Galileo Learning

Updated Sep 23, 2014
Updated Sep 23, 2014

2.6

Team Leader Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Galileo Learning.

After I had sent in my completed application to their website that had a very detailed list of duties and responsibilities along with videos that support the role depicted in the fullest, I received a call the same day asking if I was available for a phone interview.

They asked me questions regarding my ability to handle situations relating to childcare, customer service and how I would handle scenarios in which the situation was complex and not dealt with easily. After that she had concluded that she would like to offer me the opportunity to attend the group interview session where we would be able to personally see if I were the right fit for the camp atmosphere.

I had arrived at the main office in the Oakland warehouse district and walked into a beautifully fun and creative modernly adorned factory that was now their headquarters. The office was friendly and the space was very inviting. Upon waiting for a couple of minutes since i had gotten there early, other people who were there for the interview had also done what I had done, sat quietly. Someone then came over and broke the ice by just talking to us in general even though that person had nothing to do with the interview session, they appeared to just work at the headquarters.

Afterwards, I had then been welcomed into the next room along with the other prospective employees to partake in fun role plays and improv skits with the interviews and other staff directors. It became a question and answer section and then a show and tell. We were asked to come handy with a couple of easy no equipment needed games and/or lessons. After each of us (we were broken into groups of 4) had properly introduced ourselves( we had done so in a child oriented name game prior to the activity at hand) and demonstrated our game/lesson, we all did a final closing skit that introduced us to the camp atmosphere.

Within the next few days I had been asked to meet with my camp director who asked me questions regarding the position at camp and why I would like to work there along with questions about my personal experience and personal endeavors. She was very polite and greeted me with a sense of haste as she was clearly in a normal workday on site.

After word I had been hired and etc. The only thing I had miss was teh training session that takes place for 2 days, but I had gotten that greta experience during this second year.

It appears as if negotiations are not part of the position, you get what they offer.

Summer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Galileo Learning in March 2014.

Applied online and then had a phone interview. The questions on the phone interview were about myself and why I thought I would be a good fit. The person conducting the interview also informed me of the every day workings of the job I was interested in. I didn't get past the phone interview but I was informed that a group interview would be the next step.

Interview Questions
    • What does innovation mean to you? How would you engage campers from activity to activity?   Answer Question

Staff Selection Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Galileo Learning in February 2014.

I submitted an online application through their jobs page. The next day I got an email response informing me they'd like to do a phone interview. At the end of the phone interview I was informed I was being moved into the next stage of the process and I would meet with the department head and Director of Operations. At the end of that interview I was told I was finalist and that they'd like me to come back for a final in-person interview with them as well as some 1:1 time with the CEO. At every stage of the process I felt honored and kept in the loop. Now that I work there I know it's very intentional! No wonder listed as a best place to work.... :-)

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any in particular that were difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

The process wasn't bad at all, an initial phone interview asked basic behavioral questions and then the in person group interview wasn't stressful at all. Just show enthusiasm and an ability to put yourself out there and you'll get the job.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions, there were a lot of what ifs and how would you respond to a certain scenario.   Answer Question

Science Curriculum Developer Interview

I submitted my resume and cover letter online. Someone contacted me by phone within several days and we set up a phone interview. Prior to the phone interview I had to fill out an online application where I had to come up with differentiated camp activities and a theme. The phone interview was about 30 minutes and included the basic information such as why I was interested in the job, etc. But it also included a role playing scenario and expansion of ideas I had written about in the online application. At the end of the phone call she explained the rest of the process. If I was selected to move on, they would send me curriculum material that I would have to work on and then if that went well I would move onto the next stage which was one-on-one interviews. I did not make it past the phone interview.

Science Curriculum Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Galileo Learning in June 2013.

I found the job and applied via LinkedIn. I was contacted by a recruiter within a few days and set up a half-hour phone interview. The woman who called was nice but serious, which made it nerve-wracking. She was very clear about her questions and good about asking follow-up questions to my answers.

Interview Questions
    • There are three parts to this position:
      1. Brainstorming
      2. Building
      3. Writing a curriculum (the longest and most important part).

Which would you be best at and where could you use improvement?

View Answer

Assistant Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Galileo Learning in April 2013.

The entire interview process was incredibly smooth and professional. After submitting an application online I received an email confirmation instructing me to sign up for a phone interview slot on an online scheduling assistant. The phone interviewer was prompt and very pleasant at the phone. I was then selected for an in-person one-on-one interview and a group interview. I was really impressed that for my references I could send just send my people a link that they could leave input, instead of letting them know to expect a random phone call! The in-person interview was SO MUCH FUN!! We were instructed to come prepared with a 30-sec introduction and a 2-3 minute lesson plan to share. They walked us through a typical day at camp and asked us situational questions and inserted our lesson plans as applicable. By the end of the interview I felt like I was friends with everyone in the room! Best interview experience I have ever had.

Interview Questions
    • What is one of your favorite behavior management tools?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Pretty good experience. People were very nice and outgoing and it was an actually fun process. I went through a phone interview and then a group interview where I got to meet a lot of fun and interesting people and got to know the camp well. Overall it was a positive experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Galileo Learning in April 2011.

I actually didn't go through the normal hiring process; rather, I was a last-minute selection and was interviewed the night before the regional employee training camp. After applying online, I was contacted by a couple of Camp Directors from different sites. They proceeded to conduct their own phone interview and told me I would hear back from them shortly. The Camp Directors seemed very outgoing (and were even more so once I met them later on at training). After getting a couple of rejections, I figured that I wouldn't get an offer. However, on the final day of hiring, I got a call from an HR lady and offered me a Guest Star position (basically, a substitute Team Leader). Most applicants, however, are subjected to group interviews with multiple Camp Directors or Home Office staff.

When I went through the interview process the following summer, I simply had a 30 minute conversation with a Camp Director I worked with last year and was offered a permanent position with a 10% raise.

Interview Questions
    • If you have two children in class who are not paying attention to the instructor, how would you handle it? What if after your intervention, they continue to disrupt class?   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Galileo Learning in April 2010.

Applied online and then had a phone interview. Phone interview went well -- was asked various questions about myself and how well I work with children. Then had a group interview where they subtly assessed us all based on our communication and active involvement in the various activities they had set up. Finally had a 1:1 interview the same day and was hired.