GameStop

Average Difficulty
27 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in November 2011.

Interview Details – Interview was about 45 minutes with a district manager. Talked about previous experience and why I wanted to work for the company. Easy interview. Company is pretty cool after all and fun. You get lots of freebies. Just be confident and really want the job and you will get it.

Interview Question – Desired salary?   Answer Question

Big Spring, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – During certain times of the year, mainly holiday, or in the event of someone leaving the company for X,Y,Z reason are the best times to try to get hired at your local Gamestop. Interviews are usually 20-60 mins depending on the management who's doing the interviews. I was able to be referred via taking a college course with the manager of my local Gamestop and through social networking landed an interview within a week of putting in my application.

Interview Question – Be ready for anything as this depends very much so on the hiring manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was hired on as a Game Advisor. Negotiation phase was more of a large exhange of information as far as the typical on-boarding process. You're basically informed of your expected amount of hours to recieve, or simply shown the schedules, and your payrate. Overall standard stuff.

Detroit, MI

I applied in-person - interviewed at GameStop in February 2013.

Interview Details – As long as you've had experience managing: people, product, and equipment as such you should do fine to expound on your experience.

Interview Question – Gaming Knowledge (had to learn what was hot in the market).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Same as any other job opportunity you've been presented with before; nothing outside the norm.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process with everyone that isn't a field manager (DM, RD) is usually very casual, and usually very pleasant. Everyone wants a job at GameStop so they try and psych you up for the gig. They will not discuss hours or pay, because it is minimal for both.

Interview Question – None. Very casual.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Everything i asked for through all of my promotions was denied. Either I went with what they were willing to give, or I took a walk.

Corydon, IN

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in May 2010.

Interview Details – I had already been working as a part-time Game Advisor. There was some manager shuffling in our district so the DM offered me the Assistant Manager position during that time.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any questions, other than if I thought I could handle the responsibilities while also attending college full time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated my pay and for my schedule to be flexible each semester.

Assistant Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – For management, expect at least 2 interviews with local managers and 1 with district management. The interviews will focus mainly on sales and customer service. I recommend stressing the importance of customer service.

Interview Question – I didn't find the interview process difficult, just long. It was pretty laid-back. The district manager interview was a little intimidating, but it was over the phone, so that helped.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Considering I had a lot of retail management experience, they negotiated a $2 higher pay rate than they normally offer (which is around $9.00 hr,), which was pleasing, but still kind of low.

Rochester, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – In person interview with either the Senior Game Advisor or Assistant Store Manager followed by an interview with the Store Manager. If you make it past him or her, they will sometimes bring you in to have you meet with the District Manager. Sometimes they'll ask you to sell them on a game you don't like to test your sales ability, but only if you have a lack of experience.

Interview Question – What is your least favorite game? Can you sell me a copy of it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Pay is based on experience.

Bakersfield, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at GameStop in June 2012.

Interview Details – they ask what you have to offer t the store if you are brought on, and also what have been some good passed experiances and some bad eperiances with customers that you have had

Negotiation Details – we were talking about pay and i had just relocated from visalia to bakersfield for the ASM role and also bilingual in a high hispanic area so 12.00 would be my offer.

Assistant Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at GameStop in October 2009.

Interview Details – Getting an interview at the store level requires either a lot of luck, or knowing someone who works there. With 5 to 10 employees on payroll at a time, stores have little wiggle room to higher new people. That being said, on the average week 15-30 people apply for a job. Good luck!

Interview Question – The interview is being done by an overworked schlub who doesn't feel valued by their boss. Dress nice, answer honestly, and don't be an idiot. You probably won't get the job though, unless you are over-qualified. Most people have a bachelors degree and are essentially working the McDonald's of video game retail. Seriously, I once worked in a retail store with a man with his masters degree in Genetics... everyone seems to be overqualified for their jobs these days.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating.

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Initially applied for position through the GameStop website.
An area store manager called me the next day for an official interview. I went into the local store and the interview took place in the stock room. They asked me about my previous work experience, why this qualified me to be a leader, my education history, my gaming experience and then my favorite and least favorite game. This store manager okay-ed me and scheduled an interview with the district manager. I met with the district manager 3 days later. The interview was essentially the same except the district manager had me pick my 3 least favorite games and then sell them to him. Very easy interview process.

Interview Question – Describe you 3 least favorite video games of all time. Now sell them to me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They offered me $11 an hour and said they couldn't go any higher.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!