Gannett Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2014
Updated Aug 21, 2014

2.9

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gannett.

Phone interview with recruiter, then in person interview with future boss, then awkward second interview with some other members of the office. Overall not a bad experience, but I definitely walked out each time feeling like a country bumpkin (which I later discovered the hard way was just the overall culture of the company).

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't any unusual questions....nothing out of the ordinary as far as an interview.   Answer Question

Director of Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Gannett in February 2010.

I was referred by a formeer co-worker who now worked at this company, I had a bit of coaching from a previous employee who was also working at the company. He knew the guy I was working for and gave me a insight into some of the answers he would want to hear.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was my plan to pursue new business   View Answer
    I asked if that was their best offer and referenced my experience

Digital Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Gannett in April 2014.

Originally, the process seemed to going well. I applied for the position. The Director of Digital Sales reached out to me, we scheduled a phone interview. For the initial phone interview, she was "tied up" with a client and asked to reschedule it. I was accommodating and rescheduled it. She actually remembered and called me. It went well, and we scheduled a face to face interview. It went well. She introduced me to a Local Sales Manager, the Director of Sales and two Account Executives. I had another phone interview with someone located in New York. It seemed to go well. Then I waited, and waited. I reached to check the status of the position. I didn't hear back from anyone. I checked the website today, and learned that it was filled. My issue is not that I did not get the job, but when a person goes through as many hurdles as I did, it would be nice to at least be informed that a decision was made.

Account Executive Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gannett.

Recruited by email - process took about 2 weeks.

Not negociable

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Gannett in August 2012.

Three part process, phone, role play, and in person

Copy Editor Interview

I was asked to interview by the company. They emailed me to see if I would be interested in applying because I was recommended as a potential candidate. Arranging a meeting time was very easy, and the interview itself was relaxed but professional. I also had to take a copy editing test that was timed. This was a small publication, so the process was a bit less formal. They let me know by email and phone that they were offering me a job.

Interview Questions
    • They wanted to know if I would be available and comfortable doing work out of the office. Sometimes I would need to edit breaking news when I wasn't meant to be working, and they wanted to know if that was acceptable.   Answer Question

Broadcast Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied in-person - interviewed at Gannett in December 2013.

Unless you have well-rooted connections in management, don't expect to get an interview, and if you do, downplay your qualifications because the management structure of Gannett favors promoting people unqualified for their positions and anyone possessing actual job skills is viewed as a threat to their employment security. If you wish to work here, just kiss up to the interviewer and anyone you encounter who looks to be in authority as that is the only thing your actual job will ever entail. Don't worry about your abilities or lack thereof to perform the listed job description. Short of burning down the building, the less qualified you appear, the more likely you are to be hired and retained by Gannett.

Interview Questions
    • When asked about your ability to work alternative shifts, even if you are open to this possibility, refuse. Managers view a strong work ethic as a sign of poor self esteem and will ruthlessly exploit any answer in the affirmative when it comes to filling holes in the schedule. Unless you wish to spend months without a day off working rotating shifts, for your own good, refuse.   Answer Question
    Pay is negotiable, but as managers are paid a direct bonus from the salary pool for money they do not pay out, do not expect serious and respectful exchange. The salary will be dictated to you and you will either accept it or be forced to refuse the job altogether.

Photojournalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Gannett.

Moved to current location from another Gannett property but still had to interview along with drug and background checks. The company line of "if you work at one Gannett property you work at them all" only applies if you play the Gannett game. It is now more who you know than your CV and experience.

Interview Questions
    We are union, so the pay is what it is. You can negotiate where on the escalator the starting pay is if they want you.

Artist Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Des Moines, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gannett in July 2013.

Tests were given to see if you were a good fit for the company.

Maintenance Engineer/Video Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Gannett in November 2013.

I was interviewed by two members of the management staff and found it to be a very congenial experience. They were friendly, coherent, and were very focused on their particular needs and related questions.

Interview Questions
    • There were some aspects pertaining to particular operating procedures related to a newsroom that I was not entirely familiar with.   Answer Question