GameStop Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Waco, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GameStop (Waco, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview was fairly easy, the first interview was with the general manager and lasted about 25 minutes. Right after he invited me to a second interview with the area manager. That interview was about management questions such as scenarios and previous situations.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you gave perfect customer service.   1 Answer
  • What kind of video games do you know about?   1 Answer
  • The most important question was, What do you expect from working at game stop? and what can you offer game stop?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GameStop (Pensacola, FL).

Interview

The interview process for the Assistant Store Manager position was simple. It involved an initial interview with the Store Manager that was very by-the-book and focused specifically on previous experience with questions generally expecting to be answered in the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) format. The interview lasted approximately one hour. A follow-up interview with the District Manager was conducted the next day. This interview was more casual and seemed to focus on the manner in which I responded as opposed to what I was actually saying. This interview lasted about 30-45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What is your best customer service success story?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had a major disagreement with your supervisor, and if so, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had sales goals or quotas you've had to meet at any of your jobs?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Dora, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at GameStop (Mount Dora, FL) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, was called next day, interview set up for the following week. Arrived at store, waited for previous interviewee to finish with the store manager, the entire interview process at the store took over 2 hours from arrival to departure. I was read the entire interview from a sheet of paper, very robotic, manager didn't seem to care for personality. I was asked the basic management interview questions and then graded on my replies right in front of my face on the paper.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

I was approached by another Store Manager and told that he was in charge of finding a manager to take over his store because he was being moved to one being built. I was hired as a Manager Trainee and told it was a 6 week training process. The manager left the following week and suddenly the current assistant manager and I were left to run the store and he still had to train me... he realized that he was training his new boss instead of getting the promotion himself so he just stopped training me. By the end of the month they moved a different manager from a nearby store to take over this one, his assistant was promoted, and I was stuck as a trainee in the system for 3 months before the assistant that didn't train me was moved to a different location and I was made the assistant. I had to deal with constant complaints that I didn't know how to do many of the back office or inventory jobs, and though I explained that I'd never been trained or told about them I was still to blame as far as the manager cared. by 6 months I was told that there weren't any other store manager positions likely to come up unless someone quit or was fired... so I was stuck as an assistant making roughly 2/3rds what I was told I would get. I left before my 2 year anniversary for a much better job.

Interview Questions

• When looking at a P&L report, what are you looking for?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was told a salary after my training was over. I never got it.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Pretty standard. Be up beat driven and customer focused. Don't be a hardcore fan of one system or another, its OK to prefer Xbox over PlayStation, but don't put down to other systems.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Only had the phone interview with a current store manager so far, but she was great. Enthusuastic, personable, friendly, and seemed genuinely interested in me. Indicated she was forwarding my resume to her District Manager to set up a 1:1 interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, GA

Application

I interviewed at GameStop (Edison, GA) in October 2014.

Interview

Had a series of 3 interviews back to back at a j0b fair, went great! waiting to hear a call back. I was using many of my personal stories struggling in past jobs as an assistant manager, and shows how i dealt with tough situations,

Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at GameStop (Montgomery, AL) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process is very long and drawn out. The DM reached out to me to ask me to come fill out an application for an ASM position. Once the app was filled out we talked for approximately 20 minutes he said that he would contact me within a day to move on to the next level in the process. Waited almost 5 weeks before hearing anything from him. Once I did hear back from him we got the next interview setup. After the second interview he contacted me about an hour after it was over and stated that he wanted to have another face to face with myself and the RM and he would contact me back in two days. Waited 2 months before hearing anything back from him and once I did hear something back he offered me the position and the new hire paperwork took a month alone.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about time that you had implement change that you did not agree with.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

You are interviewed by the store manager first and then district manager. If you are lucky, you get an interview with the district manager depending if they are a good one. The hiring process is fairly easy and traditional sometimes, starting with a phone call to come in for the face to face. This is for management positions only, for partime game advisors theres a group interview sometimes.

Interview Questions

• there is no real structured questions sometimes. It varies from manager to manager   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Big Spring, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GameStop (Big Spring, TX).

Interview

During certain times of the year, mainly holiday, or in the event of someone leaving the company for X,Y,Z reason are the best times to try to get hired at your local Gamestop. Interviews are usually 20-60 mins depending on the management who's doing the interviews. I was able to be referred via taking a college course with the manager of my local Gamestop and through social networking landed an interview within a week of putting in my application.

Interview Questions

• Be ready for anything as this depends very much so on the hiring manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was hired on as a Game Advisor. Negotiation phase was more of a large exhange of information as far as the typical on-boarding process. You're basically informed of your expected amount of hours to recieve, or simply shown the schedules, and your payrate. Overall standard stuff.