Gannett Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

2.9

Journalist Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Gannett.

Interview

Went through multiple people including the top editors. Fairly standard process. Was given a few test assignments and had to explain what I would do to complete them. Writing test, copy editing etc.

Interview Questions

• How would you cover this current news event (the drought, the shooting in charleston)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted their initial salary offer.

Campaign Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gannett in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and heard from a corporate recruiter a week later. We set up a phone interview for the following day and then afterwards we set up an in person interview which was the following week. That interview consisted of me and two managers, after that interview i met immediately with the head manager. Was given an offer the following business day.

Interview Questions

• What would your last employer say is your biggest weakness or area of improvement?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gannett (McLean, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

HORRIBLE. I applied for a position MONTHS AGO online...so far that position still isn't filled and it's been over 2 months. I've taken time to speak with 2 HR people on multiple occasions beginning JANUARY 2015 when they lowballed the position salary-wise for me to politely say "thanks but no thanks" to get CALLED BACK by them saying they'll up the salary, to finally get what was supposed to be an interview with both of them 2 weeks ago.I went to the interview with a schedule to meet with the recruiter for 15 minutes, then the second HR person was supposed to be 30 minutes...I really never met with the recruiter..she walked me up to the second interview but there was no interview with her directly. I then meet with the second HR person for not even 10 minutes before she wanted to check and see if this VP who the position reports to was available to meet with me. This wasn't on my agenda, and he only had 10 minutes to meet with me, so that did not qualify as an interview. I felt slighted to get tossed in to someone's office to get 10 minutes of time to really talk small talk for him to need to rush out. Was awkward. The next day, I got an email from the recruiter whom I didn't get to meet with asking me for 2 PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES. I sent her 3. She called every one of them to then send me an email asking me for a reference for my CURRENT EMPLOYER. She did not request that initially and if she needed that I would have omitted another one she pestered. She called my current employer to then email me again asking for a reference for a SUPERVISOR on that job. Well, I am a professional, she already called 4 REFERENCES WHICH SURPASSED THE 2 SHE WANTED IN THE 1ST PLACE, and frankly, I came out of a large organization that only does employment verifications, which is suitable for every employer now because most of them have the same policy. If I hadn't left the job entirely, she wouldn't have been able to call them AT ALL. So, she spoke to 3 people on a personal level who more than conveyed my qualifications, then got the information confirmed from my last employer. I heard nothing from her, and my references were annoyed because I'm actively interviewing and they are busy people...I hear about every call they get because they want me to know how many they're getting. People interviewing have to be very sparing with their references as they are valuable and NO ONE SHOULD BE CHECKING THEM AT ALL UNTIL AN OFFER IS BEING CONSIDERED.I'VE NEVER HEARD OF AN EMPLOYER CHECKING REFERENCES BEFORE SECOND INTERVIEWS for an ADMIN POSITION..IT'S A WASTE OF TIME AND IT'S IRRATIONAL

Interview Questions

• I need 2 professional references   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gannett (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

First was a phone screen. I was asked specific finance related questions about journal entries, variance analysis and pivot tables. Then a 1:1 interview where the company met me and personal things were asked and shared to get to know me as a person. Then the third and final interview was a general phone interview with someone out of state who was higher up in the company. The entire hiring process went great.

Interview Questions

• Explain what variance analysis is.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gannett (Tempe, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

This is a position for Flask/Django Developer at tempe Az, had two rounds 1) technical screening 2) Just a roles and resposibility converstaion to knw how u respond to situations

Interview Questions

• Python: is PEP8? wat are decorators? tell me more about heap sort? how do u store ur code?   Answer Question

Digital Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gannett (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

I was recommended by the recruiter, who did a good job qualifying me, for an in person interview. This was an extremely poor in person interview by an inexperienced person who asked me no relevant questions. I arrived early, but the interviewer came out to get me 20 minutes late. He gave little to no introduction or information, Despite the fact that the position involves digital media, and I could see him looking at my resume on his computer screen, he asked me for a hard copy of my resume (??). I was not advised to bring a hard copy, and this seemed counterintuitive for a position centered around digital product. The entire Interview consisted of him sitting behind his desk and repeating several times "what do you want to ask me?" It seemed like he used this as a tactic to cover for being unprepared and not knowing how to effectively lead or conduct an interview. I was told I would receive a response by the following Friday, but I did not, and my follow up was ignored. After the initial screening by the recruiter, the process was unprofessional and ineffective, and wasted everyone's time.

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gannett (Tampa, FL) in February 2015.

Interview

Very Intensive for such an entry-level position. Pretty in-depth phone interview with executive producer, followed by in-person interview with News Director and writing test the next day. Interviewers didn't necessarily ask tough questions, but they were very thorough. Make sure you have a lot of questions as that seemed to work well for me.

Interview Questions

• What would your former anchors say about you?   1 Answer

Full Stack Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gannett (McLean, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

Went through a process of several phone calls, the final being part technical screening, part interview with managers. The technical interview was conducting before a panel of developers at gannett as well as in the presence of the hiring managers. Different members of the team took turns coming up with questions and brain teasers for me to answer.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions included brainteasers such as:

1) You have 2 eggs and a building with 100 stories, what is the most efficient way to determine the highest floor you can drop an egg from?

2) There are 10 soldiers on one side of a river & 2 boys in a small boat on the river. The boat can hold 2 boys, or one soldier- how can all the soldiers be transported across the river?

3) 2 trains are travelling, determine all the possible questions needed to know when they will pass each other fully?

4) how can you determine the angle between the minute hand and hour hand of a watch?

Followed by technical questions drawing on knowledge of HTML, CSS, Javascript. This included questions about writing algorithms to reverse strings, perform searches, etc. Basic algorithm questions really.

1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gannett in February 2015.

Interview

This position is for account executive for retail accounts. I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter about the role. The recruiter asked questions about B2B sales and experiences using questions relating to the role set expectations on salary and day-to-day overview. The recruiter later sets up an in-person interview with hiring manager. The hiring manager asked questions about sales competencies and previous experiences. I interviewed with HR manager that same day. A week later I was asked to meet with the sales manager who asked S.T.A.R related questions about previous sales examples. I was later asked to complete an assessment and 1 day later provided references. I was called by sales manager 3 days later with an initial verbal offer. I accepted 2 days later and received offer letter the next week pending background check and drug screening.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your greatest sale you made?   1 Answer

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gannett (Indianapolis, IN) in February 2015.

Interview

Was an excellent hiring fair. There were three separate interviews over the course of about two hours. Food and drinks were provided. The staff were friendly and continually asked us if we had any questions for them or about the company. Overall, it was an excellent interview process.

Interview Questions

• Several questions on all facets of sales and experience   Answer Question