Gap Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gap (New York, NY).

Interview

They gave me a call to schedule an interview at their Times Square location. I was already nervous as it was my first job but when I got there the manager seemed to be in such a bad mood and none of my answers seem to satisfy him.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Gap

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Gap (Texas City, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview was very fast and smooth, got brought back to the break room and the interviewer simply asked about myself, my previous job experience and my expected hours and pay; really simple and easy interview!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Gap (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I had two interview with GAP. My first interview with GAP is with the store that they got back to me about 2 days after I applied. I had the interview the next 2 days. There are the store manager and the Assistant manager interview me. They are very friendly and relax. They ask me some basic question and ask me to pick out the outfit and convince their to buy. I didn't get the job the first time. My second GAP at another location, this is one-one interview. She also very friendly and relax. She asked a few questions like the first interview. Both oF the interview is conservations. At the end of the interview. She said she will give her decision to the new manager ( because she move to another location) . After a week, I received the call to offer the job and ask if I can come to the Orientation on Sunday. I so excited to start working there

Interview Questions

• What is your availability?
      How you deal with difficult customers?
      "What if..." Questions
      Pick out an outfit

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gap (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online back in the beginning of January and got a super unexpected call in the middle of March. I guess it had to do with the hiring process, because I was told they were hiring a lot of people now. The interview was very laid back but went very well, felt just like a conversation and not an interview. I was interviewed in the middle of the store so I was expecting to be pulling items off the rack for an outfit. It barely lasted about seven minutes but by the end of it I think she had already made her decision, felt pretty good about it. Got a call back on Friday (interview was on Monday). They are looking for "energetic, friendly, smiling people" so just be yourself!

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gap.

Interview

Required an application submitted online. It was straightforward and easy to fill out with a picture quiz of different situations that may happen on the floor and how you would handle them. Once I submitted that, I was asked to come in for a group interview with other candidates. Once I passed that step, I met with the General Manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Gap (Corte Madera, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online, recieved an email a few days later, came in for a super easy and quick one on one conversation and was offered a job! Very casual interview. Dress similar to the store Gap itself, but it is up to you. Interview is like a conversation, they want to get to know your personality more than anything else.

Interview Questions

• What is one of the best and one of the worst experiences youve had with customer service?   1 Answer
    • How do you keep up with fashion trends?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gap (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied online on the Gap hiring website website. One of the managers called me about a week (maybe less) later. The manager gave me a description of the sales associate position but did not ask too many questions for me to consider it a phone interview. She asked me to come in for a one on one later that week. Very laid back.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you faced something difficult and how did you overcome it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gap (Portland, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

I went & asked the manager at Gap outlet in-person if she was hiring.
    She said yes, so I went home I applied about 3 days later.
    I gave her a call the morning I applied, telling her to let her know, referencing that we'd met in-person, etc.
    She said she'd try to get me into an interview the next week, but she never called me back.
    So I called for the 2nd time, asked her about my application & why no call-back, she said she'd try to get me in again the coming week.
    I was surprised when she actually kept her word the second time around & called me that Tuesday.
    She asked if I'd prefer interview on Wednesday or Saturday (valentines day) & asked me to come in at 2. I chose Saturday so I'd have more time to prepare.
    The interview was supposed to be a group one. But it was only me and one other girl, the other person never showed up. There were 2 interviewers, one young dude one young lady.
    All in all it was pretty easy.

The hardest part was reviewing the Gap card flash cards & trying to sell it to the lady interviewer at the end.
    Mainly bc I've never done that before, I was trying to draw on how I see other cashier sell cards but I think I did ok. Maybe a bit timid.
    We also picked out surprise date night outfits beforehand, I chose the lady's, the other girl interviewee chose the guy's outfit.

Lastly, I wasn't too surprised to be denied in the email I got a couple days later because the other girl I was being interview with worked at Nordstrom previously. I'm a high schoolar with no retail experience what so ever. So she kept talking about her past job at Nordstrom & I could only talk about fellow volunteers I worked with or my favorite teacher, instead of favorite boss /:

Interview Questions

• “Name & your favorite summer thing to do?”
      “Talk about your favorite teacher or boss and what made them your favorite?”
      “Do you think a Team goal or a Single, personal goal is more important? Like which would you pick and why?”
      “Describe a time where you dealt with an uncomfortable event?”
      “What about a time where you didn’t agree with the rules but followed them anyway? It doesn’t have to be anything super serious, it could be the dress code you had to wear to work, etc”
      “Tell me about a time where you received feedback from a coworker?”
      “Tell me about about a time you received great customer service?”
      “Do you have any questions for us?”

1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Gap.

Interview

Applied online, received a call about a week later, went in for a group interview the following week, received a phone call a few days later notifying me of employment.

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic interview questions - tell me about yourself, why do you want to work for The Gap, tell me a time you had a conflict with an employee/customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Gap.

Interview

I was contacted for an interview almost immediately after filling out the application online. We walked over to the food court - it was very casual. The manager and a manager-in-training both interviewed me. Mostly the questions were based about my experience at previous retail positions. Nothing caught me off guard, or no question was too difficult to ask. If you're friendly and enjoy a retail position - you will do fine.

Interview Questions

• What was your worst experience with a customer?   1 Answer