GameStop

Getting the Interview

81 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Highland, IN

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GameStop in October 2010.

Interview Details – There were two separate interviews. Both were the same questions. The interviews began very simply as a personality assessment. They asked strength and weaknesses. I was then asked what games I was excited that were coming out and why. The last portion of the interview I was asked to sell the interviewer their pen. I was notified within a week or so after the second interview that I got the job.

Interview Question – The hardest question I came across was selling the pen. It gets you to think on your feet and try to think outside the box.   Answer Question

Rego Park, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at GameStop in September 2013.

Interview Details – I didn't really get much of an "interview". My boss is very good friends with one of my close friends and had asked him to find people for him. He asked my friend if I was an okay person and if I would screw him over. Then he proceeded to ask me what my favorite game was, and why. When I told him that I travel across the country to compete in video game tournaments he simply said "oh, so you're in the scene?" he then hired me on the spot.

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my pay. I asked for something higher than my previous job, and I received a whole dollar more. It's not A LOT, but it's something.

Mobile, AL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop in March 2014.

Interview Details – GameStop has a surprisingly lengthy interview process Assistant Manager, Store Manager, District Manager, and then Regional. I had my first interview with the Assistant Manager. He was polite and informative and told me about the "Cycle of Gaming" and their changing business outlook. The interview was about 20 minutes.

Interview Question – I suppose the most difficult question asked was a typical interview question: To explain a time you had had difficulty or difference of opinion with a manager.   View Answer

Interviewed at GameStop

Interview Details – Went to an open interview. Filled out application and waited my turn.

Interview Question – Basic questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Min. wage

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in September 2010.

Interview Details – I had an interview and was hired shortly after. Manager was polite and friendly. No complaints

Interview Question – Nothing out of the normal   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation really, it was what it was.

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process is one call to let you know you need to come in for a in person interview after you put in your application (can take weeks before they call and it has to be in a season they are hiring or if they have hiring now signs)

They will have you go into the backroom, which is usually very full of boxes and games and controllers all over the walls and sit you down to talk to you. My GameStop had a working T.V. and a PS3 hooked up in the back to play games and watch HULU.

The assistant manager (in most cases) will ask you some standard questions, like "what made you want to work for GameStop", what do you know about GameStop? And of course "Why Should we hire you over someone else?"

basically, as long as you have some knowledge in a area not on PC, like Nintendo, or PlayStation, you will be doing fine. If you tell them at any point you are unable to do sales of any sort, you lost your interview and they will move on to someone else.

Try being honest, as this is a small company, there is only gonna be at most like 10 of you all together on the schedule, if you believe you are willing to learn and understand more than you know already, let them know. Share that you want to know feedback for what you are doing wrong and if you can ask questions to improve your sales, I personally was not good at sales before, but I think with those already settup, my managers were more willing to swoop in and help and guide me than if I didn't mention I wanted to learn more.

Interview Question – The most difficult part of the interview for me was when they asked what I knew about PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, as they were going to be released that year. I didn't know as much as I wanted hardware wise, or what games were exclusive to the consoles that were coming out on release.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was not a negotiation phase, you get 7.25 an hour in Virginia Beach as a Game Advisor at any GameStop, they have to save money, as they lose a lot of it every year.

Torrance, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at GameStop in November 2012.

Interview Details – The interviews were pretty simple. we were interviewed at a bench outside the mall, and they asked me various questions about my job history and why I wanted the job. I was lucky and had tons of history working QA for various video game companies, so that really helped me out.

Interview Question – If you were a type of ice cream, what type of ice cream would you be?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiate? Ha ha, this was right after the mortgage crisis and I was paid minimum wage and happy to get it. Apparently HUNDREDS of people applied for the job. Ajob with maybe a dozen openings at various stores.

Game Advisor

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – I submitted my application got called back just a few days later was interview by a traveling manager along with the district manager and asked about any previous job expreinces or and skills i have had along with my knowledge of games and the industry

Interview Question – typical what would you do questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – easy

Westland, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in March 2012.

Interview Details – Easy interview, don't even have to really dress up for it. Lasts maybe 30-45 minutes. Basic questions, nothing a young person couldn't answer. Only one interview for the whole process. You just sit in the backroom with the Manger of the store and answer his questions, more of like a conversation than an actual interview, any questions asked are basic and can be found online.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions, all basic interview questions where asked   Answer Question

Tampa, FL

I applied in-person - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

Interview Details – Walked in dressed nicely (slacks/button-up/tie), asked if they were hiring. Guy responds "No, but we're accepting applications." So I request an application, fill it out right there, and as I'm walking out the manager pulls me into the back room and gives me a brief interview ("Why should I hire you?", "Why do you want to work here?", "What are some of your strengths and weaknesses" etc.

Interview Question – "What is the most experience you have as far as gaming is concerned?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You don't negotiate for a cashier job, you take the minimum wage and smile even if it does suck.

Interviews for Top Jobs at GameStop

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GameStop Game Advisor interview questions and advice. All 81 interview reviews posted anonymously by GameStop employees and interview candidates.