GameStop

Updated Jan 16, 2015
Updated Jan 16, 2015

2.1

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

I walked into the store and asked the guy at the register (who it turns out was the manager) if they were hiring, he said they were. He asked me if I wanted to fill out the application in store and have a short interview in store since it was slow. After I filled out the application he sat down with me behind the counter and told me that it was basically gonna be a conversation like friends have more than an actual interview. He asked me a few basic questions, then he had one of the guys who worked there go outside and walk in as if he were a customer, and had me show how I would introduce myself to them and about our promotions. Hired right after.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you wanna work here?
      Do you know what games are coming out in the next few months?
      What game systems do you have?
      Whats your favorite game?
      Whats your least favorite game?
      Whats 10% of 100?
      If a customer came in and was asking for reviews for a game you don't like?

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at GameStop.

Walked in and asked for an application. I was told to go home and print one out. I did, and returned it to the store. A few days later I got a call for an interview. I went in, the interview took about 5-7 minutes. Asked basic questions. My interviewer was very nice and made a very comfortable environment.

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you want to work here?"
      "What are your long term goals"
      "Walk me through your process of making a sale."
      "Name a situation you had to deal with an unhappy customer."

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop.

Only had the phone interview with a current store manager so far, but she was great. Enthusuastic, personable, friendly, and seemed genuinely interested in me. Indicated she was forwarding my resume to her District Manager to set up a 1:1 interview.

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

This is my first job. I applied and had a 1 on 1 interview during the summer. It was about 2 months later that I got a call for a group interview. It wasn't really an interview at all. Everyone got the job. The manager basically talked to us about what we'd be doing and what he expects from us. He was really cool. It was a group of 8 including myself. He told us about our training and when we'd find out about our schedules. So I guess if you make it to a group interview, you're pretty much in. One guy didn't even have an interview, he just turned in an application and got it.

Interview Questions
    • (1:1 interview)
      mostly questions about your availability and school activities

Answer Question
    There was none. It's a little bit more than minimum wage so that's good.

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

The interview process was quite interesting for me. I walked in and talked to the manager the day of my homecoming football game so I was covered in body paint, and got an interview for an hour later! We walked outside to a table and talked for about fifteen minutes, and we had a lot of questions regarding my sales experience and gaming knowledge. I was honest with every single question he gave me, and I thought I was a bit too honest. They like that though! I came in a couple times during my lunch breaks and got to know the senior game advisors and manager. It was the nicest experience I've had with interviews. They get straight to the point, and are really honest with you.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I had was trying to remember game titles that I used to play a long time ago.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, GA

interviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

Had a series of 3 interviews back to back at a j0b fair, went great! waiting to hear a call back. I was using many of my personal stories struggling in past jobs as an assistant manager, and shows how i dealt with tough situations,

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

The interview process took about a month. I initially called and asked if they were hiring for the holiday season. The Assistant Manager told me they were and I should submit my application. So being persistent, I submitted both my resume along with my application the next day. The Store Manager said he would give me a call back in a week to set up an interview. 2 weeks later, after his week long vacation and inability to follow up, never called me back so I went up to the store to see what the deal was. I had to wait an hour just to talk to him and I found out they lost my application and I had to fill out another one (ugh). I did so and he told me to come in the next week for an interview. So the 3rd week, I came in 15 minutes earlier and the Store Manager told me he forgot about my interview. So I interviewed with the Assistant Manager and gave up on them immediately afterwards because of their incompetence and unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your past work experience? What does customer service mean to you? If you don't get a call next week then you didn't get the job.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Phone tag, then meet with sore manager, move on to various district managers for interviews and wait for a position to come available. GameStop keeps a "Bench" They interview for positions they don't have open.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

You are interviewed by the store manager first and then district manager. If you are lucky, you get an interview with the district manager depending if they are a good one. The hiring process is fairly easy and traditional sometimes, starting with a phone call to come in for the face to face. This is for management positions only, for partime game advisors theres a group interview sometimes.

Interview Questions
    • there is no real structured questions sometimes. It varies from manager to manager   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at GameStop.

Went to a group interview at a job fair. There were about 4 people in each group and it was very standard. Got called back for an individual interview about 3 days later.

Interview Questions

They wanted me to work for a different location than I wanted.