GameStop

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Average Difficulty
27 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Assistant Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – If hired on at this level, the interviewee gets interviewed by a manager (either Assistant or Store Manager) from the hiring store, gets interviewed by a higher manager (either a Manager-Trainer Store Manager or the District Manager), then the references are checked, and the person is called to come in for paperwork

Interview Question – The basic interview questions are pretty basic and common, but sometimes the interviewer will ask questions they come up with to clarify information or gather additional important incite.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Met with the manager and we hit it off immediatly. She hired me on the spot and I began the formal application process to be admitted.

Negotiation Details – More of a conversation to get to know me than a interview.

Interviewed at GameStop

Interview Details – The interview process is based on if you know someone or if your applying for a seasonal position.

Interview Question – Can you count and say your abc's?   Answer Question

Big Spring, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – During certain times of the year, mainly holiday, or in the event of someone leaving the company for X,Y,Z reason are the best times to try to get hired at your local Gamestop. Interviews are usually 20-60 mins depending on the management who's doing the interviews. I was able to be referred via taking a college course with the manager of my local Gamestop and through social networking landed an interview within a week of putting in my application.

Interview Question – Be ready for anything as this depends very much so on the hiring manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was hired on as a Game Advisor. Negotiation phase was more of a large exhange of information as far as the typical on-boarding process. You're basically informed of your expected amount of hours to recieve, or simply shown the schedules, and your payrate. Overall standard stuff.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in November 2011.

Interview Details – Interview was about 45 minutes with a district manager. Talked about previous experience and why I wanted to work for the company. Easy interview. Company is pretty cool after all and fun. You get lots of freebies. Just be confident and really want the job and you will get it.

Interview Question – Desired salary?   Answer Question

Detroit, MI

I applied in-person - interviewed at GameStop in February 2013.

Interview Details – As long as you've had experience managing: people, product, and equipment as such you should do fine to expound on your experience.

Interview Question – Gaming Knowledge (had to learn what was hot in the market).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Same as any other job opportunity you've been presented with before; nothing outside the norm.

Corydon, IN

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in May 2010.

Interview Details – I had already been working as a part-time Game Advisor. There was some manager shuffling in our district so the DM offered me the Assistant Manager position during that time.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any questions, other than if I thought I could handle the responsibilities while also attending college full time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated my pay and for my schedule to be flexible each semester.

Assistant Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at GameStop in October 2009.

Interview Details – Getting an interview at the store level requires either a lot of luck, or knowing someone who works there. With 5 to 10 employees on payroll at a time, stores have little wiggle room to higher new people. That being said, on the average week 15-30 people apply for a job. Good luck!

Interview Question – The interview is being done by an overworked schlub who doesn't feel valued by their boss. Dress nice, answer honestly, and don't be an idiot. You probably won't get the job though, unless you are over-qualified. Most people have a bachelors degree and are essentially working the McDonald's of video game retail. Seriously, I once worked in a retail store with a man with his masters degree in Genetics... everyone seems to be overqualified for their jobs these days.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating.

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop in April 2011.

Interview Details – One interview, sit down with district manager in mall location. Questions focused on former team building and program selling. Big plus if your previous company was membership based, as the Gamestop experience requires lots of club selling with power up rewards.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, but don't expect to go in talking about video games.   Answer Question

Lansing, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop in October 2008.

Interview Details – Unfortunately any position below SM is usually done by the SM, and most of them have no idea what they are doing. By being well dressed, well spoken and knowledgeable and friendly, you already stand out among the hundreds of dumb people that apply each year.

Interview Question – If you were a kitchen appliance, what would you be and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, they make an offer, take it or leave it.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!