GameStop

Average Difficulty
276 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Game Advisor

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Was pretty simple. Questions like "When are people more likely to make decisions?" or "What's your reason to want to work here?" They're all straight forward. If you don't know the answer, it's fine. Chances are, not knowing the answer and admitting you don't is fine since you'll learn granted you're hired. Other questions were things like what do you do in spare time, where do you go to school, are you planning to go to college if you aren't already in college, etc. It's a simple interview. Nothing to really be afraid of. The hiring manager at the GameStop I work at was pretty chill. Only downfall was that HR was pretty bad to work with since I was still a minor when I was hired so they took forever to add me into GameStop's employee list. As someone whose never had a job before, I'm actually glad this is my first job. It's a lot of fun and quite a good start.

Negotiation Details – Just have good social skills. It really isn't that difficult to get hired at GS. Be yourself, don't be afraid to admit if you don't know something, but be willing to learn more if you're interested.

The Woodlands, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

Interview Details – In order to get a job at GameStop, you normally have to wait until a job fair and there's usually two a year, one in Spring and the other in September for the holidays. Applications are to be printed from the GameStop website, and once you're finished with your application, you give it to the manager during the job fair (if you hand them a resume that will make them more than happy). The manager that you hand it to is usually a manager of another GameStop, while all the other managers of the GameStops within that district are interviewing people. Once the manager calls your name you will be asked a series of easy questions like most retail managers do: what would you do if one of your friends stole an item from the store, what would you do if a customer was angry at you and the line is long, etc. Also they will ask if you know much about the gaming industry, mostly about consoles and games, if you don't have any knowledge about these subjects then I do not recommend wasting your time on getting hired at GameStop as EVERYTHING in GameStop is about the retail end of the gaming industry. Once you're finished with the interview, you have a quick little chat with the district manager to see if you look like a bright and happy person to be working for GameStop, if you're hired you will get a call within a few days to a couple weeks later to be told that you're hired.

Interview Question – There was not really any questions I found difficult during the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Be smart, know about the company you're working for and act like GameStop is the best retail company for video games (even though there's not really any competitors for GameStop, if you have a small local game store act like GameStop is better), mention that the employees at your GameStop seem like they love working there. If you have very little knowledge about the gaming industry, you might not be fit for the job as you're expected to know and memorize everything from the information about the consoles being sold, to new releases of games, DLC's, etc.

Westland, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in January 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty straightforward interview about background and what if scenarios to start with; evolved into more detailed questions regarding handling of employee issues as well as customer issues. Finally at the end - got technical with details of familiarity with the product

Interview Question – Wasn't familiar with all gaming platforms at the time   View Answer

Store Manager

I applied through other source and interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Softball interview. District manager followed a list of pre generated questions. Did not deviate from that. Seemed to be going through the motions or inexperienced at this. General questions were asked like What is best quality and worst quality?

Interview Question – What's your favorite video game?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated for a slightly higher salary. Nothing difficult. Just asked and based on my experience they accepted.

Very Easy Interview

Greenville, SC

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in November 2011.

Interview Details – "Interviewed" with SM who I knew. He asked me if I needed a short holiday job because he was asked to hire a certain number of people. I said yes because I didn't have a job at the time. There is no interview process most of the time because if you know the SM, you can easily get a job around the holiday hiring times which is in October.

Interview Question – If I would be ok with minimum wage.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

SGA Interview

SGA

I applied in-person and interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Walked into the store. Was greeted and taken into the back room. Was interviewed by the ASM. Then We talked about why i wanted to work there, and if i could sell. Very Very Easy

Interview Question – Sell me this pen.   View Answer

Senior Game Advisor Interview

Senior Game Advisor
Pensacola, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop in September 2013.

Interview Details – It was a face-to-face interview during the seasonal hiring time. Sat down near the store entrance and the hiring manager read from a sheet of questions. I had a connection to someone who knew the manager, so I had that benefit of having a recommendation.

Interview Question – An occasion in the work-place where I had to deal with an angry customer. I needed to think.   View Answer

Game Advisor

I applied in-person and interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Had three interviews with the manager. The only frustrating part was that it took a long time for them to get back to me so I would have to call them to check the status of my application only to be asked for another interview.

Interview Question – Just simple question about my past work, education, and whether I thought could sell the PowerUp rewards effectively. Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Best to apply through another person, such as a store manager. First interview was with District Manager who assessed understanding of company business model, management experience, and sales skills. Second interview was with another District manager who assessed mainly product knowledge and understanding of stakeholders and customer populations. Third interview was via phone with the Regional Director who asked about preceding areas plus questions about understanding of business plan and focus toward achieving multiple and complex long-term goals. The whole process took about 2-3 weeks from the time my resume and paper application were handed to the first interviewer.

Interview Question – Nothing complicated or unexpected. Questions about leadership and management behavioral experiences and examples. Most interesting question was about a favorite game and a time or example (roll-play) of how to sell it and about who to sell it to.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Tried to negotiate salary, but was offered a "yes/no" number below expectations.

Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at GameStop in May 2014.

Interview Details – interview was an hour and thirty minutes, they didn't hire immediately, a group interview in which he went around in a circle asking questions, no hard questions, asked mainly personal questions , asked to sell and reorder games alphabetically

Interview Question – Asked questions about personal life that eventually tied back to the opinion of the customer   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at GameStop

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GameStop interview questions and advice. All 276 interview reviews posted anonymously by GameStop employees and interview candidates.