GameStop Game Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2015

1.8

Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

The first Game Stop interview I had was in the back of the store with the store manager, the interview was pleasant and a week later I was called back for a second interview and this time the District Manager was present and the interview went well. They informed me to call back in a week for an answer, I called and the store manager told me "The DM hasn't given me an answer" and after a month he simply told me "The person that was going to quit stayed and there's no positions available". The second store I applied to was a walk-in interview with the Store Manager, the interview took place next door (Panda Express) and the SM even saved my phone number on his mobile phone to immediately give me a position, never heard back from that store. I've gone back to those two stores and they've hired if I may say, girls whom society would label as "Attractive" and who didn't have a clue about games or any gaming consoles. To be honest, I'm contemplating of giving it another shot to try to work for this company due to the fact that I love video games in general.

Interview Questions

• What skills could you bring to the store that others haven't already?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop (Irving, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

It took about an hour. The SM was very pleasant and friendly. My interview took place at a restaurant next door. It was somewhat laid back. Not too formal. He asked questions but I felt free to elaborate about things.

Games Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

I applied in-store. When asking for the application the Manager gave me a short interview. She asked me questions like, "What's your favorite game?, How can you sell this game if i were a mom?, and Can you tell me about this game and what it is about?"
    The hiring process took a day and i worked the following week.

Interview Questions

• "Can you tell me what this game is about?"   1 Answer

Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

The interview process took place at the store. Manager asked a set of pre-written questions that seemed to be standard for all Gamestop interviews. Interview was easy and manager was very laid back for the whole process. Overall it was an extremely easy interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the worst game you've ever played. (after you explain how bad it was) Now sell it to me.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non-existant

Game Advisor Interview

Interview

Basic interview questions. They asked when I would be available to work and why I would want to work at Gamestop. The interview process was fairly quick. If you have experience interviewing nothing should be too much of a surprise.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop (Houston, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

it was simple, I was 30 minutes early (not a good idea).
    A lady interviewed me she was about 19 or 20 she asked what my favorite games and game consoles were and why.
    She asked what games I played.
    -How could I handle customers
    -Past experience
    -What I could offer

Interview Questions

• She asked what games I played.
      -How could I handle customers
      -Past experience
      -What I could offer

1 Answer

Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

Interview

I walked into the store and asked the guy at the register (who it turns out was the manager) if they were hiring, he said they were. He asked me if I wanted to fill out the application in store and have a short interview in store since it was slow. After I filled out the application he sat down with me behind the counter and told me that it was basically gonna be a conversation like friends have more than an actual interview. He asked me a few basic questions, then he had one of the guys who worked there go outside and walk in as if he were a customer, and had me show how I would introduce myself to them and about our promotions. Hired right after.

Interview Questions

• Why do you wanna work here?
      Do you know what games are coming out in the next few months?
      What game systems do you have?
      Whats your favorite game?
      Whats your least favorite game?
      Whats 10% of 100?
      If a customer came in and was asking for reviews for a game you don't like?

Answer Question

Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

Interview

This is my first job. I applied and had a 1 on 1 interview during the summer. It was about 2 months later that I got a call for a group interview. It wasn't really an interview at all. Everyone got the job. The manager basically talked to us about what we'd be doing and what he expects from us. He was really cool. It was a group of 8 including myself. He told us about our training and when we'd find out about our schedules. So I guess if you make it to a group interview, you're pretty much in. One guy didn't even have an interview, he just turned in an application and got it.

Interview Questions

• (1:1 interview)
      mostly questions about your availability and school activities

Answer Question

Negotiation

There was none. It's a little bit more than minimum wage so that's good.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GameStop (Atlanta, GA) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process took about a month. I initially called and asked if they were hiring for the holiday season. The Assistant Manager told me they were and I should submit my application. So being persistent, I submitted both my resume along with my application the next day. The Store Manager said he would give me a call back in a week to set up an interview. 2 weeks later, after his week long vacation and inability to follow up, never called me back so I went up to the store to see what the deal was. I had to wait an hour just to talk to him and I found out they lost my application and I had to fill out another one (ugh). I did so and he told me to come in the next week for an interview. So the 3rd week, I came in 15 minutes earlier and the Store Manager told me he forgot about my interview. So I interviewed with the Assistant Manager and gave up on them immediately afterwards because of their incompetence and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past work experience? What does customer service mean to you? If you don't get a call next week then you didn't get the job.   Answer Question

Game Advisor Interview

Interview

I walked in dressed up in formal clothing and asked for an application for employment. I completed it on the spot and turned it in. A week or two later I returned and was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult scenario you have encountered with a customer?   Answer Question