GNC

Relevance Date Difficulty

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Part Time Sales Associate
Vega Alta, PR

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at GNC in February 2013.

Interview Details – They ask you about your customer service opinion. About how you manage a store by yourself. How would be if you had the opportunity to be the manager. What would be your main goal. How do you see yourself in the future in the company.

Negotiation Details – Part time 15 hours minimum pay rate with comissions.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at GNC in June 2012.

Interview Details – It was an informal interview, I walked in when the store wasn't busy and the manager just started interviewing me after I asked if they were hiring.

Questions:
What kind of experience have you had dealing with customers or public?

What kinds of responsibilities did you have at prior jobs?

Can you handle frustrated customers in a proper manner?

What would you do if a customer came in angry about a product?

Interview Question – Honestly there weren't any real tough questions, one that I wasn't expecting was:
Can you work until one year after you start?

Basically he/she was getting a feel for the type of person I was, my prior experience and evaluating communication skills
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they pay minimum wage because they offer commission.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GNC.

Interview Details – They ask you the usual questions, most managers aren't professional enough or educated enough to actually ask insightful or unique questions....just study basic ones and you'll be fine.

Interview Question – There were none.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating, they pay you minimum wage, and you work part time, end of story.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Part Time Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at GNC.

Interview Details – Pretty standard interview. The manager asked me to tell him about myself and the relevance of my past employment history to the desired position. The manager was very nice and upfront about the position. As a sales associate I would get paid min. wage plus commission and the better your sales numbers are, the more hours you get.

Sales Associate, Retail Part Time Interview

Cocoa, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at GNC in August 2013.

Interview Details – I had originally applied online for a position in Titusville, Florida but never received a consideration for an interview. Down on my luck because I've been unable to find a job for close to a year at that time, I went to my local mall and handed out resumes. I met the district manager at GNC and she told me to bring my application which I did the next day. She told me to come back that Monday in early August to talk about setting up an interview. She gave me an interview and I did the very best I could, we sat in the middle of the mall and she conducted the interview there. I had showed up on time, dressed appropriately, and answered all her questions to the best of my ability given that the only experience I had was with my Father.

I took care of my Father for 6 years who had Pulmonary Fibrosis, which is basically a slow suffocation as your lungs form scar tissue, hampering the lungs ability to transfer oxygen and carbon dioxide into and out of your blood. Taking care of him was a 24/7/ 365 deal which left little time for collage or work. So from 2006 till 2012 I took care of him until the day he passed away. I've made that very obvious in my resume and applications that I have no experience and that I want to learn, to work and move on from my loss from which I still haven't recovered from.

The questions were standard customer service questions, and she saw that I was eager to work and supposedly understood what I was going through, and while she was concerned because of my lack of experience, she ended up telling me the GNC inside the mall wasn't an environment she thought I would work well in but then told me that another store in another town could be a better fit.

The interview at the other store was very informal and the manager there just basically asked if I had good availability which I told him yes, and If I was fine with the hours and times, to which I told him I was. He told me by the following week he would have his decision and would call. I did not hear from him the following week so I went back to inquire about the status of the job. I met the assistant manager who I later found out liked me, and the store manager liked me as well and had picked me for the job.

For the next two month's though I received no phone calls, other than one to which the store manager told me thanks for stopping by and that he hadn't gotten in touch with the district manager. After that every time I went to the local store, the manager there told me that he had picked me and that the person to give the final OK was the district manager, to which she was either busy, training somebody else, or until this past couple of weeks finally told the store manager that she didn't know who to pick.

While I know quite a bit about vitamins, she want's somebody who knows sports products, which the store manger kept telling her you can train him to know the products.

Basically as far as I can tell, she doesn't want to give me the job. I've seen multiple people here on glassdoor say how they generally thought GNC was a good first job, and I've primarily been looking for retail jobs that do not require experience, so I can learn and get into the work force.

However, no matter where I go I always get ignored because I'm 26 and have no job experience and despite that I've explained why millions of times, it just seems to fall on deaf ears. GNC seems to be no exception, the problem primarily being with the district manager, again both the manager and the assistant manager of the local store I was sent to wanted to hire me, and the choice as far as I understood was between me or another person who has experience with sports products but has a DUI. Throughout the entire process I was never kept up to date after I've committed time and gas that I could have saved for other things all to be told basically "we won't hire you because you have no experience and we don't want to train you." I've been going there after a certain amount of weeks only to be given a false hope. I've waited two months, hopeful that the job was mine only to be pushed to the side.

Basically the question I keep asking is how am I suppose to gain experience if nobody will give me a chance and I never get an answer. I keep telling every manger I meet that all I'm looking for is a chance to prove myself, just let me gain some experience so I can get moving at full speed, go to collage and make something out of my life after enduring six hopeless years of watching somebody slowly suffocate to death with no medically approved way to treat or cure. Sadly nobody cares.

Interview Question – The questions they ask are very standard customer service questions. She didn't ask me anything odd or anything unexpected.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at GNC.

Interview Details – multiple intervews with manger all across the region and you ave to drive to obsuce locations far away from where you apply

Interview Question – are you willing to do what you are told if you don't agree with it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – nothing is negotiable

Store Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GNC.

Interview Details – Basic questions, behavioral

Interview Question – Name a time of leadership   Answer Question

GNC Store Manager Interview

GNC Store Manager
Clovis, NM

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GNC in September 2013.

Interview Details – Brief initial phone interview, 1:1 interview, store looked clean, employees were professional and welcoming, district mgr. was attentive and professional. The interview questions were aligned with the job description along with scenario based questions.

Interview Question – All questions were on par with job expectations.   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Bronx, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at GNC in February 2012.

Interview Details – When it comes to becoming assistant manager, it just went by how your numbers were and who you knew in the company if your numbers weren't good.

Interview Question – Why do you want to move up in a company like this. The reason you want to say if because you believe in helping people, and your truly dedicated in the field.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I would say go for it, just make sure your doing it for the right reasons. It a good paying job if you push yourself.

Honolulu, HI

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at GNC.

Interview Details – Initial call to set up interview. No phone interview involved.
First interview at store with store manager.
Basis questions included background, experiences, strength, weakness, and sales role playing.
Second interview manager of area with similar questions.

Interview Question – What size of clothes do you wear?
What size of condom do you wear?
  View Answer