GameStop Game Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2015

1.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fountain Valley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GameStop (Fountain Valley, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I was asked to come to the store for my first interview and was asked very generic questions. When I passed the first interview they scheduled a second interview which I later found out was a group interview. There were at least 15 other people applying for a position at GameStop. We were asked one question and each person had to answer that question one right after the other. The middle of the circle seemed to be the best place to be at because you got to hear enough other answers to get a better idea of how to word what you want to say and you didn't seem to have your answer stolen from you as was evident as when the people at the end of the circle had next to nothing to say or the same answers that their peers had said before them.

Interview Questions

• What type of car would you be if you were a car and why   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rock Hill, SC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GameStop (Rock Hill, SC) in November 2014.

Interview

I was asked to come back for an interview after turning my application into the manager in person. The interview itself was in a small room in the back of the store. Business Casual dress was acceptable anything more and i feel you would have been over dressed. They asked standard interview questions plus game specific questions. As long as you know that games have ratings and loosely what those ratings imply you will do fine.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite game.   1 Answer

Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

Interview

I walked into the store and asked the guy at the register (who it turns out was the manager) if they were hiring, he said they were. He asked me if I wanted to fill out the application in store and have a short interview in store since it was slow. After I filled out the application he sat down with me behind the counter and told me that it was basically gonna be a conversation like friends have more than an actual interview. He asked me a few basic questions, then he had one of the guys who worked there go outside and walk in as if he were a customer, and had me show how I would introduce myself to them and about our promotions. Hired right after.

Interview Questions

• Why do you wanna work here?
      Do you know what games are coming out in the next few months?
      What game systems do you have?
      Whats your favorite game?
      Whats your least favorite game?
      Whats 10% of 100?
      If a customer came in and was asking for reviews for a game you don't like?

Answer Question

Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

Interview

This is my first job. I applied and had a 1 on 1 interview during the summer. It was about 2 months later that I got a call for a group interview. It wasn't really an interview at all. Everyone got the job. The manager basically talked to us about what we'd be doing and what he expects from us. He was really cool. It was a group of 8 including myself. He told us about our training and when we'd find out about our schedules. So I guess if you make it to a group interview, you're pretty much in. One guy didn't even have an interview, he just turned in an application and got it.

Interview Questions

• (1:1 interview)
      mostly questions about your availability and school activities

Answer Question

Negotiation

There was none. It's a little bit more than minimum wage so that's good.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GameStop (Atlanta, GA) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process took about a month. I initially called and asked if they were hiring for the holiday season. The Assistant Manager told me they were and I should submit my application. So being persistent, I submitted both my resume along with my application the next day. The Store Manager said he would give me a call back in a week to set up an interview. 2 weeks later, after his week long vacation and inability to follow up, never called me back so I went up to the store to see what the deal was. I had to wait an hour just to talk to him and I found out they lost my application and I had to fill out another one (ugh). I did so and he told me to come in the next week for an interview. So the 3rd week, I came in 15 minutes earlier and the Store Manager told me he forgot about my interview. So I interviewed with the Assistant Manager and gave up on them immediately afterwards because of their incompetence and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past work experience? What does customer service mean to you? If you don't get a call next week then you didn't get the job.   Answer Question

Game Advisor Interview

Interview

I walked in dressed up in formal clothing and asked for an application for employment. I completed it on the spot and turned it in. A week or two later I returned and was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult scenario you have encountered with a customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

I walked in as I was interested in working for this particular company. I asked for a paper application and filled it out in store to show that I was very serious about working there. I received a call back a few days later for a 1:1 interview. I arrived for the interview in business casual attire. We discussed why did I want to work for the company and what kind of experience did I have as a gamer and in retail. After the interview I waited about a day or two in which I was told that I had gotten the job.

Interview Questions

• Sell me this (product) along with the rest of the items that I was purchasing   Answer Question

Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at GameStop in August 2014.

Interview

For me, it was a group interview of 4. I was not a fan of this at all,but a gave me a chance to stick out from the group. Make sure you go as early as possible and talk a lot. This was a job fair that Gamestop has every year.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Gamestop. Dont say because I like games!   Answer Question
    • How did you handle an angry customer in the past.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiating for me, there wasn't even a second interview because the manager needed somebody immediately.

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online – interviewed at GameStop (Knoxville, TN) in August 2014.

Interview

filled our application online. Process took 1 month. I went in for my first interview and it went smoothly. Basic question that even the manager admitted were "basic". Second interview took almost 3 weeks to schedule. 2 interview was in the back room of the store. Also pretty simple
    And basic one on one interview. I said I wanted to stay, but this was a seasonal part time position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your last 2 jobs?   1 Answer

Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Was pretty simple. Questions like "When are people more likely to make decisions?" or "What's your reason to want to work here?" They're all straight forward. If you don't know the answer, it's fine. Chances are, not knowing the answer and admitting you don't is fine since you'll learn granted you're hired. Other questions were things like what do you do in spare time, where do you go to school, are you planning to go to college if you aren't already in college, etc. It's a simple interview. Nothing to really be afraid of. The hiring manager at the GameStop I work at was pretty chill. Only downfall was that HR was pretty bad to work with since I was still a minor when I was hired so they took forever to add me into GameStop's employee list. As someone whose never had a job before, I'm actually glad this is my first job. It's a lot of fun and quite a good start.

Negotiation

Just have good social skills. It really isn't that difficult to get hired at GS. Be yourself, don't be afraid to admit if you don't know something, but be willing to learn more if you're interested.