GameStop Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2015

2.1

Senior Game Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

The interview process is nothing special. They ask you a much of questions like name a time when you went above and beyond for a customer or someone you didn't know. And the in this situation what would do to calm the customer down and have them leave happy. My favorite is when they asked about how I would sell a customer on a certain item.

Interview Questions

• What do you personally bring to the company that would make you unique?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Hr interview was more a review of my previous employment and reference check, then dm interview consisted of a discussion of basic interview questions then a more in depth conversation of a p&L.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions...
      why do you want to work here
      experience and customer service questions

Answer Question

Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

The first Game Stop interview I had was in the back of the store with the store manager, the interview was pleasant and a week later I was called back for a second interview and this time the District Manager was present and the interview went well. They informed me to call back in a week for an answer, I called and the store manager told me "The DM hasn't given me an answer" and after a month he simply told me "The person that was going to quit stayed and there's no positions available". The second store I applied to was a walk-in interview with the Store Manager, the interview took place next door (Panda Express) and the SM even saved my phone number on his mobile phone to immediately give me a position, never heard back from that store. I've gone back to those two stores and they've hired if I may say, girls whom society would label as "Attractive" and who didn't have a clue about games or any gaming consoles. To be honest, I'm contemplating of giving it another shot to try to work for this company due to the fact that I love video games in general.

Interview Questions

• What skills could you bring to the store that others haven't already?   Answer Question

Game Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop (Irving, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

It took about an hour. The SM was very pleasant and friendly. My interview took place at a restaurant next door. It was somewhat laid back. Not too formal. He asked questions but I felt free to elaborate about things.

Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

All day interview process. Meet will all Supervisors in distribution center - spend about 20 minutes each. Also attend morning and afternoon meetings. Next day meet with Director and V.P. - following week got a call and offer was made. Good company - just low pay.

Interview Questions

• South Park or The Simpsons   1 Answer

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate, was told by the V.P. that this is the offer - wish we could pay more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manassas, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GameStop (Manassas, VA).

Interview

They brought me in and were curious to know if I had any other experience in retail or customer service. Wanted to gauge my knowledge of Video Game systems and games as well

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite game of all time?   2 Answers

Games Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

I applied in-store. When asking for the application the Manager gave me a short interview. She asked me questions like, "What's your favorite game?, How can you sell this game if i were a mom?, and Can you tell me about this game and what it is about?"
    The hiring process took a day and i worked the following week.

Interview Questions

• "Can you tell me what this game is about?"   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Pretty standard. Be up beat driven and customer focused. Don't be a hardcore fan of one system or another, its OK to prefer Xbox over PlayStation, but don't put down to other systems.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

My process was much more different than others. I came in looking for a seasonal job. After I asked for an application, the manager requested I come back the next day for the interview. After doing so, I was offered the job on the spot.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

I was approached by another Store Manager and told that he was in charge of finding a manager to take over his store because he was being moved to one being built.
    I was hired as a Manager Trainee and told it was a 6 week training process.
    The manager left the following week and suddenly the current assistant manager and I were left to run the store and he still had to train me... he realized that he was training his new boss instead of getting the promotion himself so he just stopped training me.
    By the end of the month they moved a different manager from a nearby store to take over this one, his assistant was promoted, and I was stuck as a trainee in the system for 3 months before the assistant that didn't train me was moved to a different location and I was made the assistant.
    I had to deal with constant complaints that I didn't know how to do many of the back office or inventory jobs, and though I explained that I'd never been trained or told about them I was still to blame as far as the manager cared.
    by 6 months I was told that there weren't any other store manager positions likely to come up unless someone quit or was fired... so I was stuck as an assistant making roughly 2/3rds what I was told I would get.
    I left before my 2 year anniversary for a much better job.

Interview Questions

• When looking at a P&L report, what are you looking for?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was told a salary after my training was over. I never got it.