GameStop

Updated Jan 27, 2015
Updated Jan 27, 2015

2.1

Supervisor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop.

All day interview process. Meet will all Supervisors in distribution center - spend about 20 minutes each. Also attend morning and afternoon meetings. Next day meet with Director and V.P. - following week got a call and offer was made. Good company - just low pay.

Interview Questions
    I tried to negotiate, was told by the V.P. that this is the offer - wish we could pay more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manassas, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manassas, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GameStop.

They brought me in and were curious to know if I had any other experience in retail or customer service. Wanted to gauge my knowledge of Video Game systems and games as well

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite game of all time?   View Answer

Games Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop.

I applied in-store. When asking for the application the Manager gave me a short interview. She asked me questions like, "What's your favorite game?, How can you sell this game if i were a mom?, and Can you tell me about this game and what it is about?"
    The hiring process took a day and i worked the following week.

Interview Questions
    • "Can you tell me what this game is about?"   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at GameStop.

Pretty standard. Be up beat driven and customer focused. Don't be a hardcore fan of one system or another, its OK to prefer Xbox over PlayStation, but don't put down to other systems.

None

Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GameStop.

My process was much more different than others. I came in looking for a seasonal job. After I asked for an application, the manager requested I come back the next day for the interview. After doing so, I was offered the job on the spot.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GameStop.

I was approached by another Store Manager and told that he was in charge of finding a manager to take over his store because he was being moved to one being built.
    I was hired as a Manager Trainee and told it was a 6 week training process.
    The manager left the following week and suddenly the current assistant manager and I were left to run the store and he still had to train me... he realized that he was training his new boss instead of getting the promotion himself so he just stopped training me.
    By the end of the month they moved a different manager from a nearby store to take over this one, his assistant was promoted, and I was stuck as a trainee in the system for 3 months before the assistant that didn't train me was moved to a different location and I was made the assistant.
    I had to deal with constant complaints that I didn't know how to do many of the back office or inventory jobs, and though I explained that I'd never been trained or told about them I was still to blame as far as the manager cared.
    by 6 months I was told that there weren't any other store manager positions likely to come up unless someone quit or was fired... so I was stuck as an assistant making roughly 2/3rds what I was told I would get.
    I left before my 2 year anniversary for a much better job.

Interview Questions
    • When looking at a P&L report, what are you looking for?   View Answer
    I was told a salary after my training was over. I never got it.

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop.

The interview process took place at the store. Manager asked a set of pre-written questions that seemed to be standard for all Gamestop interviews. Interview was easy and manager was very laid back for the whole process. Overall it was an extremely easy interview

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the worst game you've ever played. (after you explain how bad it was) Now sell it to me.   View Answer
    Non-existant

Game Advisor Interview

Basic interview questions. They asked when I would be available to work and why I would want to work at Gamestop. The interview process was fairly quick. If you have experience interviewing nothing should be too much of a surprise.

Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop.

I became a Store Manager after moving up internally, I was an Assistant Manager at the time of my interview. My District Manager came in to the store while I was working and asked me about our P&L (Profit and Loss), I was able to discuss with her our strength and weaknesses as a store, and the direct impact it had on our profitability. While I was expecting to be pulled into the back room and question, she conducted her visit as she normally would and I inquired at the end "Was this my interview" and she said yes, and explained that I was at my best in my natural environment, and that pulling me into the back room would only make me nervous. It was far, far easier than I was expecting and I was promoted within the week.

Interview Questions
    • I struggled with the question "What can you do to help the DISTRICT increase it's pre-owned sales?" I had been so focused on my own store as an ASM, I forgot that as a Store Manager, your focus must be on the district as a whole along with your own store.   View Answer
    There was not one, I attempted to negotiate my pay as I felt it was too low, but was turned down.

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at GameStop.

I initially had a phone interview that was very short and asked the standard phone interview questions one would expect. It was clear the individual was reading from a script and was not at all engaged or interested. At the conclusion of the phone interview, I was immediately invited in for a face-to-face interview.

I arrived at the corporate headquarters a few days later and met with an individual from their marketing department. She started the interview with reviewing the basics of what the job would require and its goals and asked if I had any questions about the job duties. I said I did not and that it was all quite clear. I didn't go into the in-depth questions I had prepared as I assumed the interview was just getting started. To my surprise, she began to thank me for coming in and ending the meeting before any questions were asked regarding my experience, skill set, goals, and other standard interview questions. I then proceeded to ask my questions and relate how my experience, education, etc. had prepared me for such a position, i.e., the information someone conducting an interview should want to know.

I was told while I was leaving that an individual from their HR department would be contacting me to follow up by the end of the week or the following Monday. I did not receive a call within that time frame but waited a little while longer before reaching out again. Once I did send an email as a follow up, I was responded to with a simple stock rejection email. All in all, this was a very disappointing process. From two uninterested interviewers to a lack of follow-through on what I was told would be done, I was very let down with my interview process with GameStop.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult. Surprisingly, there were hardly any questions at all.   Answer Question