GameStop Assistant Manager Interview Questions

2.1

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bloomington, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at GameStop in September 2014.

First interview with store manager. Went off a small workbook with multiple follow up questions. I often answered a large portion of the follow ups with my initial answer. Mostly about management experience, but in my case, having none, used times that I took an authoritative role. Mostly a common retail interview with a lot of supervisor questions. He wrote a lot and said I gave good answers.
Second interview was supposed to be a phone interview with another manager from the same area. Ended up as an in person interview because I worked I the same building as that Gamestop, so it was much easier to meet in person. In this interview, he ran out of questions because I answered then so fully again. Asked if I didn't get the AM if he could hire me to work 10 hours a week on my days off for my current job.

Didn't get the job, but he said I was a top contender.

Interview Questions
  • Give an example of when an employee didn't do what you had asked them to, and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in July 2014.

Applied online for a different position than the one I was highered for in early July, received initial call back 2 weeks later for over the phone interview and face to face scheduling aprox a week later. Brought paper copy of Resume on interview day, dressed in shirt, tie and slacks. Interviewer was upfront and said I was over qualified for the position, but wanted to place me into a a different position. Questions were straightforward for a retail position: customer service, employee relations, theft etc. At the end of the interview I was told I was being considered for a different position and I would receive a call back. 1 hr later I received a call back and did the second interview the same afternoon. I walked in and was told that I had the job if I wanted it. Very straightforward and honest very good interview process.

Interview Questions
    Were up front about minimum they could offer me, but indicated potential higher wage. Actual Negotiation occurs between Division Manager and HR. The more qualified you are the higher wage you will get.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GameStop.

First interview with store manager, second with metro training store manager, third with district manager.

Interview Questions
    • None. All questions were what you'd expect in a retail based interview.   Answer Question
    Got a fair offer based on previous experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in January 2010.

My hiring at GameStop was not normal. I went into a store for a job and basically would not take no for an answer. I went in and gave my resume. I watched how they worked and showed my skills helping guest in store that they could not.

Interview Questions
    • I always hate and have a hard time when they ask for your greatest strengthen and weakness.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at GameStop in March 2009.

I got called in for an interview a few days after submitting a physical application. I arrived to the interview in jeans, my house had actually been robbed the day before and I had nothing business in the pants area, the assistant manager, who interview me, was very forgiving though the store manager was pretty insistent that it was inappropriate. We sat down in the mall food court (it was a mall store) and we went through a round of the classics: a combination of situations and "describe a moment when..." questions. There were a few personal questions at the end, and I was able to describe my knowledge of the product. I was given an offer via telephone later in the day.

Interview Questions
    • "Describe how you would sell me ____."   View Answer
    I got into the store via a very entry-level sales position. Negotiation was non-existent.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at GameStop.

I had walked in and simply asked if they were hiring. I was just lucky enough to be taken in because I had helped a customer pick out a game as well as make sure it could run on their pc. After turning in my application, I was called in a few days later and then became an associate.

Interview Questions
    They told me how much they would bring me on for and I accepted. There was no negotiations because they have set wages for all the employees unless they're salaried managers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Clairsville, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Clairsville, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop.

Interviewed with the manager first, then interviewed with th district manager. a lot of questions on experience and how to handle customer service issue.

Interview Questions
    not really any negotiations.

Assistant Manager Interview

Pretty basic interview process. Ask about games, why to work there, etc.

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Keyser, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Keyser, WV

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in November 2010.

Easy. Interviewed with another seasoned manager. Easy questions and situational questions

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate my rate of pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in November 2012.

I was promoted from within, and given no actual interview. I was told one day I was going to be an Assistant, and then the pay raise and hour raise happened.

Interview Questions
    • From interviews I've conducted it's the "What game knowledge do you have" question that trips people up.   View Answers (2)
    No negotiation

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!