GameStop

Average Difficulty
95 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Columbus, IN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at GameStop in March 2012.

Interview Details – Mostly concerned with my ability for:
 - Sales
 - Customer Service
 - Retail
 - Organization
 - Gaming Experience
 - Communication
 - Money Handeling

Interview Question – Name a situation in which you were trying to sell someone something they didn't want?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered to be paid minimum wage and receive minimum hours.

Springfield, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in July 2009.

Interview Details – I walked in and asked if they were hiring. Turns out they were - I handed them my resume and was invited to interview a week later. Basic interview questions done by the manager of the store and I was hired shortly after.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected at all.   Answer Question

Woodland Park, NJ

I applied in-person - interviewed at GameStop in May 2013.

Interview Details – The manager though friendly seemed simply too busy for applicants. I applied in person as they only do paper applications (which you print out from their company website). I checked in each week for several months, each time hearing that he hasn't had time to review my application and at a few points even being asked to resubmit one with any applicable updates which was frustrating considering how badly I originally wanted to work in a videogame store.

One day, after checking on the status of my application, I was asked if I had time, right there and then, for an interview which caught me off guard since I was in casual wear at the time and not dressed for an interview.

I was led to the backroom which made me feel surprisingly at home since it was spacious, refreshingly cold and resembled my old room with shelves of videogames everywhere.

The manager told me in advance the interview could very short or very long depending on how long we both wanted it to be, the number of questions he had and most importantly, my responses to them. The interview went by rather quickly which made me wonder if that was a good sign or not but I was confident given how friendly he was and how pleased he seemed with my answers.

Two weeks later I was informed that I got the job and was also told that the deciding factor surprisingly was my previous job as he's a regular customer there and deeply admired their approach to customer service, going as far as to say that if he had interviewed me prior to gaining that job, I may not have made the cut.

Interview Question – Tell me about your greatest accomplishment so far.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negoitation. I was given a take it or leave it offer for a minimum wage job with the promise of advancement if I stick with it long enough. I only accepted the offer because no one else was willing to hire me at the time and also because I thought the work would be much easier than it really is.

Game Advisor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at GameStop in April 2012.

Interview Details – I discovered an available position at Gamestop from a friend who worked there. Through his recommendation I was able to go in for an interview with the store manager. The interview probably lasted 20 minutes and it was a pretty typical interview. Questions like Why do you want to work here? Describe past work experiences? Etc. The biggest thing is that you have to realize that Gamestop is a company ran by people who want to make money. They don't want someone who can come in and just talk about games with people all day. While that is a bonus and somewhat of a necessity seeing as people ask you for recommendations all the time, Gamestop would much prefer someone who is a great salesman. They want people who can sell games, preorders and their membership service. You will be required to make these sales while working there.

Interview Question – The was no technical experience required and it was mostly questions based on past work and responsibilities but the question to watch out for would probably be: Why do you want to work at gamestop?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation on pay. Minimum wage is what you will most likely receive.

Baltimore, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in October 2010.

Interview Details – Became friendly with the staff and then applied for a job in that store. Got a call back to come in for a group interview. Was asked different questions about how to handle different retail scenarios. At the end we had to pick other than ourselves who else would be picked for the job if there were only 2 openings and give an explanation.

Interview Question – Asked what Video game character I would want to be.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Cut and dry. This is the job and pay, do you want it or not?

Portland, OR

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Usually you pickup an application and wait for a hiring period, around Christmas is a high volume hire period. If you play games and can talk to people without being to weird or awkward then you shouldn't have a problem.

Another way to get the job is to be a regular customer who pre-orders games. If you get to know the staff and manager you have a higher likelihood of getting a job.

Interview Question – Do you have any issues with cold calling customers and selling/suggesting "xyz" product?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They told me what my starting pay was going to be and that was it. No real negotiation for this position.

Alhambra, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at GameStop in October 2012.

Interview Details – Pretty basic. tell me about yourself, whats your favorite console, and what is your availability.
if you get the interview.. chances are they will hire you...

Interview Question – None really...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. salary starts at $8.50

West Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in April 2009.

Interview Details – Interview was very unprofessional. I was told they were going to hire me anyways even before I interviewed

Negotiation Details – Simple, no negotiation on pay. They set pay for this position

Fort Worth, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in August 2009.

Interview Details – Turned in paper application in store and received a call a few days later to come in for an interview. I arrived at the store for the interview and there were 3 other candidates there to be interviewed as well. We were taken to the back for one on one interviews with the store manager. Was asked about general game knowledge including the type of games I'm familiar with as well as the systems I've used. Was also asked why I wanted to work there and where I saw myself in 5 years.

Interview Question – Nothing particularly unexpected.   Answer Question

Interviewed at GameStop

Interview Details – I turned in my application then after about two weeks got a call for an interview. The interview questions were pretty basic but most of them were about the company and their policies.

Interview Question – What are the benefits to our reward program?   Answer Question