Gannett Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.8

Designer Interview

Interview

I talked with the creative director on the phone. At that time I wasn't too sure how the design studio operated, so I asked a couple questions, but the CD did most of the talking. Went for a visit a couple weeks later, but there was never a formal interview process. I felt like I was doing the interviewing, which was easier, but also unsettling. Come to find out there is a pretty high turnover rate, so that may be why it was so stress-free.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Springfield, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett (West Springfield, VA).

Interview

Initially contacted by Talent/HR Recruiter to set up initial phone interview, second and final interview was with the President and CEO of division I was going to be working for.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gannett (Rancho Cucamonga, CA).

Interview

Interviewed with a recruiter first, phone only. Basic questions, was provided with little insight on the company and basic salary & commission structure. Second interview was with an area sales manager. This interview lasted 2 hours for me. Lots of insight on the day to day activities of the rep. Mostly they want to know how well you work independently, handle stress of deadlines, and meet goals. Third interview with regional manager and VP. The entire hiring process was about a month.

Interview Questions

• How do you overcome objections to meet your sales goal?   1 Answer

Purchasing Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Gannett (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Very impressed. 3 face-to-face; 1st including IQ, situational aptitude and behavioral testing. Was asked to write brief essay on why I wanted to work for the company. Very professional interview process.

Interview Questions

• Given a specified negotiating situation (can't recall specifics), what would be my strategy for closing a favorable transaction for the company.   Answer Question

Journalist Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Gannett.

Interview

Went through multiple people including the top editors. Fairly standard process. Was given a few test assignments and had to explain what I would do to complete them. Writing test, copy editing etc.

Interview Questions

• How would you cover this current news event (the drought, the shooting in charleston)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted their initial salary offer.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett (McLean, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial contact through referral. Phone screen with Sr. Manager and then very thorough phone screen with another manager 2 or 3 days later. Within 24 hours scheduled for in person interview which took place the following week.

Interview Questions

• Focused on project and specific examples of individual contributions   Answer Question

Artist Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call. When I came in for an interview there was an interview portion with 2 interviewers. Then there was a tour of the company and assessments were administered based on typing skills, and proficiency in adobe suite software on mac computers.

Campaign Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and heard from a corporate recruiter a week later. We set up a phone interview for the following day and then afterwards we set up an in person interview which was the following week. That interview consisted of me and two managers, after that interview i met immediately with the head manager. Was given an offer the following business day.

Interview Questions

• What would your last employer say is your biggest weakness or area of improvement?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

First was a phone screen. I was asked specific finance related questions about journal entries, variance analysis and pivot tables. Then a 1:1 interview where the company met me and personal things were asked and shared to get to know me as a person. Then the third and final interview was a general phone interview with someone out of state who was higher up in the company. The entire hiring process went great.

Interview Questions

• Explain what variance analysis is.   1 Answer

Full Stack Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett (McLean, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

Went through a process of several phone calls, the final being part technical screening, part interview with managers. The technical interview was conducting before a panel of developers at gannett as well as in the presence of the hiring managers. Different members of the team took turns coming up with questions and brain teasers for me to answer.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions included brainteasers such as: 1) You have 2 eggs and a building with 100 stories, what is the most efficient way to determine the highest floor you can drop an egg from? 2) There are 10 soldiers on one side of a river & 2 boys in a small boat on the river. The boat can hold 2 boys, or one soldier- how can all the soldiers be transported across the river? 3) 2 trains are travelling, determine all the possible questions needed to know when they will pass each other fully? 4) how can you determine the angle between the minute hand and hour hand of a watch? Followed by technical questions drawing on knowledge of HTML, CSS, Javascript. This included questions about writing algorithms to reverse strings, perform searches, etc. Basic algorithm questions really.   1 Answer