Games Workshop Interview Questions

2.7

One Man Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Games Workshop in September 2014.

They require a letter with your resume when you apply online. I sent a real, straight forward letter about myself, my past and why I thought I would be a good fit for the position. I normally wouldn't have even applied, but the requested "letter" made me think this was a company that I might be a good fit for it even though I hadn't worked in retail management in over 8 years and the salary was way below my normal rate of pay.

So first, I got a screening call. They asked if I would be able to travel every three months to Tennessee for training and for the initial training. Then, after I passed their "screening" a Skype interview was scheduled about a week in advance. The first Skype interview went really well. There were two interviewers. Both were friendly and didn't ask anything out of the ordinary. Both understood I did not participate in the Hobby, they both understood that my son and husband did. They explained that if I was to go forward, they would contact me the following week and let me know either way.

The following week, I was contacted and another Skype interview was scheduled for the following week. This one went awry. Again, two gentleman were the interviewers. This one was weird because it was like they simply needed to find a reason why I wasn't a good fit. He kept coming up with "challenges" that I would have. And honestly, nothing he mentioned I would have considered a challenge. Then, the focus was that I did not play. Well, I thought they wanted a store manager that could drive sales up and make their store successful. I thought they were looking for someone who excels in customer service. I have the proven ability to bring up sales. I think me not knowing and participating in the hobby is what did me in. But that is okay. I did my best. They did contact me the following week and let me know they were going forward with another candidate. I truly appreciated that.

Interview Questions
    • So, since your last interview, what more do you know about the hobby? ( I am paraphrasing here)   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Games Workshop.

Expect multiple interviews as they are as concerned with "fit" as they are with knowledge and experience. Do your research about the company and use key words: niche market, passionate fans, vertically integrated.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you put the company's interests ahead of your own.   View Answer
    Don't be afraid to go high. They have great benefits but will pay for the right person.

Trade Sales/Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Games Workshop.

I went to through four interviews / screenings. The first is a standard 20 minutes screening with questions like, "Are you eligible to work in this country?" and "Give a bit more detail about the jobs on your resume." After each step it is vital that you call them to set up the next step. This is a test. They will not call you. This job is about being able to call clients and get sales. They want to see if you have the personality to make calls on your own. The second step was a 90 minutes conference call with two people, one is from recruiting and the other was the department manager. This is an actual interview. Be prepared to answer questions like, "Your greatest strength / weakness or why you want the job." Also, have at least 6 questions to ask them. They really like that. Do not ask about money or benefits yet. Remember you will have to call them if you want to go further in the process. They will not tell you this. They will say, "We'll call you in a few days." and you will not hear from them. The third step is an actual in person interview. You will go to the HQ and do four separate interviews. The first is another standard interview, again. You'll basically be asked the same questions as on the conference call, but they expect more in depth answers. “Tell us about a time a customer got angry & how you fixed it.”, “What is you biggest pet peeve in the workplace.” Do not try to say things like, “my worst quality is that I’m just too detail oriented or punctual.” They see right through that. Also, be prepared with even more questions for them. When I asked, “What do you look for in a candidate?” They would tell me. This happened multiple times in this part. I was told, “If I tell you that it would help you too much to give better interview answers.” This part felt more like an interrogation than an interview. I believe that they like to see how you react under pressure. The second step is you go into the retail store of the HQ and pretend to be a manager assisting a guest. This is a role play time. It’s not too hard, but this is where they hope you will relax and see your true personality and see if you act different in an informal setting vs. the interview. They third step is when you’ll actually go to a workstation and sit with someone doing the job and listen in on the phone call they make. Make sure to ask this person questions about what they are doing and don’t just sit there listening to the calls. The final step is just to see if you have any final questions. This was done by a totally different person than the other interviews. My best advice is to ask they all the same questions you’ve already asked and ask, “Is there anything else about me you wish to know?” There was a two-way mirror in the room, but I don’t know if anyone was watching. The final step is another phone call. I was told I was a qualified candidate. You are now in a pipeline waiting until the day they need someone, in case someone quits/fired & etc… So even through all this you will not be hired, you are in a pipeline hoping that either someone else leaves or that they get busy enough to hire more people. I really wanted to work here, but I could not afford to wait anymore.

Interview Questions
    • When was they last time you told a lie?   View Answer

The process had already gone on for more than 10 weeks and then I was told that there wasn't a job open yet. This was a interviewing process to set-up a pipeline of qualified people for a possible future opening.

Staffed Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Games Workshop in January 2013.

Recruitment team screened on phone with phone interview. Flown into Memphis for a second interview. Interviewed with two local guys in Seattle and then received position. Interviews locally were on point and powerful. Corporate interview was horrible. Guy had travel receipts everywhere, answered phone, and did some stuff on his iPad during whole interview. Called me someone else's name twice and told me more about his own accomplishments rather than wondering about mine. He took four phone calls during interview and I should of known better to accept position. The same guy offered me a position on the spot and called me the next day to have me interview with other people.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were disappointed in you own behavior professionally.   View Answer
    Was able to negotiate starting salary and days worked.

Trade Outlet Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Games Workshop in July 2012.

Process was fairly simple. About a week after applying I was contacted by a recruiter and did a pretty straight-forward phone screening. After I passed it I was scheduled for a phone interview. Since I was not familiar with the product it was recommended that I go by the GW store nearest to me and check it out before the phone interview. After passing the phone interview I met with two managers who interviewed me and I spent a few hours listening to other representatives make calls and took part in and even demonstrated a sample game.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me if I were asked by a manager to make a call to a business that had asked me not to call them anymore and make a more aggressive attempt to sell a product they've already told me they weren't interested in to hit a goal would I do it?   View Answer

New Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

The process took a dayinterviewed at Games Workshop in October 2011.

Very bizarre interaction with the people at Games Workshop. The first recruiter who left me a voicemail asking me to call her, never returned any of my messages. The second recruiter was the same way until I happened to catch her in the office. The interview itself was strange, as the recruiter probably spent more time talking then I did. The interview was mostly generic and unimaginative questions. At the end of the interview, I was informed that if I didn't hear back from her within 24 hours, then I needed to call her as she informed me that I was being put through to the next level. The recruiter did not return any of my messages, despite her asking to call her about scheduling the next interview.
    When you read some of the information that is out there about their management and then have these experiences, I am left scratching my head.

Interview Questions
    • What is your least favorite part of the sales process.   Answer Question

Hobby Center Operator - Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Games Workshop in October 2011.

Applications are submitted on-line and received by Recruiters in Memphis, TN. A first interview is done over the phone, a second interview is done in person. Once hired prospective mangers/operators are flown to Memphis, TN for one to two week training, this is at the expense of Games Workshop.

Interview Questions
    • If you are hired, will you put your job before your personal agenda?   Answer Question
    Negotiations are simple, all Hobby Center Operators are given the same starting pay with 20% bonus per year based on your store's growth. Trainees are provided an all expense paid trip to Memphis, TN for training at the North America HQ.

One Man Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Games Workshop in June 2010.

Pretty basic for retail. They check your knowledge of Games Workshop current products. They are only interested in the current products and not what you know about things they aren't currently selling. That can actually be a negative. They are also seeing how enthusiastic you are about working for them.

Interview Questions
    Take the job fanboi or leave, there are a ton of people behind you.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Burnie, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Burnie, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Games Workshop in June 2009.

Awful! The VP sat and talked for over an hour about the entire company's history, products and business philosophies, spending no time talking about the position I applied for. After an hour and a half, I am allowed to ask questions. When asked about the specific responsibilities, she asked back "What do you think?", forcing me to come up with my own answer. She did this again for several other questions. Nevre really answering the questions but making me answer for her.

Only 20 mins. into the convo I wanted to walk out and I left there with very little info about the position. I politely withdrew my application a few days later.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Games Workshop in June 2013.

Very simple. Not as much emphasis on the skills required in the job specifications on the vacancy ad. More to do with whether you're a very good fit within Games Workshop.