GameStop

2.6

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop.

Interviewed two different times, once with the district manager and then with a store manager

Very easy

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop in September 2012.

Found via recruiter. Had a phone tech screen followed up by a face-to-face and the position was a direct hire, not contract-to-hire

Interview Questions
    • over a year ago so don't remember much, just that it was with the director and manager of data management along with people from the group i was to work with closely. Most of the questions seemed to focus on ability to troubleshoot dynamic sql and interpersonal relationship building.   Answer Question
    It was short, just make sure you get what you want upfront. Like many other places, the raises are not great nor are they genuinely based on performance. Apparently it used to be that way but the long term people here have indicated that stopped about 2 years ago.

Senior User Experience Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop in August 2012.

Met with manager for truly wonderful interview. Very informative. Sounds like a wonderful team who is planning big things. Great benefits and work environment. Unfortunately, not much opportunity or emphasis on work-life balance. Location too far from me for reasonable commute and no opportunity to work from home or flex schedule. Fabulous manager and team, though! Would definitely consider if closer to my home.

Senior Database Administratior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop in September 2011.

The hiring process was a painless process. The tests were to the point and management informs you on exactly what to expect. Communication is open as managements lets you know the pros and cons of your experience.

non negotiable at all.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at GameStop in January 2011.

The entire process consisted of 3 phone calls and one personal interview. The first interview focused on my experience and expertise in the area. The following calls had many software related problems, apparently many candidates where unable to solve basic programming questions. The last interview was much more technical and consisted on explaining how to solve several problems that the company had at the time. Also some general computer science concepts and basic problems were thrown in between keeping me on my toes.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what is a web service, advantages of using ws, if I have debugged one and to explain how I could find errors in a existing one.   Answer Question
    The salary was known before hand, so little negotiation room.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop in June 2010.

I was called in to interview at the Irving mall location. I live in Fort Worth and applied for Assistant Manager locally at three locations. I drive all the way to Irving from Fort Worth which is an hour, one way in traffic. Upon my arrival I had to fill out the paper application, and then I was directed toward two gentlemen in the food court. I walked up and neither of them put out their hands to introduce themselves, so I did. They were both dressed very casually and seemed as though they were preoccupied and were not paying attention to the answers to their qusetions. It felt like a waste of time during the "interview" and especially when it ended and I asked about the position I applied for and what to expect, when they told me that they put people where they see a fit (which makes sense), but that they had so many people to talk to that I may not hear anything back for two weeks, if I am considered. I haven't ever felt that uncomfortable in an interview.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX

I applied through other source – interviewed at GameStop in June 2010.

Interview process was pretty straight forward. Basic questions such as "How would you handle a customer complaint?" and "Can you tell me more about your job history with so and so?" Interview lasted roughly 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing complicated or unexpected. Questions about leadership and management behavioral experiences and examples. Most interesting question was about a favorite game and a time or example (roll-play) of how to sell it and about who to sell it to.   View Answer

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at GameStop in August 2009.

I was contacted by a staff agency while in California, and they arranged first a phone interview then a face to face interview on video conference with hiring manager and a couple of team members. Went through some tecnical questions and my background as a tester. We also discussed overall personaly threats and some relocation issues since the job was in Grapevine, Texas.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular, just average questions about tools and experience   Answer Question
    They accepted my rate requirements and also provided some help for relocation (money advance)

Game Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GameStop in August 2009.

Turned in paper application in store and received a call a few days later to come in for an interview. I arrived at the store for the interview and there were 3 other candidates there to be interviewed as well. We were taken to the back for one on one interviews with the store manager. Was asked about general game knowledge including the type of games I'm familiar with as well as the systems I've used. Was also asked why I wanted to work there and where I saw myself in 5 years.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Prairie, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Prairie, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop in July 2009.

I walked in and they checked my online application. After that I basically just got interviewed by the manager. Once the interview was over he told me he would review my application and call me.

Interview Questions
    • If you were an animal, what animal would you be and why?   Answer Question

I found out from a friend that working there is terrible.