GameStop Game Advisor Interview Questions

1.8

99 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Virginia Beach, VA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

The interview process is one call to let you know you need to come in for a in person interview after you put in your application (can take weeks before they call and it has to be in a season they are hiring or if they have hiring now signs)

They will have you go into the backroom, which is usually very full of boxes and games and controllers all over the walls and sit you down to talk to you. My GameStop had a working T.V. and a PS3 hooked up in the back to play games and watch HULU.

The assistant manager (in most cases) will ask you some standard questions, like "what made you want to work for GameStop", what do you know about GameStop? And of course "Why Should we hire you over someone else?"

basically, as long as you have some knowledge in a area not on PC, like Nintendo, or PlayStation, you will be doing fine. If you tell them at any point you are unable to do sales of any sort, you lost your interview and they will move on to someone else.

Try being honest, as this is a small company, there is only gonna be at most like 10 of you all together on the schedule, if you believe you are willing to learn and understand more than you know already, let them know. Share that you want to know feedback for what you are doing wrong and if you can ask questions to improve your sales, I personally was not good at sales before, but I think with those already settup, my managers were more willing to swoop in and help and guide me than if I didn't mention I wanted to learn more.

Interview Questions
  • The most difficult part of the interview for me was when they asked what I knew about PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, as they were going to be released that year. I didn't know as much as I wanted hardware wise, or what games were exclusive to the consoles that were coming out on release.   View Answer
There was not a negotiation phase, you get 7.25 an hour in Virginia Beach as a Game Advisor at any GameStop, they have to save money, as they lose a lot of it every year.

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Robert, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Robert, MO

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

Known the manager for years, walked in and was offered job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied in-person - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

Walked in dressed nicely (slacks/button-up/tie), asked if they were hiring. Guy responds "No, but we're accepting applications." So I request an application, fill it out right there, and as I'm walking out the manager pulls me into the back room and gives me a brief interview ("Why should I hire you?", "Why do you want to work here?", "What are some of your strengths and weaknesses" etc.

Interview Questions
    • "What is the most experience you have as far as gaming is concerned?"   View Answer
    You don't negotiate for a cashier job, you take the minimum wage and smile even if it does suck.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  El Centro, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Centro, CA

I applied through other source - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

I was told I will get a call in around a week or two it has barely been two days. He went straight into asking the question and explain what gamestop is all about. the thing they want a an employer to do is keep advertising like their power-up card to every customer over and over so if you tell them a similar past experience where you had to do it repetitive with out getting unmotivated because the past twenty people didn't buy it, this will be a plus.

Interview Questions
    • The questions that he asked are common for example, Why do you want to work at gamestop? Do you have any past work experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop.

Really basic. Asked what sort of games I played.

Interview Questions
    I had a higher dollar amount on my application, but got minimum wage to start.

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop.

I've been to this specific GameStop a few times to ask about hiring and to drop off two applications. The first time around, I called a couple of times to follow up, and eventually the manager simply told me they weren't looking to hire anymore. A couple of months later, I left them another application and got a call a week later about an interview.

The interview was with the manager, and it was more like a casual conversation about what GameStop does and what they're about along with simple questions about past experiences and consoles I'm into. He was definitely looking for how well I converse and how friendly I was, because customer service was a big chunk of the conversation. He also talked about what responsibilities a Game Advisor would need to take on. Before I knew it, the topic was on scheduling, and I didn't realize I'd been hired until he told me to come back next week to fill out paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • Do you know why GameStop sells pre-owned games?   View Answer
    Not much room for negotiation. Starting pay is minimum wage to $8.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GameStop in September 2013.

1 interview. Called me for an interview. I turned an application in to the GameStop that I wanted to work for in early August then I got a call back in early September for an interview at a different GameStop store. Hired me on the spot but to be part of the payroll I had to show-up on the following Sunday for orientation. If you didn't show up you would have to wait 30 days to get hired again.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult at all just basic retail questions. One questions I remember was, " if a supervisor told you to stop what your doing and do something for him." "What would you do".   View Answer

Only for seasonal with a chance of getting added on as part-time after the holiday season. Would have to work at two different GameStop's if the need persist. Minimum wage. Crazy hours like 9pm-2am on a Monday night. Bad employee benefits like 15% off games which if you do the math, games mostly sell for 60 dollars new so 15% of that would only be 9 dollars off.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Napoleon, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Napoleon, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in September 2013.

Be as professional as possible. Know what is going on in the business and know that customer service is the key to success !

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rego Park, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rego Park, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at GameStop in September 2013.

I didn't really get much of an "interview". My boss is very good friends with one of my close friends and had asked him to find people for him. He asked my friend if I was an okay person and if I would screw him over. Then he proceeded to ask me what my favorite game was, and why. When I told him that I travel across the country to compete in video game tournaments he simply said "oh, so you're in the scene?" he then hired me on the spot.

I was able to negotiate my pay. I asked for something higher than my previous job, and I received a whole dollar more. It's not A LOT, but it's something.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop in August 2013.

Paper application. Usually one or two interviews with Store Manager or ASM. People skills are a must! Previous work experience, especially in retail or customer service is a big help. Video game knowledge is helpful but not required.

Interview Questions
    • Best/worst customer experience. Have/meet sales quotas/goals? 3 year plan. Tell about a time when you were late. What does good customer service mean to you? Favorite video game/system. Favorite subject is school.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Offered part-time entry level position for a little over minimum wage.