Gannett Interview Questions

2.9

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gannett in July 2013.

I had interviews with 6 people--one with a recruiter over the phone, four face-to-face with employees and one with the hiring manager. The on-site interviews required three separate visits. When I finished the interview with the hiring manager, he asked me to complete an two "test" projects using methods and practices I'd used at another company. I completed and submitted both before the deadline we'd agreed upon and never heard a word from him or anyone else. When I called, I was told I "wasn't a good fit" for the position. However, what really happened is the hiring manager stole my ideas and asked a current employee to implement them. (I know this because someone internally told me). So, I sent a "cease and desist" message to the hiring manager and added copyrights to all my work samples.

Director of Data Governance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gannett.

The recruiter found me on social media and asked if I'd be interested in interviewing for the job. Started with the phone interview with the recruiter. He provided some basic information about the job and the company. I learned how big Gannett is. Then I had 2 more phone interviews - each with different VPs of finance. One VP was far more knowledgeable about this new role than the other. The 2nd VP helped me to understand the scale of the problem - and was impressed with the insightful questions that I asked. Showed that I had done this before. He was, however, concerned about the scale of the data governance project at my current company - which is about 7 or 8 times smaller than Gannett. He arranged for me to talk with their consultant - who had been there for 9 months working on the data governance project. When I talked to the consultant, about 1 week later, however, I can see that they weren't serious about persuing me further - due to the scale differences in the data governance project between Gannett and my current company. I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unusual. They wanted to know about the scale of data governance programs that I've managed. So most of the questions were around that. One question (which I was prepared for) was about how I would go about starting this new program (data governance) at Gannett. It was a brand new program that they wanted to kick off.   View Answer

Market Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online - interviewed at Gannett in July 2014.

Loved the hiring manager, she seemed like she would be great to work for. The interview process was fairly brief and to the point, no complaints there. However, in my initial application, I provided salary history and salary expectations, which they must have completely overlooked. When it came time to make me an offer, they offered me significantly less than I currently make and acted surprised when the amount offered was not satisfactory. I'm not sure why they moved me through the whole process, knowing that the position was not within my salary range.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would go about gathering data for a client presentation.   Answer Question

Salary offered was not in line with initial expectations.

News Reporter Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Gannett.

Phone interview with editor then a meet with editor and managing editor face to face. They asked for and checked references. Writing test. Some sitting around waiting for the next person to become available for interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. Typical questions about work history. The interview process was a breeze.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Journalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  White Plains, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gannett in April 2010.

Interview with HR rep, interview with editor. There was a writing test. Have a clip file ready. Be prepared to do a try-out story on short notice -- deadline that afternoon. Make sure to read the paper and be able to discuss current events.

HRIS Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gannett in July 2014.

Everyone involved in the interview process was very friendly and made me feel welcome. Kept me updated on further interview status frequently via email. I was given clear instructions about what to expect upon arrival. I was introduced to many individuals throughout my visit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a mistake and what did you do   Answer Question

Staff Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bethany Beach, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethany Beach, DE

Interviewed twice, once in OC, once in Bethany for job in Bethany Beach. Had to go to Salisbury for a drug test (mouth swab) and get a driving record completed at the DMV. The editor who hired me seemed friendly and nice, only after I was hired did I find out she was unexperienced with questionable news judgement.

Traffic Specialist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Gannett.

I had a three person panel interview. There were no real trick wuestions. I would say that they want
    someone with experience working with Wide Orbit. It was not a very stressful interview. I am hoping to get a call bak or offer soon. I think the interview went well.

Ruby On Rails Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Interviewer doesn't care what you know, how hard you work or how much grit you may have. Either you solve his 3 puzzles or you go home. That's the interview.

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Gannett.

long long long. interviewed four times plus took tests. Interviews were rescheduled twice. interviewer seemed unprepared. the questions asked at different interviews by different people seemed redundant and canned.

there were no negotiations

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!