GLOBALFOUNDRIES Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

2.8

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GLOBALFOUNDRIES (Malta, NY).

Interview

Got a call from the Hiring manager. Then an hour long Interview was scheduled where the interviewer asked about Java programming language and Databases and basics of Web based development

Process Technician Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GLOBALFOUNDRIES in August 2015.

Interview

Submitted application/resume online via company website. I received an email from HR within 2 days letting me know that I met their requirements. I was directed to complete a series of tests, including a technical test. I was notified a few days later that I had passed. I was invited to interview the following Friday. The interviewed consisted of a group exercise and 3 one on one interviews. The interviews were as expected. One was with HR and two were with technical supervisors.

Interview Questions

• Typical HR questions: best/worst quality, a scenario and how would I handle it, and why Globalfoundries. Also interviewed with tech supervisors and was asked to explain most rewarding technical experience and how my skills translated to the position.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malta, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GLOBALFOUNDRIES (Malta, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

got 2.5 hours interview 3 round,1 hour each and on half hour with HR For lithography team.Most of them are from Singapore. One of them is department manager. They are all nice people, did not see any one who is very rude.

Interview Questions

• Many kinds of different question, technical and non-technical, Overall is not too hard to answer   1 Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malta, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GLOBALFOUNDRIES (Malta, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

They bring interviewees in on Fridays. Usually there are three thirty minute interviews, one with an HR person, one with an engineer, and one with a manager. The manager who interviewed me was cold and in a bad mood. I asked him how he was and he replied "eeeehhhhh," as if to say he wasn't doing so well.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at GLOBALFOUNDRIES (Malta, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I had one on-site interview, 30 minutes, with four people from the team I would be joining, including one person who was my initial email contact. They responded with an offer within 3-4 days. The interview itself was very fast-paced, with interviewers shooting questions at me quickly after I answered a previous question. They also built on each others' questions and statements, allowing me to only ask one quick question. Additionally, one person in particularly (who will be my direct supervisor) seemed very keen on describing the benefits of the job in my career and teaching me real-world skills, as though he was selling me the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little bit about yourself.   1 Answer

Failure Analysis Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malta, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GLOBALFOUNDRIES (Malta, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

They bring all interviewees in on one day (not Friday for me, as with another reviewer, but Tuesday, I think it was). They put me up in a nice hotel far away from the company site. Finding the company is like figuring out a maze - really. Study the route thoroughly on Google Maps. You go through lots of 'roundabouts' and you could easily get completely turned around. Get there very early, not only for that reason but because, as another person said, getting a parking space is virtually impossible. I had to circle for about fifteen minutes, getting more and more nervous, before determining that the only space I would find would be at the furthest 'outpost' of Globalfoundries before the forest starts up at the very end of the property. I had no choice but to park illegally along some 'no parking' red painted area, blocking traffic slightly. The walk to the entrance was about eight or so minutes. Note that a busy highway is the typical route needed to get there and you may get delayed, especially since you will not be familiar at all with the area. The first part of the interview process was strange. I was told that there would be a 'group activity' but it sounded more like a group orientation to show us all the facility, tell us about the company, etc - it sounded nice. It turned out to be completely different: it was a competitive contest where all of us were being watched and notes were taken. Not only that, the 'proctors' or test attendants turned out to be, unbeknownst to me, two of the people who would be interviewing me (that was a slightly uncomfortable revelation). The group activity was a hypothetical situation where all the approx. ten interviewees were an ad hoc team thrown together with no knowledge of our skills or background. We had to come up with a plan to assemble and sell cars using models with many wooden and plastic parts, some of which were defective and wouldn't fit. There were parts of multiple models all thrown together in boxes and we quickly had to sort them and organize how to assemple them with as few defective parts as possible (because these cars couldn't be sold). We had to make estimates up front about how many cars we could deliver and were penalized for any shortfall. This was all strictly timed - you could feel the sense of urgancy in the air. That was kind of ingenious in a sense, but it put pressure on interviewees who were already under pressure. It created an instant 'pecking order', where the most aggresive people started taking charge and giving orders. It was an interesting psychological study, perhaps, but not helpful to see if I, as an interviewee, would be a good Failure Analysis Technician. The interviews were generally, in contrast to the 'group activity', very low key and no difficult questions were asked - only things that any candidate for this type job should know. However, one interviewer was very tough in his attitude and I was immediately put off by him. I could tell he didn't like me and that I wouldn't get the job just on his input alone. He made the preposterous claim that working nights (like 6:30pm-6:30am) he only needed two hours sleep. Not only is this an impossible pace to keep up, but it is unhealthy (see many studies on shift workers and obesity, heart disease, depression, etc.) and I don't believe for a minute that he or anyone, especially someone in his fifties as he was, could keep that up for long. Surely people trying to work there with so little sleep would begin quickly to have accidents, destroy product, and damage equipment. It is a fact of life, though, that working nights on compressed many people end up getting very little sleep just because of insomnia, not being able to drown out sounds of lawnmowers and traffic, disturbed circadian rhythm, family demands (maybe having a sick toddler or other issue at home), etc. In that sense, being able to work twelve hour shifts for four days with only two hours sleep per day would indeed be a very big plus for someone working there. The other interviewers were nice, friendly, but mostly reserved. I couldn't get a feel for how working for Globalfoundries would be like. I got a very good impression of Global from the look of the facilities and from the HR people who ushered us in, but could not gauge at all the feelings of employees. I got the impression that Global was run kind of like a typical Korean or Japanese company - very, very tough places to work. For example, the interviewer who only gets two hours sleep per night told me that 'we don't take two hour breaks after each sample' (as he presumed we did at Texas Instruments, I gathered) - this alone told me I would be watched and expected to perform like a machine if I were working at Global.

Interview Questions

• What is one key thing you need to set when making SEM images (paraphrased)   1 Answer
    • How do you feel about working at night, compressed shifts? (paraphrased)   1 Answer

Equipment Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GLOBALFOUNDRIES.

Interview

Effective, efficient, well organized and professional, the interview process was done very well. There was a series of interviews, which were roughly 35-40 min in length and done non-stop for several hours. They interviewers were a fair sampling of HR personnel, process engineers, experience managers and experienced equipment engineers. Prepare to test your bladder!

Interview Questions

• Six Sigma experience and examples of tools used to resolve problems with equipment.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The compensation package offer was more than expected, they are very serious about obtaining talented people and make legitimate offers from the start.

Equipment Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at GLOBALFOUNDRIES (Malta, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

On site interview. Very casual and comfortable. Received a brief tour of the facilities from HR and then had two, 1:1 interviews in the cafeteria. Was very pleased with the overall experience and really enjoyed the atmosphere and culture I picked up in the interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didn't try to negotiate, was happy with offer.

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GLOBALFOUNDRIES (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The worst interview I have ever experienced. Nobody was expecting me, I was left alone without anyone checking on me, no lunch was offered, etc. Preparations were very unprofessional. Offices seem new, but are very run down and messy. You can sense a lack of pride and the morale problems written about in the company reviews. Poor first impression

Interview Questions

• There were several questions about my background and technical knowledge   1 Answer
    • Not exactly sure what the HR guy was doing. He asked mostly general questions with little follow up   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at GLOBALFOUNDRIES (Troy, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I received a phone call from HR to interview with GlobalFoundries for their Photolithography Intern position. I ended up interviewing with two people on the other line: the HR person and the engineering supervisor. All the questions were behavioral, and they mostly asked questions concerning my resume.