GameStop

Average Difficulty
27 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at GameStop

Interview Details – The interview process is based on if you know someone or if your applying for a seasonal position.

Interview Question – Can you count and say your abc's?   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop in April 2011.

Interview Details – One interview, sit down with district manager in mall location. Questions focused on former team building and program selling. Big plus if your previous company was membership based, as the Gamestop experience requires lots of club selling with power up rewards.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, but don't expect to go in talking about video games.   Answer Question

Meriden, CT

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop in October 2009.

Interview Details – I hand submitted an application. These can be obtained in store or on their website (no online submission, unless for SM/DM level positions).

Hand in the application yourself. When parents would hand in applications for their 17, 18, EVEN 19 YEAR OLD "children," I would immediately consider them a "last ditch effort." Having someone else hand in your application demonstrates that you have little responsibility, and in general don't care about the job.

I called the store for a followup after one week; if merited, call back again every other week.

I dressed casually for the interview. The dress code at GameStop requires you to wear a polo, sweater, or collared shirt. Regular t-shirts are allowed if provided through promotional kits. Jeans or khakis are fine with sneakers / dress shoes; no shorts and no sandals. Loafers are allowed, although upper management may decide what you can / cannot wear.

In other words, dress for the job.

I was asked my previous experience, my familiarity with consoles, game genres, and customer service. The important factor is how well you can / cannot deal with other people. It is also important how well you can sell. Knowledge is perhaps the least important asset, and if anything, will be considered last.

Too often would neckbeards, forever alones, and other gaming "enthusiasts" apply for positions, only to be denied following interviews. GameStop does not care how quickly you played through Demon's Souls. Your opinion on why the XBOX 360 is better than the PS3 is moot. How many consoles you own, and games you play a week is depressing. These will not help you get the store a profit, and likely will only annoy your socially competent coworkers.

Any and all gaming knowledge can / will come following your hiring.

Be cool, calm, and collected, in order to demonstrate you are competent at alphabetizing, using a POS system, and talking to human beings that aren't digitized.

Interview Question – "Name a previous experience where you turned a negative interaction with a customer into a positive one."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I came from a retail job where I made $12.00/hr, and worked full time. I attempted to bargain for a comprable pay. The Store Manager at the time burst out laughing (no joke). She started me off at 25¢ (8.25) above minimum wage as a part time GA.

Cordova, TN

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at GameStop in May 2010.

Interview Details – I went to turn into my application to the former store manager. The application was pretty easy and straight forward. When I turned in my application he told me that they had one opening and he was still reviewing applications and he would give me a call back. The day after he called me to schedule an interview the next day if I was available. I went to my interview dressed in jeans and a polo as I had seen the employees wearing for years. The interview was really laid back and we had our interview at Starbucks. After the interview was over (about 30 minutes later) he said that he would really like to have me on the team and proceeded to schedule my first day of work.

Interview Question – Describe your strengths and weaknesses when dealing with the public day to day?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Try and negotiate a little above minimum wage especially if you have previous retail experience, They may say they have to go through their district manager.

Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in November 2009.

Interview Details – A close friend just hired me on the spot.

Interview Question – Can you work until 1am on Mondays?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy.

Lansing, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop in October 2008.

Interview Details – Unfortunately any position below SM is usually done by the SM, and most of them have no idea what they are doing. By being well dressed, well spoken and knowledgeable and friendly, you already stand out among the hundreds of dumb people that apply each year.

Interview Question – If you were a kitchen appliance, what would you be and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, they make an offer, take it or leave it.

Mobile, AL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at GameStop in October 2010.

Interview Details – I submitted my application/resume online through the corporate website. The DM contacted me for an interview. I was offered the position within a couple of months.

Negotiation Details – I had laid out my expectations and requests during the interview process, so the offer was acceptable.

Very Difficult Interview

Miami, FL

The process took 4 days - interviewed at GameStop in November 2009.

Interview Details – I've heard of people that had group interviews, all of mine were one on one. I went to 3 different stores before I finally got an interview with the former District Manager. Once I got to the main store of the district, the DM blew me off, saying he had a problem with his tires. I came back in another day, finally met him and the guy drilled me with questions about what the stock of the company was at, etc. A bunch of really obscure questions that no one would know off the top of their head. I wouldn't have got the job, except I met the store manager for that location and the guy saw my potential. Plus, he was promised an Assistant Manager for a long time and I think the DM gave me the position just to shut him up.

Interview Questions

• What's the stock of the company currently valued at?   View Answers (3)
  • What are the 3 types of shrink? (And make sure you know what GameStop calls them, other company's interpretations weren't valued.)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Imagine taking a drill and inserting it into your eye cavity. Let that feeling marinate for a while. Then decide whether or not you want to work with GameStop. Take what they are offering or walk out, they really don't care if you work for them, they'll turn on you the first chance they get to replace you with someone they think is more suitable.

Very Difficult Interview

Irving, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was called in to interview at the Irving mall location. I live in Fort Worth and applied for Assistant Manager locally at three locations. I drive all the way to Irving from Fort Worth which is an hour, one way in traffic. Upon my arrival I had to fill out the paper application, and then I was directed toward two gentlemen in the food court. I walked up and neither of them put out their hands to introduce themselves, so I did. They were both dressed very casually and seemed as though they were preoccupied and were not paying attention to the answers to their qusetions. It felt like a waste of time during the "interview" and especially when it ended and I asked about the position I applied for and what to expect, when they told me that they put people where they see a fit (which makes sense), but that they had so many people to talk to that I may not hear anything back for two weeks, if I am considered. I haven't ever felt that uncomfortable in an interview.

Interview Question – Give the sory of your life.   View Answer

Hartsville, SC

The process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in August 2009.

Interview Details – Company is run by mostly young people. Interview was normal. I was interviewed by 2 store managers. Also had a phone interview by a different person a few days later, but basically the same questions. They check 2 of your references.

Interview Question – What would you do to help with Loss Prevention?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at GameStop