GameStop Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2015
Updated Apr 12, 2015

2.1

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Pretty standard. Be up beat driven and customer focused. Don't be a hardcore fan of one system or another, its OK to prefer Xbox over PlayStation, but don't put down to other systems.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

I was approached by another Store Manager and told that he was in charge of finding a manager to take over his store because he was being moved to one being built.
    I was hired as a Manager Trainee and told it was a 6 week training process.
    The manager left the following week and suddenly the current assistant manager and I were left to run the store and he still had to train me... he realized that he was training his new boss instead of getting the promotion himself so he just stopped training me.
    By the end of the month they moved a different manager from a nearby store to take over this one, his assistant was promoted, and I was stuck as a trainee in the system for 3 months before the assistant that didn't train me was moved to a different location and I was made the assistant.
    I had to deal with constant complaints that I didn't know how to do many of the back office or inventory jobs, and though I explained that I'd never been trained or told about them I was still to blame as far as the manager cared.
    by 6 months I was told that there weren't any other store manager positions likely to come up unless someone quit or was fired... so I was stuck as an assistant making roughly 2/3rds what I was told I would get.
    I left before my 2 year anniversary for a much better job.

Interview Questions

• When looking at a P&L report, what are you looking for?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was told a salary after my training was over. I never got it.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Only had the phone interview with a current store manager so far, but she was great. Enthusuastic, personable, friendly, and seemed genuinely interested in me. Indicated she was forwarding my resume to her District Manager to set up a 1:1 interview.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

interviewed at GameStop (Edison, GA) in October 2014.

Interview

Had a series of 3 interviews back to back at a j0b fair, went great! waiting to hear a call back. I was using many of my personal stories struggling in past jobs as an assistant manager, and shows how i dealt with tough situations,

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

You are interviewed by the store manager first and then district manager. If you are lucky, you get an interview with the district manager depending if they are a good one. The hiring process is fairly easy and traditional sometimes, starting with a phone call to come in for the face to face. This is for management positions only, for partime game advisors theres a group interview sometimes.

Interview Questions

• there is no real structured questions sometimes. It varies from manager to manager   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GameStop (Big Spring, TX).

Interview

During certain times of the year, mainly holiday, or in the event of someone leaving the company for X,Y,Z reason are the best times to try to get hired at your local Gamestop. Interviews are usually 20-60 mins depending on the management who's doing the interviews. I was able to be referred via taking a college course with the manager of my local Gamestop and through social networking landed an interview within a week of putting in my application.

Interview Questions

• Be ready for anything as this depends very much so on the hiring manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was hired on as a Game Advisor. Negotiation phase was more of a large exhange of information as far as the typical on-boarding process. You're basically informed of your expected amount of hours to recieve, or simply shown the schedules, and your payrate. Overall standard stuff.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

For management, expect at least 2 interviews with local managers and 1 with district management. The interviews will focus mainly on sales and customer service. I recommend stressing the importance of customer service.

Interview Questions

• I didn't find the interview process difficult, just long. It was pretty laid-back. The district manager interview was a little intimidating, but it was over the phone, so that helped.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Considering I had a lot of retail management experience, they negotiated a $2 higher pay rate than they normally offer (which is around $9.00 hr,), which was pleasing, but still kind of low.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at GameStop (Rochester, NY).

Interview

In person interview with either the Senior Game Advisor or Assistant Store Manager followed by an interview with the Store Manager. If you make it past him or her, they will sometimes bring you in to have you meet with the District Manager. Sometimes they'll ask you to sell them on a game you don't like to test your sales ability, but only if you have a lack of experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your least favorite game? Can you sell me a copy of it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. Pay is based on experience.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Initially applied for position through the GameStop website.
    An area store manager called me the next day for an official interview. I went into the local store and the interview took place in the stock room. They asked me about my previous work experience, why this qualified me to be a leader, my education history, my gaming experience and then my favorite and least favorite game. This store manager okay-ed me and scheduled an interview with the district manager. I met with the district manager 3 days later. The interview was essentially the same except the district manager had me pick my 3 least favorite games and then sell them to him. Very easy interview process.

Interview Questions

• Describe you 3 least favorite video games of all time. Now sell them to me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. They offered me $11 an hour and said they couldn't go any higher.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

The interview process is based on if you know someone or if your applying for a seasonal position.