Gander Mountain Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.1

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in June 2010.

Initially I was contacted by a recruiter from thier corporate head quarters. She interviewed me by phone for an hour. These questions had to do with previous experience, situational questions about management style, career goals and what I knew about the company.

The following week, I was then contacted by the district manager who had me come in for a 1:1 interview at the store. This interview was somewhat informal and consisted of questions about why I wanted to work for the company, what my interest was in the outdoors, and a review of my job history.

Two days later, I was contacted by the area HR manager. They interviewed me by phone. This interview lasted about 45 minutes and was structured. Typical HR script type questions. Focused on specific expamples of situations and management and leadership style. I was given information on company benefits and a general pay range for this position was discussed.

Week 3, I was contacted by Gander Mountains corporate headquarters and invited to fly to Minnesota to their corporate head quarters for interviews and an evaluation. They made the flight arrangements, rented a car, hotel reservations and reimbursed all the travel expences I encured. Prior to this visit, I was sent a link with 7 online tests to take. These ranged from personality, aptitude and psychological exams. These took a total of 3 hours to complete. My travel arrangements had me fly in, get a car and be to the corporate headquarters for my first interview an hour after I landed. I had 4 interviews in succession with director of store operations, HR director and the corporate recruiter that had initially contacted me. All the questions they asked were straight forward background, management style and situational in nature.

The following morning I had to travel to CPI's offices, a psychologist consulting firm. I then had a 2 hour interview with a psychologist. This was like any other job interview but the questions were much more touchy feely and expanded on my feelings, other people's opinions etc. Uncomfortable and stange. Then I was brought to a room and given 3 more timed tests on my vocabulary, math and interpretations skills. I then had two hours to get to the airport and fly home.

Apon my return, I'm not called for 5 days. Then I am contacted my the district manager to come into the store for my 8th interview. This time I am asked to talk to the outgoing store manager. For the 8th time I explain why I want to work for this company, my work background, my management style etc. Then I get debriefed on what obsticles I will face taking over this store, what is going on with building repairs and maintenance etc. If I had to describe it, I would call it a passing of the torch conversation. I'm also handed a copy of the bonus structure during this meeting.

The following week, I am called and told they are going in a differant direction for this specific location but I am encouraged to stay in touch with them and apply for another position when one comes open.

After 8 interviews, flying 1/2 way across the country and back in two days and spending nearly 20 hours in my car travelling to and from interviews, I'm not sure this is a company I wanted to work for anyway.

Key take aways from conversations I had:
    1) company restructuring, going private due to poor financial performance, history of bankrupcy.
    2) Recent changes in middle management, these guys have history of woking for Budweiser, they don't know retail but, they know business.
    3) Bonus structure not great. 28% of annual salary max, based on sales, profit, shrink, credit card apps, extended warrenties.
    4) Selling guns brings alot of red tape. Someone on your team makes a simple mistake on ATF forms and you and half your team could find yourselves on unemplyment in a heartbeat.
    5) Looking for good ole country boys that drive a pickup and like killen stuff. Present yourself in a blue collar fashion with a hands on approach. Community envolvement with local civic organizations.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in April 2013.

Received a phone call from human resources, came in for the first interview with the store manager, and then back in for a second interview with the area manager. This is where I was offered the position by the second manager and the HR person.

Interview Questions
    • what is your experience with selling credit cards or the like?   View Answer
    nothing

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through other source – interviewed at Gander Mountain.

You will be interviewed at least 3 times. I would suggest you get everything in writing. Each interviewer will ask a series of different questions, answer best you can. Each interview will take 30 - 45 min. ( that was my experience ).

short

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain.

Interviewed with 4 people, 1SVP. , 2 directors and 1EVP
    Interview was held in the corporate headquarters " base camp". 1/2 hour for each interview.
    It is good to go to a store and the competition prior to the interview. They are interested in Bass Pro,Academy and Cabelas. If you come from Best Buy or Target,expect the job to be much broader than what you gave been accustomed to.

Interview Questions
    Yes, I was able to negotiate

Zone Supervisor- Fishing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dickson City, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dickson City, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in July 2014.

I applied online and received a call about a week later. Had an interview with the hardlines manager. The interview with him was more a conversantional interview. That was immediately followed with the soft lines manager asking the situational questions (explain a time type). Then they had me sit down with the store manager that al so had a conversation interview with me.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you mange multiple tasks at once.   View Answer
    No negotiations.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Gander Mountain.

Did two phone interviews after being contacted by a recruiter. Was told that I was being pushed to the next level and would hear something soon. Everyone seemed upbeat and happy to work at Gander Mtn

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gander Mountain in March 2014.

There were two interviews. The first was with the department manager and the second was with the store manager. They basically asked questions about what I had done in the past and what my availability was.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to adjust to a change in direction.   View Answer

Store Manager In Training Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in May 2014.

Recruiter was great. Very positive and informed. Asked basic management questions and let me know how process should work. District manager called as recruiter said he would but was obviously not into the process at all. Passed me off to a store manager which did not make since when I was a store manager applying for a store manager position? The store manager asked basic questions and wrote down about 4 things? Not in to it either? I had to keep on them to get the rejection notice.. Apparently my 20 years very successful big box (larger than theirs) was not appealing to them? Should have listened to my hunting buddies who said they stink:)

Inventory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in December 2009.

I was interviewed by 3 people. 2 Inventory Managers and 1 HR Representative. The interviews were pretty basic, normal interviews. Introductions were given and backgrounds were discussed. Very conversational.

I thought everyone was very friendly and personable.

The office and work culture seemed excellent. People were very friendly and team oriented.

The office was in downtown St. Paul. The building looked as though renovation had been done.

Upper Management Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in October 2011.

Store manager reviewed my resume, said it was very impressive. Asked leading questions like "What would you do if an irate person wanted more than policy allowed". After clarifying the question (is it legal, does it involve firearms, ammunition, etc) gave a precise and sufficient answer that was accepted as very good. Interview continued in this manner, notes were taken by Manager, who seemed very impressed and said I'd be great at the job. I was told they would get back with me. The next day was introduced to my new boss (the position I was interviewed for).
    Very underhanded process. Should have been told upfront the position was already filled. It takes at least a week to get hired so they had already hired someone prior to the interview even though I'd applied three weeks earlier.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an irate person who wanted something that was against company policy?   View Answer
    • How would you handle a consistently tardy employee or someone who calls off every weekend?   View Answer