GTECH Holdings

Relevance Date Difficulty

Writer Interview

Writer
Providence, RI

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at GTECH Holdings in February 2009.

Interview Details – Ten days after I applied, I got a phone call to set up an interview. The interview was about a week later. It then took them SEVEN WEEKS to get around to telling me I didn't get the job.

I was extremely turned off by the fact that the company does not provide parking for its employees at the Providence HQ site, nor defray the cost of parking at the mall across the street. They don't offer any parking assistance to visitors, at least not interviewees, either. And apparently they have no employee cafeteria - if they don't bring their lunch, I guess they go to the mall for that too. This disregard for employees' needs was an extremely poor first impression of GTECH's management.

The first person I met with was an HR person, who immediately wanted to know my salary requirements even though I had no information yet about the cost/coverage of benefits, vacation time, etc. or even a good idea of the scope of the job and the skills required. (The advertised job description was somewhat vague.) They really wanted to know about my salary at my last job, which was ridiculous because it was a different kind of position. (Naturally, they did not want to tell me their salary range.) This premature and one-sided salary "discussion" was an extremely poor first impression of GTECH's HR department.

After meeting with HR, I was taken to interview with my would-be supervisor and another writer. Their main concern seemed to be in letting me know there would be lots of overtime. I explained multiple times that "lots of overtime" has been typical throughout my career, but they wouldn't let it drop. They weren't particularly forthcoming about the details of the job otherwise, and I felt as though I was interrogating them just by asking about things that really should have been brought up by them.

Next there was a writing/editing test, which I thought was mostly easy, but somewhat tricky in that it was clearly also a test of my ability to evaluate and manipulate specific types of information. The writing group presumably has its own rules, procedures, and editorial standards that they did not share with me; the fact that this was included in the test led me to believe that they don't want to be bothered with training new employees.

I had approached the interview with enthusiasm, but by the time we were done, I was glad to go home. During the time I was there, about three hours, no one offered me anything to drink; not coffee or even a cup of tap water. The atmosphere was generally unfriendly. No one was blatantly rude, but I never saw one person smile at anyone. It was quiet, which I usually like, but it felt tense, too.

Like I said, they didn't notify me that the position was closed until seven weeks later. That was a relief. Those had been seven weeks of asking myself if I was desperate enough to work there if I got an offer. Fortunately, they made that decision for me.

Interview Questions

• Are you okay with working a lot of overtime? Seriously, we do lots of overtime here, is that okay? And how about working long hours and overtime, can you handle that? Because there's a lot of overtime. (There may have been other questions, but they weren't as emphatic or memorable.)   View Answer
  • We really want to make sure you understand that there is a lot of overtime. Are you okay with working overtime?   View Answer

Technical Intern Interview

Technical Intern
West Greenwich, RI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GTECH Holdings in May 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was phone interview that lasted an hour long.
The interview was taken by Project Manager and Principal Software Engineer both of them 20+ years of experience.
It was neither difficult nor easy interview but consisted of projects and things mostly on the resume.
Also there were some basic programming questions , algorithms and data structures related questions but all in all it was a good interview

Interview Question – What is the difference between a programmer and a coder   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The salary is fixed and they let you know before they schedule the interview so its not negotiable at all.

Worked for GTECH Holdings? Contribute to the Community!