Gander Mountain

Average Difficulty
47 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain.

Interview Details – 1 interview, long waiting period, very basic questions during interview. If you apply online you really have to do some follow up work. I applied then had to wait almost a week before I called them and asked them if they had a chance to view my application.

Interview Question – be prepared to answer why you want to work in outdoor sporting goods   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

Novi, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in June 2014.

Interview Details – I was called and the interview was set up for a few days later. The interview was short and sweet. Seems to me they are desperate to get people in there. Was offered the job immediately. Interviewer was very nice and comfortable to be around.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult or unexpected. Basic interview questions like "Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told that with my experience the most she could offer was 8.50.

Geneva, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Gander Mountain in March 2011.

Interview Details – asked alot of questions and took a long time to get back to me first was a phone interview where i was asked a series of questions and then after that i had an interview with a assistant manager. then i had to wait to talk to the store manager

Interview Question – what i did in a tense situation   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – found another job

Store Manager In Training Interview

Store Manager In Training

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in May 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter was great. Very positive and informed. Asked basic management questions and let me know how process should work. District manager called as recruiter said he would but was obviously not into the process at all. Passed me off to a store manager which did not make since when I was a store manager applying for a store manager position? The store manager asked basic questions and wrote down about 4 things? Not in to it either? I had to keep on them to get the rejection notice.. Apparently my 20 years very successful big box (larger than theirs) was not appealing to them? Should have listened to my hunting buddies who said they stink:)

Interview Question – When was your ethics challenged?
Why gander Mountain?
  Answer Question

Receiving Supervisor Interview

Receiving Supervisor

Interviewed at Gander Mountain

Interview Details – They will call you for an interview, then if they like you, you will have a second with the store manager. From there you would go for your background and drug test. If you pass then you have two days of computer training to get done before you are allowed on the floor.

Interview Question – Don't remember any difficult questions   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

Customer Service Associate
Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in April 2013.

Interview Details – Received a phone call from human resources, came in for the first interview with the store manager, and then back in for a second interview with the area manager. This is where I was offered the position by the second manager and the HR person.

Interview Question – what is your experience with selling credit cards or the like?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – nothing

Firearm Sales Associate Interview

Firearm Sales Associate
Amarillo, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in January 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call a week later. Went in to interview and was basically told what I would be doing, went and did a drug test and the next week I was training at customer service.

Interview Question – I really wasn't asked much, I was really only asked about firearm and hunting knowledge.   Answer Question

Fishing Sales Associate Interview

Fishing Sales Associate
Grand Chute, WI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Gander Mountain in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online on a Monday night and got a call the next day to set up the interview, I decided on that Thursday. When I got there, the front desk was very nice and called the manager to let him know I was there. Went into his office and talked about why I wanted to work there and about my previous jobs. He then called in an associate to do another interview with me. That associate was going to have another come in but she was busy with a customer so that was the end of the interview process. It was a very calm process that lasted maybe at most 20 minuets.

Interview Question – What was my most difficult time handling tasks and how did I handle it?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Gander Mountain in March 2014.

Interview Details – There were two interviews. The first was with the department manager and the second was with the store manager. They basically asked questions about what I had done in the past and what my availability was.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to adjust to a change in direction.   View Answer

Footwear Sales Associate Interview

Footwear Sales Associate
La Crosse, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in May 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online. Within 3 weeks I received a call about an interview. I met with one manager, and then later with a second manager. Both asked similar questions, like "how do you approach a customer" and "what is your favorite outdoor memory?" Mostly I was asked about other retail experiences and how I handled situations. After both interviews, I was offered the position on the spot.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was how to approach a customer and begin to make a sale.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me $7,50 and hour, but I was offered $8.25 at my previous positions doing the same job. The manager approved me for $8.25 and hour base plus commission.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Gander Mountain

Worked for Gander Mountain? Contribute to the Community!