GameStop Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Morehead City, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at GameStop (Morehead City, NC) in October 2011.

Interview

Normal interview process, dress up for the interview, have a resume ready. Meet with the district manager, who will be conducting the interview. All management has to be interviewed by the DM. Normally the interview will be conducted in the back room.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a manager here?   1 Answer
  • If you witness an employee stealing, how do you respond to it?   1 Answer
  • Where do you see yourself in 5 years   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Dora, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at GameStop (Mount Dora, FL) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, was called next day, interview set up for the following week. Arrived at store, waited for previous interviewee to finish with the store manager, the entire interview process at the store took over 2 hours from arrival to departure. I was read the entire interview from a sheet of paper, very robotic, manager didn't seem to care for personality. I was asked the basic management interview questions and then graded on my replies right in front of my face on the paper.

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GameStop (New Orleans, LA) in March 2013.

Interview

Interview was more personal then business....we talk about likes and dislikes. Circle of life, current games or systems i owned, how vast my gaming knowledge was.Our last encounter with each other (I knew the manager, talked about different scenarios and ways to approach them or correct a situation as per interview questions.I was introduced to the staff and we talked about salary. Other then that the interview was very simple, even with my background it seems as though it was very easy in and out process regardless.

Interview Questions

• If you see me take money but put it back the next day because I needed it, what would you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Waco, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GameStop (Waco, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview was fairly easy, the first interview was with the general manager and lasted about 25 minutes. Right after he invited me to a second interview with the area manager. That interview was about management questions such as scenarios and previous situations.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you gave perfect customer service.   1 Answer
    • What kind of video games do you know about?   1 Answer
    • The most important question was, What do you expect from working at game stop? and what can you offer game stop?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at GameStop (Chicago, IL) in October 2011.

Interview

I was recruited by the store manager of GameStop several months before interviewing with the company because of prior retail management and sales experience with footlocker. I was told of the responsibilities and

Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at GameStop (Montgomery, AL) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process is very long and drawn out. The DM reached out to me to ask me to come fill out an application for an ASM position. Once the app was filled out we talked for approximately 20 minutes he said that he would contact me within a day to move on to the next level in the process. Waited almost 5 weeks before hearing anything from him. Once I did hear back from him we got the next interview setup. After the second interview he contacted me about an hour after it was over and stated that he wanted to have another face to face with myself and the RM and he would contact me back in two days. Waited 2 months before hearing anything back from him and once I did hear something back he offered me the position and the new hire paperwork took a month alone.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about time that you had implement change that you did not agree with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GameStop (Pensacola, FL).

Interview

The interview process for the Assistant Store Manager position was simple. It involved an initial interview with the Store Manager that was very by-the-book and focused specifically on previous experience with questions generally expecting to be answered in the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) format. The interview lasted approximately one hour. A follow-up interview with the District Manager was conducted the next day. This interview was more casual and seemed to focus on the manner in which I responded as opposed to what I was actually saying. This interview lasted about 30-45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What is your best customer service success story?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had a major disagreement with your supervisor, and if so, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had sales goals or quotas you've had to meet at any of your jobs?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at GameStop (Gainesville, GA) in August 2011.

Interview

Sit down with District Manager with general interview questions. Review qualifications/previous employment and answer questions at mall food court. Then interviewed with store manager to discuss day to day operations and ability to perform duties as required. Complete drug screening and background check after final interview. Position started immediately.

Anonymous Employee in Morehead City, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GameStop (Morehead City, NC) in November 2011.

Interview

I was promoted internally. I did have to have a face to face interview with the district manager. After the interview, I was promoted the following week. I was in charge of hiring as an assistant manager, and I can tell you that if you plan on applying for a management position, you have to have a resume in addition to the store application.

Interview Questions

• If you catch one of the employees stealing, what would you do?   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Pretty standard. Be up beat driven and customer focused. Don't be a hardcore fan of one system or another, its OK to prefer Xbox over PlayStation, but don't put down to other systems.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None