GameStop

Average Difficulty
95 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Torrance, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at GameStop in November 2012.

Interview Details – The interviews were pretty simple. we were interviewed at a bench outside the mall, and they asked me various questions about my job history and why I wanted the job. I was lucky and had tons of history working QA for various video game companies, so that really helped me out.

Interview Question – If you were a type of ice cream, what type of ice cream would you be?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiate? Ha ha, this was right after the mortgage crisis and I was paid minimum wage and happy to get it. Apparently HUNDREDS of people applied for the job. Ajob with maybe a dozen openings at various stores.

Game Advisor

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – I submitted my application got called back just a few days later was interview by a traveling manager along with the district manager and asked about any previous job expreinces or and skills i have had along with my knowledge of games and the industry

Interview Question – typical what would you do questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – easy

Westland, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in March 2012.

Interview Details – Easy interview, don't even have to really dress up for it. Lasts maybe 30-45 minutes. Basic questions, nothing a young person couldn't answer. Only one interview for the whole process. You just sit in the backroom with the Manger of the store and answer his questions, more of like a conversation than an actual interview, any questions asked are basic and can be found online.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions, all basic interview questions where asked   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tampa, FL

I applied in-person - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

Interview Details – Walked in dressed nicely (slacks/button-up/tie), asked if they were hiring. Guy responds "No, but we're accepting applications." So I request an application, fill it out right there, and as I'm walking out the manager pulls me into the back room and gives me a brief interview ("Why should I hire you?", "Why do you want to work here?", "What are some of your strengths and weaknesses" etc.

Interview Question – "What is the most experience you have as far as gaming is concerned?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You don't negotiate for a cashier job, you take the minimum wage and smile even if it does suck.

Saint Robert, MO

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

Interview Details – Known the manager for years, walked in and was offered job.

Mountain View, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at GameStop in October 2009.

Interview Details – The whole process starts with dropping off a resume at one of the stores. Depending on the time of year and the needs of the store, you can get a call back in a few days or months later (if at all). When you get called in you may talk with a Manager or Assistant Manager. The interview covers everything you would expect (Background, gaming preferences, how-to-pitch to customers, etc.).

Interview Question – There may be a question that is meant to trip you up. It depends on the manager but expect a question that attempts to ascertain whether or not you would steal from the store.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer is pretty standard for an entry level retail job. There is no negotiation for the price (set by corporate) and it's hourly wages. After you are accepted, the next steps usually involve a lot of paperwork.

Springfield, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in January 2009.

Interview Details – Submit an application and received a call to come in for in person interview.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult its more a personality type of questions to determine if you can work with retail position   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty much near min wage hourly

Game Advisor

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – I was a regular customer whpo just so happened to get to know the assistant manager and after talking with him one day, he asked if I wanted the job. I was not interviewed, did not fill out an application and did not even meet the store manager until my first day.
Once I became a manager and started interviewing other potential Game Advisors, we incorporated muti-level interviews that involved group interviews and one on one interviews with multiple store managers.

Interview Question – Alphabetize the following The Sims, The SImpsons, The Sims: Bustin' Out   View Answer

Game Advisor

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Basically the questions go along the line of video game experience, and the standard questions that many other companies ask such as "name a situation in which you went above and beyond to help a customer out". Basically if you have a pulse and know the alphabet you're hired.

Interview Question – There really isn't a whole lot of difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I would advise not taking the offer. You end up hating video games after this job. Only take it if you're REALLY desperate for a minimum wage dead end job.

Game Advisor

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Not really a big deal if you have previous employment experience. Go in there knowing your favorite series, they'll ask! Say something to stand out (don't say COD). They are definitely partial to girls, honestly. If you're a girl, you know your games, and your a hard worker, you have a better chance than a guy with the same points. They will ask how you'd handle a certain situation (manager needs you and you're with a customer, customer is upset with you or a coworker, how do you handle a situation you're unsure of, etc.) Know your availability. That's about it.

Interview Question – My previous job was privately owned, so I was taken aback by the all the situational questions. About 75% of the interview questions were about how you'd handle a given situation. The most difficult for me personally was how I would handle a difficult coworker, seeing as all of them would be above me.   Answer Question