Gannett Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.9

Journalist Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Gannett.

Interview

Went through multiple people including the top editors. Fairly standard process. Was given a few test assignments and had to explain what I would do to complete them. Writing test, copy editing etc.

Interview Questions

• How would you cover this current news event (the drought, the shooting in charleston)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted their initial salary offer.

Artist Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gannett in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call. When I came in for an interview there was an interview portion with 2 interviewers. Then there was a tour of the company and assessments were administered based on typing skills, and proficiency in adobe suite software on mac computers.

Group Learner and Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Gannett (Jacksonville, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview that was very professional and easy going. It was my first phone interview and I was impressed that I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be.

Campaign Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gannett in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and heard from a corporate recruiter a week later. We set up a phone interview for the following day and then afterwards we set up an in person interview which was the following week. That interview consisted of me and two managers, after that interview i met immediately with the head manager. Was given an offer the following business day.

Interview Questions

• What would your last employer say is your biggest weakness or area of improvement?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gannett (McLean, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

HORRIBLE. I applied for a position MONTHS AGO online...so far that position still isn't filled and it's been over 2 months. I've taken time to speak with 2 HR people on multiple occasions beginning JANUARY 2015 when they lowballed the position salary-wise for me to politely say "thanks but no thanks" to get CALLED BACK by them saying they'll up the salary, to finally get what was supposed to be an interview with both of them 2 weeks ago.I went to the interview with a schedule to meet with the recruiter for 15 minutes, then the second HR person was supposed to be 30 minutes...I really never met with the recruiter..she walked me up to the second interview but there was no interview with her directly. I then meet with the second HR person for not even 10 minutes before she wanted to check and see if this VP who the position reports to was available to meet with me. This wasn't on my agenda, and he only had 10 minutes to meet with me, so that did not qualify as an interview. I felt slighted to get tossed in to someone's office to get 10 minutes of time to really talk small talk for him to need to rush out. Was awkward. The next day, I got an email from the recruiter whom I didn't get to meet with asking me for 2 PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES. I sent her 3. She called every one of them to then send me an email asking me for a reference for my CURRENT EMPLOYER. She did not request that initially and if she needed that I would have omitted another one she pestered. She called my current employer to then email me again asking for a reference for a SUPERVISOR on that job. Well, I am a professional, she already called 4 REFERENCES WHICH SURPASSED THE 2 SHE WANTED IN THE 1ST PLACE, and frankly, I came out of a large organization that only does employment verifications, which is suitable for every employer now because most of them have the same policy. If I hadn't left the job entirely, she wouldn't have been able to call them AT ALL. So, she spoke to 3 people on a personal level who more than conveyed my qualifications, then got the information confirmed from my last employer. I heard nothing from her, and my references were annoyed because I'm actively interviewing and they are busy people...I hear about every call they get because they want me to know how many they're getting. People interviewing have to be very sparing with their references as they are valuable and NO ONE SHOULD BE CHECKING THEM AT ALL UNTIL AN OFFER IS BEING CONSIDERED.I'VE NEVER HEARD OF AN EMPLOYER CHECKING REFERENCES BEFORE SECOND INTERVIEWS for an ADMIN POSITION..IT'S A WASTE OF TIME AND IT'S IRRATIONAL

Interview Questions

• I need 2 professional references   1 Answer

Revenue Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gannett (Lafayette, LA) in March 2015.

Interview

Called by the supervisor who was located in another state as this was a regional position. She set up an interview at the local Gannett office and said we would web-ex her for the interview. The on-site manager and I clicked very well. We could not keep the other interviewer connected, so she just called in and he put her on speaker. I was over qualified for the position but explained that I wanted less responsibility. I heard nothing for over 2 months and then finally received an email that I was not chosen for the job. I had pretty much figured that out after a couple of weeks. I had a good laugh over that and was happy that I had not been offered the position.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gannett (Tempe, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

This is a position for Flask/Django Developer at tempe Az, had two rounds 1) technical screening 2) Just a roles and resposibility converstaion to knw how u respond to situations

Interview Questions

• Python: is PEP8? wat are decorators? tell me more about heap sort? how do u store ur code?   Answer Question

Digital Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gannett (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

I was recommended by the recruiter, who did a good job qualifying me, for an in person interview. This was an extremely poor in person interview by an inexperienced person who asked me no relevant questions. I arrived early, but the interviewer came out to get me 20 minutes late. He gave little to no introduction or information, Despite the fact that the position involves digital media, and I could see him looking at my resume on his computer screen, he asked me for a hard copy of my resume (??). I was not advised to bring a hard copy, and this seemed counterintuitive for a position centered around digital product. The entire Interview consisted of him sitting behind his desk and repeating several times "what do you want to ask me?" It seemed like he used this as a tactic to cover for being unprepared and not knowing how to effectively lead or conduct an interview. I was told I would receive a response by the following Friday, but I did not, and my follow up was ignored. After the initial screening by the recruiter, the process was unprofessional and ineffective, and wasted everyone's time.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gannett (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

First was a phone screen. I was asked specific finance related questions about journal entries, variance analysis and pivot tables. Then a 1:1 interview where the company met me and personal things were asked and shared to get to know me as a person. Then the third and final interview was a general phone interview with someone out of state who was higher up in the company. The entire hiring process went great.

Interview Questions

• Explain what variance analysis is.   1 Answer

Full Stack Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gannett (McLean, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

Went through a process of several phone calls, the final being part technical screening, part interview with managers. The technical interview was conducting before a panel of developers at gannett as well as in the presence of the hiring managers. Different members of the team took turns coming up with questions and brain teasers for me to answer.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions included brainteasers such as: 1) You have 2 eggs and a building with 100 stories, what is the most efficient way to determine the highest floor you can drop an egg from? 2) There are 10 soldiers on one side of a river & 2 boys in a small boat on the river. The boat can hold 2 boys, or one soldier- how can all the soldiers be transported across the river? 3) 2 trains are travelling, determine all the possible questions needed to know when they will pass each other fully? 4) how can you determine the angle between the minute hand and hour hand of a watch? Followed by technical questions drawing on knowledge of HTML, CSS, Javascript. This included questions about writing algorithms to reverse strings, perform searches, etc. Basic algorithm questions really.   1 Answer