Gannett

50 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Gannett in August 2012.

Interview Details – Three part process, phone, role play, and in person

Interview Question – Why sales?   View Answer

Copy Editor Interview

Interviewed at Gannett

Interview Details – I was asked to interview by the company. They emailed me to see if I would be interested in applying because I was recommended as a potential candidate. Arranging a meeting time was very easy, and the interview itself was relaxed but professional. I also had to take a copy editing test that was timed. This was a small publication, so the process was a bit less formal. They let me know by email and phone that they were offering me a job.

Interview Question – They wanted to know if I would be available and comfortable doing work out of the office. Sometimes I would need to edit breaking news when I wasn't meant to be working, and they wanted to know if that was acceptable.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Broadcast Engineer Interview

Knoxville, TN

I applied in-person - interviewed at Gannett in December 2013.

Interview Details – Unless you have well-rooted connections in management, don't expect to get an interview, and if you do, downplay your qualifications because the management structure of Gannett favors promoting people unqualified for their positions and anyone possessing actual job skills is viewed as a threat to their employment security. If you wish to work here, just kiss up to the interviewer and anyone you encounter who looks to be in authority as that is the only thing your actual job will ever entail. Don't worry about your abilities or lack thereof to perform the listed job description. Short of burning down the building, the less qualified you appear, the more likely you are to be hired and retained by Gannett.

Interview Question – When asked about your ability to work alternative shifts, even if you are open to this possibility, refuse. Managers view a strong work ethic as a sign of poor self esteem and will ruthlessly exploit any answer in the affirmative when it comes to filling holes in the schedule. Unless you wish to spend months without a day off working rotating shifts, for your own good, refuse.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay is negotiable, but as managers are paid a direct bonus from the salary pool for money they do not pay out, do not expect serious and respectful exchange. The salary will be dictated to you and you will either accept it or be forced to refuse the job altogether.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Photojournalist Interview

Photojournalist
Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Gannett.

Interview Details – Moved to current location from another Gannett property but still had to interview along with drug and background checks. The company line of "if you work at one Gannett property you work at them all" only applies if you play the Gannett game. It is now more who you know than your CV and experience.

Interview Question – There was not one.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – We are union, so the pay is what it is. You can negotiate where on the escalator the starting pay is if they want you.

Artist Assistant Interview

Des Moines, IA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gannett in July 2013.

Interview Details – Tests were given to see if you were a good fit for the company.

Maintenance Engineer/Video Editor Interview

New Orleans, LA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Gannett in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by two members of the management staff and found it to be a very congenial experience. They were friendly, coherent, and were very focused on their particular needs and related questions.

Interview Question – There were some aspects pertaining to particular operating procedures related to a newsroom that I was not entirely familiar with.   Answer Question

Assistant to the Publisher Interview

Nashville, TN

I applied online - interviewed at Gannett in January 2014.

Interview Details – I found the job posting on Indeed.com and immediately applied. I didn't think anything of it and then a couple weeks later, got an email from the publisher to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was short and pretty easy. Just had to go over my resume. During the interview he told me he wanted to schedule an in person interview. It was for a week later. Went to the in-person and met with publisher and another employee. They went over the job details and the atmosphere of the office. They were both really nice and the interview seemed to go well. Unfortunately, they went internal for the position, even though they really liked me.

Interview Question – I should have been prepared for it, but, Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service/Advertising - Part Time Interview

Mountain Home, AR

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Gannett in September 2010.

Interview Details – First, had to travel there just to pick up a written application, complete & submit it. Second, travel again a few days later for interview. Third, travel one more time for 2nd interview with another party. All this for a minimum wage part-time job?

Interview Question – 2nd young interviewer seemed to not believe I knew anything about a computer despite the fact that I've been using them continuously--probably since before he was born.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Digital Account Executive Interview

Digital Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Gannett in December 2013.

Interview Details – I would say that the entire process was not out of the ordinary or unexpected. The very last interview was with the director of the department for which I would be hired. that person did not know or understand what was being spoken about. You would expect that the Director of a Digital department would under stand what lead gen is.

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Gannett.

Interview Details – 2 interviews on phone before face to face interview. brush up on your CNA questions and overcoming objections before face to face meeting. then be ready for more phone interviews with upper management

Interview Question – Role playing: be ready to act out a cold call.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Gannett

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gannett interview questions and advice. All 50 interview reviews posted anonymously by Gannett employees and interview candidates.