GameStop

Getting the Interview

247 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process is one call to let you know you need to come in for a in person interview after you put in your application (can take weeks before they call and it has to be in a season they are hiring or if they have hiring now signs)

They will have you go into the backroom, which is usually very full of boxes and games and controllers all over the walls and sit you down to talk to you. My GameStop had a working T.V. and a PS3 hooked up in the back to play games and watch HULU.

The assistant manager (in most cases) will ask you some standard questions, like "what made you want to work for GameStop", what do you know about GameStop? And of course "Why Should we hire you over someone else?"

basically, as long as you have some knowledge in a area not on PC, like Nintendo, or PlayStation, you will be doing fine. If you tell them at any point you are unable to do sales of any sort, you lost your interview and they will move on to someone else.

Try being honest, as this is a small company, there is only gonna be at most like 10 of you all together on the schedule, if you believe you are willing to learn and understand more than you know already, let them know. Share that you want to know feedback for what you are doing wrong and if you can ask questions to improve your sales, I personally was not good at sales before, but I think with those already settup, my managers were more willing to swoop in and help and guide me than if I didn't mention I wanted to learn more.

Interview Question – The most difficult part of the interview for me was when they asked what I knew about PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, as they were going to be released that year. I didn't know as much as I wanted hardware wise, or what games were exclusive to the consoles that were coming out on release.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was not a negotiation phase, you get 7.25 an hour in Virginia Beach as a Game Advisor at any GameStop, they have to save money, as they lose a lot of it every year.

Torrance, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at GameStop in November 2012.

Interview Details – The interviews were pretty simple. we were interviewed at a bench outside the mall, and they asked me various questions about my job history and why I wanted the job. I was lucky and had tons of history working QA for various video game companies, so that really helped me out.

Interview Question – If you were a type of ice cream, what type of ice cream would you be?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiate? Ha ha, this was right after the mortgage crisis and I was paid minimum wage and happy to get it. Apparently HUNDREDS of people applied for the job. Ajob with maybe a dozen openings at various stores.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager
Detroit, MI

I applied in-person - interviewed at GameStop in February 2013.

Interview Details – As long as you've had experience managing: people, product, and equipment as such you should do fine to expound on your experience.

Interview Question – Gaming Knowledge (had to learn what was hot in the market).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Same as any other job opportunity you've been presented with before; nothing outside the norm.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Game Advisor Interview

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop in May 2012.

Interview Details – When I was intervied it was a sort of competative group interview. There were two of us an we were explained details about the position and then asked questions in an almost comparative outloud test to see which one of us would of been the best fit for the position.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was probably being asked to sell a product on the spot with the bits and pieces of information we were given on it. Difficult only because we had the pressure of employment riding on our answer.   View Answer

Clerk Interview

Clerk

I applied online and interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Interviewed multiple times: once to join the company and a few times to change departments. Pretty standard, where do you see yourself in five years, what was a challenge you faced and how you overcame it and what not. Each time it was one-on-one, though usually with mulitple people. I spoke with an HR representative and then the hiring manager (and at least once also the hiring manager's supervisor).

Interview Question – What's your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Game Advisor

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – I submitted my application got called back just a few days later was interview by a traveling manager along with the district manager and asked about any previous job expreinces or and skills i have had along with my knowledge of games and the industry

Interview Question – typical what would you do questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – easy

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – I knew a District Manager. All i did was make a phone call, i met with him and i was hired.. literally that simple

Interview Question – Why i left intially   View Answer

Negotiation Details – heres what i can pay you.. OK.

Westland, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in March 2012.

Interview Details – Easy interview, don't even have to really dress up for it. Lasts maybe 30-45 minutes. Basic questions, nothing a young person couldn't answer. Only one interview for the whole process. You just sit in the backroom with the Manger of the store and answer his questions, more of like a conversation than an actual interview, any questions asked are basic and can be found online.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions, all basic interview questions where asked   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier

Interviewed at GameStop

Interview Details – Not very difficult

Interview Question – What experience do you have dealing with the public   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Orlando, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop in January 2010.

Interview Details – My hiring at GameStop was not normal. I went into a store for a job and basically would not take no for an answer. I went in and gave my resume. I watched how they worked and showed my skills helping guest in store that they could not.

Interview Question – I always hate and have a hard time when they ask for your greatest strengthen and weakness.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at GameStop