Galileo Learning

Galileo Learning Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Galileo Learning (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

After submitting a written application, I was asked to prepare a brief personal statement (~30 seconds) and short sample lesson (~3 minutes). A group interview was held, maybe 30 other interviewees in attendance, we all gave our introductions and were then split up into small groups. In these small groups each interviewee gave their brief lesson while the others in the group pretended to be students. Galileo staff made a strong effort to make the interview fun and free of unnecessary stress by providing optional costume items and stressing the fact that we weren't competing against each other for jobs.

Interview Questions

• In the written interview I was asked to describe an appropriate activity for campers who are tired and agitated at the end of the day.   1 Answer

Summer Camp Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Galileo Learning (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

It was exactly like how they described the hiring process on their website. I suggest reading everything on their website! For me: 1. Submitted the application online 2. Phone Interview OR Video (I submitted a video) 3. Group Interview & One-on-One interview 4. Phone Call with Camp Director The great thing about Galileo is that they have a quick turnaround time, meaning between stages, it was only maybe 2-3 business days. So the entire process was relatively quick (even quicker for me, since I applied late in the summer and camp was starting soon). For the in-person interviews, make sure you are lively, attentive, and SMILE. They take notes on everything and they essentially see if you're a fun, easy-going person and a team player. When you first come into the room, introduce yourself to the nearest fellow applicants and make conversation! Also, for the teaching sample, most people did songs or games/ icebreakers. Not many did lessons. Just a heads up! Make sure to also dress nicely (business-casual, they told me). They also ask questions to the group and make sure you answer, and it'd be best if you answer within the first few people. Otherwise, your response will be taken by the other applicants! After the interviews, I got an email from a camp director asking me to schedule a 15-minute phone conversation with him. During the phone call, he officially offered me the position and we talked details about the job (Summer interns get paid $9 an hour, we talked availability, things I'd have to do, etc). So I'd venture to say that if you get a call with a camp director, you probably got the job. Super excited to start my job! Interview questions were very basic and questions you would expect. Ie: Why do you want to work here? What would you do if a child was being difficult? (Ex: a child's first time away from the parents and he/she is very distraught). Pretend you're a staff member and I'm a parent and I'm a little impatient. Things like that! This was definitely one of the most fun interview I've ever had!

Interview Questions

Galileo Learning Response

Jun 8, 2015 – Outreach Manager

Glad to hear you enjoyed your interview experience and that you're excited to join our team. The candidate experience is very important to us. We do everything possible to keep applicants (and ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Galileo Learning (San Jose, CA).

Interview

It was a group interview and they asked to bring a game to share with the team. Biggest hints: be open, positive, supportive and enthusiastic as other people share. Act as if you are the team leaders already and your campers are sharing. Be honest, open and focused on your growth too because Galileo wants to grow your skill set while you grow the campers'

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you've dealt with a touch situation (with a child/leadership) is best?   1 Answer

Negotiation

not able to negotiate

Jun 8, 2015 – Outreach Manager

Thanks for sharing your Galileo interview experience. We hope you have a successful professional development experience at camp this summer. Best wishes, The Galileo Team

Camp Lead Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Galileo Learning (Oakland, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Takes about two to two and a half hours in lovely downtown Oakland at night. No refreshments. Staff no help at all concerning good place to eat. Like I want to be cruising around there after the commuters have left. Cattle call. The whole group interview starts with putting on tired costumes (New Years Eves hats, cheap Hawaiian leis). Pumped up at beginning with announcement of camps still desperately needing staff. Then a one on one interview. Then a small group interview at which applicants perform lessons they have prepared as well as creating a lesson together. Good way to beef up the camp's repertoire. Then more whole group (yawn). The evening ends with an insult: "Most of you won't get a job, but please tell your friends about us." Now is that a nice way to bid adieu to their candidates as they venture back to the highway? Then the rejection letter with the usual admiration of applicant's education and teaching experience, with ANOTHER insult - a PS suggesting the applicant contact a babysitting website. Then I realized - I was too old for this gig! SO if you are over 40 I would leave this alone. I am over 50 and I was the oldest applicant at the interview, and the rest in their 20's and 30's, a few maybe in their early 40's. The best I can say about my evening at Camp Galileo corporate offices is that I did pick up a few ideas for my day job. I also had the feeling that the 1 on 1 and small group was being recorded/video - as they occupy a good chunk of a building and they are obviously interviewing the masses.

Interview Questions

• They were all pretty basic, straight forward questions about teaching.   Answer Question

Jun 9, 2015 – Outreach Manager

Thank you for your feedback, though we’re very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your interview experience. Candidate care is a top-priority for us, which is why we welcome any and all questions ... More

Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Galileo Learning.

Interview

After I had sent in my completed application to their website that had a very detailed list of duties and responsibilities along with videos that support the role depicted in the fullest, I received a call the same day asking if I was available for a phone interview. They asked me questions regarding my ability to handle situations relating to childcare, customer service and how I would handle scenarios in which the situation was complex and not dealt with easily. After that she had concluded that she would like to offer me the opportunity to attend the group interview session where we would be able to personally see if I were the right fit for the camp atmosphere. I had arrived at the main office in the Oakland warehouse district and walked into a beautifully fun and creative modernly adorned factory that was now their headquarters. The office was friendly and the space was very inviting. Upon waiting for a couple of minutes since i had gotten there early, other people who were there for the interview had also done what I had done, sat quietly. Someone then came over and broke the ice by just talking to us in general even though that person had nothing to do with the interview session, they appeared to just work at the headquarters. Afterwards, I had then been welcomed into the next room along with the other prospective employees to partake in fun role plays and improv skits with the interviews and other staff directors. It became a question and answer section and then a show and tell. We were asked to come handy with a couple of easy no equipment needed games and/or lessons. After each of us (we were broken into groups of 4) had properly introduced ourselves( we had done so in a child oriented name game prior to the activity at hand) and demonstrated our game/lesson, we all did a final closing skit that introduced us to the camp atmosphere. Within the next few days I had been asked to meet with my camp director who asked me questions regarding the position at camp and why I would like to work there along with questions about my personal experience and personal endeavors. She was very polite and greeted me with a sense of haste as she was clearly in a normal workday on site. After word I had been hired and etc. The only thing I had miss was teh training session that takes place for 2 days, but I had gotten that greta experience during this second year.

Negotiation

It appears as if negotiations are not part of the position, you get what they offer.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Galileo Learning (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

First had a phone interview which was very straightforward. Then they had a group interview where they had a simulation of a camp environment, and finally following the group interview I had a one on one with one of the camp directors.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Galileo Learning (Oakland, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

After applying online, you may receive an invitation to set up Phone Interview. Once accepted and passed phone screen, move on to group interview at headquarters. You will be asked to prepare some materials. The group interview is very fun. From there you may or may not be offered job by email or phone.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a dispute between two children? Why do you want to work for Galileo? How do you feel about our mission?   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Galileo Learning in March 2014.

Interview

Applied online and then had a phone interview. The questions on the phone interview were about myself and why I thought I would be a good fit. The person conducting the interview also informed me of the every day workings of the job I was interested in. I didn't get past the phone interview but I was informed that a group interview would be the next step.

Interview Questions

• What does innovation mean to you? How would you engage campers from activity to activity?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Galileo Learning (San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

In all applicants (no matter what position) they basically look for someone who responds very cheerfully and smiley. Make sure you do this over the phone and in person, otherwise they'll deem you too serious for camp culture. For Team Leader, they ask situational questions with children. There's also a role play where the interviewer acts like an upset child, and you are the Team Leader trying to help them. Also prepare a group game to teach.

Interview Questions

• All the campers are lined up ready to head into the next rotation, but two of them are messing around and don't want to line up. What do you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Expect the minimum salary they posted online, no matter how much experience you have.

Staff Selection Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Galileo Learning (Oakland, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

I submitted an online application through their jobs page. The next day I got an email response informing me they'd like to do a phone interview. At the end of the phone interview I was informed I was being moved into the next stage of the process and I would meet with the department head and Director of Operations. At the end of that interview I was told I was finalist and that they'd like me to come back for a final in-person interview with them as well as some 1:1 time with the CEO. At every stage of the process I felt honored and kept in the loop. Now that I work there I know it's very intentional! No wonder listed as a best place to work.... :-)

Interview Questions

• I don't remember any in particular that were difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question