Gander Mountain Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015

2.1

Fishing Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Gander Mountain in October 2013.

Interview

I filled out an on-line application, was called 3 days after for an interview. The interview was very casual, more of a conversation. It was a mass hiring event for a new store so I was offered a position on the spot, filled out some HR paperwork and received a schedule for training and an address to take a drug test.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions, basically just an evaluation to see if your interests and experience would benefit the company   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Base pay plus commission.

Firearms Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood, IN

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gander Mountain (Greenwood, IN) in September 2013.

Interview

Went well. Easy. No hard questions. Standard interview, standard application process. asked background what qualifications you had product knowledge retail experience sales experience strengths weaknesses expectations work environment training process drug test paperwork

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None. Take it or leave it.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albany, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gander Mountain (Albany, GA) in September 2013.

Interview

There is a brand new store opening here Nov '13 and I applied online. It took 2 months to hear back, but UI got an interview. I was called and I set up an appointment. The interview lasted 10 minutes tops. It was a very relaxed environment. I felt overdressed in my dress shirt and tie. The interview lasted maybe 10-15 minutes tops. I was told I would hear back by the end of last week and heard nothing.

Interview Questions

• "How would you define customer service?"   2 Answers

Manager Interview

Interview

The interview process was brief. I had an interview scheduled and waited for over an hour to meet with a manager. Afterwords, I would be contacted by another manager to inform me that it would be a couple of weeks to for them to screen the other candidates. I was offered the job and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• How many Gander Mountain stores are there? An obvious question but a good one.   Answer Question

Firearm Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flint, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain (Flint, MI) in August 2013.

Interview

Interview is pretty brief, you will be seated with a manager and they will ask you a few questions regarding your knowledge of customer service and what your past experiences in the field were and how you approach different situations, it's pretty basic and easy. I applied for a position in the hunting department and there was a written test involved which was also rather easy.

Interview Questions

• For firearm/hunting associates, there is a written test on your knowledge of the department. It's about 3-4 pages long and asks you basic questions about types of firearms, optics, and different calibers suitable for hunting certain animals.   Answer Question

BATF Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gander Mountain (Woodbury, MN) in August 2013.

Interview

I completed an online application and was contacted within a couple of days to schedule an in store interview. I arrived early for my appointment purposely so that I could familiarize myself with the store layout and the items they have on display. When I went to the office for my scheduled interview, I was told the guy was too busy to see me at that time and could I return in five hours to interview with the firearms lead person. I drove nearly one hour from my home to this store so I was a little miffed when told to come back but since I was really wanting the job, I smiled and graciously agreed to return at that time.
    Arriving at the rescheduled time, I was told the interviewer had left early but the lead person would be there shortly and I should speak with him. When we finally met he seemed quite surprised that I was to told to speak with him about the BATF job because that position was not within his (firearms) department. This person was quite apologetic, he took my name and contact information and assured me that the individual who was in charge of the specified job would be contacting me on the following Monday, (this was on a Friday).
    On Monday, I didn't get the call. Not on Tuesday either nor did I receive any calls from anyone at Gander Mountain since.

Interview Questions

• Could I return in five hours because the interviewer was too busy to see me. Then after arriving at my second scheduled interview, the person (interviewer) left early.   1 Answer

Operations Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Gander Mountain in May 2013.

Interview

I submitted an online application before the new store opened. Was contacted about 2 days later for an interview. Had an interview with the SM and a zone manager. Once the first interview was conducted, another follow up interview the next day was conducted. After the 2nd interview, they contacted with offer of employment contingent upon a background and drug screen initiated within 24 hours of offer.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about a time when you had to organize a group of people to get a job done?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered less than what I wanted. I asked for slightly higher over the phone and was given what I asked for.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain (Cleveland, OH) in April 2013.

Interview

Received a phone call from human resources, came in for the first interview with the store manager, and then back in for a second interview with the area manager. This is where I was offered the position by the second manager and the HR person.

Interview Questions

• what is your experience with selling credit cards or the like?   1 Answer

Negotiation

nothing

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gander Mountain in March 2013.

Interview

Fairly straight forward, easy questions. Just why Gander Mountain, what kind of stuff you do other than work and school. Probably the shortest, least thorough interview I've ever had and the guy interviewing me was kind of a douche when I told him where I went to college and he couldn't even remember half the questions he was going to ask. Other than that it was a very easy interview.

Interview Questions

• None really, just surprised with the cockiness of the interviewer.   Answer Question

The place seemed very unorganized with poor management and employees that didn't seem like they enjoyed their jobs. Also got an offer for another company that paid better and being a college student with bills I couldn't turn that down.

Firearm Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amarillo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain (Amarillo, TX) in January 2013.

Interview

Applied online and received a call a week later. Went in to interview and was basically told what I would be doing, went and did a drug test and the next week I was training at customer service.

Interview Questions

• I really wasn't asked much, I was really only asked about firearm and hunting knowledge.   Answer Question