GameStop Game Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

1.8

Game Advisor Interview

Interview

Went to an open interview. Filled out application and waited my turn.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Min. wage

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop (Mobile, AL) in March 2014.

Interview

GameStop has a surprisingly lengthy interview process Assistant Manager, Store Manager, District Manager, and then Regional. I had my first interview with the Assistant Manager. He was polite and informative and told me about the "Cycle of Gaming" and their changing business outlook. The interview was about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• I suppose the most difficult question asked was a typical interview question: To explain a time you had had difficulty or difference of opinion with a manager.   1 Answer

Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GameStop in March 2014.

Interview

easiest thing ever manager makes you laugh to make you feel more comfortable, best interviews ive ever had. Any one whos looking for a great job to sale games and have you become a part of the gamer community this is the best way to go about it. you'll love working with people and your team members after all "power to the Players", GameStop's motto awesome right.

Interview Questions

• what game would you suggest for me to buy that's not an fps game   1 Answer

Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

I submitted my application got called back just a few days later was interview by a traveling manager along with the district manager and asked about any previous job expreinces or and skills i have had along with my knowledge of games and the industry

Interview Questions

Negotiation

easy

Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

I was a regular customer whpo just so happened to get to know the assistant manager and after talking with him one day, he asked if I wanted the job. I was not interviewed, did not fill out an application and did not even meet the store manager until my first day.
    Once I became a manager and started interviewing other potential Game Advisors, we incorporated muti-level interviews that involved group interviews and one on one interviews with multiple store managers.

Interview Questions

• Alphabetize the following The Sims, The SImpsons, The Sims: Bustin' Out   1 Answer

Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Basically the questions go along the line of video game experience, and the standard questions that many other companies ask such as "name a situation in which you went above and beyond to help a customer out". Basically if you have a pulse and know the alphabet you're hired.

Interview Questions

• There really isn't a whole lot of difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I would advise not taking the offer. You end up hating video games after this job. Only take it if you're REALLY desperate for a minimum wage dead end job.

Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Not really a big deal if you have previous employment experience. Go in there knowing your favorite series, they'll ask! Say something to stand out (don't say COD). They are definitely partial to girls, honestly. If you're a girl, you know your games, and your a hard worker, you have a better chance than a guy with the same points. They will ask how you'd handle a certain situation (manager needs you and you're with a customer, customer is upset with you or a coworker, how do you handle a situation you're unsure of, etc.) Know your availability. That's about it.

Interview Questions

• My previous job was privately owned, so I was taken aback by the all the situational questions. About 75% of the interview questions were about how you'd handle a given situation. The most difficult for me personally was how I would handle a difficult coworker, seeing as all of them would be above me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at GameStop (Buffalo, NY).

Interview

Asked for a resume and handed it in in a few days to the store manager. Got a call to have an in-person interview and went over my goals and resume. Let me know right there and then that I got the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Was told up front about the hourly rate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GameStop (The Woodlands, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

In order to get a job at GameStop, you normally have to wait until a job fair and there's usually two a year, one in Spring and the other in September for the holidays. Applications are to be printed from the GameStop website, and once you're finished with your application, you give it to the manager during the job fair (if you hand them a resume that will make them more than happy). The manager that you hand it to is usually a manager of another GameStop, while all the other managers of the GameStops within that district are interviewing people. Once the manager calls your name you will be asked a series of easy questions like most retail managers do: what would you do if one of your friends stole an item from the store, what would you do if a customer was angry at you and the line is long, etc. Also they will ask if you know much about the gaming industry, mostly about consoles and games, if you don't have any knowledge about these subjects then I do not recommend wasting your time on getting hired at GameStop as EVERYTHING in GameStop is about the retail end of the gaming industry. Once you're finished with the interview, you have a quick little chat with the district manager to see if you look like a bright and happy person to be working for GameStop, if you're hired you will get a call within a few days to a couple weeks later to be told that you're hired.

Interview Questions

• There was not really any questions I found difficult during the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be smart, know about the company you're working for and act like GameStop is the best retail company for video games (even though there's not really any competitors for GameStop, if you have a small local game store act like GameStop is better), mention that the employees at your GameStop seem like they love working there. If you have very little knowledge about the gaming industry, you might not be fit for the job as you're expected to know and memorize everything from the information about the consoles being sold, to new releases of games, DLC's, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop (Virginia Beach, VA) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview process is one call to let you know you need to come in for a in person interview after you put in your application (can take weeks before they call and it has to be in a season they are hiring or if they have hiring now signs)

They will have you go into the backroom, which is usually very full of boxes and games and controllers all over the walls and sit you down to talk to you. My GameStop had a working T.V. and a PS3 hooked up in the back to play games and watch HULU.

The assistant manager (in most cases) will ask you some standard questions, like "what made you want to work for GameStop", what do you know about GameStop? And of course "Why Should we hire you over someone else?"

basically, as long as you have some knowledge in a area not on PC, like Nintendo, or PlayStation, you will be doing fine. If you tell them at any point you are unable to do sales of any sort, you lost your interview and they will move on to someone else.

Try being honest, as this is a small company, there is only gonna be at most like 10 of you all together on the schedule, if you believe you are willing to learn and understand more than you know already, let them know. Share that you want to know feedback for what you are doing wrong and if you can ask questions to improve your sales, I personally was not good at sales before, but I think with those already settup, my managers were more willing to swoop in and help and guide me than if I didn't mention I wanted to learn more.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part of the interview for me was when they asked what I knew about PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, as they were going to be released that year. I didn't know as much as I wanted hardware wise, or what games were exclusive to the consoles that were coming out on release.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was not a negotiation phase, you get 7.25 an hour in Virginia Beach as a Game Advisor at any GameStop, they have to save money, as they lose a lot of it every year.