GMO

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at GMO.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter. Phone interview in a few days. Interviewed first round in a week. Very technical and interesting.

Problems includes coding questions, brain teasers, white board coding, language knowledge, etc.

Also discussed in detail about previous experiences.

Second round of on-site interview include an on-site coding exam. I did not follow up because I am talking about an offer with another company. Overall GMO is very responsive and the interview process is very efficient, challenging and interesting.

Interview Question – Not too much. But the interviewers do prepared a lot of questions. I do not expect most people to go through all questions.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GMO.

Interview Details – There is an initial phone screen and it's like most others I've done. The in person interviews are average as well. The only thing is you'll talk to many different people and they will ask their favorite technical questions. The timeframe is unususally long. They will almost always ask you to consult for 3 months. They say it's faster. I suspect it's really to avoid paying out the bonus, which only takes effect if you work there a full calendar year. The 3 month contract can easily turn into 6 months before you get hired.

Interview Question – I was asked about solving factorials. I had no idea how to solve the question, but was given the opportunity to email the answer later.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HR will try to get you to accept a very low base salary. They will attempt to justify this by suggesting they pay at least a 35% bonus. In my case it was only 18%. Well below expecations. I will never put myself in such a risky situation again. My advice is to only accept a base salary without regard to the bonus. You could be very unhappy in January.

Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at GMO in September 2011.

Interview Details – Manager reads from of a sheet of about 50 technical questions. Unfortunately, the manager conducting the interviews are not technical, so they have no way of assessing if your answers are correct. They need a rudimentary understanding of the technology they are testing candidates on.

Interview Question – What is the difference between a process and a thread.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Bait and switch game. They were luring candidates in with the premise of a Microsoft development position in the .NET technology while the position was legacy Visual Basic 6 development.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for GMO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GMO Software Developer interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by GMO employees and interview candidates.