GameStop Game Advisor Interview Questions

1.8

99 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Napoleon, OH
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Napoleon, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in September 2013.

Be as professional as possible. Know what is going on in the business and know that customer service is the key to success !

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop.

Really basic. Asked what sort of games I played.

Interview Questions
    I had a higher dollar amount on my application, but got minimum wage to start.

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop.

I've been to this specific GameStop a few times to ask about hiring and to drop off two applications. The first time around, I called a couple of times to follow up, and eventually the manager simply told me they weren't looking to hire anymore. A couple of months later, I left them another application and got a call a week later about an interview.

The interview was with the manager, and it was more like a casual conversation about what GameStop does and what they're about along with simple questions about past experiences and consoles I'm into. He was definitely looking for how well I converse and how friendly I was, because customer service was a big chunk of the conversation. He also talked about what responsibilities a Game Advisor would need to take on. Before I knew it, the topic was on scheduling, and I didn't realize I'd been hired until he told me to come back next week to fill out paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • Do you know why GameStop sells pre-owned games?   View Answer
    Not much room for negotiation. Starting pay is minimum wage to $8.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GameStop in September 2013.

1 interview. Called me for an interview. I turned an application in to the GameStop that I wanted to work for in early August then I got a call back in early September for an interview at a different GameStop store. Hired me on the spot but to be part of the payroll I had to show-up on the following Sunday for orientation. If you didn't show up you would have to wait 30 days to get hired again.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult at all just basic retail questions. One questions I remember was, " if a supervisor told you to stop what your doing and do something for him." "What would you do".   View Answer

Only for seasonal with a chance of getting added on as part-time after the holiday season. Would have to work at two different GameStop's if the need persist. Minimum wage. Crazy hours like 9pm-2am on a Monday night. Bad employee benefits like 15% off games which if you do the math, games mostly sell for 60 dollars new so 15% of that would only be 9 dollars off.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at GameStop in March 2012.

Mostly concerned with my ability for:
     - Sales
     - Customer Service
     - Retail
     - Organization
     - Gaming Experience
     - Communication
     - Money Handeling

Interview Questions
    • Name a situation in which you were trying to sell someone something they didn't want?   View Answer
    I was offered to be paid minimum wage and receive minimum hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Springfield, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in July 2009.

I walked in and asked if they were hiring. Turns out they were - I handed them my resume and was invited to interview a week later. Basic interview questions done by the manager of the store and I was hired shortly after.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Woodland Park, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Park, NJ

I applied in-person - interviewed at GameStop in May 2013.

The manager though friendly seemed simply too busy for applicants. I applied in person as they only do paper applications (which you print out from their company website). I checked in each week for several months, each time hearing that he hasn't had time to review my application and at a few points even being asked to resubmit one with any applicable updates which was frustrating considering how badly I originally wanted to work in a videogame store.

One day, after checking on the status of my application, I was asked if I had time, right there and then, for an interview which caught me off guard since I was in casual wear at the time and not dressed for an interview.

I was led to the backroom which made me feel surprisingly at home since it was spacious, refreshingly cold and resembled my old room with shelves of videogames everywhere.

The manager told me in advance the interview could very short or very long depending on how long we both wanted it to be, the number of questions he had and most importantly, my responses to them. The interview went by rather quickly which made me wonder if that was a good sign or not but I was confident given how friendly he was and how pleased he seemed with my answers.

Two weeks later I was informed that I got the job and was also told that the deciding factor surprisingly was my previous job as he's a regular customer there and deeply admired their approach to customer service, going as far as to say that if he had interviewed me prior to gaining that job, I may not have made the cut.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your greatest accomplishment so far.   View Answer
    There was no negoitation. I was given a take it or leave it offer for a minimum wage job with the promise of advancement if I stick with it long enough. I only accepted the offer because no one else was willing to hire me at the time and also because I thought the work would be much easier than it really is.

Game Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at GameStop in April 2012.

I discovered an available position at Gamestop from a friend who worked there. Through his recommendation I was able to go in for an interview with the store manager. The interview probably lasted 20 minutes and it was a pretty typical interview. Questions like Why do you want to work here? Describe past work experiences? Etc. The biggest thing is that you have to realize that Gamestop is a company ran by people who want to make money. They don't want someone who can come in and just talk about games with people all day. While that is a bonus and somewhat of a necessity seeing as people ask you for recommendations all the time, Gamestop would much prefer someone who is a great salesman. They want people who can sell games, preorders and their membership service. You will be required to make these sales while working there.

Interview Questions
    • The was no technical experience required and it was mostly questions based on past work and responsibilities but the question to watch out for would probably be: Why do you want to work at gamestop?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation on pay. Minimum wage is what you will most likely receive.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in October 2010.

Became friendly with the staff and then applied for a job in that store. Got a call back to come in for a group interview. Was asked different questions about how to handle different retail scenarios. At the end we had to pick other than ourselves who else would be picked for the job if there were only 2 openings and give an explanation.

Interview Questions
    Cut and dry. This is the job and pay, do you want it or not?

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

Usually you pickup an application and wait for a hiring period, around Christmas is a high volume hire period. If you play games and can talk to people without being to weird or awkward then you shouldn't have a problem.

Another way to get the job is to be a regular customer who pre-orders games. If you get to know the staff and manager you have a higher likelihood of getting a job.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any issues with cold calling customers and selling/suggesting "xyz" product?   View Answer
    They told me what my starting pay was going to be and that was it. No real negotiation for this position.