GTECH Holdings

GTECH Holdings Interview Questions in Providence, RI

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Proposal Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at GTECH Holdings in October 2012.

I had two initial interviews with HR/Recruiting (30 minutes a piece). Then I had an interview with the hiring manager (45-60 minutes). They scheduled a 4th (Skype) interview with the HR Manager, Division Director and Hiring Manager again (expected to take 1.5 - 2 hrs. I informed the GTECH HR intern (my only solid point of contact) that I had an offer on the table. I inquired if she could nail down the timeline for a decision on the proposal manager position. I indicated that I did not want to proceed and waste anyone's time with the Skype interview - if the timeline for hire wasn't soon/imminent (due to my need to respond on the offer in hand). She did not give me the information that I requested - she only emailed back (2x) to tell me that everyone at GTECH still wanted to conduct the Skype interview (despite my current offer). I verified the interview 2X. On the day of the interview I waited on Skype for 10 minutes. Then I began trying to contact each of the 3 persons that I was supposed to be interviewing with that morning. Not a single contact that I had answered their phone for over an hour. When I finally got in contact with the HR Manager, I let her know how disappointed and truly unprofessional GTECH had been and that I no longer had any interest in the position. She indicated that they were sorry for the "mix up" but that she could reschedule. I told her that I was taking another position and wouldn't reconsider.

Interview Questions
    • How do you lead/inspire people to do a good job?   View Answer

Benefits Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GTECH Holdings in June 2011.

I was contacted by HR and came in for an interview. I was first asked basic questions about my resume by the HR rep, then met with the hiring manager, and finally two of the employees in the group.

Interview Questions
    • Would you describe yourself as an introvert or an extrovert and how would that effect how you work on a team?   Answer Question

Technical Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Greenwich, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Greenwich, RI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at GTECH Holdings in May 2010.

The interview was phone interview that lasted an hour long.
    The interview was taken by Project Manager and Principal Software Engineer both of them 20+ years of experience.
    It was neither difficult nor easy interview but consisted of projects and things mostly on the resume.
    Also there were some basic programming questions , algorithms and data structures related questions but all in all it was a good interview

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between a programmer and a coder   View Answer
    The salary is fixed and they let you know before they schedule the interview so its not negotiable at all.

Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at GTECH Holdings in February 2009.

Ten days after I applied, I got a phone call to set up an interview. The interview was about a week later. It then took them SEVEN WEEKS to get around to telling me I didn't get the job.

I was extremely turned off by the fact that the company does not provide parking for its employees at the Providence HQ site, nor defray the cost of parking at the mall across the street. They don't offer any parking assistance to visitors, at least not interviewees, either. And apparently they have no employee cafeteria - if they don't bring their lunch, I guess they go to the mall for that too. This disregard for employees' needs was an extremely poor first impression of GTECH's management.

The first person I met with was an HR person, who immediately wanted to know my salary requirements even though I had no information yet about the cost/coverage of benefits, vacation time, etc. or even a good idea of the scope of the job and the skills required. (The advertised job description was somewhat vague.) They really wanted to know about my salary at my last job, which was ridiculous because it was a different kind of position. (Naturally, they did not want to tell me their salary range.) This premature and one-sided salary "discussion" was an extremely poor first impression of GTECH's HR department.

After meeting with HR, I was taken to interview with my would-be supervisor and another writer. Their main concern seemed to be in letting me know there would be lots of overtime. I explained multiple times that "lots of overtime" has been typical throughout my career, but they wouldn't let it drop. They weren't particularly forthcoming about the details of the job otherwise, and I felt as though I was interrogating them just by asking about things that really should have been brought up by them.

Next there was a writing/editing test, which I thought was mostly easy, but somewhat tricky in that it was clearly also a test of my ability to evaluate and manipulate specific types of information. The writing group presumably has its own rules, procedures, and editorial standards that they did not share with me; the fact that this was included in the test led me to believe that they don't want to be bothered with training new employees.

I had approached the interview with enthusiasm, but by the time we were done, I was glad to go home. During the time I was there, about three hours, no one offered me anything to drink; not coffee or even a cup of tap water. The atmosphere was generally unfriendly. No one was blatantly rude, but I never saw one person smile at anyone. It was quiet, which I usually like, but it felt tense, too.

Like I said, they didn't notify me that the position was closed until seven weeks later. That was a relief. Those had been seven weeks of asking myself if I was desperate enough to work there if I got an offer. Fortunately, they made that decision for me.

Interview Questions
    • Are you okay with working a lot of overtime? Seriously, we do lots of overtime here, is that okay? And how about working long hours and overtime, can you handle that? Because there's a lot of overtime. (There may have been other questions, but they weren't as emphatic or memorable.)   View Answer
    • We really want to make sure you understand that there is a lot of overtime. Are you okay with working overtime?   View Answer