GSEC Interview Questions

Updated Mar 15, 2015

3.2

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at GSEC (Jersey City, NJ).

Interview

After the HR there was a phone interview with a VP, followed by three rounds of interviews. There were two people interviewing in each round, usually all on the same super day.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at GSEC (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2014.

Interview

Back to back 30 minute interviews with vp level interviewers. Be ready to discuss your resume, why you'd be a good fit for the firm, why the firm would be a good fit for you, and the skills you process to make an impact. Where a suit, and be ready to ask questions afterwards

Interview Questions

• If you have an investment that gains 10% then loses 10% is you return positive! negative! or nothing?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst At GSEC Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at GSEC (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied online for an operations analyst position with Goldman Sachs in SLC. I had a general interview/conversation with HR. This was quite unique because I was not expecting to hear back but receive an unexpected call from the GS HR rep. He asked me basic questions about salary range, work experience, why I am leaving my job etc. About 2 weeks later I was scheduled for 2 hours worth of phone interview consisting of 4 interviews, 30 minutes per interview with 4 different individuals. After this interview I was informed that even though I had done well GS Ops had decided to go with another candidate but due to my performance they wanted to consider me for a similar position with another operations division called GSEC.

About 2 weeks later I went to the GS Washington DC office to have a video conferencing interview. Again this was 2 hours with 4 different individuals, 30 mins each. After going through this I was called about 3 weeks later for a final interview with senior level management. This was an hour worth of interviews 30 mins each with the Vice President of GSEC and another senior level executive. Similar to all other interview shortly after this interview on the same day I received a call from the HR rep telling me I had performed well and GS wanted to move forward in the process.

About a week later I had a 30 minute phone conversation with another HR rep about my salary history and work background. About 3 weeks after this conversation I received my offer. Due to the fact I had never been to SLC or met the team I would be working with I requested that GS fly me to SLC to meet the team and see the office before I gave a response as to whether or not I would accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Rank these three in order of importance,- risk management, client service, efficency   Answer Question
    • Tell me a team you dealt with conflict in a team you were a part of?   Answer Question
    • Generally alot of questions about resume, team work and why GS, why operations, are you comfortable with living in SLC   Answer Question

I decided Operations was not for me

Operations Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GSEC (Jersey City, NJ) in February 2011.

Interview

Applied through school website and was invited to interview on campus. People were very friendly and were mostly alumni from my university. I came in for one 1:1 interview with an MD and a 2:1 interview with two VPs. Questions were all fit and behavioral like "tell me a time you acted as a leader.....or tell me a time something went wrong and how did you address it....etc" Other questions to know are "why goldman sachs?"

Interview Questions

• Tell me something about yourself that's not on the resume   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't really negotiate because I was happy with getting anything at that point.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GSEC (Jersey City, NJ) in September 2010.

Interview

Phone screen was easy, some basic java questions followed by relatively easy SQL question. The last question was the kind of ridiculous "gotcha" type of question which some interviewers like to ask , akin to the problem they had at one point and it took them a week to figure it out, but they feel compelled to ask you the same question at the phone screen. Got invited to the face to face interview. One of the interviewers was a slimeball I did not answer one question correctly (easy one) , simply because I dont remember all detail of API , the guy kept smiling without correcting me , basically behaving as if I answered it great. Other interviewers were very sceptical about my resume , it felt like I was fake in their eyes, not sure why. My overall impression is that this company does not have morals. By talking to a girl , I realized that there is a real fear of layoffs present in the building, despite current hiring. I wish good luck to a guy who will get this job, instead of me, as I dont think I could work there, even if I got an offer.

Interview Questions

• There were no really difficult questions , lots of questions about joins , how to do left joins etc.   Answer Question

Global Investment Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at GSEC (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in November 2014.

Interview

typical phone interview, nothing technical.questions including walk me through your CV, why investing bank, why transferring from PE to IB, how do you handle stress and pressure, any particular stocks and industries you are covering, the 3 most common valuation methods, etc.

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at GSEC.

Interview

goog, friendly

Security Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GSEC (London, England (UK)) in May 2012.

Interview

Lot of people were coming for the first day, for the interview. Sight test, Smell test, personality test, background check. Full of process is long, after interview they check everything, background, work history, references.

Interview Questions

• It was little bit tired as there was lot of people, and I spent there few hours, by the time, my interview in pair started.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GSEC in November 2009.

Interview

applied the job through campus career centre. 1st round was a 30-mins phone interview. Questions asked: Why GS? Why Operations? Why choose GS over other competitors? strength and weakness?come up with examples to demonstrate your leadership skills and abilities to work in a team setting. what other jobs have u appied

Finance Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at GSEC in January 2009.

Interview

Applied online, got call for phone interview consisted of probability questions - mostly from crack

Interview Questions

• Pirates problem - 7 pirates with a treasure how to distribute it - see online for text   Answer Question