GameStop

Updated Nov 17, 2014
Updated Nov 17, 2014

2.1

Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop.

I became a Store Manager after moving up internally, I was an Assistant Manager at the time of my interview. My District Manager came in to the store while I was working and asked me about our P&L (Profit and Loss), I was able to discuss with her our strength and weaknesses as a store, and the direct impact it had on our profitability. While I was expecting to be pulled into the back room and question, she conducted her visit as she normally would and I inquired at the end "Was this my interview" and she said yes, and explained that I was at my best in my natural environment, and that pulling me into the back room would only make me nervous. It was far, far easier than I was expecting and I was promoted within the week.

Interview Questions
    • I struggled with the question "What can you do to help the DISTRICT increase it's pre-owned sales?" I had been so focused on my own store as an ASM, I forgot that as a Store Manager, your focus must be on the district as a whole along with your own store.   View Answer
    There was not one, I attempted to negotiate my pay as I felt it was too low, but was turned down.

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at GameStop.

I initially had a phone interview that was very short and asked the standard phone interview questions one would expect. It was clear the individual was reading from a script and was not at all engaged or interested. At the conclusion of the phone interview, I was immediately invited in for a face-to-face interview.

I arrived at the corporate headquarters a few days later and met with an individual from their marketing department. She started the interview with reviewing the basics of what the job would require and its goals and asked if I had any questions about the job duties. I said I did not and that it was all quite clear. I didn't go into the in-depth questions I had prepared as I assumed the interview was just getting started. To my surprise, she began to thank me for coming in and ending the meeting before any questions were asked regarding my experience, skill set, goals, and other standard interview questions. I then proceeded to ask my questions and relate how my experience, education, etc. had prepared me for such a position, i.e., the information someone conducting an interview should want to know.

I was told while I was leaving that an individual from their HR department would be contacting me to follow up by the end of the week or the following Monday. I did not receive a call within that time frame but waited a little while longer before reaching out again. Once I did send an email as a follow up, I was responded to with a simple stock rejection email. All in all, this was a very disappointing process. From two uninterested interviewers to a lack of follow-through on what I was told would be done, I was very let down with my interview process with GameStop.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult. Surprisingly, there were hardly any questions at all.   Answer Question

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at GameStop.

Was called in a week after attending a local Gamestop Job Fair. Basic questions on video game knowledge and systems owned. How accustomed I was to pushing membership, driving sales and working with other people.

Interview Questions
    • "What Software are you familiar with?" was a question on the form but, the store manager told me to fill it out with my preferred game genres.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate. I was hired as a seasonal adviser and it tends to be whatever the minimum wage is for your state at the time.
    Be hungry, take all the hours and shifts you can get.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at GameStop.

Walked in and asked for an application. I was told to go home and print one out. I did, and returned it to the store. A few days later I got a call for an interview. I went in, the interview took about 5-7 minutes. Asked basic questions. My interviewer was very nice and made a very comfortable environment.

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you want to work here?"
      "What are your long term goals"
      "Walk me through your process of making a sale."
      "Name a situation you had to deal with an unhappy customer."

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

I walked into the store and asked the guy at the register (who it turns out was the manager) if they were hiring, he said they were. He asked me if I wanted to fill out the application in store and have a short interview in store since it was slow. After I filled out the application he sat down with me behind the counter and told me that it was basically gonna be a conversation like friends have more than an actual interview. He asked me a few basic questions, then he had one of the guys who worked there go outside and walk in as if he were a customer, and had me show how I would introduce myself to them and about our promotions. Hired right after.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you wanna work here?
      Do you know what games are coming out in the next few months?
      What game systems do you have?
      Whats your favorite game?
      Whats your least favorite game?
      Whats 10% of 100?
      If a customer came in and was asking for reviews for a game you don't like?

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop.

Only had the phone interview with a current store manager so far, but she was great. Enthusuastic, personable, friendly, and seemed genuinely interested in me. Indicated she was forwarding my resume to her District Manager to set up a 1:1 interview.

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

This is my first job. I applied and had a 1 on 1 interview during the summer. It was about 2 months later that I got a call for a group interview. It wasn't really an interview at all. Everyone got the job. The manager basically talked to us about what we'd be doing and what he expects from us. He was really cool. It was a group of 8 including myself. He told us about our training and when we'd find out about our schedules. So I guess if you make it to a group interview, you're pretty much in. One guy didn't even have an interview, he just turned in an application and got it.

Interview Questions
    • (1:1 interview)
      mostly questions about your availability and school activities
        Answer Question
    There was none. It's a little bit more than minimum wage so that's good.

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

The interview process was quite interesting for me. I walked in and talked to the manager the day of my homecoming football game so I was covered in body paint, and got an interview for an hour later! We walked outside to a table and talked for about fifteen minutes, and we had a lot of questions regarding my sales experience and gaming knowledge. I was honest with every single question he gave me, and I thought I was a bit too honest. They like that though! I came in a couple times during my lunch breaks and got to know the senior game advisors and manager. It was the nicest experience I've had with interviews. They get straight to the point, and are really honest with you.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I had was trying to remember game titles that I used to play a long time ago.   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, GA

interviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

Had a series of 3 interviews back to back at a j0b fair, went great! waiting to hear a call back. I was using many of my personal stories struggling in past jobs as an assistant manager, and shows how i dealt with tough situations,

Store Manager Interview

Phone tag, then meet with sore manager, move on to various district managers for interviews and wait for a position to come available. GameStop keeps a "Bench" They interview for positions they don't have open.