Gannett Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.8

Designer Interview

Interview

I talked with the creative director on the phone. At that time I wasn't too sure how the design studio operated, so I asked a couple questions, but the CD did most of the talking. Went for a visit a couple weeks later, but there was never a formal interview process. I felt like I was doing the interviewing, which was easier, but also unsettling. Come to find out there is a pretty high turnover rate, so that may be why it was so stress-free.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Springfield, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett (West Springfield, VA).

Interview

Initially contacted by Talent/HR Recruiter to set up initial phone interview, second and final interview was with the President and CEO of division I was going to be working for.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gannett (Rancho Cucamonga, CA).

Interview

Interviewed with a recruiter first, phone only. Basic questions, was provided with little insight on the company and basic salary & commission structure. Second interview was with an area sales manager. This interview lasted 2 hours for me. Lots of insight on the day to day activities of the rep. Mostly they want to know how well you work independently, handle stress of deadlines, and meet goals. Third interview with regional manager and VP. The entire hiring process was about a month.

Interview Questions

• How do you overcome objections to meet your sales goal?   1 Answer

Purchasing Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Gannett (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Very impressed. 3 face-to-face; 1st including IQ, situational aptitude and behavioral testing. Was asked to write brief essay on why I wanted to work for the company. Very professional interview process.

Interview Questions

• Given a specified negotiating situation (can't recall specifics), what would be my strategy for closing a favorable transaction for the company.   Answer Question

Journalist Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Gannett.

Interview

Went through multiple people including the top editors. Fairly standard process. Was given a few test assignments and had to explain what I would do to complete them. Writing test, copy editing etc.

Interview Questions

• How would you cover this current news event (the drought, the shooting in charleston)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted their initial salary offer.

Artist Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call. When I came in for an interview there was an interview portion with 2 interviewers. Then there was a tour of the company and assessments were administered based on typing skills, and proficiency in adobe suite software on mac computers.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett (McLean, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial contact through referral. Phone screen with Sr. Manager and then very thorough phone screen with another manager 2 or 3 days later. Within 24 hours scheduled for in person interview which took place the following week.

Interview Questions

• Focused on project and specific examples of individual contributions   Answer Question

Campaign Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and heard from a corporate recruiter a week later. We set up a phone interview for the following day and then afterwards we set up an in person interview which was the following week. That interview consisted of me and two managers, after that interview i met immediately with the head manager. Was given an offer the following business day.

Interview Questions

• What would your last employer say is your biggest weakness or area of improvement?   Answer Question

Group Learner and Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gannett (Jacksonville, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview that was very professional and easy going. It was my first phone interview and I was impressed that I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gannett (McLean, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

HORRIBLE. I applied for a position MONTHS AGO online...so far that position still isn't filled and it's been over 2 months. I've taken time to speak with 2 HR people on multiple occasions beginning JANUARY 2015 when they lowballed the position salary-wise for me to politely say "thanks but no thanks" to get CALLED BACK by them saying they'll up the salary, to finally get what was supposed to be an interview with both of them 2 weeks ago.I went to the interview with a schedule to meet with the recruiter for 15 minutes, then the second HR person was supposed to be 30 minutes...I really never met with the recruiter..she walked me up to the second interview but there was no interview with her directly. I then meet with the second HR person for not even 10 minutes before she wanted to check and see if this VP who the position reports to was available to meet with me. This wasn't on my agenda, and he only had 10 minutes to meet with me, so that did not qualify as an interview. I felt slighted to get tossed in to someone's office to get 10 minutes of time to really talk small talk for him to need to rush out. Was awkward. The next day, I got an email from the recruiter whom I didn't get to meet with asking me for 2 PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES. I sent her 3. She called every one of them to then send me an email asking me for a reference for my CURRENT EMPLOYER. She did not request that initially and if she needed that I would have omitted another one she pestered. She called my current employer to then email me again asking for a reference for a SUPERVISOR on that job. Well, I am a professional, she already called 4 REFERENCES WHICH SURPASSED THE 2 SHE WANTED IN THE 1ST PLACE, and frankly, I came out of a large organization that only does employment verifications, which is suitable for every employer now because most of them have the same policy. If I hadn't left the job entirely, she wouldn't have been able to call them AT ALL. So, she spoke to 3 people on a personal level who more than conveyed my qualifications, then got the information confirmed from my last employer. I heard nothing from her, and my references were annoyed because I'm actively interviewing and they are busy people...I hear about every call they get because they want me to know how many they're getting. People interviewing have to be very sparing with their references as they are valuable and NO ONE SHOULD BE CHECKING THEM AT ALL UNTIL AN OFFER IS BEING CONSIDERED.I'VE NEVER HEARD OF AN EMPLOYER CHECKING REFERENCES BEFORE SECOND INTERVIEWS for an ADMIN POSITION..IT'S A WASTE OF TIME AND IT'S IRRATIONAL

Interview Questions

• I need 2 professional references   1 Answer