GameStop Interview Questions

Updated Mar 5, 2015
Updated Mar 5, 2015

2.1

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at GameStop.

The first Game Stop interview I had was in the back of the store with the store manager, the interview was pleasant and a week later I was called back for a second interview and this time the District Manager was present and the interview went well. They informed me to call back in a week for an answer, I called and the store manager told me "The DM hasn't given me an answer" and after a month he simply told me "The person that was going to quit stayed and there's no positions available". The second store I applied to was a walk-in interview with the Store Manager, the interview took place next door (Panda Express) and the SM even saved my phone number on his mobile phone to immediately give me a position, never heard back from that store. I've gone back to those two stores and they've hired if I may say, girls whom society would label as "Attractive" and who didn't have a clue about games or any gaming consoles. To be honest, I'm contemplating of giving it another shot to try to work for this company due to the fact that I love video games in general.

Interview Questions
    • What skills could you bring to the store that others haven't already?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop in March 2015.

It took about an hour. The SM was very pleasant and friendly. My interview took place at a restaurant next door. It was somewhat laid back. Not too formal. He asked questions but I felt free to elaborate about things.

Supervisor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop.

All day interview process. Meet will all Supervisors in distribution center - spend about 20 minutes each. Also attend morning and afternoon meetings. Next day meet with Director and V.P. - following week got a call and offer was made. Good company - just low pay.

Interview Questions
    I tried to negotiate, was told by the V.P. that this is the offer - wish we could pay more.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manassas, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manassas, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GameStop.

They brought me in and were curious to know if I had any other experience in retail or customer service. Wanted to gauge my knowledge of Video Game systems and games as well

Games Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop.

I applied in-store. When asking for the application the Manager gave me a short interview. She asked me questions like, "What's your favorite game?, How can you sell this game if i were a mom?, and Can you tell me about this game and what it is about?"
    The hiring process took a day and i worked the following week.

Interview Questions
    • "Can you tell me what this game is about?"   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at GameStop.

Pretty standard. Be up beat driven and customer focused. Don't be a hardcore fan of one system or another, its OK to prefer Xbox over PlayStation, but don't put down to other systems.

None

Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GameStop.

My process was much more different than others. I came in looking for a seasonal job. After I asked for an application, the manager requested I come back the next day for the interview. After doing so, I was offered the job on the spot.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GameStop.

I was approached by another Store Manager and told that he was in charge of finding a manager to take over his store because he was being moved to one being built.
    I was hired as a Manager Trainee and told it was a 6 week training process.
    The manager left the following week and suddenly the current assistant manager and I were left to run the store and he still had to train me... he realized that he was training his new boss instead of getting the promotion himself so he just stopped training me.
    By the end of the month they moved a different manager from a nearby store to take over this one, his assistant was promoted, and I was stuck as a trainee in the system for 3 months before the assistant that didn't train me was moved to a different location and I was made the assistant.
    I had to deal with constant complaints that I didn't know how to do many of the back office or inventory jobs, and though I explained that I'd never been trained or told about them I was still to blame as far as the manager cared.
    by 6 months I was told that there weren't any other store manager positions likely to come up unless someone quit or was fired... so I was stuck as an assistant making roughly 2/3rds what I was told I would get.
    I left before my 2 year anniversary for a much better job.

Interview Questions
    • When looking at a P&L report, what are you looking for?   View Answer
    I was told a salary after my training was over. I never got it.

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop.

The interview process took place at the store. Manager asked a set of pre-written questions that seemed to be standard for all Gamestop interviews. Interview was easy and manager was very laid back for the whole process. Overall it was an extremely easy interview

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the worst game you've ever played. (after you explain how bad it was) Now sell it to me.   View Answer
    Non-existant

Game Advisor Interview

Basic interview questions. They asked when I would be available to work and why I would want to work at Gamestop. The interview process was fairly quick. If you have experience interviewing nothing should be too much of a surprise.