GEICO

37 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GEICO in May 2013.

Interview Details – The interview wasn't a normal interview. The interviewer just talk more about the company, the position, what all is expected of me and how salary/commission works. It was a easy going interview. He asked me more about myself and what I could bring to the company, but mostly he just talked.

Interview Question – There wasn't any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I knew that I wouldn't enjoy that job knowing I could make good money from it. I wanted a job in my career field and something I will enjoy.

Liability Claims Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in May 2014.

Interview Details – The process is long. There is a typing test, and a test where you input information on to different screens. If you pass that part, you will be interviewed by an hr rep. If you pass that part, you'll move on to a role play exercise. The next step is shadowing an employee and then an interview with the hiring supervisor. If your offered the job, you will then take a drug test. Expect to be there for at least 5 hours if you're doing well.

Interview Question – It's a behavioral style interview. Tell me about a time...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, salary is set.

Macon, GA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at GEICO in May 2014.

Interview Details – Phone Interview:Applications question repeated
Testing- easy. You have to be really computer illiterate in order to fail
Face 2 Face-Nothing out of the ordinary.
Mock Call- hardest aspect. they say you dont need customer service but you do

Interview Question – Mock Call   Answer Question

Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GEICO in March 2014.

Interview Details – Everyone gets a call for an initial interview which will last 30 minutes and review your employment history and any gaps in employment. They'll also ask why you're interested in the job etc. Getting past this is easy unless you admit to being a serial killer. You have to remember that how GEICO hires people is by casting the largest net possible, then slowly eliminating through a several step interview process.

Once you go in for your test - for me it was a Liability Claims Rep - you will be put in a room full of computers and carious other applicants applying for various other positions. The computer test you'll take is fairly easy and will test your typing skills and your ability to transcribe information and learn computer systems. This is tested by setting you up as a representative for a fictional company which processes insurance claims and sells new policies. You'll be given several different scenarios from callers and emails where you'll basically have to input into this fictional system, whether the person wants to start a new insurance policy, file a claim for an existing policy, cancel an existing policy or alter an existing policy. The computer system is set up by giving you a set time to complete all of the inquiries coming in - for each one you have to choose what the caller is calling about (new claim, new policy etc) then transcribe the appropriate information (policy number, what the claim is about, how they want to pay etc.). The second part of this computer test will have you transcribe a statement from a client about some fictional claim they intend to file. It is set up with a divided screen - the top portion will be an account from the claimant which you have to read and transcribe. It tests how fast you can type and how many mistakes you'll make. Easy really - just get done with more than two lines and you'll pass.

Once you have passed your test the HR team will come in to interview you. Q's run the range from "why would you be good in this position" to "tell me about a time when you weren't able to please a customer and how did it turn out?" and "what would you do if a customer called in and you couldn't do what they were asking of you". Definitely got an algorythm esq. feel. Also got the feel that they realize nobody grows up wanting to be in insurance...but this was a feeling I got from my HR person - not something the company said openly of course.

SO - from the interview process (which lasts about an hour) - you'll go on to the roleplaying exercise, assuming you pass. This was actually kinda fun because the person on the other end of the phone is your interviewer and they have to pretend to be everyone from a shiztey contractor who is trying to overcharge for services to someone who doesn't speak any english. How it works is they set you up in a room with an instruction manual which explains to you a scenario in which you represent a claims representative from a fictional real estate company. You'll read this instruction pamphlet which contains what you need to know about the policies offered, and will be given several case files (which will be referenced during the calls you are about to take) and some information on the cost of the different policies. You'll also be given some forms which you have to fill out based on the calls you'll receive. Basically they want to see how well you can learn the process of filing new policies, filing new claims, talking with contractors and NEVER ACCEPTING THE INITIAL BID (if you get it below 5% of the initial bid that is acceptable) - and reviewing customer information. Once you take your calls - which range from someone filing a new claim to buying a new policy and an angry customer who wants to redo his house with the insurance company's money instead of just fixing the damage - you'll turn in your paperwork which will be graded along with your response to the calls.

FROM HERE - if you pass - you'll be taken to shadow a claims representative on the floor. MAKE SURE TO ASK QUESTIONS as if the person you're shadowing doesn't explain much or do much during your hour long session with him/her - you won't have anything to tell the supervisor who will be interviewing you in the next phase of the process.

Once you're done shadowing you get an interview with the person managing the TCR1 representatives which you'll be working with. This person, again, asks you everything the initial HR person did during the first part of the process and again notes everything in little boxes on a sheet of paper. The fact that GEICO will be investing a lot in you during the training period is emphasized - and if this person likes you - you can go on to the final step which is the background and credit check, along with the physical.

My experience was exhausting as I did ALL these steps in one day - it took me SIX HOURS. The starting pay for the Liability Claims Rep is $37,495 - this is paid during the training period as well.

Interview Question – WHY do you want to work in a call center and be tied to a phone for 7.5 hours a day? Are you ok with not moving?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - salary is set at $37,495

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – I applied to the position online. In less than a week I received an e-mail telling me to select a time for a phone interview. I chose a date and time for later that week. HR called me on the selected date and asked me to reschedule for a later date because an '"emergency" happened in their department[red flag]

The phone interview was pretty straight forward. General questions.To be honest, I might has well have been talking to an automated system The person that was interviewing me was rather stoic and was just going through the motions. Not engaging at all. The person told me that there would be an assessment later on in the month and that I would come to the office to take it. They even asked me if I would be available on that date and I said yes.

Most of the questions asked were closed-ended, which is NOT a good thing for any interview. So...I thought the next step would be them sending me a message confirming me to come into the assessment since I told them that I could be available for that date.

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GEICO in February 2014.

Interview Details – First Step is the phone interview after applying. They then ask you to come in.
Second Step is going to their office and taking a test. The test consists of going on a computer and typing so many wpm and taking fake calls and emails and putting them in the system based on the type. (I passed this portion).
Third Step is meeting someone for an interview.

Macon, GA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GEICO in October 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process at GEICO was long and tedious. I arrived at 9am for a computer-based assessment. The assessment consisted of typing a paragraph as accurately and as fast as you could and a listening/data entry activity. The listening/ data entry activity consisted of listening to callers and filling in forms based on the callers needs. It sounds easy, but it can be frustrating when you have multiple callers calling at one time. However, that was the easy part of the process. If you pass that, you go on to the next part--the interview. The interview was weird. I was interviewed by a young lady with a tongue ring, who did not give me any eye contact. The questions all started off with, "Tell me a time when you..." This lasted for close to an hour, but it felt like eternity. Oh, and she typed all my answers, so all I heard was typing as I was answering her questions. Then, I had to wait for a long time before going to the next portion of the screening--roll call. That was hell. You're placed in a room by yourself. You're given about 20 minutes to read over all the documents. Once the 20 minutes are up, you have to answer fake calls, remembering all the information you read, while filling out the right forms, etc. You definitely need to be good at multitasking. That's the part that I did not pass, so I did not get the job. She told me that she liked me and that I did really well on the first two parts and that I could apply again in 6 months...yeah right. Too much work for something I'm not even passionate about.

Interview Question – What was unexpected was the fact that it wasn't a conversation but more so an interrogation. There was no eye contact. She typed everything I said, and all the questions started off with "Tell me a time when you..." I really had to think fast.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – Long, tedious

Interview Question – Have you applied for other job and what are they? How long ago did you apply? Have you gotten a response from them yet?   Answer Question

Liability Claims Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online & received an email twenty minutes later to set up a phone interview for the following day. I spoke with an HR representative for about 15 minutes. I was asked basic questions about my work history & was given a brief description of the job. I was asked to to come in the following day which was a monday.

STEP 1: The skills test
I was asked to fill out some paper work & then was put in a room full of computers with another person. The test was made to last about 40 minutes, in which you test you skills of typing,listening & taking notes. you're expected to document customer calls & emails. this was fairly easy just make sure you put in accurate information. The quantity doesn't mater. I thought I bombed this part but it turns out I passed.

STEP 2 1:1 interview with a supervisor
the process took about 45 minutes in which i was asked basic STAR questions..." How would you react to an irate customer?, Name a time you couldn't meet a goal". The interviewer read from a booklet of questions & documented my answers. he then left the room for about 10 minutes to review my answers. I was asked to come back the following week for the next part of the interview process.

STEP 3: Role Play Scenario
I was put into an office room with a booklet, some pens, an highlighter, paperclips & folders. you are asked to read of material from a fake insurance company. You are given 20 minutes to review then you receive three phone calls in which you must answer customer questions & complaints. This was the most stressful part because you are asked to retain & huge amount of info in a short time. after the calls you have a mini interview with another hiring recruiter. asked the same question. In the end i was told i passed the role play & would move on to the next phase of the interview process.

STEP 4: Shadowing an actual Claims Rep/ Meeting with Manager
you sit with an associate for an hour & see how the job really is. This, in my opinion was the best part. During this phase ask as many questions as you can & really make the decision of if this is the right profession for you. after which I sat with a manager & once again was asked the same questions i was asked previously. *SELL YOURSELF* during this part. I was told someone would call me in 3 business to tell me my results.

The following day i was offered the position.

Note* if you're not there for a long time chances are you didn't make it to the next phase. they tell you right then & there if you passed. BE ON TIME. punctuality is very important!

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you had to make a goal?
Why Geico?
How would you deal with an irate customer?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Set pay

Very Difficult Interview

Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at GEICO in December 2013.

Interview Details – Plan on spending over 6 hours if you pass the computer test.

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!