GameStop

282 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online for a different position than the one I was highered for in early July, received initial call back 2 weeks later for over the phone interview and face to face scheduling aprox a week later. Brought paper copy of Resume on interview day, dressed in shirt, tie and slacks. Interviewer was upfront and said I was over qualified for the position, but wanted to place me into a a different position. Questions were straightforward for a retail position: customer service, employee relations, theft etc. At the end of the interview I was told I was being considered for a different position and I would receive a call back. 1 hr later I received a call back and did the second interview the same afternoon. I walked in and was told that I had the job if I wanted it. Very straightforward and honest very good interview process.

Interview Question – What was your favorite subject in school.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Were up front about minimum they could offer me, but indicated potential higher wage. Actual Negotiation occurs between Division Manager and HR. The more qualified you are the higher wage you will get.

Savannah, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in May 2014.

Interview Details – If you want this job, SHOW IT! Call and ask for a manager and then come in person with a resume. Showing persistence is Key! Be sure to emphasize your sales background, it's all about getting the numbers and selling memberships. Knowing about video games is a plus but not required

Interview Question – How would you handle someone who is not interested in a Games Reward Card or reserves?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Game Advisor

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Was pretty simple. Questions like "When are people more likely to make decisions?" or "What's your reason to want to work here?" They're all straight forward. If you don't know the answer, it's fine. Chances are, not knowing the answer and admitting you don't is fine since you'll learn granted you're hired. Other questions were things like what do you do in spare time, where do you go to school, are you planning to go to college if you aren't already in college, etc. It's a simple interview. Nothing to really be afraid of. The hiring manager at the GameStop I work at was pretty chill. Only downfall was that HR was pretty bad to work with since I was still a minor when I was hired so they took forever to add me into GameStop's employee list. As someone whose never had a job before, I'm actually glad this is my first job. It's a lot of fun and quite a good start.

Negotiation Details – Just have good social skills. It really isn't that difficult to get hired at GS. Be yourself, don't be afraid to admit if you don't know something, but be willing to learn more if you're interested.

Senior Game Advisor Interview

Senior Game Advisor

Interviewed at GameStop

Interview Details – I was brought to the company by a friend, and the interview process is as follows. there are a total or 3 interviews one with another ASM, one with a store manager, and then a final interview with the district manager of the store. there are not alot of leaps or surprises to the interview. but do not go in just bolstering you have played games for years, even though that helps this is a company that is strictly in the buisness of making money so be sure you make them totally aware of any past sales skills yiu have

Negotiation Details – You can negotiate pay somewhat but i didnt find this out until after the fact

Game Advisor

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Very straight forward. I received a call from the manager after having asked him a few days earlier. So I filled out an application and went into the back room for the interview. It lasted only a few minutes, I shook the man's hand and that was that. Apparently they weren't currently hiring, but kept my application on file.

Interview Question – I seriously cannot remember the exact questions. I know he asked various questions about how I would help a customer if they asked my advice on a particular game title or console.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at GameStop in January 2014.

Interview Details – First I applied online, I was then called for an in person interview with the DM, then a phone interview with a DM from a different area and last a phone interview with the RM. All were very positive.

Interview Question – Examples of good/bad customer service, how you would handle different employee situations etc. pretty standard questions all around.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I told them what I was making, they offered a bit more and I accepted.

Westland, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in January 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty straightforward interview about background and what if scenarios to start with; evolved into more detailed questions regarding handling of employee issues as well as customer issues. Finally at the end - got technical with details of familiarity with the product

Interview Question – Wasn't familiar with all gaming platforms at the time   View Answer

The Woodlands, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

Interview Details – In order to get a job at GameStop, you normally have to wait until a job fair and there's usually two a year, one in Spring and the other in September for the holidays. Applications are to be printed from the GameStop website, and once you're finished with your application, you give it to the manager during the job fair (if you hand them a resume that will make them more than happy). The manager that you hand it to is usually a manager of another GameStop, while all the other managers of the GameStops within that district are interviewing people. Once the manager calls your name you will be asked a series of easy questions like most retail managers do: what would you do if one of your friends stole an item from the store, what would you do if a customer was angry at you and the line is long, etc. Also they will ask if you know much about the gaming industry, mostly about consoles and games, if you don't have any knowledge about these subjects then I do not recommend wasting your time on getting hired at GameStop as EVERYTHING in GameStop is about the retail end of the gaming industry. Once you're finished with the interview, you have a quick little chat with the district manager to see if you look like a bright and happy person to be working for GameStop, if you're hired you will get a call within a few days to a couple weeks later to be told that you're hired.

Interview Question – There was not really any questions I found difficult during the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Be smart, know about the company you're working for and act like GameStop is the best retail company for video games (even though there's not really any competitors for GameStop, if you have a small local game store act like GameStop is better), mention that the employees at your GameStop seem like they love working there. If you have very little knowledge about the gaming industry, you might not be fit for the job as you're expected to know and memorize everything from the information about the consoles being sold, to new releases of games, DLC's, etc.

Store Manager

I applied through other source and interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Softball interview. District manager followed a list of pre generated questions. Did not deviate from that. Seemed to be going through the motions or inexperienced at this. General questions were asked like What is best quality and worst quality?

Interview Question – What's your favorite video game?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated for a slightly higher salary. Nothing difficult. Just asked and based on my experience they accepted.

Very Easy Interview

Greenville, SC

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in November 2011.

Interview Details – "Interviewed" with SM who I knew. He asked me if I needed a short holiday job because he was asked to hire a certain number of people. I said yes because I didn't have a job at the time. There is no interview process most of the time because if you know the SM, you can easily get a job around the holiday hiring times which is in October.

Interview Question – If I would be ok with minimum wage.   Answer Question

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!