GameStop

Average Difficulty
94 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Game Advisor

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Was pretty simple. Questions like "When are people more likely to make decisions?" or "What's your reason to want to work here?" They're all straight forward. If you don't know the answer, it's fine. Chances are, not knowing the answer and admitting you don't is fine since you'll learn granted you're hired. Other questions were things like what do you do in spare time, where do you go to school, are you planning to go to college if you aren't already in college, etc. It's a simple interview. Nothing to really be afraid of. The hiring manager at the GameStop I work at was pretty chill. Only downfall was that HR was pretty bad to work with since I was still a minor when I was hired so they took forever to add me into GameStop's employee list. As someone whose never had a job before, I'm actually glad this is my first job. It's a lot of fun and quite a good start.

Negotiation Details – Just have good social skills. It really isn't that difficult to get hired at GS. Be yourself, don't be afraid to admit if you don't know something, but be willing to learn more if you're interested.

Game Advisor

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Very straight forward. I received a call from the manager after having asked him a few days earlier. So I filled out an application and went into the back room for the interview. It lasted only a few minutes, I shook the man's hand and that was that. Apparently they weren't currently hiring, but kept my application on file.

Interview Question – I seriously cannot remember the exact questions. I know he asked various questions about how I would help a customer if they asked my advice on a particular game title or console.   Answer Question

The Woodlands, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

Interview Details – In order to get a job at GameStop, you normally have to wait until a job fair and there's usually two a year, one in Spring and the other in September for the holidays. Applications are to be printed from the GameStop website, and once you're finished with your application, you give it to the manager during the job fair (if you hand them a resume that will make them more than happy). The manager that you hand it to is usually a manager of another GameStop, while all the other managers of the GameStops within that district are interviewing people. Once the manager calls your name you will be asked a series of easy questions like most retail managers do: what would you do if one of your friends stole an item from the store, what would you do if a customer was angry at you and the line is long, etc. Also they will ask if you know much about the gaming industry, mostly about consoles and games, if you don't have any knowledge about these subjects then I do not recommend wasting your time on getting hired at GameStop as EVERYTHING in GameStop is about the retail end of the gaming industry. Once you're finished with the interview, you have a quick little chat with the district manager to see if you look like a bright and happy person to be working for GameStop, if you're hired you will get a call within a few days to a couple weeks later to be told that you're hired.

Interview Question – There was not really any questions I found difficult during the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Be smart, know about the company you're working for and act like GameStop is the best retail company for video games (even though there's not really any competitors for GameStop, if you have a small local game store act like GameStop is better), mention that the employees at your GameStop seem like they love working there. If you have very little knowledge about the gaming industry, you might not be fit for the job as you're expected to know and memorize everything from the information about the consoles being sold, to new releases of games, DLC's, etc.

Very Easy Interview

Greenville, SC

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in November 2011.

Interview Details – "Interviewed" with SM who I knew. He asked me if I needed a short holiday job because he was asked to hire a certain number of people. I said yes because I didn't have a job at the time. There is no interview process most of the time because if you know the SM, you can easily get a job around the holiday hiring times which is in October.

Interview Question – If I would be ok with minimum wage.   Answer Question

Game Advisor

I applied in-person and interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Had three interviews with the manager. The only frustrating part was that it took a long time for them to get back to me so I would have to call them to check the status of my application only to be asked for another interview.

Interview Question – Just simple question about my past work, education, and whether I thought could sell the PowerUp rewards effectively. Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at GameStop in May 2014.

Interview Details – interview was an hour and thirty minutes, they didn't hire immediately, a group interview in which he went around in a circle asking questions, no hard questions, asked mainly personal questions , asked to sell and reorder games alphabetically

Interview Question – Asked questions about personal life that eventually tied back to the opinion of the customer   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Game Advisor

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Walked into the store and submitted my application. I spoke to the assistant manager for a few minutes and showed interest in working there. She scheduled the interview to be 2 days later and that was pretty much it. The interview mainly consisted of questions to get to know me.

Interview Question – This was my first retail job so I didn't know what to expect, but the only question I thought was a little weird was, "What would you do if you see another employee put a game in the trash?"   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at GameStop in September 2012.

Interview Details – One interview and you just have to be up-standing and look them in the eye with confidence. They ask you questions on your favorite games and may ask you to sell them a paperclip.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Know that 7.25 is base pay for a Game Adviser but in VERY particular circumstances you could get a few extra dimes. Management will be 9.00-10.00 for a keyholder but more for an Assistant manager.

Interviewed at GameStop

Interview Details – Just be yourself, don't over think the questions. i was myself took my time to answer the questions and got the job. was interviewed by the manager and assistant manager, the manager portion wasn't that bad but the asst. tried to grill me.

Interview Question – trying to sell the manager an item   Answer Question

Game Advisor

I applied online and interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Printed off application, dropped off in person, and received a phone call within three business days asking for an interview. Went in for a 1 on 1 interview, and typical interview questions were asked.

Interview Question – How would you sell a game to an adult? And a parent with a child?   Answer Question

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!