GEICO

Getting the Interview

39 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Carmel, IN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in March 2014.

Interview Details – Started with phone interview. Then scheduled a computer skills test. Then one on one interview.

Interview Question – Questions that had to do with "describe a specific time".   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Found another career opportunity.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GEICO in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and received call back a couple of weeks later to set up interview. Initial Interview had typing test, then face to face interview followed by sales role play. Mine was all done on the same day.

Interview Question – Not really difficult questions. However, I did not expect role play. But, that was not bad at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Just signed paper work got drug test pretty straight forward.

Buffalo, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GEICO in September 2013.

Interview Details – I did a lenghty applicaiton online which had some questions tied into it. Afterwards I was contacted to setup a phone interview. I was called by a gentlemen who was extremely nice. He asked me about my working history and education, typical interview questions.
After that I went in for computer testing on a Saturday, which is not something that I have been able to do with other jobs (most only offer weekdays). The staff in the afternoon was excellent. I went thru a face to face interview after that and some skills testing. Finally I was asked to go for a face to face interview with a member of management. Before I did that I sat with someone actually doing the job, which was great to actually see the job one on one. The hiring staff made it a pretty simple process.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for GEICO, Why Sales, etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not a negotiation phase.

Woodbury, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GEICO in May 2013.

Interview Details – online application, which takes about 3 min, and then I receive a confirmation email asked to finish a online test which takes about 5 min. Then next day I got a phone call asking about my personal information, not a really phone interview, and then to schedule a on-site interview. The location I applied is in the main office at LI, which is too far away from where I goes to school, I cannot figure out my class schedule to fit the interview, so I did go.

Interview Question – Your experience on sale, which I never had.   Answer Question

Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GEICO in April 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call a week later. Aside from the phone screening, I had to complete a few tests (multi tasking, personality, typing, role playing) and interview with the managers.

They are looking for goals/numbers driven individuals, that can handle and be dependable in a fast paced, high volume environment.

Interview Question – Describe a variety of past sales situations in which you were able to suceed   Answer Question

Poway, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at GEICO in January 2009.

Interview Details – Strait forward questions about sales

Interview Question – no difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was a set pay scale.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – You do a simulation where you basically answer fake phone calls and have to simultaneously type as fast and correct as possible. Then I believe there's a portion where you have a words per minute calculator. All of it is designed to have you feel stressed because there's a timer and nobody ever finishes. That's not that point.

Then you might get a role play where they put you in a cold room with a phone, give you a small packet with a scenario you'll basically be role playing, for example. Mine was a car wash, they tell you about the business and the different levels of car washes. Then the interviewer goes into another room, gives you about 20 or so minutes to read all the material. Then calls you, acts like a customer. They'll drop hints "I have a lot of kids and I don't have too much time ever" so you'd recommend the express wash. Basically they're looking for if you can not freak out and just generally TRY to mention one of the packages. I recommend taking charge and TELL them what wash to do. Nothing to be nervous about.

Then you take a drug and background check (VERY rigorous and btw they test your HAIR sample, and drugs stay in hair for about 6 months or so. So if that's you, do yourself a favor and don't apply)

Then final interview with the manager which is basically standard stuff. Ask why you want to sell, tell examples. Just sound genuine and interested and excited.

Honestly they hire anybody. Lately it's a lot of people who used to work at fast food places, comics shops, unemployed for years. Just have a pulse and don't be a COMPLETE screw up (which honestly is VERY hard to find apparently) and you can get the job. They're not picky.

Negotiation Details – There was none. It was "Here's what we're offering, take it or leave it" basically.

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – I applied online, which is fairly lengthy because you have to enter in all of your work history -- you can't just submit a resume.

One day later I received a phone call, which is a short 15 minute interview. General questions about work history, can you work within our standards, and how would you handle ....

After that, you're invited to go into the office and take a computer based multitasking test. It's basically can you listen/read information and then put it into the computer.

Pass that and then it's onto the personality test. DO NOT be honest. Answers that make you seem outgoing, goal-oriented, and honest are what they are looking for. Always answer to the extreme -- I have never been late for anything in my life -- I strongly agree.

Pass that and you're on to the one on one interview. This is a more detailed version of the phone interview. Specific questions about how you handled, or would handle situations.

Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – I arrived 15 minutes early and had no problem with being directed to where I needed to go. Be prepared to write down your work history and previous addresses that you lived at for the last 7 years on paper work. Although you fill it out on the application bring key information, such as the address of the store you worked at 7 years ago. After that you will take a test. If you don't feel like you have strong typing skills there are websites you can practice on that seem to help. Multitasking test was easy once you understood the layout. I passed those and had an interview. I was told they were passing along my resume to the head of sales, and would receive a call. The hours the phone interviewer gave me that I would work did change in the second interview so make sure you confirm any information you discussed initially.

Interview Question – Customer related questions... a time when you had to resolve an issue with a customer. A time you had to persuade someone to buy or do something.   Answer Question

Interviewed at GEICO

Interview Details – They called about setting up an interview and when I arrived it was nothing but a large group interview and it was all commission based.

Interviews for Top Jobs at GEICO

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!

GEICO Videos

GEICO – Why Work for Us?

Government Employees Insurance Company. Puzzled, are you? Well, the name goes back to the beginnings of the company. Founder Leo Goodwin first targeted a customer base of U.S. government employees and military… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GEICO Sales Representative interview questions and advice. All 39 interview reviews posted anonymously by GEICO employees and interview candidates.