Galt & Company

3.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Galt & Company

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Galt & Company.

Initial phone case interview, followed by 3-day in person interview with senior people, followed by a follow up excel skills interview (via phone). All was very fast- maybe 4-6 weeks for the whole process (non-campus). I was really turned off by one of the people I interviewed with (he seemed like a weirdo), but really liked some of the other people, and it turns out there are a ton of really fun people that work here. The cases were not at all particularly hard... 2 of them I answered right away, and the third one was in an industry that was very unfamiliar to me, but I got through it in the end just based on intuition. I didn't do any prep beforehand, but had done some case interviews a few years back, so knew what I was up against.

Interview Questions
  • For one interview, they just gave me a fake company's income statement and balance sheet, and asked me what I thought was interesting about it.   Answer Question
Start dates are negotiable, but total compensation less so. The firm bases your bonus on getting to a "total compensation" number, so if you do get a higher salary, expect a lower bonus to compensate (so that you end up at whatever they want to pay you, based on your performance rating). It's actually a pretty fair way of doing things- and the compensation in the end is phenomenal for the industry.

Other Interview Reviews for Galt & Company

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Galt & Company.

Got a phone interview after an employee referral. The total conversation lasted about half an hour. The first half was behavioral questions, and the second half we did a market sizing question. The process was very quick. I got a letter after two days saying they would not proceed with my candidacy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Galt & Company.

Case interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Galt & Company in October 2011.

One hour, two 1:1 interview with 2 MD. The first one is with a founder of the firm which is more behavior questions and it is good. The second one is more technical and tougher however I don't know what he wants. He asked me if I think I am lucky and how much a bottle of water cost. No case interview involved. The firm is small and their goal is to help public firms enhance their shareholder value (i.e. improve stock price). The job is very data intense. One interesting thing is you can live anywhere you want once if you have access to a major airport. You work at client site Monday-Thrusday and at home Friday. The company has a gathering every quarter.

Interview Questions
    • How many cars do you think coming out of Manhattan every day?   View Answer
    • How to measure 4L of water when you have one 5L and one 3L containers?   View Answer

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Galt & Company in November 2011.

The first interview was a 30 minute phone interview with a consultant who leads the recruiting efforts. The phone interview consisted of your standard resume walk-through and then two mini cases/brain teasers: 1) if you had a rubric cube that was 10x10x10 and dipped it in paint, how many squares would be covered?, and 2) how would predict the cost of water?

I then had three in-person interviews. When I went to the office for the interview, there were a handful of other applicants there as well. I wasn't expecting that, but I wasn't too concerned, either. I started with a case study. It was led by the interviewer who read information off of a power point. After reviewing the information, he then asked specific questions based on graphs/data that was provided. Each candidate also met with two of the Partners for a behavioral-based interview. I was actually surprised at how much time both of them left for questions; I felt like I wasn't asked many questions but was expected to lead the interview conversation at times.

One thing I would advise: I read reviews on this site and other sites prior to my interview and they were not a fair representation of my experience; particularly about the "weird" or "intimidating" questions. I felt that more during the phone interview than the in-person interviews. I would advise anyone who is applying to keep that in mind, because I definitely feel as if I prepared too much for the wrong types of questions.