GameStop

Updated Jan 14, 2015

2.1

33 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop.

If hired on at this level, the interviewee gets interviewed by a manager (either Assistant or Store Manager) from the hiring store, gets interviewed by a higher manager (either a Manager-Trainer Store Manager or the District Manager), then the references are checked, and the person is called to come in for paperwork

Interview Questions
  • The basic interview questions are pretty basic and common, but sometimes the interviewer will ask questions they come up with to clarify information or gather additional important incite.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop.

Met with the manager and we hit it off immediatly. She hired me on the spot and I began the formal application process to be admitted.

More of a conversation to get to know me than a interview.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

The interview process is based on if you know someone or if your applying for a seasonal position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Big Spring, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Big Spring, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GameStop.

During certain times of the year, mainly holiday, or in the event of someone leaving the company for X,Y,Z reason are the best times to try to get hired at your local Gamestop. Interviews are usually 20-60 mins depending on the management who's doing the interviews. I was able to be referred via taking a college course with the manager of my local Gamestop and through social networking landed an interview within a week of putting in my application.

Interview Questions
    • Be ready for anything as this depends very much so on the hiring manager.   Answer Question
    I was hired on as a Game Advisor. Negotiation phase was more of a large exhange of information as far as the typical on-boarding process. You're basically informed of your expected amount of hours to recieve, or simply shown the schedules, and your payrate. Overall standard stuff.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

You are interviewed by the store manager first and then district manager. If you are lucky, you get an interview with the district manager depending if they are a good one. The hiring process is fairly easy and traditional sometimes, starting with a phone call to come in for the face to face. This is for management positions only, for partime game advisors theres a group interview sometimes.

Interview Questions
    • there is no real structured questions sometimes. It varies from manager to manager   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop.

Only had the phone interview with a current store manager so far, but she was great. Enthusuastic, personable, friendly, and seemed genuinely interested in me. Indicated she was forwarding my resume to her District Manager to set up a 1:1 interview.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GameStop.

I was approached by another Store Manager and told that he was in charge of finding a manager to take over his store because he was being moved to one being built.
    I was hired as a Manager Trainee and told it was a 6 week training process.
    The manager left the following week and suddenly the current assistant manager and I were left to run the store and he still had to train me... he realized that he was training his new boss instead of getting the promotion himself so he just stopped training me.
    By the end of the month they moved a different manager from a nearby store to take over this one, his assistant was promoted, and I was stuck as a trainee in the system for 3 months before the assistant that didn't train me was moved to a different location and I was made the assistant.
    I had to deal with constant complaints that I didn't know how to do many of the back office or inventory jobs, and though I explained that I'd never been trained or told about them I was still to blame as far as the manager cared.
    by 6 months I was told that there weren't any other store manager positions likely to come up unless someone quit or was fired... so I was stuck as an assistant making roughly 2/3rds what I was told I would get.
    I left before my 2 year anniversary for a much better job.

Interview Questions
    • When looking at a P&L report, what are you looking for?   View Answer
    I was told a salary after my training was over. I never got it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop in November 2011.

Interview was about 45 minutes with a district manager. Talked about previous experience and why I wanted to work for the company. Easy interview. Company is pretty cool after all and fun. You get lots of freebies. Just be confident and really want the job and you will get it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied in-person – interviewed at GameStop in February 2013.

As long as you've had experience managing: people, product, and equipment as such you should do fine to expound on your experience.

Interview Questions
    • Gaming Knowledge (had to learn what was hot in the market).   Answer Question
    Same as any other job opportunity you've been presented with before; nothing outside the norm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corydon, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corydon, IN

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop in May 2010.

I had already been working as a part-time Game Advisor. There was some manager shuffling in our district so the DM offered me the Assistant Manager position during that time.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any questions, other than if I thought I could handle the responsibilities while also attending college full time.   Answer Question
    I negotiated my pay and for my schedule to be flexible each semester.