Gander Mountain

2.1

BATF Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gander Mountain in August 2013.

I completed an online application and was contacted within a couple of days to schedule an in store interview. I arrived early for my appointment purposely so that I could familiarize myself with the store layout and the items they have on display. When I went to the office for my scheduled interview, I was told the guy was too busy to see me at that time and could I return in five hours to interview with the firearms lead person. I drove nearly one hour from my home to this store so I was a little miffed when told to come back but since I was really wanting the job, I smiled and graciously agreed to return at that time.
    Arriving at the rescheduled time, I was told the interviewer had left early but the lead person would be there shortly and I should speak with him. When we finally met he seemed quite surprised that I was to told to speak with him about the BATF job because that position was not within his (firearms) department. This person was quite apologetic, he took my name and contact information and assured me that the individual who was in charge of the specified job would be contacting me on the following Monday, (this was on a Friday).
    On Monday, I didn't get the call. Not on Tuesday either nor did I receive any calls from anyone at Gander Mountain since.

Interview Questions
    • Could I return in five hours because the interviewer was too busy to see me. Then after arriving at my second scheduled interview, the person (interviewer) left early.   View Answer

Operations Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Gander Mountain in May 2013.

I submitted an online application before the new store opened. Was contacted about 2 days later for an interview. Had an interview with the SM and a zone manager. Once the first interview was conducted, another follow up interview the next day was conducted. After the 2nd interview, they contacted with offer of employment contingent upon a background and drug screen initiated within 24 hours of offer.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me about a time when you had to organize a group of people to get a job done?   Answer Question
    I was offered less than what I wanted. I asked for slightly higher over the phone and was given what I asked for.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in April 2013.

Received a phone call from human resources, came in for the first interview with the store manager, and then back in for a second interview with the area manager. This is where I was offered the position by the second manager and the HR person.

Interview Questions
    • what is your experience with selling credit cards or the like?   View Answer
    nothing

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gander Mountain in March 2013.

Fairly straight forward, easy questions. Just why Gander Mountain, what kind of stuff you do other than work and school. Probably the shortest, least thorough interview I've ever had and the guy interviewing me was kind of a douche when I told him where I went to college and he couldn't even remember half the questions he was going to ask. Other than that it was a very easy interview.

Interview Questions
    • None really, just surprised with the cockiness of the interviewer.   Answer Question

The place seemed very unorganized with poor management and employees that didn't seem like they enjoyed their jobs. Also got an offer for another company that paid better and being a college student with bills I couldn't turn that down.

Firearm Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amarillo, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amarillo, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in January 2013.

Applied online and received a call a week later. Went in to interview and was basically told what I would be doing, went and did a drug test and the next week I was training at customer service.

Interview Questions
    • I really wasn't asked much, I was really only asked about firearm and hunting knowledge.   Answer Question

Firearms Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

The Interview Process was great. I spoke with someone on the phone and then had a personal interview with an employee that works there. The process was not bad as there were no questions that i had difficulty with.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you experienced a change in leadership and how did you respond to it?   Answer Question
    There is not a whole lot of room for negotiation.

Fishing Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood, IN

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Gander Mountain in January 2013.

Very infornal jokes and laughed with the strore manager. asked very easy questions, what do i do how much fishing expierence do i have what kind of fishing knowledge of product. What do i want from gander mountain? easy stuff

Interview Questions
    no negotiation really, he offered, i said i cant do that, toild him what i needed we both agreed.

Archery Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paducah, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paducah, KY

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in December 2012.

I applied online. It took almost a month before I was called in. The interview was very straightforward. They didn't ask any technical questions at all and told me product and outdoors knowledge wasn't necessary. They offered me a job at the interview. I took a drug test and background check that took another two weeks to conclude. I've been working there since December 2012.

Interview Questions
    • The only unexpected thing was not being asked about my outdoor expertise at all.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saginaw, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saginaw, MI

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in August 2012.

I submitted an application online, particularly highlighting camping experience-- they liked that, and actually called me within a few weeks (maybe 2 months at most?). I arranged an interview, spoke with the store's HR head then the zone manager for the job briefly.

It began with a short test of outdoor knowledge, covering the different departments: Camping, Hunting/Firearms, Fishing, Footwear, and Apparel. I just had to ace the sections that pertained to me; my lack of fishing knowledge didn't seem to matter.

After that, I was asked (by the HR head) several behavior-based interview questions about past work/life experiences demonstrating leadership, teamwork, and problem solving abilities, as well as questions geared toward customer service. The man was very friendly and we had a few laughs-- definitely a relaxed environment, and I felt a bit overdressed in black dress pants, dress shoes, and a button-down, but overdressed in a good way. I would certainly not recommend under-dressing.

I then spoke to my new zone manager, who was in a rush but very friendly, and we discussed a few of the more technical aspects of the store. I asked a few specific operations questions and he seemed impressed by that.

Afterward I was told I would be contacted within the week for what looked to be a very certain job offer. I was called within the week and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular. Preparation for typical behavior-based interview questions, and review of outdoor gear (knowing types of clothing material and their properties, internal vs external frame backpacks, the anatomy of a kayak, shotgun gauges and chokes, etc.) will be essential to performing well in the interview, but that's about it.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate. It was a first job and as so, I was there more for the experience than the hourly wage.

Firearms Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Gander Mountain in July 2012.

Interview went quickly, there's a basic product knowledge test, and a sit down with the Compliance Officer, the Zone Supervisor, and the Store Manager.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Fairly straight forward interview for a fairly straight forward job.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation on salary or the like.