GameStop Interview Questions

2.1

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at GameStop.

Was called in a week after attending a local Gamestop Job Fair. Basic questions on video game knowledge and systems owned. How accustomed I was to pushing membership, driving sales and working with other people.

Interview Questions
    • "What Software are you familiar with?" was a question on the form but, the store manager told me to fill it out with my preferred game genres.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate. I was hired as a seasonal adviser and it tends to be whatever the minimum wage is for your state at the time.
    Be hungry, take all the hours and shifts you can get.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at GameStop.

Walked in and asked for an application. I was told to go home and print one out. I did, and returned it to the store. A few days later I got a call for an interview. I went in, the interview took about 5-7 minutes. Asked basic questions. My interviewer was very nice and made a very comfortable environment.

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you want to work here?"
      "What are your long term goals"
      "Walk me through your process of making a sale."
      "Name a situation you had to deal with an unhappy customer."

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop.

Only had the phone interview with a current store manager so far, but she was great. Enthusuastic, personable, friendly, and seemed genuinely interested in me. Indicated she was forwarding my resume to her District Manager to set up a 1:1 interview.

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

This is my first job. I applied and had a 1 on 1 interview during the summer. It was about 2 months later that I got a call for a group interview. It wasn't really an interview at all. Everyone got the job. The manager basically talked to us about what we'd be doing and what he expects from us. He was really cool. It was a group of 8 including myself. He told us about our training and when we'd find out about our schedules. So I guess if you make it to a group interview, you're pretty much in. One guy didn't even have an interview, he just turned in an application and got it.

Interview Questions
    • (1:1 interview)
      mostly questions about your availability and school activities
        Answer Question
    There was none. It's a little bit more than minimum wage so that's good.

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

The interview process was quite interesting for me. I walked in and talked to the manager the day of my homecoming football game so I was covered in body paint, and got an interview for an hour later! We walked outside to a table and talked for about fifteen minutes, and we had a lot of questions regarding my sales experience and gaming knowledge. I was honest with every single question he gave me, and I thought I was a bit too honest. They like that though! I came in a couple times during my lunch breaks and got to know the senior game advisors and manager. It was the nicest experience I've had with interviews. They get straight to the point, and are really honest with you.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I had was trying to remember game titles that I used to play a long time ago.   View Answer

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

I walked into the store and asked the guy at the register (who it turns out was the manager) if they were hiring, he said they were. He asked me if I wanted to fill out the application in store and have a short interview in store since it was slow. After I filled out the application he sat down with me behind the counter and told me that it was basically gonna be a conversation like friends have more than an actual interview. He asked me a few basic questions, then he had one of the guys who worked there go outside and walk in as if he were a customer, and had me show how I would introduce myself to them and about our promotions. Hired right after.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you wanna work here?
      Do you know what games are coming out in the next few months?
      What game systems do you have?
      Whats your favorite game?
      Whats your least favorite game?
      Whats 10% of 100?
      If a customer came in and was asking for reviews for a game you don't like?

Store Manager Interview

Phone tag, then meet with sore manager, move on to various district managers for interviews and wait for a position to come available. GameStop keeps a "Bench" They interview for positions they don't have open.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

You are interviewed by the store manager first and then district manager. If you are lucky, you get an interview with the district manager depending if they are a good one. The hiring process is fairly easy and traditional sometimes, starting with a phone call to come in for the face to face. This is for management positions only, for partime game advisors theres a group interview sometimes.

Interview Questions
    • there is no real structured questions sometimes. It varies from manager to manager   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at GameStop.

Went to a group interview at a job fair. There were about 4 people in each group and it was very standard. Got called back for an individual interview about 3 days later.

Interview Questions

They wanted me to work for a different location than I wanted.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GameStop in September 2014.

First interview with store manager. Went off a small workbook with multiple follow up questions. I often answered a large portion of the follow ups with my initial answer. Mostly about management experience, but in my case, having none, used times that I took an authoritative role. Mostly a common retail interview with a lot of supervisor questions. He wrote a lot and said I gave good answers.
    Second interview was supposed to be a phone interview with another manager from the same area. Ended up as an in person interview because I worked I the same building as that Gamestop, so it was much easier to meet in person. In this interview, he ran out of questions because I answered then so fully again. Asked if I didn't get the AM if he could hire me to work 10 hours a week on my days off for my current job.

Didn't get the job, but he said I was a top contender.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when an employee didn't do what you had asked them to, and how you handled it.   Answer Question