Gander Mountain Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 8, 2014

1.7

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain.

1 interview, long waiting period, very basic questions during interview. If you apply online you really have to do some follow up work. I applied then had to wait almost a week before I called them and asked them if they had a chance to view my application.

Interview Questions
  • be prepared to answer why you want to work in outdoor sporting goods   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Gander Mountain

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in June 2014.

I was called and the interview was set up for a few days later. The interview was short and sweet. Seems to me they are desperate to get people in there. Was offered the job immediately. Interviewer was very nice and comfortable to be around.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or unexpected. Basic interview questions like "Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer."   Answer Question
    I was told that with my experience the most she could offer was 8.50.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gander Mountain in March 2014.

There were two interviews. The first was with the department manager and the second was with the store manager. They basically asked questions about what I had done in the past and what my availability was.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to adjust to a change in direction.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gander Mountain in September 2013.

There is a brand new store opening here Nov '13 and I applied online. It took 2 months to hear back, but UI got an interview. I was called and I set up an appointment. The interview lasted 10 minutes tops. It was a very relaxed environment. I felt overdressed in my dress shirt and tie. The interview lasted maybe 10-15 minutes tops. I was told I would hear back by the end of last week and heard nothing.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gander Mountain in March 2013.

Fairly straight forward, easy questions. Just why Gander Mountain, what kind of stuff you do other than work and school. Probably the shortest, least thorough interview I've ever had and the guy interviewing me was kind of a douche when I told him where I went to college and he couldn't even remember half the questions he was going to ask. Other than that it was a very easy interview.

Interview Questions
    • None really, just surprised with the cockiness of the interviewer.   Answer Question

The place seemed very unorganized with poor management and employees that didn't seem like they enjoyed their jobs. Also got an offer for another company that paid better and being a college student with bills I couldn't turn that down.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saginaw, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saginaw, MI

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in August 2012.

I submitted an application online, particularly highlighting camping experience-- they liked that, and actually called me within a few weeks (maybe 2 months at most?). I arranged an interview, spoke with the store's HR head then the zone manager for the job briefly.

It began with a short test of outdoor knowledge, covering the different departments: Camping, Hunting/Firearms, Fishing, Footwear, and Apparel. I just had to ace the sections that pertained to me; my lack of fishing knowledge didn't seem to matter.

After that, I was asked (by the HR head) several behavior-based interview questions about past work/life experiences demonstrating leadership, teamwork, and problem solving abilities, as well as questions geared toward customer service. The man was very friendly and we had a few laughs-- definitely a relaxed environment, and I felt a bit overdressed in black dress pants, dress shoes, and a button-down, but overdressed in a good way. I would certainly not recommend under-dressing.

I then spoke to my new zone manager, who was in a rush but very friendly, and we discussed a few of the more technical aspects of the store. I asked a few specific operations questions and he seemed impressed by that.

Afterward I was told I would be contacted within the week for what looked to be a very certain job offer. I was called within the week and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular. Preparation for typical behavior-based interview questions, and review of outdoor gear (knowing types of clothing material and their properties, internal vs external frame backpacks, the anatomy of a kayak, shotgun gauges and chokes, etc.) will be essential to performing well in the interview, but that's about it.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate. It was a first job and as so, I was there more for the experience than the hourly wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookfield, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookfield, WI

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Gander Mountain in May 2011.

So first I interview with one of the Managers, and it just turns out that I actually got the legit Store Manager. We went into the back "lodge" area and had a real informal conversation. He skimmed my resume. He asked a lot about outdoor experience that I had, asked me some basic "fun" questions like favorite trips, favorite food, stuff like that. Basically trying to get a feel for me. He said we'd be in touch and I left. Couple days later I got called back for a 2nd interview. This one was with the HR rep. She was very nice, she asked more of the typical interview questions, most challenging time in a workplace, strengths, weaknesses, etc. All pretty cut and paste questions, nothing too difficult. Again, the atmosphere here is VERY relaxed. I filled out a few general paperwork stuff, got a little guidebook to read, then was given the info on where to take my drug test. Took the test, went back for a 3rd Interview. This time with the HR Rep and the Department Manager. They both asked me a few questions, very relaxed, then I filled out my final forms and was hired. The entire process is very relaxed. Just be yourself, and you'll do fine.

Interview Questions
    They generally pay a little more then you would think here. Start a little high, you might end up getting more then you would originally think.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocala, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocala, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Gander Mountain in April 2011.

Called to set up appointment after online process.

Interview Questions
    • The questions where very basic and where from a sheet the guy had in front of him. looks like they ask everyone the same question. Tell me what you know about the store, tell me a time you worked in a team. blah blah blah   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gander Mountain in March 2011.

asked alot of questions and took a long time to get back to me first was a phone interview where i was asked a series of questions and then after that i had an interview with a assistant manager. then i had to wait to talk to the store manager

found another job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gander Mountain in March 2010.

I was recruited to Gander Mountain from Best Buy when they opened the new "Tech Center". The interview process was smooth and simple. They use the same general questions as any other company will during a final interview. Something strange that happened though, I never actually interviewed with the General Manager. But, then again, I went through the first of two interviews without actually applying for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time during which you had to meet a tight deadline. How did you achieve your goal?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you were part of a group full of people you didn't know. How did you interact with others?   Answer Question
    They were very open to pay scale negotiation. I was offered a pay rate higher than I probably would have ever seen at Best Buy. That was surprising.