GameStop

Average Difficulty
95 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Buffalo, NY

I applied in-person and interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Asked for a resume and handed it in in a few days to the store manager. Got a call to have an in-person interview and went over my goals and resume. Let me know right there and then that I got the job.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself long-term here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was told up front about the hourly rate.

Moline, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at GameStop in November 2009.

Interview Details – Handed in an application, had one interview, had to read handbook, hired for temporary seasonal position, kept on afterwards for good work ethic

Interview Question – What is your favorite gaming platform and why?   View Answer

El Centro, CA

I applied through other source - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was told I will get a call in around a week or two it has barely been two days. He went straight into asking the question and explain what gamestop is all about. the thing they want a an employer to do is keep advertising like their power-up card to every customer over and over so if you tell them a similar past experience where you had to do it repetitive with out getting unmotivated because the past twenty people didn't buy it, this will be a plus.

Interview Question – The questions that he asked are common for example, Why do you want to work at gamestop? Do you have any past work experience?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cartersville, GA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in February 2013.

Interview Details – Apply and when you go in to talk to the manager, don't be shy, be upfront and confident. The interviews are usually two-parters, the first to determine your character, the second to determine what you know about video games.

Interview Question – "Who is your favorite developer?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation, the company is tightly wound and falls into chaos when things don't run exactly right.

Troy, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at GameStop in July 2013.

Interview Details – After applying to multiple GameStops in my area I finally received a phone call for an interview approximately 2 months after I had applied. The important thing to remember is that this is a customer service and selling job; not just for game nerds. I was asked questions about my selling technique and if I knew about the upcoming games (which I was most excited about). Afterwards, he wanted me to call back tomorrow to schedule a 2nd interview with the store manager; but he said that I also had the job essentially.

Interview Question – Tell me about a game you would immediately pull off the shelves if you could. Then sell me that game.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – As much as I would love working at GameStop, I got catcalled and called names on the way to my car after the interview (I'm a female). I decided that it just wasn't worth it.

Very Easy Interview

Arlington, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at GameStop in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview primarily consisted of questions relating to how well I work with others and my knowledge of software and hardware.

Napoleon, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in September 2013.

Interview Details – Be as professional as possible. Know what is going on in the business and know that customer service is the key to success !

Interview Question – All the questions were expected and not difficult   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Columbus, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Really basic. Asked what sort of games I played.

Interview Question – What is your favorite game?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I had a higher dollar amount on my application, but got minimum wage to start.

Game Advisor

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – I've been to this specific GameStop a few times to ask about hiring and to drop off two applications. The first time around, I called a couple of times to follow up, and eventually the manager simply told me they weren't looking to hire anymore. A couple of months later, I left them another application and got a call a week later about an interview.

The interview was with the manager, and it was more like a casual conversation about what GameStop does and what they're about along with simple questions about past experiences and consoles I'm into. He was definitely looking for how well I converse and how friendly I was, because customer service was a big chunk of the conversation. He also talked about what responsibilities a Game Advisor would need to take on. Before I knew it, the topic was on scheduling, and I didn't realize I'd been hired until he told me to come back next week to fill out paperwork.

Interview Question – Do you know why GameStop sells pre-owned games?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation. Starting pay is minimum wage to $8.

Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GameStop in September 2013.

Interview Details – 1 interview. Called me for an interview. I turned an application in to the GameStop that I wanted to work for in early August then I got a call back in early September for an interview at a different GameStop store. Hired me on the spot but to be part of the payroll I had to show-up on the following Sunday for orientation. If you didn't show up you would have to wait 30 days to get hired again.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult at all just basic retail questions. One questions I remember was, " if a supervisor told you to stop what your doing and do something for him." "What would you do".   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Only for seasonal with a chance of getting added on as part-time after the holiday season. Would have to work at two different GameStop's if the need persist. Minimum wage. Crazy hours like 9pm-2am on a Monday night. Bad employee benefits like 15% off games which if you do the math, games mostly sell for 60 dollars new so 15% of that would only be 9 dollars off.