Gaba Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015
Updated Mar 22, 2015

2.6

English Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gaba Corporation.

I applied online initially and then was invited to a seminar. There were 5 people including me, and after the seminar, the speaker gave a small written test, and then interviewed each person. Honestly the interview was a joke. They literally hire anyone. They hired all 5 people a job there including me, and made it look like they had to pull some strings to get me in.

Interview Questions
    • How would you teach a business client as opposed to a daily conversation client?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. It's a take it or leave it.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Gaba Corporation.

Initial communication was a bit slow as I didn't hear back any response for over a week. After hearing, however, communication was professional. The interview was conducted over the phone.

ALT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gaba Corporation in July 2014.

1 hour skype interview. Needed a video camera. Asked questions about resume and why I wanted to have the job. Asked questions about Japan and why i wanted to go. Gave a spelling and grammar test about 5 questions each. You could easily go on google to find the correct spellings if you forgot it. Japanese test, with questions like what are your hobbies, how are you, what is the weather like. They told me to pretend that I'm teaching a class 3 new emotion words. I used happy sad and angry.

Interview Questions

Too many bad reviews of the company and I didn't think I did a good job but they still hired me. Made me feel that they would hire anyone.

Gaba Corporation Response

Oct 6, 2014Instructor Recruiter

Hello, I'm glad you were offered an ALT position but I'm afraid that your review was not for a position at Gaba - as a private language school we do not have ALT positions (i.e. working in a ... More

English Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Gaba Corporation in May 2013.

The interview process was very transparent. The initial step was simply to fill out an online form and submit a CV/Resume and cover letter. Then I was sent a general questionnaire to ensure I understood the nature of the position as well as location preferences, etc.
    The next step involved a simple skype interview where I was asked why I wanted to work for Gaba, why I wanted to work as an English instructor and why I wanted to work in Japan, etc.
    Following that, I had a more in-depth paperwork assignment which asked me to write a short story, describe how I would handle certain teaching situations, and what steps I would need to take to transition to the job.
    The last step was a final skype interview where I was asked to role-play an actual teaching situation.
    I was impressed with the interviewers. They were very professional and spoke clearly. They were careful to make sure I understood the nature of the job, pay, benefits (or lack thereof).

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part was trying to role-play a teaching situation over skype with no video.   Answer Question

English Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Umeda, Osaka (Japan)
    Anonymous Employee in Umeda, Osaka (Japan)

I applied online – interviewed at Gaba Corporation in October 2014.

First interview went well. It was very positive and I felt like GABA would support me in entering a new career. Interviewer told me that what I had said to him exactly summed up what hey were all about and he would recommend me for a second interview. The second interview was completely different. I didn,t know before the interview but I had to perform a lesson from the GABA manual,( that I had never seen before the interview) to one of the Japanase staff. He told me She was a level 2 english speaker.The lesson itself had its good points and bad points, I made the mistake of not picking up on a error in grammar the student made if I hadn,t made this mistake I could have capitalized on her error and would have actually taught her something! Next the interviewer played the role of Student and he played the part of a Student with very little English, for example, when I asked him can you read this sentence he said "e sentence? e " I did the best I could to get out of the situation ,but really ! He gets me to teach from their level 2 book to a Student who doesn,t know the word sentence. Well I left with mixed feelings. I knew the lesson didn,t go well and I take full responsibility for that but I wonder what the three days unpaid training is about. I had expected that the training provided would have giving me the skills to conduct a lesson. I had no response form GABA for 2 weeks, so I had figured out that I wasn,t successful. Then I got an email thanking me for my patience and that I wasn,t successful. To be honest, glad to see the back of them.

Interview Questions
    • I was a little shocked when I was told that I could greet clients of other staff and try to woo them as clients for myself. I replied"'isn,t that stealing" but was assured that it was fine.   View Answer

English Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shinjuku (Japan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shinjuku (Japan)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gaba Corporation in October 2014.

It was LONG. I had to go to 2 interviews. During the first one there was a written test and during the second one I had to teach an actual Gaba lesson. After that I was asked to go again to sign the contract. Finally I had to go other 3 times for the initial certification.

Interview Questions
    • What days/time I was going to teach
      How many lessons I wanted to teach per month

English Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gaba Corporation in September 2014.

To give an overview, I am also based in Japan.

I applied through Gaijinpot and was contacted about 1-2 days after I submitted my resume. We scheduled a time when I would come for a company orientation as well as the first interview for the job. After you are given a company orientation you are given a task where you need to think of a lesson plan for a 40-minute lesson, explain certain idioms, and give examples how to use these idioms.

When you are done you will meet with one of the interviewers and they will ask you questions like why you want to work for their company, why do you want to stay in Japan and how long do you plan to stay. They also check your availabilities on when you can teach, so they always ask about your visa situation (If you're a student, working holiday, etc.)

They also ask you to bring all your documents like your passport, resident card and bank account. Once that's over you will be scheduled for a second interview.

The second interview will be a short teaching demo where you need to use the lesson plan you wrote from the last interview which will last 5 minutes. The next one will be 10 minutes and they will give you time to prepare based on their own lesson plan. The interviewer will be the one who will pretend to be a client.

Once that's over they will call you within a week regarding their decision.

Note that every time they call you they send an email confirming the appointment, which I think is very helpful.

Interview Questions
    • None. I had expected they would ask you English grammar questions but they didn't for my case.   Answer Question

English Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shinjuku (Japan)
    Anonymous Employee in Shinjuku (Japan)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gaba Corporation in September 2014.

I submitted online friday, got a call on the following tuesday. They asked basic questions pertaining to my visa status and country of origin, and then told me i'd have to come for an interview the next day, because their training starts next week. So the next day i get to the interview and am told to fill out paper work( agreement stuff, visa stuff, availability stuff) and then they showed a slide show about the company and what to expect. then your told to fill out a pre interview packet, and then called for 1on1 interviews

Interview Questions
    • pre interview packet had english questions: difference between boring and bored, explain the difference between acquisition and merger
      interview was basic interview questions, what would be the biggest challenge for you working for gaba...

Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gaba Corporation.

It was a very basic interview. They ask about your work experience, your motivation and your skills.
    You talk to one of the instructors and they explain you the general process. They give you a chance to look at the work material and ask if you are familiar and comfortable with the material.

Interview Questions
    • I might be the youngest employee so they asked me why should they hire someone young?   Answer Question

Found a better job

English Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)
    Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gaba Corporation in August 2014.

I applied online through GaijinPot and was sent an e-mail to call them for a pre-interview. After the call I was asked to come in for a seminar/interview. There were other people there and it was basically to give us general information on the company. We were also given a written task to do and then a one-on-one interview.

I then received an e-mail about a week after saying that I had a second interview. They went through the written task at this interview, telling you what was good and bad about it. You also had to demo teach a 10 minute lesson. They e-mailed me about a week after saying that I didn't get a position with them.

Interview Questions
    • Teach the difference between bored and boring to a low level student. Is boring a gerund? Why/why not?
      Teach the difference between a merger and an acquisition to an intermediate level student.
      Give an example of an idiom and the meaning for each: travel, business.
      What do you intend to do if you do not get this position?