1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Online Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gannett (Rochester, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

Submitted an application through Gannett's corporate website for a job at one of their papers and heard back from the managing editor I'd be working for the next day via email. Had a phone interview shortly thereafter. My future boss didn't seem very well prepared for the interview. He kept asking me questions about my background that were already on my resume and then when I gave him an answer he would go, "Hmm, OK. That's interesting," almost as if he never read my resume. He also never discussed or let me ask about what would be required of me in the position. It was a continual overview of my previous experience (which was a couple years more than the position required). At the end of the phone interview he asked for an analysis of part of his paper's website (essentially free consulting work) and writing samples, both of which I promptly turned in. I was contacted after those were received and told "I didn't do the analysis right." I did -- I didn't misunderstand his instructions; he simply changed his mind on what he wanted which prompted him to ask for a second analysis. Turned in my second analysis and this was followed by a second phone interview. This phone interview was worse than the first one. Again, no talk about what would be required for the position, nor any talk of future ideas for the position. I kept thinking, "For a guy in the communications field, he has a terrible time communicating." At the end of the interview I was told I'd be contacted about the position with a yes or no answer. Weeks went by and I heard nothing. Finally, I sent a follow up email and got a generic "we found someone with more experience response." Overall, I found the interview process pretty unprofessional as I seemed way more prepared than the interviewer and the overall time frame seem excessive -- it took a month to do two phone interviews and get a decision from the managing editor. I'm glad I was not offered the position because if someone is hard to work with in the interview process, imagine what it would be like having them as your full-time boss. A note: this interview review only applies to a paper in New York and not to any other Gannett newspaper or Gannett corporate. More than likely I simply got a bad interviewer, so I'm sure experiences will vary.

Interview Questions