GameStop

Updated Jan 27, 2015
Updated Jan 27, 2015

2.1

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at GameStop.

Went to a group interview at a job fair. There were about 4 people in each group and it was very standard. Got called back for an individual interview about 3 days later.

Interview Questions

They wanted me to work for a different location than I wanted.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GameStop in September 2014.

First interview with store manager. Went off a small workbook with multiple follow up questions. I often answered a large portion of the follow ups with my initial answer. Mostly about management experience, but in my case, having none, used times that I took an authoritative role. Mostly a common retail interview with a lot of supervisor questions. He wrote a lot and said I gave good answers.
    Second interview was supposed to be a phone interview with another manager from the same area. Ended up as an in person interview because I worked I the same building as that Gamestop, so it was much easier to meet in person. In this interview, he ran out of questions because I answered then so fully again. Asked if I didn't get the AM if he could hire me to work 10 hours a week on my days off for my current job.

Didn't get the job, but he said I was a top contender.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when an employee didn't do what you had asked them to, and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Key Holder Interview

Very informal interview and the application process was odd and lengthy. I turned in my application at the end of May or first of June and got a call one week ago to interview. ASM is a twenty something it trying to be great but there are a few rookie mistakes. We never covered schedules and as of last Wednesday I accepted the job but I have yet to sign anything or do any onboarding in GS portal. He never asked what days or time of day I was interested in; nor did we cover rate of pay. Offered me job over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you encountered a rude or dismissive customer....   View Answer
    Still hasn't happened

Game Advisor Interview

I walked in dressed up in formal clothing and asked for an application for employment. I completed it on the spot and turned it in. A week or two later I returned and was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult scenario you have encountered with a customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop.

I walked in as I was interested in working for this particular company. I asked for a paper application and filled it out in store to show that I was very serious about working there. I received a call back a few days later for a 1:1 interview. I arrived for the interview in business casual attire. We discussed why did I want to work for the company and what kind of experience did I have as a gamer and in retail. After the interview I waited about a day or two in which I was told that I had gotten the job.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me this (product) along with the rest of the items that I was purchasing   Answer Question

Game Advisor Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at GameStop in August 2014.

For me, it was a group interview of 4. I was not a fan of this at all,but a gave me a chance to stick out from the group. Make sure you go as early as possible and talk a lot. This was a job fair that Gamestop has every year.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Gamestop. Dont say because I like games!   Answer Question
    • How did you handle an angry customer in the past.   View Answer
    No negotiating for me, there wasn't even a second interview because the manager needed somebody immediately.

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at GameStop in August 2014.

I went in-person and filled out an application on the stop. The hiring manager happened to be there conducting interviews so I got the opportunity to speak with him and schedule an interview the next week. I went in for the interview and it was a very relaxed environment. He tried to make it feel like a conversation rather than an interview which I really appreciated. Basic interview questions and he said he would get back within the next couple weeks. About a month later I got a call saying I was hired for a seasonal position.

Interview Questions
    • What can you contribute to this company?
      Why did you choose GameStop?

Answer Question
    none

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I applied online – interviewed at GameStop in August 2014.

filled our application online. Process took 1 month. I went in for my first interview and it went smoothly. Basic question that even the manager admitted were "basic". Second interview took almost 3 weeks to schedule. 2 interview was in the back room of the store. Also pretty simple
    And basic one on one interview. I said I wanted to stay, but this was a seasonal part time position.

Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop.

Was pretty simple. Questions like "When are people more likely to make decisions?" or "What's your reason to want to work here?" They're all straight forward. If you don't know the answer, it's fine. Chances are, not knowing the answer and admitting you don't is fine since you'll learn granted you're hired. Other questions were things like what do you do in spare time, where do you go to school, are you planning to go to college if you aren't already in college, etc. It's a simple interview. Nothing to really be afraid of. The hiring manager at the GameStop I work at was pretty chill. Only downfall was that HR was pretty bad to work with since I was still a minor when I was hired so they took forever to add me into GameStop's employee list. As someone whose never had a job before, I'm actually glad this is my first job. It's a lot of fun and quite a good start.

Just have good social skills. It really isn't that difficult to get hired at GS. Be yourself, don't be afraid to admit if you don't know something, but be willing to learn more if you're interested.

Senior Game Advisor Interview

I was brought to the company by a friend, and the interview process is as follows. there are a total or 3 interviews one with another ASM, one with a store manager, and then a final interview with the district manager of the store. there are not alot of leaps or surprises to the interview. but do not go in just bolstering you have played games for years, even though that helps this is a company that is strictly in the buisness of making money so be sure you make them totally aware of any past sales skills yiu have

You can negotiate pay somewhat but i didnt find this out until after the fact