GameStop Seasonal Game Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at GameStop (Augusta, GA).

Interview

Was called in a week after attending a local Gamestop Job Fair. Basic questions on video game knowledge and systems owned. How accustomed I was to pushing membership, driving sales and working with other people.

Interview Questions

• "What Software are you familiar with?" was a question on the form but, the store manager told me to fill it out with my preferred game genres.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate. I was hired as a seasonal adviser and it tends to be whatever the minimum wage is for your state at the time. Be hungry, take all the hours and shifts you can get.

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was quite interesting for me. I walked in and talked to the manager the day of my homecoming football game so I was covered in body paint, and got an interview for an hour later! We walked outside to a table and talked for about fifteen minutes, and we had a lot of questions regarding my sales experience and gaming knowledge. I was honest with every single question he gave me, and I thought I was a bit too honest. They like that though! I came in a couple times during my lunch breaks and got to know the senior game advisors and manager. It was the nicest experience I've had with interviews. They get straight to the point, and are really honest with you.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question I had was trying to remember game titles that I used to play a long time ago.   1 Answer

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at GameStop in August 2014.

Interview

I went in-person and filled out an application on the stop. The hiring manager happened to be there conducting interviews so I got the opportunity to speak with him and schedule an interview the next week. I went in for the interview and it was a very relaxed environment. He tried to make it feel like a conversation rather than an interview which I really appreciated. Basic interview questions and he said he would get back within the next couple weeks. About a month later I got a call saying I was hired for a seasonal position.

Interview Questions

• What can you contribute to this company? Why did you choose GameStop?   Answer Question

Negotiation

none

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

I met with someone in the store about employment and we had a good conversation. I was set up with a group interview with the manager a week later. It was my first ever group interview but it was a good one. I got the job because of my love for video games.

Interview Questions

• The interview was pretty easy since I love video games.   Answer Question

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

You submit an application, they call you back for an interview with lower management. Then if they think they want to hire you, they schedule you in for a second interview with the store's head manager. If your first interview goes great, they skip the second interview. Interview question consists of your future goals, your past experience with customers, your general relationship with co-workers when you work, and your availability.

Interview Questions

• 3 things you believe you need to work on.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They just asked for possible working hours, and then they called me in. Pay was not discussed, neither was the scheduling process, benefits, and so on. Which is pretty bad, I shouldn't have accepted the job without asking them about it but I was just happy to have a job then.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GameStop (Augusta, GA) in November 2013.

Interview

Very laid back. It primarily consisted of explaining my game and gaming console knowledge. Also, I had to pick one "best ever" game and one "worst game experience ever" game and then do an impromptu sales pitch for the game I hated. That sales pitch can make or break your chances of getting the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell me the game you just described as horrible?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation aside from start date and initial scheduling. It is a position that can have 3-12 hours per work week.

Season Game Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop (Las Vegas, NV) in October 2013.

Interview

Very easy main thing was if you were friendly and at least played some games. They wanted to make sure you weren't shy and you were going to be fun to work with.

Season Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Very selective, everyone and their mother will want to work there. Best thing is to get in tight with management, make your presence at midnight releases. A lot of the job has nothing to do with games, but more interaction based. Being a gamer will not get you this job! Having a broad, not extensive, knowledge of games, friendly disposition, and cooperative attitude.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was probably "how do you feel yourself fitting in with the employees and customers?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monterey, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GameStop (Monterey, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

I walked in to see the manager to follow up on the application. I left and ran back to remind him something. That weekend, I got a phone call from the manager for the interview a couple of days later. I went to the mall and there was another guy who was also there for an interview, meaning we had a 2 person group interview. He didn't usually use the book to ask questions but he did this time. We were total opposites but we both got the job and came to work a couple of days later to talk about how the job will be and what we will have to do.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GameStop (Austin, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

I did not get a chance to go to the job fair so I had to go to every GameStop that I wanted to apply at and drop off an application with a resume. GameStop hires heavily right before the holiday season, around early to mid October. This is really the best time to get a small holiday position unless a store has recently had an employee leave. About three to five days after submitting my application I received a call back from the store requesting an interview. After the interview I was offered a position within about five days. I applied to four locations and was offered a position at three stores. Each store manager is given an interview kit with interview questions and how many of them they actually ask is up to the manager. One asked all of them, down the list, another skipped all but four. All of the questions I have are from memory and are guesses at best. Just a look at general interview questions, with a focus on skills/history, personality, and leadership will help. After working there I would highly recommend having a resume and having the application filled out neatly before dropping it off. We (in my three years there) never hired anyone who came in looking for an application, borrowed a pen, and messily filed out the application. The first impression made during the application process was always noted before even reading the application. It is more a matter of experience and professionalism rather than outward appearances. Anything more than a holiday position can become a daunting job if the applicant is not comfortable with a sales position.