GameStop

Getting the Interview

24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

Irving, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was called in to interview at the Irving mall location. I live in Fort Worth and applied for Assistant Manager locally at three locations. I drive all the way to Irving from Fort Worth which is an hour, one way in traffic. Upon my arrival I had to fill out the paper application, and then I was directed toward two gentlemen in the food court. I walked up and neither of them put out their hands to introduce themselves, so I did. They were both dressed very casually and seemed as though they were preoccupied and were not paying attention to the answers to their qusetions. It felt like a waste of time during the "interview" and especially when it ended and I asked about the position I applied for and what to expect, when they told me that they put people where they see a fit (which makes sense), but that they had so many people to talk to that I may not hear anything back for two weeks, if I am considered. I haven't ever felt that uncomfortable in an interview.

Interview Question – Give the sory of your life.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Miami, FL

The process took 4 days - interviewed at GameStop in November 2009.

Interview Details – I've heard of people that had group interviews, all of mine were one on one. I went to 3 different stores before I finally got an interview with the former District Manager. Once I got to the main store of the district, the DM blew me off, saying he had a problem with his tires. I came back in another day, finally met him and the guy drilled me with questions about what the stock of the company was at, etc. A bunch of really obscure questions that no one would know off the top of their head. I wouldn't have got the job, except I met the store manager for that location and the guy saw my potential. Plus, he was promised an Assistant Manager for a long time and I think the DM gave me the position just to shut him up.

Interview Questions

• What's the stock of the company currently valued at?   View Answers (3)
  • What are the 3 types of shrink? (And make sure you know what GameStop calls them, other company's interpretations weren't valued.)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Imagine taking a drill and inserting it into your eye cavity. Let that feeling marinate for a while. Then decide whether or not you want to work with GameStop. Take what they are offering or walk out, they really don't care if you work for them, they'll turn on you the first chance they get to replace you with someone they think is more suitable.

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Usually there is a job Fair in the area one can attend where the district manager will accept applications and give a brief interview.

Interview Question – "What is your least Favorite game and why?" Once you've explained they'll then ask you to sell that game to them as if you actually like it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation. You either accept the pay they offer or you don't get the job.

Hartsville, SC

The process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in August 2009.

Interview Details – Company is run by mostly young people. Interview was normal. I was interviewed by 2 store managers. Also had a phone interview by a different person a few days later, but basically the same questions. They check 2 of your references.

Interview Question – What would you do to help with Loss Prevention?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at GameStop in June 2008.

Interview Details – It was a great time and the managers that I spoke with were very friendly...genuinely wanted to get information from myself. I had a blast and I wish I could have more interviews go the way that that one went!

Interview Question – Have you ever done drugs?   Answer Question

Bakersfield, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at GameStop in June 2012.

Interview Details – they ask what you have to offer t the store if you are brought on, and also what have been some good passed experiances and some bad eperiances with customers that you have had

Negotiation Details – we were talking about pay and i had just relocated from visalia to bakersfield for the ASM role and also bilingual in a high hispanic area so 12.00 would be my offer.

Rochester, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – In person interview with either the Senior Game Advisor or Assistant Store Manager followed by an interview with the Store Manager. If you make it past him or her, they will sometimes bring you in to have you meet with the District Manager. Sometimes they'll ask you to sell them on a game you don't like to test your sales ability, but only if you have a lack of experience.

Interview Question – What is your least favorite game? Can you sell me a copy of it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Pay is based on experience.

Assistant Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – For management, expect at least 2 interviews with local managers and 1 with district management. The interviews will focus mainly on sales and customer service. I recommend stressing the importance of customer service.

Interview Question – I didn't find the interview process difficult, just long. It was pretty laid-back. The district manager interview was a little intimidating, but it was over the phone, so that helped.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Considering I had a lot of retail management experience, they negotiated a $2 higher pay rate than they normally offer (which is around $9.00 hr,), which was pleasing, but still kind of low.

Assistant Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process with everyone that isn't a field manager (DM, RD) is usually very casual, and usually very pleasant. Everyone wants a job at GameStop so they try and psych you up for the gig. They will not discuss hours or pay, because it is minimal for both.

Interview Question – None. Very casual.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Everything i asked for through all of my promotions was denied. Either I went with what they were willing to give, or I took a walk.

Mobile, AL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at GameStop in October 2010.

Interview Details – I submitted my application/resume online through the corporate website. The DM contacted me for an interview. I was offered the position within a couple of months.

Negotiation Details – I had laid out my expectations and requests during the interview process, so the offer was acceptable.

Interviews for Top Jobs at GameStop

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GameStop Assistant Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 24 interview reviews posted anonymously by GameStop employees and interview candidates.