order to fail
    Face 2 Face-Nothing out of the ordinary.
    Mock Call- hardest aspect. they say you dont need customer service but you do

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO.

I applied to the position online. In less than a week I received an e-mail telling me to select a time for a phone interview. I chose a date and time for later that week. HR called me on the selected date and asked me to reschedule for a later date because an '"emergency" happened in their department[red flag]

The phone interview was pretty straight forward. General questions.To be honest, I might has well have been talking to an automated system The person that was interviewing me was rather stoic and was just going through the motions. Not engaging at all. The person told me that there would be an assessment later on in the month and that I would come to the office to take it. They even asked me if I would be available on that date and I said yes.

Most of the questions asked were closed-ended, which is NOT a good thing for any interview. So...I thought the next step would be them sending me a message confirming me to come into the assessment since I told them that I could be available for that date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at GEICO in March 2014.

Everyone gets a call for an initial interview which will last 30 minutes and review your employment history and any gaps in employment. They'll also ask why you're interested in the job etc. Getting past this is easy unless you admit to being a serial killer. You have to remember that how GEICO hires people is by casting the largest net possible, then slowly eliminating through a several step interview process.

Once you go in for your test - for me it was a Liability Claims Rep - you will be put in a room full of computers and carious other applicants applying for various other positions. The computer test you'll take is fairly easy and will test your typing skills and your ability to transcribe information and learn computer systems. This is tested by setting you up as a representative for a fictional company which processes insurance claims and sells new policies. You'll be given several different scenarios from callers and emails where you'll basically have to input into this fictional system, whether the person wants to start a new insurance policy, file a claim for an existing policy, cancel an existing policy or alter an existing policy. The computer system is set up by giving you a set time to complete all of the inquiries coming in - for each one you have to choose what the caller is calling about (new claim, new policy etc) then transcribe the appropriate information (policy number, what the claim is about, how they want to pay etc.). The second part of this computer test will have you transcribe a statement from a client about some fictional claim they intend to file. It is set up with a divided screen - the top portion will be an account from the claimant which you have to read and transcribe. It tests how fast you can type and how many mistakes you'll make. Easy really - just get done with more than two lines and you'll pass.

Once you have passed your test the HR team will come in to interview you. Q's run the range from "why would you be good in this position" to "tell me about a time when you weren't able to please a customer and how did it turn out?" and "what would you do if a customer called in and you couldn't do what they were asking of you". Definitely got an algorythm esq. feel. Also got the feel that they realize nobody grows up wanting to be in insurance...but this was a feeling I got from my HR person - not something the company said openly of course.

SO - from the interview process (which lasts about an hour) - you'll go on to the roleplaying exercise, assuming you pass. This was actually kinda fun because the person on the other end of the phone is your interviewer and they have to pretend to be everyone from a shiztey contractor who is trying to overcharge for services to someone who doesn't speak any english. How it works is they set you up in a room with an instruction manual which explains to you a scenario in which you represent a claims representative from a fictional real estate company. You'll read this instruction pamphlet which contains what you need to know about the policies offered, and will be given several case files (which will be referenced during the calls you are about to take) and some information on the cost of the different policies. You'll also be given some forms which you have to fill out based on the calls you'll receive. Basically they want to see how well you can learn the process of filing new policies, filing new claims, talking with contractors and NEVER ACCEPTING THE INITIAL BID (if you get it below 5% of the initial bid that is acceptable) - and reviewing customer information. Once you take your calls - which range from someone filing a new claim to buying a new policy and an angry customer who wants to redo his house with the insurance company's money instead of just fixing the damage - you'll turn in your paperwork which will be graded along with your response to the calls.

FROM HERE - if you pass - you'll be taken to shadow a claims representative on the floor. MAKE SURE TO ASK QUESTIONS as if the person you're shadowing doesn't explain much or do much during your hour long session with him/her - you won't have anything to tell the supervisor who will be interviewing you in the next phase of the process.

Once you're done shadowing you get an interview with the person managing the TCR1 representatives which you'll be working with. This person, again, asks you everything the initial HR person did during the first part of the process and again notes everything in little boxes on a sheet of paper. The fact that GEICO will be investing a lot in you during the training period is emphasized - and if this person likes you - you can go on to the final step which is the background and credit check, along with the physical.

My experience was exhausting as I did ALL these steps in one day - it took me SIX HOURS. The starting pay for the Liability Claims Rep is $37,495 - this is paid during the training period as well.

Interview Questions
    • WHY do you want to work in a call center and be tied to a phone for 7.5 hours a day? Are you ok with not moving?   View Answer
    No negotiation - salary is set at $37,495

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at GEICO in February 2014.

First Step is the phone interview after applying. They then ask you to come in.
    Second Step is going to their office and taking a test. The test consists of going on a computer and typing so many wpm and taking fake calls and emails and putting them in the system based on the type. (I passed this portion).
    Third Step is meeting someone for an interview.