GameStop

Average Difficulty
281 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hyattsville, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at GameStop in August 2010.

Interview Details – Seems based on familiar faces. Best chance on getting interest is by constantly being around the location. Actual interviews ask common questions like "Why do you want to work at GameStop?" The answer is NOT "Because I like games" and more customer service related issues.

Interview Question – What actions would you take if a disgruntled customer became belligerent and dangerous in your store?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – GameStop gives what they want to, no negotiations for Part-Time employees.

Game Associate Interview

Game Associate
Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in November 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process for a GA is typical very simple, I walked into a store introduced myself to the manager and filled out an application. I was called for an interview within the week & was offered a job after a very informal interview. Often times the company hold more formal "job fair" style interviews

Interview Question – none of the questions required any creative thinking or wit.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing was negotiable

Highland, IN

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GameStop in October 2010.

Interview Details – There were two separate interviews. Both were the same questions. The interviews began very simply as a personality assessment. They asked strength and weaknesses. I was then asked what games I was excited that were coming out and why. The last portion of the interview I was asked to sell the interviewer their pen. I was notified within a week or so after the second interview that I got the job.

Interview Question – The hardest question I came across was selling the pen. It gets you to think on your feet and try to think outside the box.   Answer Question

Mobile, AL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop in March 2014.

Interview Details – GameStop has a surprisingly lengthy interview process Assistant Manager, Store Manager, District Manager, and then Regional. I had my first interview with the Assistant Manager. He was polite and informative and told me about the "Cycle of Gaming" and their changing business outlook. The interview was about 20 minutes.

Interview Question – I suppose the most difficult question asked was a typical interview question: To explain a time you had had difficulty or difference of opinion with a manager.   View Answer

Rego Park, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at GameStop in September 2013.

Interview Details – I didn't really get much of an "interview". My boss is very good friends with one of my close friends and had asked him to find people for him. He asked my friend if I was an okay person and if I would screw him over. Then he proceeded to ask me what my favorite game was, and why. When I told him that I travel across the country to compete in video game tournaments he simply said "oh, so you're in the scene?" he then hired me on the spot.

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my pay. I asked for something higher than my previous job, and I received a whole dollar more. It's not A LOT, but it's something.

Interviewed at GameStop

Interview Details – Went to an open interview. Filled out application and waited my turn.

Interview Question – Basic questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Min. wage

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in May 2010.

Interview Details – The first interview is done by template, with very by the numbers questions regarding your work ethic and ability to provide customer service. If you are African=American or Hispanic the interviewer will ask you various questions regarding your education, and various other questions they cannot legally ask regarding your living situation and personal life. They will genuinely surprised if you have a degree from any college or university.

i wish I was joking but I've worked in almost every neighborhood in the city and literally every person of color I have worked with or trained has reported receiving this treatment at some point during the interview process.

Interview Question – "What is your ideal job, including hours worked per week and pay?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none. I joined the company in 2004 as a minimum wage cashier. The next year I moved up to assistant manager. Then in 2008 I moved up to store manager. In every instance my pay was determined before any conversation had taken place, my choices in every case were either accept the pay or don't move up.

The annual review scoring structure was changed in 2010 so that no matter how well you do as a salaried manager, you will never get more than a 3% raise per year.

Senior Game Advisor Interview

Senior Game Advisor
Savannah, GA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in September 2012.

Interview Details – I went to a job fair and was just very personable. You do not have to have a vast knowledge of gaming, but you need to be willing to learn quickly and efficiently.

Interview Question – How would I handle a displease customer?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – Give an application at the store get a call back a few weeks later for an interview.

Interview Question – Question's about video games you have never heard of.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details – First interview with store manager, second with metro training store manager, third with district manager.

Interview Question – None. All questions were what you'd expect in a retail based interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Got a fair offer based on previous experience.