GameStop

Updated Nov 17, 2014

1.8

105 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

I walked into the store and asked the guy at the register (who it turns out was the manager) if they were hiring, he said they were. He asked me if I wanted to fill out the application in store and have a short interview in store since it was slow. After I filled out the application he sat down with me behind the counter and told me that it was basically gonna be a conversation like friends have more than an actual interview. He asked me a few basic questions, then he had one of the guys who worked there go outside and walk in as if he were a customer, and had me show how I would introduce myself to them and about our promotions. Hired right after.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you wanna work here?
    Do you know what games are coming out in the next few months?
    What game systems do you have?
    Whats your favorite game?
    Whats your least favorite game?
    Whats 10% of 100?
    If a customer came in and was asking for reviews for a game you don't like?
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

This is my first job. I applied and had a 1 on 1 interview during the summer. It was about 2 months later that I got a call for a group interview. It wasn't really an interview at all. Everyone got the job. The manager basically talked to us about what we'd be doing and what he expects from us. He was really cool. It was a group of 8 including myself. He told us about our training and when we'd find out about our schedules. So I guess if you make it to a group interview, you're pretty much in. One guy didn't even have an interview, he just turned in an application and got it.

Interview Questions
    • (1:1 interview)
      mostly questions about your availability and school activities
        Answer Question
    There was none. It's a little bit more than minimum wage so that's good.

Game Advisor Interview

I walked in dressed up in formal clothing and asked for an application for employment. I completed it on the spot and turned it in. A week or two later I returned and was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult scenario you have encountered with a customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop.

I walked in as I was interested in working for this particular company. I asked for a paper application and filled it out in store to show that I was very serious about working there. I received a call back a few days later for a 1:1 interview. I arrived for the interview in business casual attire. We discussed why did I want to work for the company and what kind of experience did I have as a gamer and in retail. After the interview I waited about a day or two in which I was told that I had gotten the job.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me this (product) along with the rest of the items that I was purchasing   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied online – interviewed at GameStop in August 2014.

filled our application online. Process took 1 month. I went in for my first interview and it went smoothly. Basic question that even the manager admitted were "basic". Second interview took almost 3 weeks to schedule. 2 interview was in the back room of the store. Also pretty simple
    And basic one on one interview. I said I wanted to stay, but this was a seasonal part time position.

Game Advisor Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at GameStop in August 2014.

For me, it was a group interview of 4. I was not a fan of this at all,but a gave me a chance to stick out from the group. Make sure you go as early as possible and talk a lot. This was a job fair that Gamestop has every year.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Gamestop. Dont say because I like games!   Answer Question
    • How did you handle an angry customer in the past.   View Answer
    No negotiating for me, there wasn't even a second interview because the manager needed somebody immediately.

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop.

Was pretty simple. Questions like "When are people more likely to make decisions?" or "What's your reason to want to work here?" They're all straight forward. If you don't know the answer, it's fine. Chances are, not knowing the answer and admitting you don't is fine since you'll learn granted you're hired. Other questions were things like what do you do in spare time, where do you go to school, are you planning to go to college if you aren't already in college, etc. It's a simple interview. Nothing to really be afraid of. The hiring manager at the GameStop I work at was pretty chill. Only downfall was that HR was pretty bad to work with since I was still a minor when I was hired so they took forever to add me into GameStop's employee list. As someone whose never had a job before, I'm actually glad this is my first job. It's a lot of fun and quite a good start.

Just have good social skills. It really isn't that difficult to get hired at GS. Be yourself, don't be afraid to admit if you don't know something, but be willing to learn more if you're interested.

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GameStop.

Very straight forward. I received a call from the manager after having asked him a few days earlier. So I filled out an application and went into the back room for the interview. It lasted only a few minutes, I shook the man's hand and that was that. Apparently they weren't currently hiring, but kept my application on file.

Interview Questions
    • I seriously cannot remember the exact questions. I know he asked various questions about how I would help a customer if they asked my advice on a particular game title or console.   Answer Question

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at GameStop.

Had three interviews with the manager. The only frustrating part was that it took a long time for them to get back to me so I would have to call them to check the status of my application only to be asked for another interview.

Interview Questions
    • Just simple question about my past work, education, and whether I thought could sell the PowerUp rewards effectively. Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop.

Walked into the store and submitted my application. I spoke to the assistant manager for a few minutes and showed interest in working there. She scheduled the interview to be 2 days later and that was pretty much it. The interview mainly consisted of questions to get to know me.

Interview Questions
    • This was my first retail job so I didn't know what to expect, but the only question I thought was a little weird was, "What would you do if you see another employee put a game in the trash?"   Answer Question