GameStop

Updated Jan 14, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop in June 2010.

I was called in to interview at the Irving mall location. I live in Fort Worth and applied for Assistant Manager locally at three locations. I drive all the way to Irving from Fort Worth which is an hour, one way in traffic. Upon my arrival I had to fill out the paper application, and then I was directed toward two gentlemen in the food court. I walked up and neither of them put out their hands to introduce themselves, so I did. They were both dressed very casually and seemed as though they were preoccupied and were not paying attention to the answers to their qusetions. It felt like a waste of time during the "interview" and especially when it ended and I asked about the position I applied for and what to expect, when they told me that they put people where they see a fit (which makes sense), but that they had so many people to talk to that I may not hear anything back for two weeks, if I am considered. I haven't ever felt that uncomfortable in an interview.

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at GameStop in November 2009.

I've heard of people that had group interviews, all of mine were one on one. I went to 3 different stores before I finally got an interview with the former District Manager. Once I got to the main store of the district, the DM blew me off, saying he had a problem with his tires. I came back in another day, finally met him and the guy drilled me with questions about what the stock of the company was at, etc. A bunch of really obscure questions that no one would know off the top of their head. I wouldn't have got the job, except I met the store manager for that location and the guy saw my potential. Plus, he was promised an Assistant Manager for a long time and I think the DM gave me the position just to shut him up.

Interview Questions
    • What's the stock of the company currently valued at?   View Answers (3)
    • What are the 3 types of shrink? (And make sure you know what GameStop calls them, other company's interpretations weren't valued.)   Answer Question
    Imagine taking a drill and inserting it into your eye cavity. Let that feeling marinate for a while. Then decide whether or not you want to work with GameStop. Take what they are offering or walk out, they really don't care if you work for them, they'll turn on you the first chance they get to replace you with someone they think is more suitable.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop.

Usually there is a job Fair in the area one can attend where the district manager will accept applications and give a brief interview.

Interview Questions
    • "What is your least Favorite game and why?" Once you've explained they'll then ask you to sell that game to them as if you actually like it.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation. You either accept the pay they offer or you don't get the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartsville, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartsville, SC

The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop in August 2009.

Company is run by mostly young people. Interview was normal. I was interviewed by 2 store managers. Also had a phone interview by a different person a few days later, but basically the same questions. They check 2 of your references.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GameStop in June 2008.

It was a great time and the managers that I spoke with were very friendly...genuinely wanted to get information from myself. I had a blast and I wish I could have more interviews go the way that that one went!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GameStop in June 2012.

they ask what you have to offer t the store if you are brought on, and also what have been some good passed experiances and some bad eperiances with customers that you have had

we were talking about pay and i had just relocated from visalia to bakersfield for the ASM role and also bilingual in a high hispanic area so 12.00 would be my offer.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview # 1 with Store Manager. Interview # 2 with DM. Interview # 2 was very well done, the DM instilled a lot of confidence in the company and the environment it creates. The hiring took place once a criminal check had been completed, roughly a 6-8 week process. Interview # 2 was laid back and it was easy to be honest and open.

Interview Questions
    • speak to a time when you've failed in either your personal or work life and how you handled it/ changed from it.   Answer Question
    There was not an opportunity to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX

I applied through other source – interviewed at GameStop in June 2010.

Interview process was pretty straight forward. Basic questions such as "How would you handle a customer complaint?" and "Can you tell me more about your job history with so and so?" Interview lasted roughly 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing complicated or unexpected. Questions about leadership and management behavioral experiences and examples. Most interesting question was about a favorite game and a time or example (roll-play) of how to sell it and about who to sell it to.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Edison, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Edison, GA

interviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

Had a series of 3 interviews back to back at a j0b fair, went great! waiting to hear a call back. I was using many of my personal stories struggling in past jobs as an assistant manager, and shows how i dealt with tough situations,

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at GameStop.

Pretty standard. Be up beat driven and customer focused. Don't be a hardcore fan of one system or another, its OK to prefer Xbox over PlayStation, but don't put down to other systems.

None