Gander Mountain Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 19, 2014
Updated Aug 19, 2014
50 interviews

Manager Interview

The interview process was brief. I had an interview scheduled and waited for over an hour to meet with a manager. Afterwords, I would be contacted by another manager to inform me that it would be a couple of weeks to for them to screen the other candidates. I was offered the job and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • How many Gander Mountain stores are there? An obvious question but a good one.   Answer Question

BATF Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Woodbury, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Gander Mountain in August 2013.

I completed an online application and was contacted within a couple of days to schedule an in store interview. I arrived early for my appointment purposely so that I could familiarize myself with the store layout and the items they have on display. When I went to the office for my scheduled interview, I was told the guy was too busy to see me at that time and could I return in five hours to interview with the firearms lead person. I drove nearly one hour from my home to this store so I was a little miffed when told to come back but since I was really wanting the job, I smiled and graciously agreed to return at that time.
    Arriving at the rescheduled time, I was told the interviewer had left early but the lead person would be there shortly and I should speak with him. When we finally met he seemed quite surprised that I was to told to speak with him about the BATF job because that position was not within his (firearms) department. This person was quite apologetic, he took my name and contact information and assured me that the individual who was in charge of the specified job would be contacting me on the following Monday, (this was on a Friday).
    On Monday, I didn't get the call. Not on Tuesday either nor did I receive any calls from anyone at Gander Mountain since.

Interview Questions
    • Could I return in five hours because the interviewer was too busy to see me. Then after arriving at my second scheduled interview, the person (interviewer) left early.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee  in  Geneva, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Geneva, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Gander Mountain in March 2011.

asked alot of questions and took a long time to get back to me first was a phone interview where i was asked a series of questions and then after that i had an interview with a assistant manager. then i had to wait to talk to the store manager

found another job

Receiving Supervisor Interview

They will call you for an interview, then if they like you, you will have a second with the store manager. From there you would go for your background and drug test. If you pass then you have two days of computer training to get done before you are allowed on the floor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Novi, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in June 2014.

I was called and the interview was set up for a few days later. The interview was short and sweet. Seems to me they are desperate to get people in there. Was offered the job immediately. Interviewer was very nice and comfortable to be around.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or unexpected. Basic interview questions like "Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer."   Answer Question
    I was told that with my experience the most she could offer was 8.50.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain.

1 interview, long waiting period, very basic questions during interview. If you apply online you really have to do some follow up work. I applied then had to wait almost a week before I called them and asked them if they had a chance to view my application.

Interview Questions
    • be prepared to answer why you want to work in outdoor sporting goods   Answer Question

Fishing Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Gander Mountain in October 2013.

I filled out an on-line application, was called 3 days after for an interview. The interview was very casual, more of a conversation. It was a mass hiring event for a new store so I was offered a position on the spot, filled out some HR paperwork and received a schedule for training and an address to take a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, basically just an evaluation to see if your interests and experience would benefit the company   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. Base pay plus commission.

Firearm Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Amarillo, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amarillo, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in January 2013.

Applied online and received a call a week later. Went in to interview and was basically told what I would be doing, went and did a drug test and the next week I was training at customer service.

Interview Questions
    • I really wasn't asked much, I was really only asked about firearm and hunting knowledge.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain.

I was called and given the date of my interview. I sat in front of a manager level employee and was asked 4-6 questions. All questions can be found by reading past interviews on this site. I was entirely prepared for the interview thanks to this website.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us something you did outdoors and what equipment did you use?   View Answer
    • What's your most memorable outdoors experience?   View Answer
    I was hired on the spot. They claimed there were a lot of people that applied and were denied but I doubt it. I did really well in my interview but I know of many employees who had mediocre interviews and still got hired on the spot.

Archery Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Paducah, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paducah, KY

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in December 2012.

I applied online. It took almost a month before I was called in. The interview was very straightforward. They didn't ask any technical questions at all and told me product and outdoors knowledge wasn't necessary. They offered me a job at the interview. I took a drug test and background check that took another two weeks to conclude. I've been working there since December 2012.

Interview Questions
    • The only unexpected thing was not being asked about my outdoor expertise at all.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Worked for Gander Mountain? Contribute to the Community!