GEICO Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Apr 13, 2015
Updated Apr 13, 2015

3.3

Auto Claims Adjuster Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at GEICO (Rockville, MD) in April 2015.

Interview

Don't expect a fair shake if you are a woman. You might get it at your location, but you won't in some.

Started with application online. About 2 weeks later, received a phone call for a short interview, about 20 minutes. Questions like: what do you know about this position? What made you apply? Described schooling process, that you had to have 100% attendance and 90% GPA, that the job itself could find you working in unsafe settings. Passed that easily.

Then they email you a form to fill out. It's basic driving information, so if you do get accepted that they know you are insurable to drive a company vehicle if needed. Checked ok.

Next step is an email from a recruiter, to schedule a time to do an online test. You have to be on the phone during the test and cannot mute it. Test is 2 parts - 1) spatial ability - series of 3d blocks, have to tell how many other blocks a particular block is touching 2) word comprehension - reading and then followup questions. Both parts are timed. Supposedly you are scored on quality and quantity of answers. I finished the word test, but not the spatial test. She scored right away and said I had passed. That in 1-2 weeks, I should get an email to set up an interview with management.

Email came in a few days. I set up an interview time. This is when all professionalism went out the window.

Arrived for a 1pm interview. There were 2 other men waiting for the same time and 1 man who had already passed the interview stage and the role play stage and was waiting for his next phase. Waited 45 minutes before someone came out to address us. The manager came out, introduced himself to the men. I stood up to introduce myself since he hadn't addressed me. He said, "You're here for an interview, too?" His face looked shocked and a bit condescending, I can only assume because I am a woman. He apologized for the delay and said they would be getting to us soon.

In the meantime, two other men came out who had passed various stages of the process and were waiting to see if they made it to the next step.

At 2pm, one hour after the interview time, the manager came back and took one of the men back. A few minutes later a different man came to take me back. I found out he was just a supervisor, so much for an interview with management. I was polite, asked him about how his day was as we walked back to a conference room. He barely said anything, seemed upset that he was having to do my interview.

The interview is scripted. He worked completely off a laptop. His interviewing skills were very unprofessional. He slouched and moved around in his chair, often put a hand up to his mouth as he was speaking and yawned again and again. I have years of recruiting and interviewing experience and I've never treated a candidate as he did me. I knew very quickly that he wasn't going to recommend me forward. He asked me if I had any experience working on cars and seemed to disbelieve what I said. I've worked on every car I've ever owned from doing a simple oil change to pulling out bad O2 sensors and changing an alternator. I do know a thing or two about cars.

Then came my time for questions. I asked a few about his experience and what caused people to fail at the job. Last, I asked about a few recurring themes from those who have worked the job and posted about it negatively: unrealistic goals (have to take work home and work for free to keep up), earn sick/vacation but if you use it counts against your dependability score, and high turnover rate. He never really addressed any of them and even said at one point, very sarcastically: is there a question there? It sounds like a statement. I had already said that I wanted to get his feedback on these claims.

Then he lied, stating that HR had to "score" the interview and that I would hear back from them in 1-2 weeks. I already knew that if I had "passed" his standards that I would be taken to the next step in the process. So no surprise today when the email declining to consider me further came.

I feel like my time was wasted and that being a woman was definitely part of the reason I was not considered. In the end, I am thankful though, as it seems the negativity is true for Geico.

Interview Questions

• A shop disagrees with your estimate of labor hours and says you are trying to cheat the customer, who do you handle the situation?   Answer Question

GEICO Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GEICO (Fredericksburg, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

Horrible! This must have been the most ridiculous interview process that I have ever experienced. The typing test and computer email questions were way too excessive for a $30,000 a year call center job. They do not even give you enough time to review the instructions before testing. I should have listened to the reviews on Glassdoor before I accepted the interview....a complete waste of time.

Technical Development Program--System Analyst Track Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at GEICO (Chevy Chase, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process took four months to complete. I started with a phone interview with HR, didn't hear back for about 2 months. When I did hear back, I had a phone interview with a manager. Then I heard back after a few weeks with an offer! During my interview process I was asked to switch tracks from Software Developer to System Analyst, which I accepted.

Auto Damage Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at GEICO (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

It was 20 minute phone screening and the interviewer asked basic questions about my employment dates and why did I leave. Also asked why geico? what interest you about the position? I am currently in school and she wanted to know about my status as a student. I did not feel nervous because it was basic background information.

Interview Questions

• During your job search did you apply to another company other than Geico   1 Answer
    • When do you see yourself doing what you went to school for?   1 Answer

Actuarial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO (Chevy Chase, MD) in January 2015.

Interview

Got an email asked me if I would like to move further for an interview. submitted all the required materials and the question sheet, never got an response back for further information not even a phone interview!

Product Management Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO (Chevy Chase, MD).

Interview

Applied through college recruiting and was asked to take a questionnaire regarding various background experiences and project based questions. A couple of days later I was asked to take an assessment given through Excel. You were given two hours to complete this, and there were some insurance related questions, in which I had no prior experience with. Almost immediately after completing the assessment I was invited to talk with a current PMA. It was mostly behavioral and wouldn't worry too much about this round. About 3 or 4 days later I was emailed for an invitation for a final round at their HQ. I would highly highly recommend that you literally research everything about GEICO because they will ask you about the most random history of the company. Like literally, if you actually want this you need to be able to spit out random and useless facts which in my opinion was really dumb. During the actual on site interview I had 4 interviews with a lunch in the cafeteria with current analysts. One of the interviews you have a manager that goes over the assessment with you in detail. LISTEN AND TAKE NOTES. Because in another interview they WILL ask you questions regarding insurance terms. Next you will have an interview with two VP's within Product Management. This is what really turned me off and when one person wanted the most minute details regarding GEICO which was really unnecessary. In addition she was really unprofessional and mean when I didn't have the level of detail she wanted to hear and immediately told me I didn't get the position. Thus I felt that much of my day was wasted and even if it had gone well, I would never in a million years have took it because of her unprofessional actions.

Interview Questions

• Just research the company. Additionally they expect you to know insurance terms which was not communicated forth to me.   Answer Question

Lead Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO (Washington, DC) in December 2014.

Interview

I spoke with the hiring manager. It seemed that the interviewer did not want to know me, but rather wanted to show that I do not know some analytical tools he studied (yes, I do not know all the tools). At the end of the interview, I was told that I do not qualify for the position but I can proceed with one level down Data Scientist position (BA level; I have PhD and 6 years of experience) with the salary 30K-40K less than what I am making now. I agreed with the intention of practicing. They sent a home test that would require significant work (probably data cleaning and then Logistic regression, decision tree, or smth similar) on their corporate data. I decided that it is not worth the effort even for practicing; I also was not fond of giving free consulting services.

Management Development Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GEICO (Fredericksburg, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

Went through a 30 minute phone screening - asked about my leadership experiences, why geico, why the specific department I picked. The recruiter missed my first phone call due to a meeting that ran overtime, so we had to reschedule for another time the following week.
    After that, went through a longer phone interview for an hour. Asked about different scenarios and how I would handle them within my department as a leader/associate.
    Moved on to final rounds but decided to stop there since it didn't seem like a place I wanted to work.

Interview Questions

• If an employee keeps making excuses for poor performance, what would you do as their supervisor?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO (Fredericksburg, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process is long and tedious. If you make it to the end, plan on being there for about 5-6 hours. First there is the phone interview that is really basic. Then there is the computer test, which is basically gauging how well you handle stress and how well you multi-task and type. Then you have the f2f interview with the initial interviewer, do your research on the company and the position you are applying for so you can cater you answers to their needs. They will basically ask you the usual questions, i.e. "Why did you chose Geico?" "Why this position?" "How long could you see yourself working here?" etc. Then they have you do a role playing test, which tests out how well you can sell a product and how good your people skills are. If you make it past all of this, they will have you shadow someone-which you need to pay attention, because they will ask you about what you heard. The last step is having the f2f interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• There really weren't any difficult questions just over prepare and practice your answers and be happy and jovial and relaxed when you go in.   Answer Question

Mobile User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GEICO (Chevy Chase, MD) in July 2014.

Interview

Very professional from start to finish. Recruiting was honest about the pros and cons of the company, the opportunity, and my potential fit.

Initial phone screen, followed by two technical phone screens, which led to a 3 hour onsite interview (with sample writing test).

Great company, press them to pay you market value!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Professional and extremely well done.