GameStop Game Advisor Interview Questions & Reviews

1.8

97 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop.

I walked in as I was interested in working for this particular company. I asked for a paper application and filled it out in store to show that I was very serious about working there. I received a call back a few days later for a 1:1 interview. I arrived for the interview in business casual attire. We discussed why did I want to work for the company and what kind of experience did I have as a gamer and in retail. After the interview I waited about a day or two in which I was told that I had gotten the job.

Interview Questions
  • Sell me this (product) along with the rest of the items that I was purchasing   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Game Advisor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop in May 2012.

It took several days to be contacted by phone. however after the second interview, i wasn't called in and it seemed like a waste of time when I could have hunted elsewhere

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Savannah, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in May 2014.

If you want this job, SHOW IT! Call and ask for a manager and then come in person with a resume. Showing persistence is Key! Be sure to emphasize your sales background, it's all about getting the numbers and selling memberships. Knowing about video games is a plus but not required

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle someone who is not interested in a Games Reward Card or reserves?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation.

Game Advisor Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

Was pretty simple. Questions like "When are people more likely to make decisions?" or "What's your reason to want to work here?" They're all straight forward. If you don't know the answer, it's fine. Chances are, not knowing the answer and admitting you don't is fine since you'll learn granted you're hired. Other questions were things like what do you do in spare time, where do you go to school, are you planning to go to college if you aren't already in college, etc. It's a simple interview. Nothing to really be afraid of. The hiring manager at the GameStop I work at was pretty chill. Only downfall was that HR was pretty bad to work with since I was still a minor when I was hired so they took forever to add me into GameStop's employee list. As someone whose never had a job before, I'm actually glad this is my first job. It's a lot of fun and quite a good start.

Just have good social skills. It really isn't that difficult to get hired at GS. Be yourself, don't be afraid to admit if you don't know something, but be willing to learn more if you're interested.

Game Advisor Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop.

Very straight forward. I received a call from the manager after having asked him a few days earlier. So I filled out an application and went into the back room for the interview. It lasted only a few minutes, I shook the man's hand and that was that. Apparently they weren't currently hiring, but kept my application on file.

Interview Questions
    • I seriously cannot remember the exact questions. I know he asked various questions about how I would help a customer if they asked my advice on a particular game title or console.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  The Woodlands, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

In order to get a job at GameStop, you normally have to wait until a job fair and there's usually two a year, one in Spring and the other in September for the holidays. Applications are to be printed from the GameStop website, and once you're finished with your application, you give it to the manager during the job fair (if you hand them a resume that will make them more than happy). The manager that you hand it to is usually a manager of another GameStop, while all the other managers of the GameStops within that district are interviewing people. Once the manager calls your name you will be asked a series of easy questions like most retail managers do: what would you do if one of your friends stole an item from the store, what would you do if a customer was angry at you and the line is long, etc. Also they will ask if you know much about the gaming industry, mostly about consoles and games, if you don't have any knowledge about these subjects then I do not recommend wasting your time on getting hired at GameStop as EVERYTHING in GameStop is about the retail end of the gaming industry. Once you're finished with the interview, you have a quick little chat with the district manager to see if you look like a bright and happy person to be working for GameStop, if you're hired you will get a call within a few days to a couple weeks later to be told that you're hired.

Interview Questions
    • There was not really any questions I found difficult during the interview.   Answer Question
    Be smart, know about the company you're working for and act like GameStop is the best retail company for video games (even though there's not really any competitors for GameStop, if you have a small local game store act like GameStop is better), mention that the employees at your GameStop seem like they love working there. If you have very little knowledge about the gaming industry, you might not be fit for the job as you're expected to know and memorize everything from the information about the consoles being sold, to new releases of games, DLC's, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Greenville, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in November 2011.

"Interviewed" with SM who I knew. He asked me if I needed a short holiday job because he was asked to hire a certain number of people. I said yes because I didn't have a job at the time. There is no interview process most of the time because if you know the SM, you can easily get a job around the holiday hiring times which is in October.

Game Advisor Interview

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at GameStop.

Had three interviews with the manager. The only frustrating part was that it took a long time for them to get back to me so I would have to call them to check the status of my application only to be asked for another interview.

Interview Questions
    • Just simple question about my past work, education, and whether I thought could sell the PowerUp rewards effectively. Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at GameStop in May 2014.

interview was an hour and thirty minutes, they didn't hire immediately, a group interview in which he went around in a circle asking questions, no hard questions, asked mainly personal questions , asked to sell and reorder games alphabetically

Interview Questions
    • Asked questions about personal life that eventually tied back to the opinion of the customer   View Answer

Game Advisor Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop.

Walked into the store and submitted my application. I spoke to the assistant manager for a few minutes and showed interest in working there. She scheduled the interview to be 2 days later and that was pretty much it. The interview mainly consisted of questions to get to know me.

Interview Questions
    • This was my first retail job so I didn't know what to expect, but the only question I thought was a little weird was, "What would you do if you see another employee put a game in the trash?"   Answer Question

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!