Gap International Management Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014

2.7

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Management Consultant Interview

Met a recruiter at a career fair. Set up a phone interview the next day. A few weeks later I took their BCO and had two days of interviews with their directors and vice presidents. Everyone was very friendly and conversational. Not a typical interview process

Interview Questions
  • What is it about yourself that causes you to feel and act negatively?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Gap International

Management Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Gap International.

This company is HORRENDOUS! I go to a very respected college and saw Gap International's listing on our career website. I applied for a position, thinking Gap International was a consulting firm. I soon learned that Gap International is a very bizarre, wishy-washy sales firm. They basically sell their bizarro "breakthrough performance" packages to desperate companies. This is not a strategy consulting firm. You will not be management consultant. It's a sales position, essentially.

The recruiter who I talked to rambled on for forty minutes about how "revolutionary" Gap International was and how success in life is about "changing your thinking." Sounded like an infomercial! This woman was not a good communicator and would be a terrible consultant at a real firm like BCG. She didn't even ask me anything about my background or qualifications -- she just talked and talked and TALKED.

I hung up on her because I was so creeped out. Stay away from this terrible company!

Management Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gap International.

Introduced to Gap International at a University Career Fair. Followed up with the recruiter by email, which resulted in an hour long phone interview/conversation. This then led to a formal first round interview at headquarters. Before the interview I was required to complete a 3-4 hour long online course on Breakthrough thinking. (Currently still in the interviewing process).

Interview Questions
    • No cases. I met with 4 Directors and it was primarily them getting to know me and me getting to know them. It was mostly led by my questions and their questions about me as a person and my interest in Gap International.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Gap International.

Very long interview process - initial phone interview, then they bring you into the office on three separate occasions. The first two times, you will be at the office for 4-6 hours and meet with maybe 4 people, generally for about 30 minutes each. Yes, your math is correct - there is a lot of sitting around and waiting (although they do give you lunch, which is nice). The final interview is with their executive team. The entire process took about 5 weeks, which sounded like it was faster than usual for them. Very unusual interview process, as they seem completely fine with wasting your time and their employees' time.

Interview Questions
    • Interviews were informal in nature; there did not seem to be a "checklist" of questions to ask, they were mostly "getting to know you" one-on-one conversations. However, during these conversations, a number of people asked questions that don't seem necessary and which I think are actually not allowed (by law): e.g. how old are you, do you have a girlfriend (and then - what's her name...what's her last name, what does she do), do you plan on getting married, do you plan on having kids, what do your parents do for a living, where do they work, etc. I will note that most of these didn't seem forced - they just came up in the course of the conversation. Still - if the questions aren't allowed, employees involved in the interview process should know that (and a couple of the questions were asked by senior HR people, who must know better). Gave a bad feeling that the company wanted to be super involved in your life and there would be litter separation of work/life.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Gap International.

For the first interview, they just had me speak with an HR person along with another person in the company, who had interests that align with mine. For the second set of interviews, I had to interview with 4 people over the course of a day, on BlueJeans, which is something like Skype. Then, they brought me into their office to interview with 4 different people. They have a very extensive interview process that culminates in an interview in front of 12 VPs, all at once. In this interview you are asked to describe yourself. The interview process was very long and took place over 4 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • What are your qualities that you would prefer not to share. (List 3 of them)   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Gap International.

The interview process at Gap is extremely involved. Mine too 4 months and I interviewed with close to 15 people, if not more. I went into the office on three separate occasions and had a few telephone interviews as well. There weren't any case study or business analysis questions... they really just wanted to get a sense of who you are a person and what drives you.

Management Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Gap International.

Was contacted to set up a preliminary phone interview. On the day of interview I was called an hour before my scheduled time and my interviewer apologized for calling late. When I courteously informed her she's actually early, but I could continue with the interview anyway, she said she will call me back at the scheduled time. I wasn't called back until 45 minutes after the scheduled time. I was asked two basic questions about my resume and when I was answering the second question I was rudely interrupted and asked to hold. I was on hold for three minutes when my interviewer came back on and said she had to go. It was the most unorganized and unprofessional interview I've ever had. I never bothered to follow up with the interviewer because if this is the way they treat people they are trying to woo into work for them, I can't imagine how bad they will treat you when they actually get you in the door.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was "Tell me about why you want to be a consultant" because they never let me answer before I was put on hold for three minutes.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gap International.

Gap International has a very long and intensive interview process (You will have approximately 10-12 separate interviews). The first interview consisted of a 30 minute phone interview, which mostly consisted of a resume walk-through and behavioral questions. Two weeks later I was contacted to come into the Philadelphia headquarters for a full day of interviews (five separate interviews). The next round of interviews involved returning to the headquarters for a full day of interviews with multiple vice presidents. As mentioned earlier, the final round consists of one final interview with all vice presidents and the CEO seated around a table. There are no case style interviews throughout the whole process, but mostly behavioral style interviews. Be aware that many interviewers may pry into your personal life, and in several cases you will feel like you are talking to a shrink and undergoing a psychiatric evaluation. Overall, the people I encountered were always very friendly, upbeat, and positive.

Interview Questions

As anyone who has read Gap International's Glassdoor page will know, there exists huge discrepancies between the positive reviews gushing about the company and the scathing negative reviews. After going through the whole process and receiving an offer, I declined for the following reasons:

Firstly, your starting salary is a pathetic 40,000-42,000 dollars and keep in mind you will be working LONG hours at this company. You will hear from interviewers, especially vice presidents, that Gap International does not like to talk about work life balance (I think the CEO actually wrote a piece about this subject in the Huffington Post), a dead give-away that there is no work life balance. You will be working many weekends throughout the year (easily 12 hours on a Saturday and Sunday) as the company's workshops which Consultants lead take place then. In addition, you will undergo countless hours of coaching on the weekends; thus it is not uncommon to have twelve straight days of work. In addition, you need to ask yourself if you want a job where a third of your work will consist of sales, i.e. making cold calls. The company does not hire sales people.

Secondly, I began to realize when I was interviewing with the vice presidents that Gap is basically a therapy center for corporate executives. The work you do here will frankly not be applicable outside this company, and I suspect that one of the biggest reasons why so many of the employees have been there for such long periods is that they cannot get out.

Thirdly, the company is inbred, just take a look at the executive page on the website and many of the interviewers I encountered had family members working there.

I know it may be easy to be swayed by the numerous positive reviews of this company, but pay attention to the fact that they are all by current employees and practically none by past employees. One of my favorite statements consisted of a current employee saying that the amount of hours you will work will be comparable to McKinsey. That may well be true, but you would be making double what you would at this place.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Gap International in October 2012.

Campus Recruitment. First round was pretty straight forward. Interviewer asked mainly about previous work and school experience. Also asked why I wanted to work at Gap as opposed to another consulting firm.

Good experience overall. Nice and helpful interviewer, got to second round of interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gap International in March 2012.

Very intensive interview. Just keep in mind though that though you will be talking to upwards of 10 or 12 people, they will have already made a judgement of whether or not you can do the work for the job early on. All the rest of the interviews are opportunities for you to get to the know the personality of the company. They really care about not just hiring competent personnelle, but more importantly hiring someone for whom the work content and environment is really a perfect fit. GAP really cares about hiring personnelle that are fulfilled by what they do, and they spend a lot of energy finding people just like that.

So don't worry about the fact that you have so many people to talk to. And remember you dont need to try to sell yourself for the job at every opportunity; if they allow you to continue past the initial phase of interviews, more than likely they already have identified you as a good fit for the job. Now they just want to make sure the job and the company are a good fit FOR YOU. Not a bad philosophy if you ask me.

If you make it to the last interview, you will be seated at a large table surrounded by all umpteen vice presidents and C_O's for a final group interview. It was very daunting especially since they didn't ask me any questions. They just told me to talk...so that's what I did. I must have said something right because I received a job offer the me day.

Interview Questions
    • What are you like on a bad day? What am I gonna have to deal with from you when you are at your worst?   View Answer
    No opportunity for negotiation. Low starting salary but it rises over time.