GMO

18 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at GMO.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter. Phone interview in a few days. Interviewed first round in a week. Very technical and interesting.

Problems includes coding questions, brain teasers, white board coding, language knowledge, etc.

Also discussed in detail about previous experiences.

Second round of on-site interview include an on-site coding exam. I did not follow up because I am talking about an offer with another company. Overall GMO is very responsive and the interview process is very efficient, challenging and interesting.

Interview Question – Not too much. But the interviewers do prepared a lot of questions. I do not expect most people to go through all questions.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GMO.

Interview Details – There is an initial phone screen and it's like most others I've done. The in person interviews are average as well. The only thing is you'll talk to many different people and they will ask their favorite technical questions. The timeframe is unususally long. They will almost always ask you to consult for 3 months. They say it's faster. I suspect it's really to avoid paying out the bonus, which only takes effect if you work there a full calendar year. The 3 month contract can easily turn into 6 months before you get hired.

Interview Question – I was asked about solving factorials. I had no idea how to solve the question, but was given the opportunity to email the answer later.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HR will try to get you to accept a very low base salary. They will attempt to justify this by suggesting they pay at least a 35% bonus. In my case it was only 18%. Well below expecations. I will never put myself in such a risky situation again. My advice is to only accept a base salary without regard to the bonus. You could be very unhappy in January.

Coop Interview

Coop
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GMO in March 2014.

Interview Details – question about my project

Analyst Interview

Analyst

Interview Details – 3 month process, multliple rounds

Interview Question – do you play ping pong   View Answer

Reporting Systems Developer Co-op Interview

Reporting Systems Developer Co-op
Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GMO in October 2013.

Interview Details – It was a quick 1 hour interview with 3 people. First round was a discussion about dotnet & visual studio related stuff. 2nd one was more into SQL related questions. The final interview was more about the job responsibilities.

Interview Question – Almost all the questions were simple enough. The most tricky one was about a scenario involving multiple reporting related data to be fetched from the SQL database & the best way to implement that.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fixed compensation

Software QA Interview

Software QA

Interviewed at GMO

Interview Details – Interview process was easy. I had 4 rounds 3 technical one hr round. All onsite back to back.

Interview Question – No difficult question. questions were easy I was asked how would you test a pen.   Answer Question

Software Developer Coop Interview

Software Developer Coop

Interviewed at GMO

Interview Details – I had 3 rounds of interview for the coop position starting at 8 am. First interview was behavioral and expectations-matching one. This was followed by a technical one where questions related to database, dynamic queries were asked.

Interview Question – query optimization   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – yes. I had an offer at hand and they matched up !

Relationship Manager Interview

Relationship Manager
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 months - interviewed at GMO in February 2012.

Interview Details – This is a very long interview process. I believe I met 15 distinct people, some more than once. It appears that you must receive the thumbs up from all of your interviews to get to the finish line.

Interview Question – When are they going to fire your CEO?   Answer Question

Reporting Systems Developer Interview

Reporting Systems Developer
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GMO in April 2013.

Interview Details – There are 4 interviews. The first is with the manager, which is just an informal talk. The second and the third is more technical, where they ask questions about Javascript, Jquery, C# and SQL Server. The last one is just a regular HR interview. The phone interview lasts for around 30 mins. Then the two technical interviews lasts for around 30-40 mins each.

Interview Question – There wasn't really any unexpected question. It was general designing questions. Like, they gave two tables and asked to find a particular result in SQL Server using joins.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate as the offer was pretty descent and more importantly the work they were doing was good.

Intern Interview

Intern
Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GMO in January 2010.

Interview Details – The internship interview process was rather straightforward. I applied through the school website, and the person who I was going to work with first interviewed me over the phone. After the phone interview, I was brought in to first write a test (with questions mostly about probability, statistics and portfolio theory). After the written test, I had 3 interviews (2 with people from different divisions, and one with the head of the division). If the head likes you, you are in for all practical purposes.

Interview Question – Describe how you would implement a simple portfolio optimizer in Matlab.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not neotiate

Worked for GMO? Contribute to the Community!