GameStop Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jan 14, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied in-person – interviewed at GameStop in February 2013.

As long as you've had experience managing: people, product, and equipment as such you should do fine to expound on your experience.

Interview Questions
  • Gaming Knowledge (had to learn what was hot in the market).   Answer Question
Same as any other job opportunity you've been presented with before; nothing outside the norm.

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GameStop in June 2012.

they ask what you have to offer t the store if you are brought on, and also what have been some good passed experiances and some bad eperiances with customers that you have had

we were talking about pay and i had just relocated from visalia to bakersfield for the ASM role and also bilingual in a high hispanic area so 12.00 would be my offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop in November 2011.

Interview was about 45 minutes with a district manager. Talked about previous experience and why I wanted to work for the company. Easy interview. Company is pretty cool after all and fun. You get lots of freebies. Just be confident and really want the job and you will get it.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop in April 2011.

The interview process with everyone that isn't a field manager (DM, RD) is usually very casual, and usually very pleasant. Everyone wants a job at GameStop so they try and psych you up for the gig. They will not discuss hours or pay, because it is minimal for both.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. Everything i asked for through all of my promotions was denied. Either I went with what they were willing to give, or I took a walk.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop in April 2011.

One interview, sit down with district manager in mall location. Questions focused on former team building and program selling. Big plus if your previous company was membership based, as the Gamestop experience requires lots of club selling with power up rewards.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, but don't expect to go in talking about video games.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GameStop in October 2010.

I submitted my application/resume online through the corporate website. The DM contacted me for an interview. I was offered the position within a couple of months.

I had laid out my expectations and requests during the interview process, so the offer was acceptable.

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop in June 2010.

I was called in to interview at the Irving mall location. I live in Fort Worth and applied for Assistant Manager locally at three locations. I drive all the way to Irving from Fort Worth which is an hour, one way in traffic. Upon my arrival I had to fill out the paper application, and then I was directed toward two gentlemen in the food court. I walked up and neither of them put out their hands to introduce themselves, so I did. They were both dressed very casually and seemed as though they were preoccupied and were not paying attention to the answers to their qusetions. It felt like a waste of time during the "interview" and especially when it ended and I asked about the position I applied for and what to expect, when they told me that they put people where they see a fit (which makes sense), but that they had so many people to talk to that I may not hear anything back for two weeks, if I am considered. I haven't ever felt that uncomfortable in an interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX

I applied through other source – interviewed at GameStop in June 2010.

Interview process was pretty straight forward. Basic questions such as "How would you handle a customer complaint?" and "Can you tell me more about your job history with so and so?" Interview lasted roughly 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing complicated or unexpected. Questions about leadership and management behavioral experiences and examples. Most interesting question was about a favorite game and a time or example (roll-play) of how to sell it and about who to sell it to.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corydon, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corydon, IN

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop in May 2010.

I had already been working as a part-time Game Advisor. There was some manager shuffling in our district so the DM offered me the Assistant Manager position during that time.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any questions, other than if I thought I could handle the responsibilities while also attending college full time.   Answer Question
    I negotiated my pay and for my schedule to be flexible each semester.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cordova, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cordova, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at GameStop in May 2010.

I went to turn into my application to the former store manager. The application was pretty easy and straight forward. When I turned in my application he told me that they had one opening and he was still reviewing applications and he would give me a call back. The day after he called me to schedule an interview the next day if I was available. I went to my interview dressed in jeans and a polo as I had seen the employees wearing for years. The interview was really laid back and we had our interview at Starbucks. After the interview was over (about 30 minutes later) he said that he would really like to have me on the team and proceeded to schedule my first day of work.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your strengths and weaknesses when dealing with the public day to day?   View Answer
    Try and negotiate a little above minimum wage especially if you have previous retail experience, They may say they have to go through their district manager.