Gannett Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2015

2.9

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gannett (McLean, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

HORRIBLE. I applied for a position MONTHS AGO online...so far that position still isn't filled and it's been over 2 months. I've taken time to speak with 2 HR people on multiple occasions beginning JANUARY 2015 when they lowballed the position salary-wise for me to politely say "thanks but no thanks" to get CALLED BACK by them saying they'll up the salary, to finally get what was supposed to be an interview with both of them 2 weeks ago.I went to the interview with a schedule to meet with the recruiter for 15 minutes, then the second HR person was supposed to be 30 minutes...I really never met with the recruiter..she walked me up to the second interview but there was no interview with her directly. I then meet with the second HR person for not even 10 minutes before she wanted to check and see if this VP who the position reports to was available to meet with me. This wasn't on my agenda, and he only had 10 minutes to meet with me, so that did not qualify as an interview. I felt slighted to get tossed in to someone's office to get 10 minutes of time to really talk small talk for him to need to rush out. Was awkward. The next day, I got an email from the recruiter whom I didn't get to meet with asking me for 2 PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES. I sent her 3. She called every one of them to then send me an email asking me for a reference for my CURRENT EMPLOYER. She did not request that initially and if she needed that I would have omitted another one she pestered. She called my current employer to then email me again asking for a reference for a SUPERVISOR on that job. Well, I am a professional, she already called 4 REFERENCES WHICH SURPASSED THE 2 SHE WANTED IN THE 1ST PLACE, and frankly, I came out of a large organization that only does employment verifications, which is suitable for every employer now because most of them have the same policy. If I hadn't left the job entirely, she wouldn't have been able to call them AT ALL. So, she spoke to 3 people on a personal level who more than conveyed my qualifications, then got the information confirmed from my last employer. I heard nothing from her, and my references were annoyed because I'm actively interviewing and they are busy people...I hear about every call they get because they want me to know how many they're getting. People interviewing have to be very sparing with their references as they are valuable and NO ONE SHOULD BE CHECKING THEM AT ALL UNTIL AN OFFER IS BEING CONSIDERED.I'VE NEVER HEARD OF AN EMPLOYER CHECKING REFERENCES BEFORE SECOND INTERVIEWS for an ADMIN POSITION..IT'S A WASTE OF TIME AND IT'S IRRATIONAL

Interview Questions

• I need 2 professional references   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gannett (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

First was a phone screen. I was asked specific finance related questions about journal entries, variance analysis and pivot tables. Then a 1:1 interview where the company met me and personal things were asked and shared to get to know me as a person. Then the third and final interview was a general phone interview with someone out of state who was higher up in the company. The entire hiring process went great.

Interview Questions

• Explain what variance analysis is.   1 Answer

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gannett (Indianapolis, IN) in February 2015.

Interview

Was an excellent hiring fair. There were three separate interviews over the course of about two hours. Food and drinks were provided. The staff were friendly and continually asked us if we had any questions for them or about the company. Overall, it was an excellent interview process.

Interview Questions

• Several questions on all facets of sales and experience   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gannett in February 2015.

Interview

This position is for account executive for retail accounts. I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter about the role. The recruiter asked questions about B2B sales and experiences using questions relating to the role set expectations on salary and day-to-day overview. The recruiter later sets up an in-person interview with hiring manager. The hiring manager asked questions about sales competencies and previous experiences. I interviewed with HR manager that same day. A week later I was asked to meet with the sales manager who asked S.T.A.R related questions about previous sales examples. I was later asked to complete an assessment and 1 day later provided references. I was called by sales manager 3 days later with an initial verbal offer. I accepted 2 days later and received offer letter the next week pending background check and drug screening.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your greatest sale you made?   1 Answer

Newspaper Carrier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gannett.

Interview

If you can read, write, breathe and drive a vehicle most likely you will get hired. This job has no room for improvement. You will go no where with this job. As a matter of fact you do not even get raises. You may even wind up with a pay cut since contract negotiations for pay are mandatory at least once a year. If you miss a customer's paper and it is reported to the company and you get charged a fee. Often that fee will cost you a year's worth of profit from that one customer since the average profit is less than .05 per customer per paper delivered. There is NO gas allowance either.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. You accept the offer or don't get hired.

Producer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gannett.

Interview

I applied online and received a call from a recruiter the next day. It was a pretty simple phone screen- he asked about previous work experience and explained the job duties. I was then emailed a date and time to come in and meet with the manager and director. Again, it was a standard interview. They reviewed my resume, asked about specific duties I had performed, and explained the job responsibilities.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Gannett (McLean, VA) in December 2014.

Interview

Started on a good tone with polite emails being exchanged between me and the HR. She scheduled me for a Technical interview which I feel went very well. I however never heard back from her, even after repeated follow-ups. Very unprofessional experience.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fisher, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Gannett (Fisher, IL).

Interview

I had one phone interview and two interviews on site. The first team of interviewers did not ask many questions, and I found myself trying to 'lead' the interview. The second person who I interviewed with seemed as if I was wasting his time. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Oddly enough, the first team of interviewers did not ask a lot of questions. It felt as if I had to guide them into the interview.   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gannett (McLean, VA).

Interview

HR Recruiter reached out, asked the standard questions and scheduled a 30 min Phone Call with the Hiring manager. Hiring Manager wanted to talk more and was invited for an in-person interview a week later. Interview was about Skill Set, Experience, no unusual questions. Was given a case study to work on and was asked to meet team members, this last round was scheduled the following week.

Interview Questions

• Talk about emerging technologies and your interest in them and how you go about integrating new tech.   Answer Question

Director of Data Governance Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gannett (McLean, VA).

Interview

The recruiter found me on social media and asked if I'd be interested in interviewing for the job. Started with the phone interview with the recruiter. He provided some basic information about the job and the company. I learned how big Gannett is. Then I had 2 more phone interviews - each with different VPs of finance. One VP was far more knowledgeable about this new role than the other. The 2nd VP helped me to understand the scale of the problem - and was impressed with the insightful questions that I asked. Showed that I had done this before. He was, however, concerned about the scale of the data governance project at my current company - which is about 7 or 8 times smaller than Gannett. He arranged for me to talk with their consultant - who had been there for 9 months working on the data governance project. When I talked to the consultant, about 1 week later, however, I can see that they weren't serious about persuing me further - due to the scale differences in the data governance project between Gannett and my current company. I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual. They wanted to know about the scale of data governance programs that I've managed. So most of the questions were around that. One question (which I was prepared for) was about how I would go about starting this new program (data governance) at Gannett. It was a brand new program that they wanted to kick off.   1 Answer