GameStop Game Advisor Interview Questions & Reviews

1.8

97 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in September 2010.

I had an interview and was hired shortly after. Manager was polite and friendly. No complaints

Interview Questions
no negotiation really, it was what it was.

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

The interview process is one call to let you know you need to come in for a in person interview after you put in your application (can take weeks before they call and it has to be in a season they are hiring or if they have hiring now signs)

They will have you go into the backroom, which is usually very full of boxes and games and controllers all over the walls and sit you down to talk to you. My GameStop had a working T.V. and a PS3 hooked up in the back to play games and watch HULU.

The assistant manager (in most cases) will ask you some standard questions, like "what made you want to work for GameStop", what do you know about GameStop? And of course "Why Should we hire you over someone else?"

basically, as long as you have some knowledge in a area not on PC, like Nintendo, or PlayStation, you will be doing fine. If you tell them at any point you are unable to do sales of any sort, you lost your interview and they will move on to someone else.

Try being honest, as this is a small company, there is only gonna be at most like 10 of you all together on the schedule, if you believe you are willing to learn and understand more than you know already, let them know. Share that you want to know feedback for what you are doing wrong and if you can ask questions to improve your sales, I personally was not good at sales before, but I think with those already settup, my managers were more willing to swoop in and help and guide me than if I didn't mention I wanted to learn more.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the interview for me was when they asked what I knew about PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, as they were going to be released that year. I didn't know as much as I wanted hardware wise, or what games were exclusive to the consoles that were coming out on release.   View Answer
    There was not a negotiation phase, you get 7.25 an hour in Virginia Beach as a Game Advisor at any GameStop, they have to save money, as they lose a lot of it every year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at GameStop in November 2012.

The interviews were pretty simple. we were interviewed at a bench outside the mall, and they asked me various questions about my job history and why I wanted the job. I was lucky and had tons of history working QA for various video game companies, so that really helped me out.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a type of ice cream, what type of ice cream would you be?   View Answer
    Negotiate? Ha ha, this was right after the mortgage crisis and I was paid minimum wage and happy to get it. Apparently HUNDREDS of people applied for the job. Ajob with maybe a dozen openings at various stores.

Game Advisor Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

I submitted my application got called back just a few days later was interview by a traveling manager along with the district manager and asked about any previous job expreinces or and skills i have had along with my knowledge of games and the industry

easy

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Westland, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westland, MI

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in March 2012.

Easy interview, don't even have to really dress up for it. Lasts maybe 30-45 minutes. Basic questions, nothing a young person couldn't answer. Only one interview for the whole process. You just sit in the backroom with the Manger of the store and answer his questions, more of like a conversation than an actual interview, any questions asked are basic and can be found online.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions, all basic interview questions where asked   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

Walked in dressed nicely (slacks/button-up/tie), asked if they were hiring. Guy responds "No, but we're accepting applications." So I request an application, fill it out right there, and as I'm walking out the manager pulls me into the back room and gives me a brief interview ("Why should I hire you?", "Why do you want to work here?", "What are some of your strengths and weaknesses" etc.

Interview Questions
    • "What is the most experience you have as far as gaming is concerned?"   View Answer
    You don't negotiate for a cashier job, you take the minimum wage and smile even if it does suck.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Robert, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Robert, MO

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

Known the manager for years, walked in and was offered job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at GameStop in October 2009.

The whole process starts with dropping off a resume at one of the stores. Depending on the time of year and the needs of the store, you can get a call back in a few days or months later (if at all). When you get called in you may talk with a Manager or Assistant Manager. The interview covers everything you would expect (Background, gaming preferences, how-to-pitch to customers, etc.).

Interview Questions
    • There may be a question that is meant to trip you up. It depends on the manager but expect a question that attempts to ascertain whether or not you would steal from the store.   Answer Question
    The offer is pretty standard for an entry level retail job. There is no negotiation for the price (set by corporate) and it's hourly wages. After you are accepted, the next steps usually involve a lot of paperwork.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Springfield, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, NJ

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in January 2009.

Submit an application and received a call to come in for in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult its more a personality type of questions to determine if you can work with retail position   Answer Question
    Pretty much near min wage hourly

Game Advisor Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

I was a regular customer whpo just so happened to get to know the assistant manager and after talking with him one day, he asked if I wanted the job. I was not interviewed, did not fill out an application and did not even meet the store manager until my first day.
    Once I became a manager and started interviewing other potential Game Advisors, we incorporated muti-level interviews that involved group interviews and one on one interviews with multiple store managers.

Interview Questions
    • Alphabetize the following The Sims, The SImpsons, The Sims: Bustin' Out   View Answer