GameStop Interview Questions & Reviews

288 interviews

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rego Park, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rego Park, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at GameStop in September 2013.

I didn't really get much of an "interview". My boss is very good friends with one of my close friends and had asked him to find people for him. He asked my friend if I was an okay person and if I would screw him over. Then he proceeded to ask me what my favorite game was, and why. When I told him that I travel across the country to compete in video game tournaments he simply said "oh, so you're in the scene?" he then hired me on the spot.

I was able to negotiate my pay. I asked for something higher than my previous job, and I received a whole dollar more. It's not A LOT, but it's something.

Game Advisor Interview

Went to an open interview. Filled out application and waited my turn.

Min. wage

Store Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in May 2010.

The first interview is done by template, with very by the numbers questions regarding your work ethic and ability to provide customer service. If you are African=American or Hispanic the interviewer will ask you various questions regarding your education, and various other questions they cannot legally ask regarding your living situation and personal life. They will genuinely surprised if you have a degree from any college or university.

i wish I was joking but I've worked in almost every neighborhood in the city and literally every person of color I have worked with or trained has reported receiving this treatment at some point during the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • "What is your ideal job, including hours worked per week and pay?"   View Answer
    There was none. I joined the company in 2004 as a minimum wage cashier. The next year I moved up to assistant manager. Then in 2008 I moved up to store manager. In every instance my pay was determined before any conversation had taken place, my choices in every case were either accept the pay or don't move up.

The annual review scoring structure was changed in 2010 so that no matter how well you do as a salaried manager, you will never get more than a 3% raise per year.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at GameStop.

Give an application at the store get a call back a few weeks later for an interview.

Senior Game Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Savannah, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in September 2012.

I went to a job fair and was just very personable. You do not have to have a vast knowledge of gaming, but you need to be willing to learn quickly and efficiently.

Interview Questions
    • How would I handle a displease customer?   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GameStop.

First interview with store manager, second with metro training store manager, third with district manager.

Interview Questions
    • None. All questions were what you'd expect in a retail based interview.   Answer Question
    Got a fair offer based on previous experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in September 2010.

I had an interview and was hired shortly after. Manager was polite and friendly. No complaints

Interview Questions
    no negotiation really, it was what it was.

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop.

I met with someone in the store about employment and we had a good conversation. I was set up with a group interview with the manager a week later. It was my first ever group interview but it was a good one. I got the job because of my love for video games.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was pretty easy since I love video games.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in October 2013.

The interview process is one call to let you know you need to come in for a in person interview after you put in your application (can take weeks before they call and it has to be in a season they are hiring or if they have hiring now signs)

They will have you go into the backroom, which is usually very full of boxes and games and controllers all over the walls and sit you down to talk to you. My GameStop had a working T.V. and a PS3 hooked up in the back to play games and watch HULU.

The assistant manager (in most cases) will ask you some standard questions, like "what made you want to work for GameStop", what do you know about GameStop? And of course "Why Should we hire you over someone else?"

basically, as long as you have some knowledge in a area not on PC, like Nintendo, or PlayStation, you will be doing fine. If you tell them at any point you are unable to do sales of any sort, you lost your interview and they will move on to someone else.

Try being honest, as this is a small company, there is only gonna be at most like 10 of you all together on the schedule, if you believe you are willing to learn and understand more than you know already, let them know. Share that you want to know feedback for what you are doing wrong and if you can ask questions to improve your sales, I personally was not good at sales before, but I think with those already settup, my managers were more willing to swoop in and help and guide me than if I didn't mention I wanted to learn more.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the interview for me was when they asked what I knew about PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, as they were going to be released that year. I didn't know as much as I wanted hardware wise, or what games were exclusive to the consoles that were coming out on release.   View Answer
    There was not a negotiation phase, you get 7.25 an hour in Virginia Beach as a Game Advisor at any GameStop, they have to save money, as they lose a lot of it every year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at GameStop in November 2012.

The interviews were pretty simple. we were interviewed at a bench outside the mall, and they asked me various questions about my job history and why I wanted the job. I was lucky and had tons of history working QA for various video game companies, so that really helped me out.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a type of ice cream, what type of ice cream would you be?   View Answer
    Negotiate? Ha ha, this was right after the mortgage crisis and I was paid minimum wage and happy to get it. Apparently HUNDREDS of people applied for the job. Ajob with maybe a dozen openings at various stores.