GameStop

Updated Oct 26, 2014

2.1

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at GameStop.

Was called in a week after attending a local Gamestop Job Fair. Basic questions on video game knowledge and systems owned. How accustomed I was to pushing membership, driving sales and working with other people.

Interview Questions
  • "What Software are you familiar with?" was a question on the form but, the store manager told me to fill it out with my preferred game genres.   Answer Question
I was not able to negotiate. I was hired as a seasonal adviser and it tends to be whatever the minimum wage is for your state at the time.
Be hungry, take all the hours and shifts you can get.

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GameStop in October 2014.

The interview process was quite interesting for me. I walked in and talked to the manager the day of my homecoming football game so I was covered in body paint, and got an interview for an hour later! We walked outside to a table and talked for about fifteen minutes, and we had a lot of questions regarding my sales experience and gaming knowledge. I was honest with every single question he gave me, and I thought I was a bit too honest. They like that though! I came in a couple times during my lunch breaks and got to know the senior game advisors and manager. It was the nicest experience I've had with interviews. They get straight to the point, and are really honest with you.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I had was trying to remember game titles that I used to play a long time ago.   View Answer

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at GameStop in August 2014.

I went in-person and filled out an application on the stop. The hiring manager happened to be there conducting interviews so I got the opportunity to speak with him and schedule an interview the next week. I went in for the interview and it was a very relaxed environment. He tried to make it feel like a conversation rather than an interview which I really appreciated. Basic interview questions and he said he would get back within the next couple weeks. About a month later I got a call saying I was hired for a seasonal position.

Interview Questions
    • What can you contribute to this company?
      Why did you choose GameStop?

Answer Question
    none

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at GameStop.

I met with someone in the store about employment and we had a good conversation. I was set up with a group interview with the manager a week later. It was my first ever group interview but it was a good one. I got the job because of my love for video games.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was pretty easy since I love video games.   Answer Question

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at GameStop.

You submit an application, they call you back for an interview with lower management. Then if they think they want to hire you, they schedule you in for a second interview with the store's head manager. If your first interview goes great, they skip the second interview. Interview question consists of your future goals, your past experience with customers, your general relationship with co-workers when you work, and your availability.

Interview Questions
    • 3 things you believe you need to work on.   View Answer
    They just asked for possible working hours, and then they called me in. Pay was not discussed, neither was the scheduling process, benefits, and so on. Which is pretty bad, I shouldn't have accepted the job without asking them about it but I was just happy to have a job then.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop in November 2013.

Very laid back. It primarily consisted of explaining my game and gaming console knowledge. Also, I had to pick one "best ever" game and one "worst game experience ever" game and then do an impromptu sales pitch for the game I hated. That sales pitch can make or break your chances of getting the job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell me the game you just described as horrible?   View Answer
    No negotiation aside from start date and initial scheduling. It is a position that can have 3-12 hours per work week.

Season Game Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GameStop.

Very selective, everyone and their mother will want to work there. Best thing is to get in tight with management, make your presence at midnight releases. A lot of the job has nothing to do with games, but more interaction based. Being a gamer will not get you this job! Having a broad, not extensive, knowledge of games, friendly disposition, and cooperative attitude.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was probably "how do you feel yourself fitting in with the employees and customers?"   View Answer
    None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monterey, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monterey, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at GameStop in October 2012.

I walked in to see the manager to follow up on the application. I left and ran back to remind him something. That weekend, I got a phone call from the manager for the interview a couple of days later. I went to the mall and there was another guy who was also there for an interview, meaning we had a 2 person group interview. He didn't usually use the book to ask questions but he did this time. We were total opposites but we both got the job and came to work a couple of days later to talk about how the job will be and what we will have to do.

Season Game Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange Park, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange Park, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GameStop in October 2010.

They asked a lot of questions about what kind of games you played. What different systems you had. I was told a lot of us being interview where customers he'd seen in the store a lot. They wanted to know what your favorite game was and why. And of course asked about your customer service skills. How comfortable you felt with people.

Interview Questions
    It was really quick. I was offered the job and i accepted and began working a few days later.