Gallup Business Development Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gallup (Rockville, MD) in February 2013.

Interview

Personality phone screening. The HR specialist called in for like 20 minutes and asked 30 questions. I was part of their pre-selected workshop participants and I thought the hiring managers were impressed by my performance then. However, I was screened out of the process based on a few questions. I don't think such process was 100% accurate. The HR asked three times about my attitude towards power. I think I answered truthfully that I did not seek out for power but I was not afraid to be given and held accountable for. However, maybe they were looking for someone who would love to take on such challenges and deeded my personality did not match.

Interview Questions

• Various questions not directly related to the job but your personality   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Gallup

Consultant — Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gallup (Chicago, IL) in July 2011.

Interview

Was a very frustrating and confusing process. First you fill out the internet survey after applying online. Then go through a strict behavioral telephone phone interview. Next, two calls with two recruiters before setting up a call with an actual hiring manager. All the people were very nice, cordial, and completely candid but the process itself was not one that inspired a lot of interest in working for the company. Gallup is all about organization fit and I think it is was clear during the interview process that the position was not a fit which is completely fine. Secondly, I really think it is hard to take a management consulting firm seriously when a simple Google search of "working at Gallup" yields a host of negative reviews from employees and former employees at the firm. It may be true that Gallup is a great organization to work for and a lot of disgruntled employees are slandering the company without warrant but when you start to read the same gripes over and over from different sources, it makes you start to think twice. When asked about the internet negative publicity the recruiter said that she felt a lot of former employees were disgruntled, she learned that people were encouraged to slam former employers on job review sites by new employers and Gallup was a victim of that chicanery , and admitted that Gallup may not be doing a good enough job of combating the negative press. Overall, I would say that it was clear that I was not a fit for Gallup and that is completely fine. I would not discourage anyone from applying to Gallup but I would say, ask a lot of questions.

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gallup (Irvine, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

I applied for the position in early June and heard back a few days later. (When you apply initially you have to take a personality test online that determines if you fit in with the culture.) The initial phone interview was set for three weeks after they contacted me. The phone interview was basically the same as the online personality assessment. They ask a yes or no question and then you have to say a time when you did _____. Basic STAR stuff. These interviews are recorded and it is very difficult to build a report w/ the interviewer. She just has a list and reads off it. I'm just waiting to ear back from them at this point. I'm pretty sure that if I do, there will be a lot more interviews to go.

Interview Questions

• What would you consider a lot of money?   Answer Question
    • Do you keep up to date in your industry/field? How do you keep up to date in your field?   Answer Question

Consultant - Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gallup (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Fairly lengthy process. Began with the on-line personality test. Fairly straight forward as you answer questions on your sales drive, client focus and the idea of compensation tied to accomplishments. You than had a long phone interview with what I believe to be one of Gallup's phone interviewer based out of Omaha Nebraska. Time was approximately 45 minutes with a majority being behavioral questions. Again, focusing on sales/business development, client relationships and personality questions regarding communications. There was no dialogue but a strict question, then answer, then next question. They do say that responses are transcribed for analysis by Hiring Manager. I received a reply within two weeks stating that the Hiring Manager wished to speak briefly to review my professional experience. This was a very casual conversation and we immediately decided to have myself to flown out to the Princeton NJ office for a face to face interview with the Hiring Manager plus a teleconference with people out of the D.C. office. The face to face was a disappointment. The first interview with the Hiring Manager was a traditional tell me about yourself evaluation on fit and an opportunity to ask questions. The second interviewer was 30 MINUTES LATE and seemed to apologize in a very casual manner. The questions were very traditional looking to probe personality, fit and communication skills but the interviewer seemed disinterested to be there. The interview lasted only 15 minutes of the scheduled 45 minutes. The last interview was with head of the Eastern Region development. Interviewer asked to expound upon my background which was an opportunity to show fit. Again, the interviewer had two questions and an opportunity to ask questions but appeared that he preferred to be else where as the interview lasted only 20 minutes. There was no dialogue or desire to engage in the interview process. The best description would be disinterested. I believe that the person had made up their minds prior to the meeting and was simply going through formalities. Speculation or educated guess. Received a call back several days later on decision from the Hiring Manager who was gracious enough to talk about the decision process which I do appreciate.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gallup (Washington, DC) in December 2010.

Interview

Online assessment - Straight forward. If you want to do a little research on what they're trying to get a feel for, read the books by Marcus Buckingham featuring the Strengthsfinder tests. Behavioral Phone Interview - The interviewer explains the process, I don't understand why so many people are offended by the "robotic" nature of the conversation. He/she is not allowed to give feedback or clarify, you're supposed to answer the questions as you interpret them. Lists of sample questions can be found online. Find a few and you'll get the idea. 1 on 1 interview - Now you finally get to talk about your skills and experience. You'll get briefed on what is required a few days before over the phone. I'm scheduled for the 1 on 1 in a few days. Overall very positive experience. Very intelligent group of people just searching for the right type of person. If you fit the bill, you'll get an offer. If not, you won't. So be on your A-game but just be yourself. If Glassdoor let's me update this, I'll add my thoughts about the 1 on 1 interview afterward.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Gallup (Washington, DC) in October 2010.

Interview

I applied online for the position, then I have immediately gotten a link to a personality test. Once I took that and passed it, the following day I got a request to schedule a phone interview. I had the phone interview few days later. I was asked literally 80 questions, by an interviewer who spoke like a robot. The person was only allowed to repeat the question, you couldn't get any clarification whatsoever. Though the interview was behavioral, most of my questions were geared towards sales.. i don't know if that has something to do with the position I applied for but one of the first questions I was asked was: were you a sales consultant? if you say yes, the following question was: describe when. You are always asked to provide an example or situation. It was brutal because you don't have a second to compose your thoughts and you are being drilled with questions in less than 40 minutes. 2 days later, I got an email saying that I was not picked for the next round.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Gallup (San Francisco, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

Applied on-line through linkedin.com. Received an email notification that based on my application (resume, educational background, a behavioral personal test) Gallup Consulting would like to conduct a phone-interview with me. Received a call shortly after the email to schedule the interview. I did a lot of research on Gallup Consulting prior to my interview and even had the CEO of an Inc. 100 company assist me in preparing for a behavioral interview. Gallup's principle is that people are predictable and based on prior behavior, an individual's future behavior can be determined. While I was asked questions regarding predictability in behavior (whether I think people are predictable or not. I replied yes, but it depends as some individuals may change due to an unforeseen event or occurrence. Was then asked to give an example of predictability in individuals). Most questions were sales oriented, and I do not have much of a sales background. Still, because of my leadership skills and preparation for the 45 minute phone interview, I thought it went well. Much to my dismay, I received an email 3 days later notifying me that I would not be chosen for the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gallup (Chicago, IL) in June 2009.

Interview

I had a phone interview with Gallup that was about 1 hr long, it was a series of questions that were very structured and asked me to explain every answer. it took about a week and a half to receive an answer but I was moved to the next round.

Interview Questions

• Are you a highly motivated person? If so give me an example of how why you are more motivated than others?   Answer Question

Business Development Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gallup in October 2014.

Interview

pretty much the same thing that everyone else mentioned, I applied online and did the online assessment after 1 day received an email to follow up for an interview. I called and scheduled an interview for a week later. Recruiter called on time, he was very friendly and asked to give him short answers. will let me know in 5 days whether I moved to next step. He mentioned that there would be another interview with hiring manager and if pass the last one would be face to face. It takes them 2 months to fill the position! some questions; -who set a higher goal, you or your manager? - How did you improve your leadership skills? You can find all the Qs by searching mostly the same as the assessment.

Consultant-Business Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gallup.

Interview

what's a lot of money according to you do you want salaried or commission-like pay structure have you ever changed the culture of an organization are you responsible,example are you competitive, example