GameStop

1.8

107 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop.

Really basic. Asked what sort of games I played.

Interview Questions
I had a higher dollar amount on my application, but got minimum wage to start.

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop.

I've been to this specific GameStop a few times to ask about hiring and to drop off two applications. The first time around, I called a couple of times to follow up, and eventually the manager simply told me they weren't looking to hire anymore. A couple of months later, I left them another application and got a call a week later about an interview.

The interview was with the manager, and it was more like a casual conversation about what GameStop does and what they're about along with simple questions about past experiences and consoles I'm into. He was definitely looking for how well I converse and how friendly I was, because customer service was a big chunk of the conversation. He also talked about what responsibilities a Game Advisor would need to take on. Before I knew it, the topic was on scheduling, and I didn't realize I'd been hired until he told me to come back next week to fill out paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • Do you know why GameStop sells pre-owned games?   View Answer
    Not much room for negotiation. Starting pay is minimum wage to $8.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Napoleon, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Napoleon, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GameStop in September 2013.

Be as professional as possible. Know what is going on in the business and know that customer service is the key to success !

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rego Park, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rego Park, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GameStop in September 2013.

I didn't really get much of an "interview". My boss is very good friends with one of my close friends and had asked him to find people for him. He asked my friend if I was an okay person and if I would screw him over. Then he proceeded to ask me what my favorite game was, and why. When I told him that I travel across the country to compete in video game tournaments he simply said "oh, so you're in the scene?" he then hired me on the spot.

I was able to negotiate my pay. I asked for something higher than my previous job, and I received a whole dollar more. It's not A LOT, but it's something.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GameStop in September 2013.

1 interview. Called me for an interview. I turned an application in to the GameStop that I wanted to work for in early August then I got a call back in early September for an interview at a different GameStop store. Hired me on the spot but to be part of the payroll I had to show-up on the following Sunday for orientation. If you didn't show up you would have to wait 30 days to get hired again.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult at all just basic retail questions. One questions I remember was, " if a supervisor told you to stop what your doing and do something for him." "What would you do".   View Answer

Only for seasonal with a chance of getting added on as part-time after the holiday season. Would have to work at two different GameStop's if the need persist. Minimum wage. Crazy hours like 9pm-2am on a Monday night. Bad employee benefits like 15% off games which if you do the math, games mostly sell for 60 dollars new so 15% of that would only be 9 dollars off.

Game Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GameStop in September 2013.

They never have available applications so you need to print one out and bring it to them in person, with a resume. If you even have a resume attached to it, you're the first people they look at. The interview process is about customer service, not all the game knowledge you have. They will hire you more for your customer skills than your knowledge of games, so keep that in mind. But other than that the interview is like nothing. You get the job, the bam, minimum wage. They don't even tell you the wage in the interview unless you ask.

No negotiation what-so-ever.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop in August 2013.

Paper application. Usually one or two interviews with Store Manager or ASM. People skills are a must! Previous work experience, especially in retail or customer service is a big help. Video game knowledge is helpful but not required.

Interview Questions
    • Best/worst customer experience. Have/meet sales quotas/goals? 3 year plan. Tell about a time when you were late. What does good customer service mean to you? Favorite video game/system. Favorite subject is school.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Offered part-time entry level position for a little over minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GameStop in July 2013.

After applying to multiple GameStops in my area I finally received a phone call for an interview approximately 2 months after I had applied. The important thing to remember is that this is a customer service and selling job; not just for game nerds. I was asked questions about my selling technique and if I knew about the upcoming games (which I was most excited about). Afterwards, he wanted me to call back tomorrow to schedule a 2nd interview with the store manager; but he said that I also had the job essentially.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a game you would immediately pull off the shelves if you could. Then sell me that game.   Answer Question

As much as I would love working at GameStop, I got catcalled and called names on the way to my car after the interview (I'm a female). I decided that it just wasn't worth it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop.

Usually you pickup an application and wait for a hiring period, around Christmas is a high volume hire period. If you play games and can talk to people without being to weird or awkward then you shouldn't have a problem.

Another way to get the job is to be a regular customer who pre-orders games. If you get to know the staff and manager you have a higher likelihood of getting a job.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any issues with cold calling customers and selling/suggesting "xyz" product?   View Answer
    They told me what my starting pay was going to be and that was it. No real negotiation for this position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Park, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Park, NJ

I applied in-person – interviewed at GameStop in May 2013.

The manager though friendly seemed simply too busy for applicants. I applied in person as they only do paper applications (which you print out from their company website). I checked in each week for several months, each time hearing that he hasn't had time to review my application and at a few points even being asked to resubmit one with any applicable updates which was frustrating considering how badly I originally wanted to work in a videogame store.

One day, after checking on the status of my application, I was asked if I had time, right there and then, for an interview which caught me off guard since I was in casual wear at the time and not dressed for an interview.

I was led to the backroom which made me feel surprisingly at home since it was spacious, refreshingly cold and resembled my old room with shelves of videogames everywhere.

The manager told me in advance the interview could very short or very long depending on how long we both wanted it to be, the number of questions he had and most importantly, my responses to them. The interview went by rather quickly which made me wonder if that was a good sign or not but I was confident given how friendly he was and how pleased he seemed with my answers.

Two weeks later I was informed that I got the job and was also told that the deciding factor surprisingly was my previous job as he's a regular customer there and deeply admired their approach to customer service, going as far as to say that if he had interviewed me prior to gaining that job, I may not have made the cut.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your greatest accomplishment so far.   View Answer
    There was no negoitation. I was given a take it or leave it offer for a minimum wage job with the promise of advancement if I stick with it long enough. I only accepted the offer because no one else was willing to hire me at the time and also because I thought the work would be much easier than it really is.