Gallup

20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Consultant — Business Development Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gallup in July 2011.

Interview Details – Was a very frustrating and confusing process. First you fill out the internet survey after applying online. Then go through a strict behavioral telephone phone interview. Next, two calls with two recruiters before setting up a call with an actual hiring manager. All the people were very nice, cordial, and completely candid but the process itself was not one that inspired a lot of interest in working for the company.

Gallup is all about organization fit and I think it is was clear during the interview process that the position was not a fit which is completely fine. Secondly, I really think it is hard to take a management consulting firm seriously when a simple Google search of "working at Gallup" yields a host of negative reviews from employees and former employees at the firm.

It may be true that Gallup is a great organization to work for and a lot of disgruntled employees are slandering the company without warrant but when you start to read the same gripes over and over from different sources, it makes you start to think twice. When asked about the internet negative publicity the recruiter said that she felt a lot of former employees were disgruntled, she learned that people were encouraged to slam former employers on job review sites by new employers and Gallup was a victim of that chicanery , and admitted that Gallup may not be doing a good enough job of combating the negative press.

Overall, I would say that it was clear that I was not a fit for Gallup and that is completely fine. I would not discourage anyone from applying to Gallup but I would say, ask a lot of questions.

Irvine, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Gallup in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the position in early June and heard back a few days later. (When you apply initially you have to take a personality test online that determines if you fit in with the culture.) The initial phone interview was set for three weeks after they contacted me.

The phone interview was basically the same as the online personality assessment. They ask a yes or no question and then you have to say a time when you did _____. Basic STAR stuff. These interviews are recorded and it is very difficult to build a report w/ the interviewer. She just has a list and reads off it. I'm just waiting to ear back from them at this point. I'm pretty sure that if I do, there will be a lot more interviews to go.

Consultant - Business Development Interview

New York, NY

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Gallup in January 2011.

Interview Details – Fairly lengthy process. Began with the on-line personality test. Fairly straight forward as you answer questions on your sales drive, client focus and the idea of compensation tied to accomplishments. You than had a long phone interview with what I believe to be one of Gallup's phone interviewer based out of Omaha Nebraska. Time was approximately 45 minutes with a majority being behavioral questions. Again, focusing on sales/business development, client relationships and personality questions regarding communications. There was no dialogue but a strict question, then answer, then next question. They do say that responses are transcribed for analysis by Hiring Manager. I received a reply within two weeks stating that the Hiring Manager wished to speak briefly to review my professional experience. This was a very casual conversation and we immediately decided to have myself to flown out to the Princeton NJ office for a face to face interview with the Hiring Manager plus a teleconference with people out of the D.C. office. The face to face was a disappointment. The first interview with the Hiring Manager was a traditional tell me about yourself evaluation on fit and an opportunity to ask questions. The second interviewer was 30 MINUTES LATE and seemed to apologize in a very casual manner. The questions were very traditional looking to probe personality, fit and communication skills but the interviewer seemed disinterested to be there. The interview lasted only 15 minutes of the scheduled 45 minutes. The last interview was with head of the Eastern Region development. Interviewer asked to expound upon my background which was an opportunity to show fit. Again, the interviewer had two questions and an opportunity to ask questions but appeared that he preferred to be else where as the interview lasted only 20 minutes. There was no dialogue or desire to engage in the interview process. The best description would be disinterested. I believe that the person had made up their minds prior to the meeting and was simply going through formalities. Speculation or educated guess.

Received a call back several days later on decision from the Hiring Manager who was gracious enough to talk about the decision process which I do appreciate.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Gallup in December 2010.

Interview Details – Online assessment - Straight forward. If you want to do a little research on what they're trying to get a feel for, read the books by Marcus Buckingham featuring the Strengthsfinder tests.
Behavioral Phone Interview - The interviewer explains the process, I don't understand why so many people are offended by the "robotic" nature of the conversation. He/she is not allowed to give feedback or clarify, you're supposed to answer the questions as you interpret them. Lists of sample questions can be found online. Find a few and you'll get the idea.
1 on 1 interview - Now you finally get to talk about your skills and experience. You'll get briefed on what is required a few days before over the phone. I'm scheduled for the 1 on 1 in a few days.

Overall very positive experience. Very intelligent group of people just searching for the right type of person. If you fit the bill, you'll get an offer. If not, you won't. So be on your A-game but just be yourself. If Glassdoor let's me update this, I'll add my thoughts about the 1 on 1 interview afterward.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Gallup in October 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online for the position, then I have immediately gotten a link to a personality test. Once I took that and passed it, the following day I got a request to schedule a phone interview. I had the phone interview few days later. I was asked literally 80 questions, by an interviewer who spoke like a robot. The person was only allowed to repeat the question, you couldn't get any clarification whatsoever. Though the interview was behavioral, most of my questions were geared towards sales.. i don't know if that has something to do with the position I applied for but one of the first questions I was asked was: were you a sales consultant? if you say yes, the following question was: describe when. You are always asked to provide an example or situation. It was brutal because you don't have a second to compose your thoughts and you are being drilled with questions in less than 40 minutes. 2 days later, I got an email saying that I was not picked for the next round.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Gallup in July 2010.

Interview Details – Applied on-line through linkedin.com. Received an email notification that based on my application (resume, educational background, a behavioral personal test) Gallup Consulting would like to conduct a phone-interview with me. Received a call shortly after the email to schedule the interview.

I did a lot of research on Gallup Consulting prior to my interview and even had the CEO of an Inc. 100 company assist me in preparing for a behavioral interview. Gallup's principle is that people are predictable and based on prior behavior, an individual's future behavior can be determined.

While I was asked questions regarding predictability in behavior (whether I think people are predictable or not. I replied yes, but it depends as some individuals may change due to an unforeseen event or occurrence. Was then asked to give an example of predictability in individuals). Most questions were sales oriented, and I do not have much of a sales background. Still, because of my leadership skills and preparation for the 45 minute phone interview, I thought it went well.

Much to my dismay, I received an email 3 days later notifying me that I would not be chosen for the position.

Interview Question – How do you close a sale?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Gallup in June 2009.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with Gallup that was about 1 hr long, it was a series of questions that were very structured and asked me to explain every answer. it took about a week and a half to receive an answer but I was moved to the next round.

Interview Question – Are you a highly motivated person? If so give me an example of how why you are more motivated than others?   Answer Question

Consultant-Business Development Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Gallup.

Interview Details – what's a lot of money according to you
do you want salaried or commission-like pay structure
have you ever changed the culture of an organization
are you responsible,example
are you competitive, example

Interview Question – nothing that's not mentioned on this site   Answer Question

Business Development Consultant Interview

Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)

I applied online - interviewed at Gallup in October 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted for a telephone assessment after completing the on-line assessment. Both took about 40 minutes each. I received an email one week later letting me know I did not fit their profile (or something like that). Given the number of postings on this site with the same story, I suspect that most people who submit an application will go through this process. I guess Gallup is in the business of polling large numbers of people and don't think much about it. However, given the time I spent answering the questions and researching the company I consider it somewhat inconsiderate. Job hunters have enough crap to deal with as it is. Did anyone out there get an offer from these people?

Interview Question – I knew quite a few of the questions in advance from my research on Glassdoor. See previous postings.   Answer Question

Business Development Consultant Interview

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Gallup in March 2012.

Interview Details – Received email day after taking the online test to schedule phone interview. Next available was the following week. Interviewer from Omaha called 10 minutes late. Rapid fire. Impersonal. Told I would hear back in 3-5 business days. Denial email 3 days later.

Interview Questions

• Who is more valuable? One high-functioning team member or two medium-functioning team members?   Answer Question
  • What are your views on commission pay?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Gallup

Worked for Gallup? Contribute to the Community!

Gallup – Why Work for Us?

Gallup is a progressive consulting firm that helps leaders at every level of business, government, and society improve their organizational performance by understanding the voice of their constituencies. Gallup has… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gallup Business Development Consultant interview questions and advice. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by Gallup employees and interview candidates.