Gap General Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 7, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Washington, DC).

Interview

Saw the position was open, so reached out to the listing recruiter to begin the conversation. Phone interview with recruiter, in-person interview with a Sr General Manager at a neighboring store, in-person interview with the District Manager, phone interview with the Regional Manager. I already knew other people within the organization who also reached out to the District Manager to recommend me from the inside. Because the recruiters work directly for Gap, not contract, once I passed the recruiter interview everything was handled by the District Manager. The process took nearly 8 weeks from the initial phone interview to offer. Gap uses Strengths Finder and Emotional Intelligence 2.0 for field leadership, so having done both of those and being able to speak to my Strengths and EI was very helpful in the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you develop a team (apparently a lot of turn-over, so growing bench is a critical strength)   Answer Question
  • How do you drive results? How do you drive results through your team?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Gap

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gap.

Interview

I was pleased to be reached by a recruiter on LinkedIn about an open position. She got me in contact with an HR person that I had a few conversations with and one phone interview lasting 2 hours. I then had a follow up phone interview with the DM and another phone interview with the HR person. Lastly I was invited to an in person interview with a training lady. All in all every interview went great, smooth conversation, no difficult questions I couldn't answer. They even talked about pay, bonuses, when I could start how my training would go. Was told I would get a call in a few days from the last interview and then I never heard a word again. I reached out twice over a month span but got nothing. Would've been nice to have some feedback after 5 in depth interviews.

General Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gap in August 2014.

Interview

The hiring and interview process was ridiculously long, over a month with three separate interviews all encompassing the same questions. Towards the end I almost just accepted a different offer from another company because I was tired of waiting on them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The salary negation phase was easy and quick and at the very end of the process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Chicago, IL) in December 2011.

Interview

It was fun. I really enjoyed the entire process and can't wait to do it again.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2011.

Interview

Interviewed with the recruiter, General manager and two DM's. A very positive experience. Lots of behavior questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate a team to drive results?   Answer Question
    • What are you currently working on to continue your personal development?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Gap (Austin, TX) in September 2010.

Interview

I went through several different interviews. The first was with a recruiter who referred me to the District Manager. I then interviewed with a peer DM, and lastly with a Regional Director. Because of location, 3/4 interviews were done on the telephone. The questions were standard and leadership as well as behavioral based.

Interview Questions

• If you could change one thing about your current work environment, what would it be?   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Gap in March 2012.

Interview

Received phone call from national recruiter, asked general questions about myself and why I wanted to work at Gap. Then arranged for a 1:1 interview with the DM which was behavioral based questions around my leadership style.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to confront a peer   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you received feedback you didn't agree with?   Answer Question

Salary not competitve.